Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

So does that get Benning/Green fired???

There straight blowouts against the Leafs on national TV didn't get Benning fired. Loui Eriksson receiving a shade under a million bucks a goal in a Canucks uniform hasn't got him fired. 7 years and two playoff appearances later they're still "rebuilding on the fly" hasn't got him fired.

I'm pretty sure nothing will at this point, and frankly us Canucks fans deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Canucks look like they just gave up last night!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jhet posted:

For goalie interference? That’s terrible. He had plenty of time to get set again and just stopped moving instead. That’s weak sauce.

Play should have been stopped for a penalty on Gallagher so it all works out. Habs even avoid being down a man.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jhet posted:

For goalie interference? That’s terrible. He had plenty of time to get set again and just stopped moving instead. That’s weak sauce.

When Murray tries to go back across to make the save, his stick gets hung up on Gallagher who is still in the crease and it stops his momentum pushing over to make the save. Its incidental contact but its goalie interference.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Canucks look like they just gave up last night!

They gave up like two games into the season. Everything since has been the half hearted writhing of a beached whale resigned to its fate beneath the baking sun on some far flung solemn shoreline.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

I honestly don't believe they deserved a win last night, but its funny when this is not goalie interference:

https://twitter.com/MOBeaudoin1/status/1364416164579995649

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1364584051529703427?s=20

I’d love to hear Babcock trying to speak French

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Aren't the Habs good and the problem is Price is cooked???

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

:toot:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

What the hell, really?

Also :lol: the Habs fire the coaching staff after one bad stretch and Vancouver is staring down the barrel of year 8 of the Benning caper.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

Aren't the Habs good and the problem is Price is cooked???

Their 5v5 numbers remain pretty solid, but its been years of comically inept special teams. While the team might not have a lot of the type of offensive players that do well on the man advantage, a lot of that could likely be down to player selection (Weber should not be PP1) and other coaching decisions.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Soooooooo if they didn't call the goalie interference with 2 seconds left does he still have a job today?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1364584944752881666

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

fancy stats posted:

Their 5v5 numbers remain pretty solid, but its been years of comically inept special teams. While the team might not have a lot of the type of offensive players that do well on the man advantage, a lot of that could likely be down to player selection (Weber should not be PP1) and other coaching decisions.

How are their special teams this bad lmao

Did Bergevin ever try to force some special teams guru on Julien?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Is that real news, because I don't see it anywhere else.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

How are their special teams this bad lmao

Did Bergevin ever try to force some special teams guru on Julien?

That was Kirk Muller's job :shrug:

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

shyduck posted:

Soooooooo if they didn't call the goalie interference with 2 seconds left does he still have a job today?

https://twitter.com/Capital_Gains65/status/1360717170792161285

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also I continue to believe that Claude Julien is a good coach and there aren't any great replacements out there as I'm pretty sure Gallant doesn't speak French. This feels like an insane decision by Bergevin, but whenever I think that he seems to end up being right so who knows I guess. He's certainly not plagued by indecision and that's an admirable quality for an NHL GM.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

It's on NHL.com now, so weird.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

It's on NHL.com now, so weird.

I mean the Habs tweeting it out seemed pretty legitimate to me.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Why exactly should this change with a new coach? Who is their most offensively talented player? Like Tomas Tatar? Jonathan Drouin?

I'm honestly amazed they're even good at 5v5 because I don't get what the hell is good about that roster looking at it.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

ThinkTank posted:

Also I continue to believe that Claude Julien is a good coach and there aren't any great replacements out there as I'm pretty sure Gallant doesn't speak French. This feels like an insane decision by Bergevin, but whenever I think that he seems to end up being right so who knows I guess. He's certainly not plagued by indecision and that's an admirable quality for an NHL GM.

I mean, his team's record appears to be a result of his decision to keep starting Price when it's clear that Price isn't giving them the best shot to win games. At the same time, I'm not sure there are many coaches in the league who would be willing to force Price to be the backup.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Why exactly should this change with a new coach? Who is their most offensively talented player? Like Tomas Tatar? Jonathan Drouin?

I'm honestly amazed they're even good at 5v5 because I don't get what the hell is good about that roster looking at it.

The Habs are deep on the wing but they haven't had a legitimate top line centre in about two decades now.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

fancy stats posted:

Spreadsheet says that Montreal leads or is top 3 in nearly every offensive category. Corsi, shots, chance splits of both kinds, goals (both actual and expected), and on and on. Their special teams are 18.2% vs 21.2% league average and 76.5% vs 78.5% on the PK. Price seems to be the big issue in performance.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Julien is a good coach, it's hard for me to imagine someone else getting a better performance out of that team

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fawning deference posted:

Is that real news, because I don't see it anywhere else.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Spreadsheet says that Montreal leads or is top 3 in nearly every offensive category. Corsi, shots, chance splits of both kinds, goals (both actual and expected), and on and on. Their special teams are 18.2% vs 21.2% league average and 76.5% vs 78.5% on the PK. Price seems to be the big issue in performance.

Trust me, I enjoy nothing more than looking at all the 4-quadrant charts with Montreal in the top right corner.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but my totally reliable anecdotal evidence would suggest that the bottom has fallen out on their special teams after a decent start.

Price is 100% a big problem right now, but he's not the only problem.

e: https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1364590286773645313

fancy stats fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 24, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1364587923325206531?s=20

Lol Charlie

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/JFreshHockey/status/1364590286773645313?s=20

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Wow

Wrong guy.

Fire Bergevin.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/daleweise22/status/1364587414128267270?s=19

This could be more personal but idk

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NYR has a great PK and is pretty bad 5 on 5 so what I’m saying is fire Quinn and get Julien

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Asterisk because they get to play the other Canadian teams exclusively, but yeah they're solid on offense even before this season.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

yeah i wouldn't put much weight into the opinions of a perpetual 4th liner who was mad he was stuck in the press box during his time under julien

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Remember that Claude Julien was fired from the division-leading Devils with like a week left in the season because he had lost the locker room so radically they were shooting pucks at him during practice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Julien probably lost an upstairs power struggle with Bergevin.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Of course he did, have you seen the size of Bergevin's arms!??

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Claude Julien is exactly the sort of coach the Canucks need right now. I have no further comment at this time and will not be taking questions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Claude Julien is exactly the sort of coach the Canucks need right now. I have no further comment at this time and will not be taking questions.

He meets all of Vancouver's usual hiring requirements too.

You snagged a perfect coach. Claude used to work for Boston... he's probably got other characteristics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

ThinkTank posted:

Super duper agree, actually.