Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Having not seen a Panthers game all year... Yes? Honestly what the hell Florida?!

They’ve played Detroit 6 times already and Nashville twice. That’s almost half their games played against really terrible teams. They’re not terrible, but let’s see them play Tampa, Carolina, and Dallas a bit more before we jump to too many conclusions. I’d still bet they finish in the 4/5 spot. It’s an odd season though, and Dallas may implode a bit more than I had expected so who knows.

Florida was a decent team for stretches last season before the suspension too. So this isn’t really too surprising if you look back at what they’ve been doing either. But, I wouldn’t bet on them wining the cup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

CBJSprague24 posted:

So instead of being part of a resistance supporting a political figure significantly better than Putin (low bar), he's actually just backing garbage but in a different shiny package? Cool. :thumbsup:

*in Adam Curtis voice*

But then a very strange thing happened. A hockey team had an injured goalie. Society was breaking down and the only replacement was a practice goalie. But no one had any idea what would happen next. The Toronto maple leafs forgot how to play the game and this backup goalie was about to change the world...

*Aphex Twin plays in the background*

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not that it's new or anything but boy Keith Olbermann sure sucks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If it helps, that "reporter" is also an all-around terrible person so nobody wins here! Except the Toronto Maple Leafs, who are still the only good and pure hockey team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

So instead of being part of a resistance supporting a political figure significantly better than Putin (low bar), he's actually just backing garbage but in a different shiny package? Cool. :thumbsup:

He's (potentially) supporting a political prisoner that Putin has tried to assassinate multiple times.

Pussy Riot was garbage too, it's more of a principle thing for many Anti-Putin Russians.

But there's no real way to know which ones support his positions or not.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 23, 2021

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Inspired by the "best duo to never win a championship" thread I was thinking about what the most underwhelming/least memorable cup winning team was. The 06 Hurricanes and 95 Devils sprang to mind, but there must be others. I didn't realize the Pens in 91 and 92 were such disappointing teams in the regular season finishing with just 88 and 87 points respectively. That first LA team being super mediocre until they went gangbusters in the playoffs was probably the cruddiest cup winner of the 2010s.

Also apparently the 1938 Blackhawks won the cup with a 14-25-9 record lol.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

Inspired by the "best duo to never win a championship" thread I was thinking about what the most underwhelming/least memorable cup winning team was. The 06 Hurricanes and 95 Devils sprang to mind, but there must be others. I didn't realize the Pens in 91 and 92 were such disappointing teams in the regular season finishing with just 88 and 87 points respectively. That first LA team being super mediocre until they went gangbusters in the playoffs was probably the cruddiest cup winner of the 2010s.

Excuse me? The Canes had 112 points that season and a loaded top 9. Their defense featured stars like Kaberle* and Anton Babchuk.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I didn't say necessarily the worst, just the most underwhelming and that's definitely that Canes team who won in the whacky, all penalties anything goes post lockout year then never did anything again. They made the playoffs just once in the next dozen years, somehow reaching the conference finals.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 23, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

ThinkTank posted:

Until the Kings came along I believe that the 93 Habs were the only team to win the Cup from the lower half of the playoffs.

e: Looking at the bracket again, the 93 Conference Finals were the four teams that were third in their respective divisions. Neat coincidence.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 23, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/bymharrington/status/1364215758339919876?s=21

My team, ladies and gents.

(Mike Harrington is an idiot but that’s besides the point)

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe I'm biased but the 95 Devils? They scored 4 goals a game throughout that playoffs and their decimation of the heavily favored Red Wings was a huge deal. That team had Claude Lemieux who led the playoffs with 13 goals, a sophomore Marty Brodeur, a 19 year-old phenom named Scott Niedermayer, and Scott Stevens in his prime.

This ground has been covered a lot here, but a lot of people who don't remember that season or look at the statistics think that the Devils were a boring trap team that year, but they steamrolled everyone in the playoffs and scored a lot of goals on the way.

The 2003 Devils? Now that I can get behind as a boring team.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/bymharrington/status/1364215758339919876?s=21

My team, ladies and gents.

(Mike Harrington is an idiot but that’s besides the point)

I'm at the point where I will be very annoyed if the Devils lose tonight.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It was a lockout year and they were led in scoring by Stephane Richer. Lemeiux for all his playoff heroics had 6 goals in the the regular season. Nieds wasn't Nieds yet and Brodeur was pretty unremarkable until the playoffs for most of his early career. They were basically transitioning between two cores but won their first cup a few years earlier than expected. They went to 7 in the conference finals against the Rangers the year before, but that was again them playing way above expectations against a vastly superior opponent.

Maybe I'm conflating them too much with the team they turned into, but nothing about them on paper screams fun or enjoyable. 94 Devils sure and yes the 00-03 Devils are like 75% responsible for the lockout.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
The Blues are very injured and are 10-7-2. They've played 3 total games against Vegas, Colorado, and Minnesota and are 2-1 in those.

All this means they are 8-6-2 against San Jose, Los Angeles, Anaheim, and Arizona. It's gonna be a precipitous drop once they start playing good teams!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jhet posted:

They’ve played Detroit 6 times already and Nashville twice. That’s almost half their games played against really terrible teams. They’re not terrible, but let’s see them play Tampa, Carolina, and Dallas a bit more before we jump to too many conclusions. I’d still bet they finish in the 4/5 spot. It’s an odd season though, and Dallas may implode a bit more than I had expected so who knows.

