Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
*rushes into the thread bearing Japanese Puro gifs*

"Behold: a redneck!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bloopsy posted:

The wrestling business has been at the forefront of social justice issues such as prison reform. They not only gave a recently released convict a second chance at life through gainful employment when others would have turned him away, they actively enoucraged him to use his position as a platform to air his grievances. The business should be commended for empowering the wronged to speak out against injustice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Hb3BPwam8

You linked the wrong vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUblZ9bD30k

mdk

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Gifs courtesy of the Kota Ibushi Professional Wrestling Research Institute

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

Am I the only one who randomly thinks about Kanyon a lot? (edit: well, I guess "a lot" is a bit of an exaggeration, but like, a non-zero amount of time despite the fact that he died over a decade ago.) I liked him a lot, and I felt so bad for him.

He gave his whole self to wrestling and I appreciate it, but god drat.

Chris Kanyon was great, a top tier wrestler who was one of the first openly gay performers in the modern business

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

YeahTubaMike posted:

How long was Kanyon actually open about it? I'm not trying to minimize the fact that he came out at all, which was obviously difficult considering he tried to make a work out of it -- I'm just curious.

edit: also RIP Pat Patterson

'06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKOzxVNcKok

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

Nobody better than Kanyon. :unsmith:

One Kanyon's prize students was sentient beef golem Brian Cage, who to this day still does little Kanyon shoutouts here and there (most recently in his AEW promos). It is extremely wholesome and makes me smile every time.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efINmPVZuac

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Code Jockey posted:

I know literally nothing about wrestling except that it exists and Hulk Hogan is a racist, and I'm already a Maki Itoh fan, she rules

You should watch some wrestling duder it's good as hell

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

If someone thinks wrestling is fake and not real and therefore not worth watching I have some bad news about all your favorite films

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/HulkHogan/status/125437560418865152

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

cody rhodes murdered shaq on live television and now he's dead

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Nah Shaq disappeared out of the ambulance they loaded him into.

Where to? Find out on Shaq Lifetm!

no shaq died and ascended into heaven

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bonzo posted:

The Little People wrestling (I don't know if "midget" if offensive to anyone so...), what ever happened to that? Yes I know jokes were made at their expense but those guys have some moves!

Mini-Estrella wrestling (Spanish for Small Star) has a long and storied tradition in Mexico's lucha libre. One of the biggest names is Mascarita Sagrada who's an absolutely jaw-dropping athlete

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

That is bad rear end.

There have been luchadores that debut in a mask, work their whole careers in it, eventually die, and are buried wearing their mask. All with the public never knowing their faces or real names.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Bonzo posted:

do they still star in their own movies?

There's a whole cottage film industry centered around them, it also exists in the states and Japan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFqrx9KIbyQ

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

is that el santo/samson the silver mask man

Santo made like 50+ movies, then there's the comics, the toys, the TV stuff...

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

yeah i saw the mst3k one, so that's him, right?

There's a very slim chance it's not given that impostors were always willing to try and game a few bucks out of rural theaters, but given the production quality it's almost certainly the man himself

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

It also has lots of the old guys doing managers roles, above and beyond just Sting (who will be wrestling at the next ppv :stare:). Jake the Snake, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, and Vickie Guerrero are all regulars, and folks like Jerry Lynn, Dean Malenko and Brett Hart have all appeared.

Plus Big Show and Tony Schiavone on commentary.

It’s a good mix of old guys who I recognize from watching back in the early to mid 90s and younger guys who do athletic stuff that you couldn’t dream of back then.

AEW has been very shrewd about what old folks they bring in and why, as they mainly want them as trainers/agents (backstage officials who go over the particulars of matches with wrestlers), as well as onscreen talent.

Tony Schiavone was a real standout when you stop and look at the full arc of his career. He was involved in wrestling from a fairly young age for an announcer/interviewer, and eventually rose to become one of the main voices of WCW. As the company became gradually shittier and shittier, the locker room got more and more toxic, Tony became deeply depressed (which came through in his work). Eventually the ship sank and Tony bailed, thinking he hated the business and wanting little to nothing to do with it. Overall he wouldn't be seen in wrestling for nearly 20 years. He carved out a small but comfortable niche for himself calling minor league baseball games, high school football matches, etc, but times were tough and in order to provide healthcare coverage for his family he ended up working as a drive through guy at Starbucks (at the time it was the quickest way to get his kids coverage).

Time passes, his kids start graduating college, and he eventually starts phasing into a more podcast focused track (again focusing on regional sports). He tried to get work as a television producer, and even contacts WWE (who, apparently, ghosted him after saying they would bring him in), but nothing come through. The team that would found AEW slowly started coalescing, and Tony was contacted by Cody Rhodes to come see what was going on at their first few branded performances. Being old friends with the late Dusty Rhodes, and having both Rhodes brothers on board got him to hang out at a few early shows, and eventually he signed full time when owner Tony Khan basically begged him to commentate (and no doubt backed a dumptruck of money to his front door). Early AEW matches he called were literally just watching Tony fall back in love with wrestling, and 90% of it was just him yelling "WOW!!" "HOLY COW!!" "OH MY GOD!!" over and over again. He's since found his footing and is as good as he ever was, working primarily alongside JR and teaching TV newcomer Excalibur the commentary ropes.

He also started hosting AEW Unrestricted, a podcast/YouTube interview show that has in depth interviews with talent and staff (alongside cohost/referee/game designer Aubrey Edwards). He jokes; "I go on TV every week to say 'That's right JR!' and 'You're right Excalibur!' and they pay me for it. It's the greatest job in the world, they'll never get rid of me!" He's just so clearly having the time of his life every week, and it's amazing to see the overall journey of a guy go from huge fan, to one of the biggest voices in the industry, to prodigal son, and eventually redemption and happiness. WCW was a big part of my childhood, and it warms the corners of my cold black heart to see him doing so well and having so much fun.

And now as is wrassle postin tradition, gifs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

The Rabbi T. White posted:

I’m just getting round to watching Double or Nothing and this opening match between Page and Cage is incredible.

That whole ppv was so so good.