Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Do it ironically posted:

There’s also a weird vibe because a lot of wrestling fans are Deep South USA racists and homophobic but wrestling is gay as hell (I love it), like it’s two dudes wearing speedo both roided up looking great just grappling each other and looking at the hard cam

It must be really confusing for those fans

And the other 1/3 of fans are African American

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

I still love this as much as I did 22 years ago when I first watched it. Skip to about 7:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGsBRImD0po

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Gavok posted:

Recently, the boss guy legit died from lung failure and his cult of idiots became good guys by default. They asked an alcoholic cowboy with anxiety issues to join their cult and his refusal was treated as the most heartbreaking thing for both sides. Also, the dead boss guy's 8-year-old son is now in charge of the group.

Is that Brody Lee's actual kid?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Goddamn wrestling is great/weird

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why am I not surprised that Val Venis is a complete loving weirdo? He's like a low-rent Marty Jannetty.

He's a D-list Ravishing Rick Rude

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Those guys sold the poo poo out of everything, wow.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Am I missing something? All of these look super clean?

Should land more on the back rather than the shoulders/neck I think?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

John Cena looks stupid with long hair. Also what the gently caress is happening here?

some bust on that guy posted:

For anyone who says wresting is fake, check out this WWF chocolate pudding match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTB0yJntCNM

Puppies! :suicide:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Gavok posted:

A spooky swamp preacher evolved into the host of a kids TV show with demonic undercurrents and could turn himself into a nigh-invincible monster clown. He challenged Cena to a match at Wrestlemania, but instead of having a wrestling match, he dragged Cena through time and space in what was supposed to be an artistic deconstruction of Cena's career. Then Cena vanished from reality and was never heard from again.

I..... See :crossarms:

Good god WWE is trash now.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

It got campy as gently caress in the mid 90s which lead to the Attitude Era but I don't think they could get that momentum again.

The fact that they have to drag Undertaker out every 2 years to have a match is telling.

They would need another WCW to push them I think, which probably won't happen given their size now.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

AEW exists, and is extremely cool and very good.

Oh absolutely, but they're not nearly as well financed and I don't think their goal is to challenge WWE supremacy anyway.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Counterpoint: their owner is a literal billionaire

Zeta Acosta posted:

the khans could legit buy the wwe if they wanted

vince is insane and i hope he tanks his own company before giving to stephanie and loving hhh of all people

I realize the Kahn's are actual billionaires but most of their (particularly Tony's) net worth is tied up in other franchises in far more lucrative sports. He can't just start throwing money at guys like Turner would/could do.

Also Kenny Omega and other co-owner have outright said they don't plan on competing directly with WWE, where that was Turner's main goal.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

They don't need to compete with WWE because they already won by getting Maki Itoh, the Cutest in the World and the Deity of poo poo. (google that because it's a bit nws)

:hai:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Vader didn't weigh 450 pounds lol. He's significantly smaller than a modern nfl lineman who tend to top out at around 350.

Uh yeah no I'm pretty sure he weighed at least 350

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

Raw Report: February 22, 1993

Tonight on Raw, Hulk Hogan's all like
https://i.imgur.com/fBVJCTa.gifv

Bam Bam Bigelow beat up some guy who accidentally wandered in off the street.

Interview with Hulk Hogan focused solely on his steroid scandal. Steroids were not mentioned.

Beverly Bros + Shawn Michaels vs Nasty Boys + Tatanka in triple tag team action. We will all, the announcers claim, go to Nastyville.

Crush fought Terry Taylor in a match I skipped.

Sign in the audience says "Hulk Homo." Classy.

Hogan shows up with extra greasy upper arms for another interview. He mentions quickly that he owns a beach house in Venice Beach. Hogan mushmouths his way through the interview and declares "I'm back."

Brutus's mangled face arrives and hams it up. Brutus admits he is now infected with Hulkamania and it's really running wild.

Jimmy Heart wears a non-Euclidian suit.

Hogan pretends to make up a team name, Mega Maniacs, on the spot, and it's a dumb enough name that he actually may really have created it then and there.

Hmm. Undertaker vs Skinner and there's only 2 minutes left in the episode. This does NOT bode well for Skinner.

Nvm, they just ran out of time. Episode's over. Moose out front should have told ya.

Overall, kinda dull tonight!

I remember all the early Raw's kind of sucking, I see that I remembered correctly.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

StarkRavingMad posted:

And the 24 Sai:

This one is like "I'm going to drop you on your neck. If you die, you die."

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Papa Shango went of to be The Godfather, right? The guy who would come into the rings with about 8 local strippers?

Excuse me sir, that's the HO TRAIN!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Fun Giant Gonzales fact: he was originally supposed to be the Yeti ("THE YET-AY") in WCW who'd be thawed from a block of ice by the Dungeon of Doom. Which was not the stupidest thing that happened in a year where Hogan & Savage fought a three-tier cage match against the President from the Fifth Element and The Ultimate Solution, who was originally going to be named The Final Solution before one of Turner's Standards & Practices guys picked up that piece of paper and presumably physically threw himself across his desk to get to the telephone. Or where Hogan and the Giant had a monster truck sumo match on top of the arena that resulted in Giant falling to his death before later showing up for the main event with no explanation.