Florida was a decent team for stretches last season before the suspension too. So this isn’t really too surprising if you look back at what they’ve been doing either. But, I wouldn’t bet on them wining the cup.

There's a noticeable gap building between TB/FLA/CAR/CHI/CBJ and DAL/NSH/DET in the Central right now (6 points between Columbus and Dallas), so they may be able to build enough of a cushion over the bottom three that, even if one of them makes a run, they still can't get past them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ThinkTank posted:

I didn't say necessarily the worst, just the most underwhelming and that's definitely that Canes team who won in the whacky, all penalties anything goes post lockout year then never did anything again. They made the playoffs just once in the next dozen years, somehow reaching the conference finals.

It's not the rest of the team's fault that Cam Ward had a whale of a season before immediately stalling his career.

... I'll be on my way now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think Chicago is gonna regress, their recent upswing feels genuine in the sense that coaching has figured out how to best use the available roster and players are learning to mesh with each other, but the team seems really fragile and prone to getting pinned in their own end, playing on panic mode and making futile swipes at the puck to smash it into the neutral zone. Lankinen is basically the entire defense.

So I could see them dropping into that gap.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mikepfeil_/status/1364104996564836356

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
ThinkTank's agitation at the Kings' Cups is one of the joys of my life.

Please tell us more about the cruddy 16-4 Cup winner.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

They beat my team and rightfully so and had a very impressive cup run. But there's no denying they were a so so team that got hot at the right time.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Don't all the fancy stats say the Kings were the legit best team in the league as soon as they traded for Carter midseason

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah that run wasn't the most exciting team but my read on it was more that they underperformed and had poo poo luck leading up to the playoffs then things just fell into place. Clearly lots of guys got hot at the right time but that's any cup winner. I mean, gently caress the kings and all, but they were a real good team.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Don't all the fancy stats say the Kings were the legit best team in the league as soon as they traded for Carter midseason

Yes and a couple of the hardcore stat nerds picked them to beat the Canucks in the first round (and got a bunch of poo poo for it).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/1364244919855022080?s=20

I love Kevin Hayes so much

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft everyone knows Quick singlehandedly won that cup!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

xzzy posted:

Pfft everyone knows Quick singlehandedly won that cup!

Quick got a shutout last night, so it's a perfect moment to repost this evergreen tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LAKings/status/218436839265148931

He actually was pretty good for a little over half of that contract... maybe just cut it down to 6-7 years next time?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

And now the Kings are one of the worst. Everyone wins!

Except Vancouver, which is like a double win for everyone else.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1364259438484467712

Lots of players on waivers today, none of them good as far as I can tell

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1364260073317543937

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1364259438484467712

Lots of players on waivers today, none of them good as far as I can tell

Friedman's solid as a 3rd pair guy. They're trying to get him back to the taxi squad since guys are coming off the COVID list

E: lol elliotte

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Except Vancouver, which is like a double win for everyone else.

Hey, those words would be hurtful to us Canucks fans if we weren't already dead inside. :mad:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/kmtwhelan/status/1364249625314684931

hell yeah

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/hlundqvist35/status/1364257508416716800

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

Yeah

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Holy wow. If I ever have heart surgery I want to be back moving quickly again like this. I’m sure he’s short on stamina, but that’s a pretty fast turn around. One of the times you just can’t help but cheer for the player, regardless of team.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bah gawd!!! They’re playing King’s music!!!!!!

Amazing to see him on the ice. If I had open heart surgery, I’d still be worried about being able to get up and walk to the bathroom by this time in the recovery...

:psyduck:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Misanthrope posted:

Having not seen a Panthers game all year... Yes? Honestly what the hell Florida?!

The Panthers score a billion goals per game with people you've never heard of. Their biggest weakness is Bobrovsky but their backup goalie Chris Driedger is playing himself into the starting role. It's true that they've only played 3 games against the Lightning, and one each against the Hurricanes and Stars, but they're 4-1-0 in those 5 games, so it's not like they've been blown out in those games against good teams.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Florida's been fabulous defensively this year too

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pungry posted:

The Panthers score a billion goals per game with people you've never heard of. Their biggest weakness is Bobrovsky but their backup goalie Chris Driedger is playing himself into the starting role. It's true that they've only played 3 games against the Lightning, and one each against the Hurricanes and Stars, but they're 4-1-0 in those 5 games, so it's not like they've been blown out in those games against good teams.

The Florida 30 goal guy who becomes a 10 goal guy on another team is tradition.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Pungry posted:

They got blown out by the Bolts 6-1 on February 13, and then were fortunate that the Bolts had a bunch of self-inflicted mistakes to win 6-4 on February 15 (which easily could've been a Bolts win). Even the first game felt more like the result was due to the Bolts not really showing up that night, so :shrug:

I don't think the Panthers are at the level of the Bolts/Canes in the Central, but they're in that 2nd tier with the Jackets/Stars for me. They'll cool off at some point, but the hot start means they'll end up making the playoffs over one of the Jackets/Stars (I'd say the Jackets, but it's too early to tell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

My heart...