Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
https://youtu.be/fqxvBzNblik?t=33

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

1redflag posted:

It’s a slobber knocker, OP, bygod

THAT MAN HAS A FAMILY!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Trump is in the WWE hall of fame

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pprlLlVhpQo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

There's an entire YouTube channel of old Memphis wrestling shows (TV and Arena matches) from the 70s-90s and has lots of old Hogan, Flair and Lawler matches. I'm pretty sure all the Andy Kaufman stuff is in there as well

https://www.youtube.com/user/ChannelExtreme

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

just lol if you have never cut a promo on your significant other in order to make them feel better after a long day at work

well now I have to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What if it's a promo where you turn heel?

Don't work yourself into a shoot

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpq8cUUnudc

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

When Big Show was sent to Louisville for training, I saw him drinking beers at the Toy Tiger. He is quite a person to see in real life and lol at those tiny little bottles of beer he was downing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The movie The Wrestler is really good and you should watch it. Its so real, the guy that sells steroids to Randy was actually busted a year later for selling steroids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYAfg4Irhds

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Lest we not forgot that time when Savage thought he was Eminem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbcOC5dS5k

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Frank Frank posted:

I used to visit my grandparents over the summer in the 80s and my grandpa would always sit in his recliner and watch the WWF on Saturday mornings. It was always like 2 hours of matches between guys you had never heard of culminating in a match between one WWF superstar and some nobody that'd get curb stomped in 30 seconds flat. I never understood the fascination but I remember thinking it was funny as hell that my grandpa thought it was "real".

Go watch I'm From Hollywood https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0173920/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
It's a documentary about Andy Kaufman's "feud" with Jerry Lawler in Memphis. Even if you don't like Kaufman, its incredible to see him get people so riled up over a fantasy.

Supreme Allah posted:

Its one hundred percent true and verifiable that both vince mcmahon and hulk hogan want to have sex with their own daughters ( that's really a fact look at Hogans twitter history and Vince was always trying to do storylines where he married his own daughter)

When Brooke Hogan's album came out, they were on Howard Stern a few times and even they pointed this out, along with the fact that he daughter looks like a younger version of his wife. I think Hogan admitted years later that the stupid TV show they did was just a way to promote Brooke's album that Hulk to financed. His marriage was already in trouble so they squeezed out a season. Linda Hogan started dating her son's best friend shortly after which was strange as they'd known this guy since he was a baby.

Oh and don't forget the Nick Hogan got drunk and nearly killed his friend. Hulk defended his kid's actions by saying if the other guy was more into God, he would have not been harmed.

The Hogans are basically the life force of Florida in human form.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Supreme Allah posted:

Nick Hogan is a weird little poo poo that loves to wreck rare Supras -- the one episode I saw of Hogans show, Nick and Brook were arguing and Brook threatened to wrestle him on a bed and he very creepily went ' ..OKAY! :haw: '

there's nothing good happening in that family

In the sex tape and got Gawker taken offline, Hulk stops Heather Clem (guess who she looks like) from blowing him so he can answer a call from Brook.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FullLeatherJacket posted:

one of the fun things about aging up as a wrestling fan is realising that Hogan was probably the worst person in the business once you take out all of the ones that did actual crimes, and that a lot of the shots taken at him by other wrestlers were absolutely intended

he's remarkably Trump-esque, with a smidge of L. Ron, not just because of the surprisingly believable incest suggestions, but also because of his love of insane, belligerent and easily disprovable lies

POWERFUL HOGANLIES:

- claims he was invited to fight in UFC #1 (he was not, but also lol forever at the mental image of Hogan vs Royce Gracie)

- also claims he wrestled a bunch of PRIDE guys in Japan and had to be ready for them to legitimately fight him at any point (this was the late 1970s, maybe Sakuraba is actually Timecop)

- claims he turned down the lead role in 'The Wrestler' before it was offered to Mickey Rourke (Darren Aronosky says no)

