Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1356364563122368516

Please don't let anybody trade for this fucker

The Arizona Coyotes are proud to announce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

Spotted in another thread..,
Dude has better edge work than 95% of the NHL.

God drat.

That is pretty impressive.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Because going to the Leafs was such an improvement

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 7, 2021

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I think the Pens think that this is how to better on the powerplay also

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

bure coming back after that knee injury and absolutely torching the league for like 10 games is one of my favorite hockey things

also those next couple years in florida was one of the best one man band performances ever in the NHL

In 2000-01 he averaged 26:52 per game in ice time on the Panthers. Absolutely absurd beer league poo poo. That's one of my favorite Bure stats.

Crosby's highest average toi in his career was 21:57. Ovechkin's was 23:06. And that's young Crosby/Ovechkin.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/buffalovogl/status/1358878287200718855?s=21

The linesmen from the Sabres-Devils game entered COVID protocol, as did Rasmus Dahlin.

Seems to be a strong case growing for on-ice transmission, huh?

How couldn't on ice transmission be a thing? A bunch of athletes skating at high speeds breathing hard and the refs often being right next to them.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

If you like absolutely loaded prospect pipelines that never move up to the NHL team, then Ron is 100% your guy.

Hextall's patient approach might be a breath of fresh air after the past few years of JR flailing around with reactionary moves. JR was terrific for the two Cup wins but man did he ever make some awful moves since then.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You'll recall Rutherford's departure happened because he worked out a deal to trade Letang and ownership refused to allow it. Letang and Malkin aren't going anywhere and in fact will probably be re-signed.

e: I would love to be wrong but I think there are a lot of warning signs that Letang and Malkin are both just... finished. So many injuries have piled up over the years on those guys. I'm more hopeful about Malkin eventually bouncing back but Letang's entire game has always revolved around speed and pure panache. Now he can't outskate his aggressive mistakes anymore, but he can't just change what kind of player he fundamentally is. One of the most fascinating players I ever watched, but he's done. Refusing to unload him when they had a chance was a gigantic megablunder by ownership IMO.

What do you think they would get for a 33 year old injury prone Letang? Considering they're still trying to win cups it's probably the better move to keep Letang and Malkin. Not gonna be many trades out there which would result in a better win-now team.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I thought it was with the Habs
in which case I am almost certain it would have been Weber for Letang

Petry for Letang I could maybe have lived with

Neither of those make a lick of sense to me. If you're moving Letang it's to get younger and recuperate assets for the farm system so something like young playable d with upside + first round pick or something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

I remember thinking early in the MLB season that there was no way they'd finish it... I think NHL players (plural) would have to drop dead on the ice for them to entertain cancelling the season.

Doesn't it become a logistical issue after a certain point? How the hell they gonna make up all these games they're cancelling and still finish on time?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Lol this owns.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hell yeah. Old boys club rules

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Hextall as GM and Burke as Pres of Hockey ops is like the type of moves I'd make in Eastside Hockey Manager to troll myself.

I kinda love that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TSNHockey/status/1359275998215360513?s=20

Still in awe that that hair is now the president of my hockey team. Some top salad right there

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's honestly super offensive that these rich rear end owners who can absorb all covid-related losses and still have more money than any of us will ever see in our lifetimes still insist on allowing partial seating in their arenas just so they can squeeze out a few extra bucks and they're willing to risk it even though the danger is real for the fans that go.

gently caress rich people basically

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Misanthrope posted:

Sure, kill all billionaires but I just can't imagine needing to see live sports badly enough to risk it.

yeah people that actually go are being pretty dumb too of course.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's gotta be really easy though to just throw your hands up as an ownership group/gm and say that it's a shortened season with unique circumstances and not make any sweeping changes as a result. I could see GMs/coaches surviving who would normally get sacked just because of the circumstances of the season with no fans and unique divisions etc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

The Capitals mainly outskilled teams when they won their Cup and got some timely saves. They had one game where they hit the Lightning a bunch and when Wilson broke that dude's jaw but that was about it.

I hope Burke is the real decision maker in Pittsburgh and not Hextall.

I sincerely doubt that Hextall would have taken the job if Burke was the one driving all the decisions. Hextall has a pretty good resume with how he built up the Flyers and he could have just waited for a GM job where he could call the shots.

That said I'm sure Burke's presence there will bring at least a few big dumb players to the Pens. I don't really give a poo poo if they go for more size as long as said size also has actual skill.

