Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Meanwhile the Red Wings rebuild has been ongoing for 5 years and they last won a cup in 2008.
Chicago and LA, teams which have much more recently won cups, have "rebuilt on the fly"

What i'm trying to say is gently caress ken holland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mika looks snake-bitten with some terrible puck luck and I haven’t seen anything that makes me thing he is fatigued more than usual. I would imagine if that was the case the trainers would have caught on and he wouldn’t be playing the top line minutes that he has been all season.

I’m sure we don’t know the full effects of COVID on athletes in the long term but I think that’s just a bit of a convenient narrative with Zibanejad‘s terrible start.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wippersnapper posted:

How is Brian Benning not fired yet? How has NO ONE been held accountable? I tie my emotions to this team and they demand justice!

Who hired Brian?

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Matt Zerella posted:

He's playing well, the pucks just aren't going in. But yes, I think he might be fighting through some rona post symptoms.

E:

some good news :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1365424090224472068

I wonder how many skates Chytil needs before he can come back.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jovial Cow posted:

I wonder how many skates Chytil needs before he can come back.

It's legitimately concerning how long he's been out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

clean ayers act posted:

Meanwhile the Red Wings rebuild has been ongoing for 5 years and they last won a cup in 2008.
Chicago and LA, teams which have much more recently won cups, have "rebuilt on the fly"

What i'm trying to say is gently caress ken holland

It's real suspicious how teams can't drop a word like "rebuild" and suddenly all the problems are forgiven and the team starts to get better.

Almost like you gotta have some quality management too. :thunk:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Man it would really suck to sit through a 5 year rebuild and not have won the cup for 13 whole years.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Matt Zerella posted:

It's legitimately concerning how long he's been out.

It’s been exactly as long as they said it’d be, he probably broke something in his arm/hand

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Levitate posted:

It’s been exactly as long as they said it’d be, he probably broke something in his arm/hand

I saw almost zero news and then he got put on the covid list. But they said during the game that he's skating and could be back soon so that's good.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

I saw almost zero news and then he got put on the covid list. But they said during the game that he's skating and could be back soon so that's good.

Yeah he got covid while out with the broken whatever but it didn’t change his timeline to return apparently which was 4-6 weeks
He practiced full contact with the team yesterday

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know they’re being extra careful with Kakko because of his diabetes, but he’s been on the list for so long that he pretty much definitely got COVID, right? Hope he’s ok

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Apparently it's type 2 diabetes that's a big risk for COVID and type 1 diabetes isn't as big a deal. I assume a fit young athlete with diabetes has type 1.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Apparently it's type 2 diabetes that's a big risk for COVID and type 1 diabetes isn't as big a deal. I assume a fit young athlete with diabetes has type 1.

Likely he probably has type 1, but it could possibly be mature onset of diabetes in the youth (MODY) which is a genetic disorder and mimics type 2. MODY usually shows up around adolescents time and can go unnoticed for the majority of childhood.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Type 1 and covid is still a pretty big loving deal, it's 2 or 3 times more likely to die from it than someone without. I forget where type 2 compares to that but it's probably even higher because type 2 folks tend to have other risk factors (being overweight).

Not to suggest that it's not a big loving deal for all of us.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah the Pens seem in that lovely spot of being a barely playoff team and even if they make it they're very unlikely to go far. I dunno what they will do this off season. If this is what they are now then it might make sense to blow it up.

Ain't nobody blowin' up nuthin' as long as Sidney Crosby is there.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Eric the Mauve posted:

Ain't nobody blowin' up nuthin' as long as Sidney Crosby is there.

I do think that if the season does play out as such with a squeak into the playoffs and first round bounce Malkin/Letang are probably going to be shopped a bit of possible. Along with Zucker and potentially some others.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know they’re being extra careful with Kakko because of his diabetes, but he’s been on the list for so long that he pretty much definitely got COVID, right? Hope he’s ok

I think I read somewhere that he’s had no symptoms and they’re hoping he’s back soon

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I do think that if the season does play out as such with a squeak into the playoffs and first round bounce Malkin/Letang are probably going to be shopped a bit of possible. Along with Zucker and potentially some others.

Rutherford left because he wanted to trade Malkin or Letang. I can't see it happening, the Pens org wants to keep them

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Kaako is a type 1 diabetic. Team doctors cleared him to play, saying it wasn't a significant risk.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dunno about Malkin, but ownership definitely blocked a Letang trade, which in all probability means Crosby blocked it.

More to the point, Fringe Playoff Team is exactly what the Penguins were and had been for 1.5 years when they fired Mike Johnston and made several good trades, and promptly ripped off back-to-back Stanley Cups. There's no doubt Crosby, management, and ownership all believe they can turn it around overnight again. Unfortunately for them Crosby is now 33, not 28, and the guy making the moves will be, uh.... (checks notes) Brian Burke.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Dunno about Malkin, but ownership definitely blocked a Letang trade, which in all probability means Crosby blocked it.

More to the point, Fringe Playoff Team is exactly what the Penguins were and had been for 1.5 years when they fired Mike Johnston and made several good trades, and promptly ripped off back-to-back Stanley Cups. There's no doubt Crosby, management, and ownership all believe they can turn it around overnight again. Unfortunately for them Crosby is now 33, not 28, and the guy making the moves will be, uh.... (checks notes) Brian Burke.

I think the Pens could do something similar again, but like last time it would require a number of moves to all work out perfectly. Of course we are once again looking at the depth scoring not really contributing a ton either which is annoying. It'll be funny if the Pens put the gang back together with Bonino and Cole from Minny though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Last time they had quite possibly the worst coach in NHL history, and benefited tremendously from firing him and hiring a very good coach in his place. Sullivan's time in Pittsburgh is winding down now, but they're not going to get anything like that kind of boost from firing him, and will be at huge risk of hiring a vastly inferior coach in his place (because Burke and Hextall will be choosing the next coach).