- claimed that he crossed the international date line so many times flying from the US to Japan and back that he wrestled 400 days in a single year

- used to book time off to coincide with any time WCW Nitro fell on a public holiday, so he could come back the following week and claim that the rating had gone down because he wasn't on the show

- claimed that he went drinking with John Belushi after Wrestlemania II and Belushi had to leave because he couldn't keep up (it's probably true that Hogan could outdrink Belushi by the time WMII happened, but mostly due to the fact that Belushi had been dead for four years at that point)

- worked a programme with Billy Kidman in WCW ostensibly designed to promote Kidman as a big star in which Kidman would lose every match and then Hogan would make out and leave with Kidman's girlfriend, who was 25 years younger than him at the time (this did not make Billy Kidman a big star)

- claims that he was asked to play bass for both Metallica and the Rolling Stones (Lars Ulrich also says no)

- somehow increases both Andre's height and weight every time he discusses Wrestlemania 3, whereby he now weighed somewhere in the region of 700lbs and Hogan tore every muscle in his back slamming him

- claimed that Elvis Presley used to be a Hulk Hogan fan and would come to his matches in Memphis (Elvis died two years before Hogan ever showed up in Memphis)

- returned at Wrestlemania IX and won the belt, explicitly with the intention of passing the torch to Bret Hart, then immediately refused to lose to Bret Hart under any circumstances

- bitched to anyone who would listen backstage in 1992 that Undertaker had tombstoned him on his head and damaged his neck, and therefore was a liability in the main event scene (this was a PPV event where you can go back and watch frame-by-frame footage of Hogan's head coming no less than four inches from the canvas at any point)

- ratted out Jesse Ventura to Vince McMahon for trying to sound out forming a wrestlers' union

- claimed on the Ultimate Warrior DVD that Warrior had committed a huge wrestling faux-pas by announcing on live TV before their godforsaken WCW match that Warrior had previously beaten Hogan, since no-one would now pay to see the match; not only is this not particularly against any informal wrestling rule, their previous match was the main event of Wrestlemania VI and one of the most famous matches in history, the entire build for the second match was essentially based around Warrior beating Hogan and unofficially around Hogan wanting to get his win back

- came back in 2005 to work what was originally supposed to be a three-match series with Shawn Michaels, with Hogan winning the first, Michaels the second, and then a rubber match; howevever after the first match Hogan refused point-blank to lose to Michaels, leading to Shawn cutting a promo which sold absolutely no tickets but completely poo poo all over Hogan, before then flopping around comically to all of Hogan's offense and opening the next night with "well, anyway..." and then never acknowledging the match again

- claimed that he was caught on tape making a racist rant about his daughter's boyfriend because he was so used to being super cool around black people that he forgot that he shouldn't say certain words (specifically the words “I mean, I’d rather if she was going to f–k some n—-r, I’d rather have her marry an 8-foot-tall n—-r worth a hundred million dollars! Like a basketball player! I guess we’re all a little racist. F–king n—-r.”, which lots of black people say all of the time)

- also owned a beach restaurant with a dress code that was somehow bizarrely and deeply racist without specifically prohibiting black people (special attention is drawn to the fact that bandanas are prohibited at a beach restaurant; a beach restaurant owned by Hulk Hogan)

- after a year's build of Sting sitting in the rafters watching the NWO, the Hogan vs Sting match at Starrcade '97 is supposed to end with the referee being paid off to do a fast count for Hogan before the match is restarted, except the referee does a normal count and the match is restarted for essentially no reason; it is heavily implied (but unproven) that Hogan paid off the ref irl to do a standard count for no other reason than to make WCW's biggest non-Hogan star look like poo poo in the biggest match in company history

- claimed to have won the Little League World Series, as well as being scouted by both the New York Yankees and Cincinnati Reds (didn't even play baseball in high school)