Gonzalez ended up getting sick and going back to Argentina, but since they'd already promoted the character, they wrapped Ron Studd/Reese/Super Giant Ninja in bandages with the idea that they could "unwrap" him later to reveal Gonzales. This is why the Yeti, from the Himalayas, is somehow also a mummy, from Egypt. Who teams up with Giant to give Hogan a group hug.

Gonzales did not, in fact, return to the US to take up this gimmick

The NWO angle ended up causing a lot of problems in WCW but man was it better than most of WCW angles before it.

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like Macho Man the character, but Randy Poffo was creepy-possessive with Elizabeth.

Watch the Dark Side of the Ring for the full and horrible details of their relationship.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I started watching the nWo Nitros in order when lockdown started, and boy it's the coolest thing in the world for about six months (plus the undercard features about a dozen hall-of-famers), but then good god it just goes on forever and every single goddamn title match ends with fifteen dudes running down to administer a heavy sack beating on the babyface until all that's really been established is that your world title is meaningless and your babyfaces are morons

Agreed. Nitro was my go to show until they started splitting the nWo up into the factions

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

the early 90s had a brief period where it was good, then Hogan and his hangers-on came and Kevin Sullivan devised the Dungeon of Doom storyline to placate him

I was looking up Bischoff and I forgot how soon they gave him so much power.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

How the gently caress do you botch that move that badly

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

The problem with the Miz in 2021 is that MJF does his gimmick better in every way

MJF kicks rear end

Hahaha goddamn

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 24, 2021

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

I enjoy them here, but who knows how long this thread will last. I don't know if the wrasslin forum would appreciate it as much as us unwashed plebs in GBS

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

Thanks guys! I'll keep em coming. You'll regret it!

I don't think I will actually :colbert:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Make way for the greatest of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu18oxc0D3E

Well, I fell down the promo rabbithole and ended up watching Rock v Hogan again. Terrible technical match but goddamn there was some heat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHtuoOTLqys

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

Raw Report April 19, 1993

Provided without context: "You were knocked unconconscious at that Wrestlemania Brunch."

Note to self, don't go to any Wrestlemania brunch

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

frankenfreak posted:

Drew Carey was in a Royal Rumble and Donald Trump can at least claim he has taken a stunner. What did Kid Rock do?

Trump loving no-sold that stunner if I recall

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

*posts over 30 photos in one Raw Report*

I forget when RAW started lasting 2 hours but I hope it's during the attitude era for your sake

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

Yeah, it could be any of those. I guess they didn't have the schedule control that Turner did.

As for the "spoilers," I just watched an episode of The Monday Night War that talked about it. That's hilarious! I almost never watched WCW so that was new me to me. And in the documentary Vince, of all people, was butthurt because it was a dirty move. I'm assuming WCW was paying to send people to the Raw tapings and then having them report back? It's weird because the WWF always touted Raw as live... did they just inconspicuously not use that term for the taped shows? Since I only watched Raw I didn't know that spoiling was a thing happening at the other company.

I think they always wanted the tv audience to assume everything happened live.

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, is it safe to assume all the early 90s anti-drug PSAs came about because of the steroid scandal? Were they court-ordered? Or just trying to get some good PR?

Anti-drug poo poo was everywhere in the late 80s early 90s, I'm sure they were just joining the crowd.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

And who didn't love X-Pac!

Pretty much everyone

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Bogus Adventure posted:

The best DX member was Mr. rear end because 1) the name (lol), and 2) he needed to exist for the greatest promo of all time to be cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKVoTTQRxQ

Goddamn pre-movie Rock was amazing.

Speaking of Billy Gunn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNGEE5kufD4

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Can't believe that this thread which is ostensibly about wrestling is not discussing the hottest news in wrestling tonight.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1367284216824692739

Also a pretty nice powerbomb

https://twitter.com/AEWonTNT/status/1367282862408433664?s=20

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

low key sex master posted:

I still laugh at the fact that Trump called Triple H up and asked if Vince really got blown up in that limo

just an incredible self own all around

This man was the President of the United States for 4 years!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

no shaq died and ascended into heaven

No, Shaq is Kazaam irl

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Extra Large Marge posted:

Did they ever reveal who Mr America was?

I have my doubts that he's a real American

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Rarity posted:

I haven't seen an OP self own this hard since the Simpsons meme thread

1 post in he own thread, a shameful OP

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

[b]Raw Report May 10, 1993

Lol, Vince just called him the Kamikaze Kid. Even the announcers don't know who the hell he is.

Guaranteed his next time on Raw he'll be called Kamikaze Kid just to try and cover up Vince's mistake

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

He was "the .... Kid" for a while and was a jobber. He got the 1-2-3 moniker after upsetting razor Ramone on raw.

You're not supposed to spoil your own show Vince!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Rarity posted:

The match is a pre-tape so they can work around his conditioning :ssh:

And apparently it was a huge success

Edit: Going to watch Revolution tonight and I'm pumped (first ppv I've watched since Rock-Cena at Wrestlemania 29 I think)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well that pyro sucked but the match was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eclipse12 posted:

That's quite a show for a random Monday night (so next week will... suck?)[/b]

I'm shocked you even have to ask