Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gavok posted:

There was a tag team of a Mario cosplayer and a Vega cosplayer who called themselves the Super Smash Brothers. But then they got on TV and couldn't call themselves that, so they were an evil team of supervillains with an army of masked henchmen following them around. They were eventually reimagined as a riff on Scientology and recruited some new members. Then their boss was introduced as a parody of Vince McMahon, down to his real life quirks (ie. freaking out when anyone sneezes) and they became commentary on how WWE is absolutely a cult in the way it treats its employees. Then all the members started filming comedy sketches on YouTube that turned them into a group of lovable dorks constantly being yelled at by their psychotic monster of a boss. Also, their cult got a sponsorship deal with Chili's and new members included a different wrestler's sweet mother and the comedian Sinbad.

Recently, the boss guy legit died from lung failure and his cult of idiots became good guys by default. They asked an alcoholic cowboy with anxiety issues to join their cult and his refusal was treated as the most heartbreaking thing for both sides. Also, the dead boss guy's 8-year-old son is now in charge of the group.

So anyway, that's why the Dark Order is rad as hell. Other than the leader dying. That part sucked.
gently caress I completely just skimmed this and thought Player Uno died. Sucks enough that Brodie did.

On the other hand, seems I really need to get on AEW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

That I thought Ultimate Warrior was really cool when I was 5 and found out later he was the uncoolest sucker who ever disgraced things may be why'd I fell away from the light for so long.
Sometimes it goes the other way. Back when Batista was new and I was following wrestling only very loosely I wrote him off as some stereotypical Jersey Shore meathead and never gave it a second thought for years. I got a bit more curious when he started being in movies, and not just WWE-produced vehicle for a wrestler movies. Eventually read up on him and found his twitter and it's like... wall to wall unconditional BLM support, LGBTQ support, Bernie Sanders, and vocally speaking out against Donald Trump, Ted Cruz, that dreadful QAnon congresswoman, you name it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I watched the AEW show and it was good

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lid posted:

I missed Scott Steiner chat but never overlook this simple fact - in the Steiner Brothers Scott was the sane one. Rick was the one everyone was afraid of.
No wonder. Early 90s pro wrestling, everyone's got a silly day job or cartoony nationalist gimmick which all their ring clothes are designed around, and to show off their bodies, and one guy rolls up in a wrestling-the-classic-sport singlet and actual protective gear, you know this motherfucker means business a little too much than is entirely comfortable.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

WWE hired a wrestler who had experience as a Shakespearian actor. He was hoping he could use that as part of his wrestling character somehow. He also happened to be black.
Let's be realistic, they would have done an Othello thing, and I'm pretty sure nobody wants to be looking back on WWE's mid-2000s take on Othello.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Unfortunate choice to sign with his initials, considering

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well here's someone who was never going to get an invite to Chikara

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

wait are Rey and Lance and Jon supposed to be the heels in this feud

cause if they are I'm not good at watching wrestling

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I thought Matt Hardy was supposed to be 2021 Ted DiBiase.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At least the Misfits took part in matches and stuff, there's more of a point to be made for them.

... up to now all I knew about that was a vague "yup they sure were in WCW" but I read up on it and it's actually hilarious. Jerry Only had championship ambitions (to be fair: not that out of the way in WCW) and had his first ever match against Steve Williams in a cage, and Doyle stole and later married Macho Man's girlfriend.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Man if you've got the Jackass guys on I figure that's exactly how anyone expects them to take bumps

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Sabu of joshi.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

I wonder who ended up more problematic in that picture: The Headbangers or Marilyn Manson?
Mosh went on to have an incest gimmick, a gimmick whose angle shifted from "is a domestic abuser" to "girlfriend lied about being abused", and a gimmick where he was supposed to be vaguely Middle Eastern/Asian.

I always liked them unapologetically crossdressing, but knowing WWE there was a queerbashing thing going on with that that I was too dumb and the broadcast in my country too sanitized to get.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

blunt posted:

Pretty sure that's the Macho Man Randy Sausage

E; tomorrow night two very good wrestlemen are going to have an exploding barb wire deathmatch and it's gonna own.
It's so weird having one of those on bright and crisp HD television instead of on youtube from a fifth generation VHS copy originally shot in the 90s.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember watching the 2000 Royal Rumble with a buddy.