- claims to have re-written most of his movies but had the writing credit stolen from him because he wasn't in the Guild, was later blackballed from Hollywood due to turning down a gay producer and not due to all of his movies being terrible flops and there being limited acting roles for an orange man with a blonde moustache

- claimed in his autobiography that he wrote a song for a kid he met with cancer, who he got front-row tickets for Summerslam '92 at Wembley Stadium, and when he went out for the main event and the kid wasn't there, he realised he'd passed away (the main event for Summerslam '92 at Wembley Stadium, very famously, was Bret Hart vs British Bulldog; Hogan was not employed by the WWF at the time and was not in the UK for the show in any capacity)

a shameful man, solve crime on he speedboat

Hogan is banned from QEW to racism. Linda Hogan got suspended from Twitter for racial poo poo and it also banned from AEW.

Oh and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgKsJ9uXfpc

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

I..... See :crossarms:

Good god WWE is trash now.

It got campy as gently caress in the mid 90s which lead to the Attitude Era but I don't think they could get that momentum again.

The fact that they have to drag Undertaker out every 2 years to have a match is telling.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Feb 13, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Jericho's wife spotted at the capitol riots and other gems.

https://twitter.com/MeltzerSaidWhat/status/1361146873130672128

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Thanks to whoever brought this up, because I did not know that Jim Cornette has a podcast. I spent part of the weekend listen to him recount stories about the Steiner brothers engaging in reckless driving and gunplay, and about old-timey wrestling riots.

Also I did not expect Jim Cornette to be a super left-leaning atheist. Guess you can't judge a tennis racket by its cover.

Cornette is awesome but I'm biased since we're from the same hometown. I do love that one of his life's goals is to live long enough to piss on Vince Russo's grave.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A talking coyote posted:

mega racist and misogynist

This is like, every 3rd wrestler for the last 50 years. Including the women.

edit: I'm not saying its right, its just the industry so not shocking

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A talking coyote posted:

Where does he fall on a scale from CM Punk to Andre the Giant?

Or Scott Hall?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Prior to Vince taking over the industry during the 1980s with his vision of what a wrestler should look like, most wrestlers looked like an average dude, or a dockworker with a big beer gut, or were like 300 lbs. of mostly flab. The super buff and cut dudes were very much the exception rather than the rule, at least prior to Vince deciding that every wrestler needed to be over 6 feet tall and look like they were a Greek sculpture come to life.

Not just Vince, the whole industry seemed to do that. Being buff, tan which a bleach blonde mullet really brought in the female fans. Hogan fits this profile but he's a poo poo wrestler. He can work the crowd but he only has like, 2 moves.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Feb 16, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I definitely think that the industry was trending that way anyways, in regards to featuring more guys that were in very good shape and didn't have prominent beer bellies; plenty of examples of buff rassle dudes outside of the 1980s WWF abound (the Von Erichs in Texas, the Fantastics, Rick Martel, Lex Luger, Lauren Boebert's cousin/dad in the Fabulous Ones). Vince just amped it up to 11 and made it the industry standard.

They could also sell a ton more merch. A 12 year old girl isn't going to buy a poster of Bam Bam Bigelo when Shawn Michaels exists. Back in the Memphis circuit when Jeff Jarrett was coming up, they had these 90 second commercials for a poster of Jarret that you could buy. He was shirtless, wearing ripped jeans and cowboy boots.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

I remember all the early Raw's kind of sucking, I see that I remembered correctly.

Oh God, they did. I got back into it after the whole Brian Pillman with a gun story line.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Papa Shango went of to be The Godfather, right? The guy who would come into the rings with about 8 local strippers?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Is Vince going to drag Undertaker out for one more match? I swear he won't be happy until he dies (no kayfabe) in the ring.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Undertakers Wife reminds me of Ricky Bobby's (that Will Farrel movie) wife.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rarity posted:

Big Show just signed with AEW :psyduck:

Could Vince buy AEW if he wanted to?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Bonus pic: Kid Rock is in the WWE Hall of Fame :rolleyes: but here's his photo

wtf why? Can you just buy your way in by donating to Linda's senate run?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It was one of the worst jobs of taking the stunner ever.