You might enjoy this though:

https://twitter.com/FanMorningShow/status/1360231977174065164?s=20

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I dunno, maybe we're saying the same thing in different ways. Their decline from 2016 to now was not that they got smaller, though, it's that they got slower.
They didn't have to bump and jostle because that team wasn't built that way, they were meant to to skate behind the big guys, not through them

I don't even know if it's all that either. I think a lot of other teams got better and the Pens stagnated a bit. There's also been a huge push to emulate how the Pens played. Teams are going more focused on speed and skill. The speed advantage the Pens used to have is not as much evident against most teams now. Everyone can skate.

And also no Pens fan wants to hear this but Crosby/Malkin are getting older and worse. They're less able to carry the team on their backs now than they were back then and it's only going to get worse year by year. They're still great players but they need more support now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Jagr owns

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Didn't realize Lafreniere was struggling that badly offensively. Weird to see two first overall picks in a row take a dump out of the gates like that. Hughes has been wayyyy better this year though and actually looks quite legit now. I guess Kaakko still hasn't quite his stride either though.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

Jumbo had extremely limited ice time in his rookie season. Something like 8 minutes a night to teach him to "earn it" or something. The moment he was given a bit of leeway he was an effective scorer. Lafreniere and Hughes being duds despite having a decent amount of ice time is largely unprecedented.

You can excuse looking good and not getting results for a few games but the guy has 1 goal in 14 games after 41 in 57 last year. Regardless of his underlying numbers, that's not good enough. He (and the rest of the Rangers) need to start scoring sometime soon. There's too many talented guys on that team to be as ice cold as they are.

Hughes does look good this year at least. Based on the games I've seen it'd be hard to imagine him not scoring at like at least a 60 point or so pace over 82.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

They have several talented forwards who are underperforming: Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner, Hall, maybe Staal although he has been ok. Only guy who has been consistently good is Olofsson and mostly only on the PP. I thought maybe their top 6 guys would be able to keep the puck in the offensive zone enough that it would offset the defense and goaltending but instead they aren’t doing much of anything.

McCabe and Ristolainen are performing surprisingly well but Dahlin is underperforming, Jokiharju is hit or miss and Montour & Miller are not very good. They played a guy from their Taxi Squad, William Borgen, who hadn’t played a game since March and he was outperforming most of the other defensemen lol

The goalie situation is also dire.

Reinhart and Skinner kinda suck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

If only McDavid had a Malkin.

Oh, wait. What is that?

Draisaitl is pretty damned good.

It's miraculous that the Oilers can't build around those two players.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is it? Is it?

Yes? The Caps and Pens pretty much instantly built around Crosby/Ovechkin and in the Caps' case they didn't even have a Malkin to fall back on (though prime Backstrom was very very good).

Not building a good team around McDavid is some 80's Mario Lemieux poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

I took a look at Brandon Sutter's junior career, and it confused me as to why he was drafted so high. Then I read an NHL.com draft profile.

He doesn't even have the Sutter's normal penchant for grit and toughness. He's perhaps the softest player I've ever seen. Loses like every board battle ever and a light breeze can push him off the puck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

He is pretty insanely good. It's a crime that he hasn't come close to winning a cup yet.

e: also lol that Gretzky stat. 234 games for 500 points :psyduck:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Personally I hope if the Pens miss the playoffs that they do not pick in the top 5 because hoo boy would it suck to hand Minnesota a top 5 pick.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00np-XZC_zY

I love my big dumb captain

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Why exactly should this change with a new coach? Who is their most offensively talented player? Like Tomas Tatar? Jonathan Drouin?

I'm honestly amazed they're even good at 5v5 because I don't get what the hell is good about that roster looking at it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought the deal with Subban was he's still top 4 quality but he's being played like he's still a #1.

Also paid like one. But I haven't checked his laser maps recently

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Mike Matheson is extremely bad at playing defense. In other news the Penguins are extremely mediocre so looking forward to them finishing 4thish in the div and then getting annihilated in the first round again.

Yeah the Pens seem in that lovely spot of being a barely playoff team and even if they make it they're very unlikely to go far. I dunno what they will do this off season. If this is what they are now then it might make sense to blow it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Not sure what the best path is. Malkin was really good just last year. He's getting old, so maybe this year is the beginning of the end. Or maybe he's just having an off year in unique circumstances. Sullivan is a good coach but he has also been here for a while and maybe it's time for a new system/new voice. I'd probably start there before ripping apart the foundation of the team.