*Mick Foley pulls out a barbed wire bat*
"Hoo boy. Well that'll be plastic 'barbed wire', surely."
*HHH nails Foley over the back with the bat, visibly getting stuck in and tearing his shirt*
":stare:"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've been watching it for 4-5 weeks now, it owns and I'm super psyched for Revolution

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

genuinely distraught I can't watch it live and will have to steer well clear of this thread until I get the chance

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cubone posted:

then they rewound the video and watched in slow motion and yes his dick bulge and only his dick bulge flicked the top rope when he jumped over and you could see them both jiggle for a couple frames
I actually think this might be from a Botchamania, of which there are 430 so good luck

e: speaking of the latest one just came out and I think all of us know the star of the show

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Friend of mine turns out to find AEW completely ridiculous (Revolution didn't help), but hyped up the well-received Walter vs. Dragunov match from NXT, and, I dunno. It was definitely memorable and engaging, but it was also two beefy guys slapping each other raw for half an hour while grunting like they're passing a kidney stone and occasionally doing a German suplex. And Walter comes out straight up wearing an SS coat.

What is it with wrestlers having so much in-ring dialogue now, is that the new WWE house style now there's no audience, or have they always done it and you just hear it better now?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have hated Miro the character with a deep passion from the moment I first laid eyes on him, and have been a big fan of how well Miro the wrestler portrays him for the same length of time.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FullLeatherJacket posted:

]

you can't use a sledgehammer in a wrestling match
Wonder if Paul knows

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

there was what now

that was definitely not in Fighting With My Family

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hey now there are also various stables of very tough muscly men.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A clown makes the most sense out of any of the early 90s "job" gimmicks because wrestling is inherently such a carny sideshow business. Although by that logic Kizarney should have worked like an absolute charm, and he did not.

Evil Doink, by the way, but for the 90s, not for today when the whole evil clown thing is so prevalent that friendly clown is the subversion.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Completely par for the course for wrestling that the midcard has all the interesting characters and goofy stories while the main event scene is Very Serious and features largely interchangable dudes (although AEW is ahead of the curve by a great amount there, between Moxley and Omega and all).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

blunt posted:

To be fair there's also a wrestling dentist, a butcher and his kinky friends, a woman who believes she's an alien, a woman who believes she's a zombie, Tarzan and his large adult dinosaur, a goofy cult, a drunk cowboy, the I like turtles kid, a wrestler who hates having to wrestle, whatever Matt Hardy is doing this week, a stable of twitch streamers and however you'd describe the lucha bros.
Important addition: an unhinged lunatic who evens the score in his handicap matches against tag teams by wielding a luchador

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7xTMibYPlg

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Eclipse12 posted:

King
Of
The
Ring
The 1993 King of the Ring is the very first wrestling I ever saw. I'll probably have a thing or two to say too :v:

For starters, I'm realizing that embarassingly, I must have been necessarily a bit older than I thought I'd have been when I saw it, considering the investment I would have in it during the following years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I love that Miro is slowly becoming the guy from the Key & Peele UFC sketch

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

My very first wrestling memory is a shot of Razor's arse from this very opener

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Putting hyperfocused maniac Miro in a comedy props match sounds like ten times funnier than the comedy prop match alone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What are the storylines going into this year's Mania? Some friends and I might do an online watch party and I can't be arsed to look it up. I know we're getting boring old Randy Orton vs. the Boogeyman and I know we're getting another Steen vs. Generico.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He's got two hands and one penis (presumed), it's probably more like 33-66

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Of course the Japanese heel cheats using a gimmicked camera. Of course.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I remember Hulk Hogan intimidating a car alarm, and intensely scrutinizing both the movie and my WWF tapes in a personal pre-internet era to figure out if it was really the Undertaker and why the hell they wouldn't credit him as they did Hogan.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus Dynamite is a whole lot of non-match content this week. Just so much talking. Plus, I don't care about Mike Tyson one bit and now he's coming back next week? Spare me.

Did enjoy Sting calling out Jake the Snake on being a lovely mentor though.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

also jeez the Good Brothers are such aggressively non-characters

that match was a story between the Bucks and Omega and secondarily Moxley but the only reason the Good Brothers were in the picture is Matt and Nick would look right twats doing flips on their own

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Batista seems like a pretty okay guy too.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus Christ almighty that Fiend "match"

a wetter fart than the barbed wire match finish if only because it obviously went according to plan, meaning that's the best plan they could come up with

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Nevermind who won, just do something more than three DDTs, two Mandible Claws, one RKO and Alexa in a pear tree

and these day Randy is, at most, Rio Blast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

what did Bret do at Summerslam 93