Big Beef City posted:

I'm gonna get poo poo on for this.
*sigh*

I loving hate Trump. I hate the man and wish I'd never heard of him in my entire life and pray every day he's gone.

He was in his late 50's, 60's? or whatever? when being asked to sell a stunner in a business suit and has never done anything more athletic than swing a golf club, ever in his entire life.
I've thought he's been given a bad shake on that. I'd like to see you, average goon, sell it right now and look any better. Sure it looks like poo poo, but you're expecting an old, out of shape moron to flop and sell a multi-stage wrestling move. At least he tried to sell out. It's like the only thing I'll ever in my loving life give the man any semblance of credit for.

Trump wears a girdle which is why he stands really strange so I assume he can't bend over. He's probably wearing depends too.

Royal Updog posted:

Back in my schoolyard days we were obsessed with giving each other sharpshooters and figure-fours so I'm pretty solid on those

I was over at my friend's house one day watching WWF (probably late 80s) and his little brother is giving us poo poo for watching it when it's obviously fake. My friend put his little brother in a full nelson and the kid starting screaming his head off. We must have laughed for half an hour at that.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Unpopular opinion but I hate HHH and think the only reason he got anywhere is that he slept his way into the inner circle.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

A Fancy Hat posted:

My favorite wrestling celebrity appearance was Stephen Amell. First of all because you could tell he actually enjoyed himself. Second, he looked small and out of shape compared to the wrestlers he interacted with, and he's a dude who basically sold the entire first season of Arrow based on his abs. It made you really respect the shape that wrestlers are in.

He was on that show American Ninja (or whatever) and it was amazing. He could be a super hero in real life based on the way he was performing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Here's a fun one: Name a career that hasn't had a WWE themed wrestler.

Technical support? Web developer? Hotel clerk?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

I loved DX, and I even had a DX shirt, but after I learned about what he did to Chyna, he was on my shitlist forever. He & Stephanie McMahon can go gently caress themselves.

Same here. I had just gotten back into wrestling when the Attitude Era started and was and Shawn Michaels mark anyway (until the screw job) and could just never get into HHH.

There are three things in wrestling I'll never forget seeing.

1. Some of you would have never seen this due to time and region but Lawler was introduced, balls first, into a ring post by (I can't remember now) and had to be hospitalized. IRL he was having a vasectomy reversed.

2. Hell in the Cell. Seeing Foley fall into the announcer's table and taking 20 minutes to get back up, I was sure he'd never walk again. And later in the match when he falls through the top of the cage and the doctor rushes in to check on him, I was sure that was it.

3. Mae Young exposing her "breasts" at Royal Rumble 2000.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 3, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The Rock and Sock Connection really should have last more than just a few weeks. The promos for that were incredible.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

The best DX member was Mr. rear end because 1) the name (lol), and 2) he needed to exist for the greatest promo of all time to be cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCKVoTTQRxQ

I remember WWF selling Rocky Sucks t-shirts for about a month or so. The promos he had while in the Nation of Domination were so amazing and totally turned the crowd's opinions of him around.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I imagine the Sable/Mark Mero story line doesn't hold up well.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I nearly forgot the cliche 90s team of Mosh and Thrasher.

The Headbangers

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

How cringe would it be to watch the Chuck and Billy wedding in tyool 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Most of the old luchadors where buried with their masks on.

I dare say its the closest thing we have to real superhero type personalities and the hole secret identity thing.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rarity posted:

Oh hey WWE what's up how was Smackdown last night

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1368025675093966848

:ohno:

The applause sound reminded me of an old NES baseball game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Hirez posted:

He's gonna do this again

That's quite a submission move. Wonder if she'll tap out.