Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .

Doctor Rope

I loved wrestling in the late '90s/early '00s, and I'm sure it was just coincidental that I was a pubescent girl at the time.

edit:

Chief McHeath posted:

There was a wrassler named Rikishi and his trademark move was to force his opponent to motorboat his huge rear end.

Ah, memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

A Strange Aeon posted:

If I mildly liked Celebrity Deathmatch, does that mean I'm a wrestling fan? Asking for myself.

Now THERE'S something I never understood the appeal of.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bogus Adventure posted:

WWE used to be good

Also, never forget

https://twitter.com/randyjcruz/status/1355617648609021952

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

EorayMel posted:

Jeff Ranks the Faces in WWE 2K20 | GOTY 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP7nLWzZ3Wk

Speaking of faces, was The Rock a face or a heel? Because I hated him, and I never knew whether or not I was supposed to.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bogus Adventure posted:

Sometimes a face, sometimes a heel. You could always tell when he was a face depending on whether he was siding with Mick Foley.

I mean, that's fine and all, he was just never not annoying.

Mick Foley owns though. I think Dude Love was my favorite of his various personalities.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yeeeeeeesssssss

He did an interview with Pro Wrestling Stories about the whole thing. He's a good sport.

What the gently caress? This is not the ECW that I knew and loved and was introduced to metal by. I mean, come on -- the ring isn't even covered in blood!

edit:

Bogus Adventure posted:

Yeah, Vince is a huge piece of poo poo and legitimately insane.

Vince and Stephanie McMahon seem like terrible people.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Do it ironically posted:

wrestling is gay as hell (I love it), like itís two dudes wearing speedo both roided up looking great just grappling each other and looking at the hard cam

Pretty much!

That said, my favorite uncle watched (and still occasionally watches, I think) wrestling, and I think part of the appeal is watching irl trainwrecks -- WCW right before its acquisition, for example.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Faces are boring, heels are where it's at

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

MakaVillian posted:

I still love this as much as I did 22 years ago when I first watched it. Skip to about 7:10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGsBRImD0po

Chris Jericho was one of my first crushes, my first email had "jerichoholic" in it, and when I went to a wrestling event and saw Chris Jericho come out, I cried like one of those girls in those old Beatles videos.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Why am I not surprised that Val Venis is a complete loving weirdo? He's like a low-rent Marty Jannetty.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

'Macho Man' Randy Savage died doing what he loved: slamming into things.

I hate myself for laughing at this.

Coxswain Balls posted:

This fight is still as savage as I remember it being. After looking it up again I just found out that Takayama is now a quadriplegic from a wrestling accident in 2017.

Oh no That reminds me -- I saw Droz in an episode of Dark Side of the Ring, and he's barely recognizable.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Oh... I have some bad news for you...

What, is he gay or something?

*checks out Wikipedia*

Oh...oh no...

https://twitter.com/BrandonThurston/status/1347965105322012675

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Extra Large Marge posted:

Every wrestler needs a gimmick. John Cena's gimmick is that he's a grown man who loves wearing jean shorts.

John Cena and CM Punk are the first wrestlers that I just kind of thought were lame in a boring way.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Extra Large Marge posted:

He seems like a good guy, but "straight edge guy from Chicago" is a very boring gimmick. Incredible how he somehow made it work.

Seriously, I never understood the appeal whatsoever, and yet he's this superstar. More power to him, I guess.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Am I the only one who randomly thinks about Kanyon a lot? (edit: well, I guess "a lot" is a bit of an exaggeration, but like, a non-zero amount of time despite the fact that he died over a decade ago.) I liked him a lot, and I felt so bad for him.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

his (first) book is really good if you can get a hold of it, particularly for a legitimately self-written autobiography by someone who had to retire in 2000 after getting smashed in the head professionally until he couldn't remember things any more

He gave his whole self to wrestling and I appreciate it, but god drat.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Chris Kanyon was great, a top tier wrestler who was one of the first openly gay performers in the modern business

How long was Kanyon actually open about it? I'm not trying to minimize the fact that he came out at all, which was obviously difficult considering he tried to make a work out of it -- I'm just curious.

edit: also RIP Pat Patterson

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 5, 2021

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

verbal enema posted:

Kanyon was cool cuz if you selected his other costumes in WCW vs NWO Revenge you could be MORTIS

I didn't know Kanyon and Mortis were the same person until WELL after he died. I felt like a total moron.

Skarsnik posted:

The thing about 'short' wrestlers from that era is that compared to regular folk they're tall, they were just surrounded by absolute giants at the wwf

Speaking of short wrestlers from that era, Kidman was and is bae.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Not that it's not insanely creepy already, but I always thought that the fact that their daughters look a lot like them adds another layer of cringe. Of course, this layer is like a Post-it note on top of a wedding cake.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Do it ironically posted:

Jericho is so disappointing as a Canadian as heís such a loving chud and gives platforms to really lovely people

His lovely rock band played at a super spreader event that eventually had over 250,000 covid cases and he didnít give a gently caress

Oh god I forgot that I had Fozzy's debut album

Even I wasn't too much of a stan to realize that it was complete garbage though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bogus Adventure posted:

I enjoy that this thread that originally was meant to poo poo on wrestling has turned into a pretty kickin' rad wrestling thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc_gA1RiYxo

There's a wrestling subforum, right? But I like that this thread is mostly about nostalgia. I don't have anything to say about present-day wrestling, but I can reminisce about '90s WCW/WWF/ECW all day.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

A 12 year old girl isn't going to buy a poster of Bam Bam Bigelo when Shawn Michaels exists.