Crosby/Malkin/Letang were all superstars five years ago. Crosby is still a star but not a superduperultramegastar anymore, Malkin looks pretty much toasted (:sigh:), and Letang is beginning to get to where he can't outskate his mistakes anymore. Lack of depth is even more a problem when they don't have that staggering level of elite talent.

There's still enough going there that they can coast another 2-3 years as The Most Entertaining Team In Hockey before it all collapses. But man, when it does collapse they are going to turn into the Red Wings fast. (or if you prefer, the early 2000s Penguins)

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 27, 2021

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

sleep with the vicious posted:

Rutherford left because he wanted to trade Malkin or Letang. I can't see it happening, the Pens org wants to keep them

I could see the organization doing a huge reevaluation in the off-season leading to some major changes if the Pens are bounced in the first round again assuming they get that far.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Kicking off a rebuild is a bad idea when your first rounder belongs to Minnesota for Jason Zucker lol

Calen Addison was also part of that trade, and has 5pts in 4 AHL games and looks like this:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
He’s embraced the salad. Played pretty well on his first few games last week. I’d expect he’ll get more time next year after the expansion draft takes one of the top 4 defense.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

The Dirty Burger posted:

Kicking off a rebuild is a bad idea when your first rounder belongs to Minnesota for Jason Zucker lol

Calen Addison was also part of that trade, and has 5pts in 4 AHL games and looks like this:

powerful energy

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1365708788154703872

HAS favorite Jarrod Tinordi, now on HAS' rival, the Boston Bruins.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

eXXon posted:

Man it would really suck to sit through a 5 year rebuild and not have won the cup for 13 whole years.

The Red Wings are in the midst of their second longest cup drought ever. Truly we are suffering

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1365726248627011595

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1365708788154703872

HAS favorite Jarrod Tinordi, now on HAS' rival, the Boston Bruins.

Tinordi is tall and very bad at defense, so I'm surprised that Benning didn't claim him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What kind of moron actually thought the devils weren't going to be horrible this year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Eric the Mauve posted:

Last time they had quite possibly the worst coach in NHL history

:lol: come on. PAS keeps talking like Johnston is in the Hynes/Blashill/early-era "We haven't practiced the PP" Gallant ilk (fun fact: Johnston's career points percentage is 37th all-time in NHL history and it's with one team), but...

Eric the Mauve posted:

...is totally accurate. I was at Nationwide to watch the Pens piss away one playoff game (G4) and almost piss away a second (G6) in 2014, so there were chinks in the armor then. The Pens got in Johnston's first year (I'd agree with you if they hadn't) and got bounced by a buzzsaw Rangers team in 5 one-goal games, then fired him with a Bettman .500+ record in 15-16. If you look at his track record, Disco Dan did less with more outside of his mid-season-hire-leads-to-Stanley-Cup, which also happened the first season with Sullivan (who, depending on your interpretation of last year's playoff tournament, missed the show last year).

Sully's second Cup doesn't happen if MAF doesn't somehow find a way to play out of his mind long enough for Murray to get healthy; you can argue the first-round series against Columbus comes down to "which goalie is less bad" and, if the Pens and Bad MAF got through them, they don't get past the Caps.

Also, if you give one player (Crosby) quasi-GM power, you get UFA signings like his good friend the JMFJ experience. (The same thing happened in 2011-12 with Columbus and Rick Nash/Aaron Johnson.)

e- And, if you're going to get the band back together, you have to add MAF to the shopping list with Bonino and Cole.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 27, 2021

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Unrelated to the above, all four goalies dressed for Jackets/Preds (Korpisalo, Vehvilainen, Saros, Rinne) are from :finland:. :eng101:

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Canucks and Ducks might be swapping Virtanen and Heinen... Please lord

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Danton Heinen sucks. He's Ryan Spooner v 2.0. If he's the only return don't make that deal Jesus.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

virtanen also sucks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heehee posted:

virtanen also sucks

At least he's been a semi competent play driving forward for much of his career. Heinen is a similar offensive black hole but also a serious defence liability.

Moving a largely ineffective bottom six winger for a even less effective bottom line centre is a brutal decision. Virtanen drives me crazy but he's definitely not at the "dump for whatever we can get" level yet. If there's no upgrade on defence or depth in another area, don't trade him. He's fine and the team is not worse off with him in the lineup.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 28, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

xzzy posted:

Type 1 and covid is still a pretty big loving deal, it's 2 or 3 times more likely to die from it than someone without. I forget where type 2 compares to that but it's probably even higher because type 2 folks tend to have other risk factors (being overweight).

The numbers for type 2 look quite high yeah but of course those are going to be skewed, especially with the US population being the majority of deaths in the world. The cost of diabetes equipment, insulin, medication etc. means there's a lot of uncontrolled diabetics in the states.

With type 1 and rich athletes, the primary increased risk is just how generally being sick makes blood sugar management more difficult and things can get out of control.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 28, 2021

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

At least he's been a semi competent play driving forward for much of his career. Heinen is a similar offensive black hole but also a serious defence liability.

Moving a largely ineffective bottom six winger for a even less effective bottom line centre is a brutal decision. Virtanen drives me crazy but he's definitely not at the "dump for whatever we can get" level yet. If there's no upgrade on defence or depth in another area, don't trade him. He's fine and the team is not worse off with him in the lineup.

Virtanen's contract goes through next season, Heinen's doesn't. worth it for that alone imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

heehee posted:

Virtanen's contract goes through next season, Heinen's doesn't. worth it for that alone imo

Eugene Melnyk account spotted