Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/Sportlogiq/status/1364965148331548676

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

bewbies posted:

Soccer too. It is going to ruin American competitiveness in these sports.

Case in point: a local bond issue just passed here to build 12 new (badly needed) soccer fields in a big complex. Instead of just...leveling a field and putting down grass, they're spending over $40 million on the project. How do they justify that expense? Tournaments! Tournaments will bring in tons of money!

So yeah, if you can't take a 4 day weekend a couple times a month, get hotel/food/etc in another city while your probably-untalented kid plays a sport with other probably-untalented kids, you're out of the game.

I hate it, if you can't tell.

It's also an effective way to exclude undesirables from participating.

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that [white] athletes tend to be Republican, or at least vote that way. They're wealthy [and likely grew up at least upper-middle class] so.... tax cuts, duh. And there's the meathead type who seem to be more culturally conservative.

I always figured the NHL would be left of MLB and NFL because of the Canadians and Europeans.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

VGK's minor league team has a loving town crier i love it

https://twitter.com/HSKnights/status/1364791593090248710

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mr. Kite posted:

It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that [white] athletes tend to be Republican, or at least vote that way. They're wealthy [and likely grew up at least upper-middle class] so.... tax cuts, duh. And there's the meathead type who seem to be more culturally conservative.

I always figured the NHL would be left of MLB and NFL because of the Canadians and Europeans.

I got bad news for you about most Canadians (and most Europeans, I imagine).

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

VGK's minor league team has a loving town crier i love it

https://twitter.com/HSKnights/status/1364791593090248710

hahahaha that is awesome

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Cocaine Bear posted:

Missed it entirely. What was that start time?

Anyway, the Great Anthem Non-scandal Curse has finally been lifted and the Stars can continue on their winning way. Definitely.

Anton Khudobin deserves the Vezina.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://twitter.com/matt_bove/status/1364976873973968897?s=21

I’ve never hated a coach as much as I hate Ralph Krueger right now. What a loving idiot.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

Don’t know about Europe, but Canadian NHLers are mostly middle-class+ white dudes so while Canada in general is left of the US, the NHL population draws mainly from the conservative end of the pool.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I was working in NJ this week, and my hotel was just down the road from the Flyers practice rink. I sent a picture to my 3-year old and he replied: "the Flyers are dogshit garbage"

That story is 97% true.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, my wife and I got married in Tahoe a couple years too early it seems. This would have been amazing:
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30955954/lake-tahoe-wedding-gets-gritty-thanks-nhl

quote:

STATELINE, Nev. -- Brianna and Austyn Rowland smiled for their wedding photographer moments after tying the knot at a Lake Tahoe resort on Sunday. Snow-capped mountains filled the horizon. The sun glistened on the water.

And Gritty, the Philadelphia Flyers' ubiquitous orange mascot, gleefully held the bride's veil.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought the deal with Subban was he's still top 4 quality but he's being played like he's still a #1.

Also paid like one. But I haven't checked his laser maps recently

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, my wife and I got married in Tahoe a couple years too early it seems. This would have been amazing:
https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/30955954/lake-tahoe-wedding-gets-gritty-thanks-nhl

Holy poo poo that's awesome

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That loving rules

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought the deal with Subban was he's still top 4 quality but he's being played like he's still a #1.

Also paid like one. But I haven't checked his laser maps recently

He's more like bottom pair quality, he's been getting eaten alive defensively at even strength this year. And last year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If you're wondering how the PLD/Laine trade is shaking out:

With Columbus:
-Patrik Laine- 10GP 6-4-10
-Jack Roslovic- 13GP 4-8-12

With Winnipeg:
-PLD- 3GP 2-1-3 (last game must've been all three points because I think he'd been held off the board through the first two.)

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1365089341194842118?s=20

Uhohhh

Edit:
https://twitter.com/SabresPR/status/1365091062151335938?s=20
Booooooo

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 26, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If the NHL wants rivalries, ditch the stupid divisional playoff format and keep these divisions. I'm getting Predator and Blackhawk fatigue.

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
TSN's top story right now is a big picture of Jim Benning and it's not about him getting fired and I'm pretty upset gonna log off for a while

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you're wondering how the PLD/Laine trade is shaking out:

With Columbus:
-Patrik Laine- 10GP 6-4-10
-Jack Roslovic- 13GP 4-8-12

With Winnipeg:
-PLD- 3GP 2-1-3 (last game must've been all three points because I think he'd been held off the board through the first two.)

So 1 PPG and .92 PPG, for an average of .96 PPG.

Looks like Winnipeg won to me!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Leg COVID.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

If the NHL wants rivalries, ditch the stupid divisional playoff format and keep these divisions. I'm getting Predator and Blackhawk fatigue.

These divisions are awesome and keeping them and using a super unbalanced schedule so most games are in-division would be awesome.

Just toss Minnesota into the Canada Division next year to make room for Seattle, what the hell.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
if I wake up and Geoff Ward is still an NHL hockey coach then I will immediately go back to bed

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

These divisions are awesome and keeping them and using a super unbalanced schedule so most games are in-division would be awesome.

Just toss Minnesota into the Canada Division next year to make room for Seattle, what the hell.

I’m trying to find a problem with this, but that does seem very reasonable. They’ve had a good record against plenty of the Canadian teams too.

Seattle is closer to the border though. That’s it, my only retort.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ottawa Senators coach destruction tour continues

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Pls move Boston into the Canadian division tia

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I could see Seattle/Vancouver becoming a good rivalry

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Tom Wilson back to his usual antics...

https://twitter.com/NHLSafetyWatch/status/1365099502286352388

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jhet posted:

I’m trying to find a problem with this, but that does seem very reasonable. They’ve had a good record against plenty of the Canadian teams too.

What if we cut a deal that Minnesota agrees to move to the Canada Division and we change their name back to the Minnesota North Stars as God intended?

Dallas can just be the Dallas Hockey Team or whatever who cares.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Makes sure to lift into the jaw too.

He'll get nothing.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

If we’re going by distance, Detroit and Buffalo would both be closer.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tom Wilson rules and it's not his problem no one else has the balls to exploit the league office's spinelessness on player safety to the hilt, gently caress the haters.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

What if we cut a deal that Minnesota agrees to move to the Canada Division and we change their name back to the Minnesota North Stars as God intended?

Dallas can just be the Dallas Hockey Team or whatever who cares.

Dallas Super Spreaders

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

refs are basically mods with skates

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pls move Boston into the Canadian division tia

Boston is 0-3-0 against the Islanders and 11-1-2 against everyone else

Hockey owns

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm now more tired of seeing the Chicago "Patrick Kane, DeBrincat, two goalies, and a bunch of randos" Blackhawks than I ever was in the Central.

It's working, NHL.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

The Sens beat the Flames 6-1, only the second time they won a game by more than a goal this season. A highlight from this win:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXPfx8DAGBc

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Yikes.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Tom Wilson rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Devils REALLY needed that game.