Oh man, thanks for the reminder that I had Kidman on my wall.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gavok posted:

For the record, the actual worst Wrestlemania is probably WM27. The one main-evented by WWE Champion the Miz.

I have despised the Miz since he was on Real World, douching it up and PRETENDING to be the Miz. I have no idea how he became popular, as he has no charm whatsoever.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Admittedly I haven't seen most of what you're talking about (I didn't even know he was married), which is probably why he hasn't crossed over from "hateable" to "fun to hate" for me. His shtick does sound amusing though.

AHH F/UGH posted:

"During Smith's season on The Real World, which aired in 2001, she came into conflict with Mike Mizanin over views he related to Smith from his uncle, who opined that black people were slow and uneducated. Although Mizanin attempted to disown the comments as merely those of his uncle, Smith and their other housemate, Malik Cooper, who are both black, were offended. Coral and the other housemates went on to teach Mizanin about black culture, such as the life of Malcolm X."

I loved Coral, and I thought she was right to hate him. At least she & Malik had patience with him and taught him stuff, but even after he was reformed, he still seemed like a douche.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Just a fun little reminder of the old late '90s WCW days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0NpeWe5sGk

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

Caesar's Palace, outdoor venue, elephants in captivity, huge crowd, Macho Man Randy Savage, what's not to love? (the third one)

I loved Luna Vachon so much. She slapped my hand at an event when I was like 10, and I was so happy

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

that's where you're wrong, marge

i ruined two perfectly good wrestlemania main events

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1363678862627000323

I made it 16 seconds in before I died of douche-chill frostbite.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

mfcrocker posted:

The problem with the Miz in 2021 is that MJF does his gimmick better in every way

I don't know who MJF is, but I believe you.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

StarkRavingMad posted:

[hilarious tweets]

Oh my god I love him already

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Eclipse12 posted:

Real talk. Should I keep posting my Raw Reports here or move them to the sports forum? This thread seems to be... dying.

Note: Stopping altogether is NOT an option.

Can't stop. Won't stop.

Real talk: never, ever, ever, ever, ever stop. I love these. They're from juuuuuust before I started getting into wrestling, so seeing the progression is great.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It was one of the worst jobs of taking the stunner ever.

Stone Cold should have just done it for real

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Bonzo posted:

Unpopular opinion but I hate HHH and think the only reason he got anywhere is that he slept his way into the inner circle.

I loved DX, and I even had a DX shirt, but after I learned about what he did to Chyna, he was on my shitlist forever. He & Stephanie McMahon can go gently caress themselves.

Honestly, every female wrestler was my favorite for obvious reasons (I'm sure there's an exception, but I can't think of any in '90s/'00s WCW, WWF, or ECW), so any time they were wronged in any way, I took it extra personally.

Eclipse12 posted:

I just can't handle the extra-violent/bloody hardcore matches

ECW introduced me to metal, so I'll always have a soft spot for it even though adult-me understands how hosed up it was now. Speaking of which, I feel like I remember Paul Heyman doing some hosed up poo poo, but I don't remember any details whatsoever.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

MakaVillian posted:

Pretty much everyone

I loved him, drat it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rarity posted:

I haven't seen an OP self own this hard since the Simpsons meme thread

I love it Owned from literally the first response

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

actually, i think you'll find that we've set up discount kane pyro as an homage to the great exploding ring deathmatches of the past

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjKYlqQ_a9U#t=6062s

that's THE famous mick foley vs terry funk match, and it's such a wet fart that the OSW guys are confused as to why someone has set pyro off in the middle of the match by accident

I love Terry Funk so much

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Prof. Crocodile posted:

I started listening to jim cornettes YouTube channel because of this thread, and one of my favorite moments is a story about how the talent team had to talk Vince into hiring Gail Kim.

Basically they had to convince him that people found Asian women attractive by showing him sites on the internet.

Every time I think Vince McMahon couldn't be more of a complete loving weirdo, I learn something new like this.

Eclipse12 posted:

[b]Raw Report May 17, 1993

The still shot doesn't do it justice, but on a full screen you get way too much detail of this guy's bulge and grundle.

That's an awful lot of unreaped taint in that picture.

quote:

When looking up his theme song I was also reminded that Michaels was in Playgirl due to his character "[doing well] with female fans of WWE." Should someone tell him?

Oh, the naivete.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1370466154741923845

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I wasn't prepared for the amount of rear end in this video.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Yeah, I mean, logically I understood human anatomy, but wrestling was definitely a source of "omg boy parts " quasi-awakening in my formative years.

Cubone posted:

it was cedric alexander at the GRR

can't find wherever I first saw it but apparently it made the rounds so it might have hit botchamania too

I wonder how that must feel.

edit:

Vince MechMahon posted:

CM Punk poo poo himself live on Smackdown.

Oh dear god what the gently caress

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

oh dope posted:

I'm listening to a pretty intense podcast about Chris Benoit and it is a very stark reminder that Vince McMahon, (and Linda too), is the scum of the loving earth.

I watched the Dark Side of the Ring episode about him and it was very intense.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I just watched the Montreal Screwjob episode of Dark Side of the Ring, and holy poo poo. There's just...so much poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

verbal enema posted:

yall wanna see Rhyno and some other idk dude beating the poo poo out of eachother in Violent J's kitchen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQSrAAmqzk

pizza disc

drat, Rhyno's a thicc jawn. He makes that kitchen look like a forced perspective room or something.