Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Picking Team Canada is pretty easy. I feel like the only rule to picking Team Canada is to not pick Rob Zamuner.

Yeah, I think you can screw up a lot easier than you can actually help. Like Team “sort by points” is probably still one of the favourites and would probably be 90% of the forwards and 75% of the defence that would wind up getting picked anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Leafs win :siren:

Vancouver really didn’t want to get run over again and it was obvious but... yeah

After the previous 2 games, the Leafs figured they didn’t actually need to waste energy for the full 60 minutes and decided to figure out exactly how many minutes they actually need to show up in order to win against the Canucks.

The answer is about 5.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

Burkie is 65 now, you really think athletic, powerful, handsome, masculine Steve Yzerman is gonna be afraid of fist fighting him in a barn?

What’s the seeding for an exec fight club tournament?

Hextall, Shanahan and Gallant when he gets a new job would be he top seeds. Maybe Geurin too. Stevie and Francis would be at the bottom of the players tier but above all the career execs.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Do people with "team ambassador" or development coach as a title count as executives? Columbus submits Jody Shelley, Jared Boll, and Jarkko Ruutu for entry.

I was just thinking high level decision makers like GM and Pres. I assume every team has like a half dozen guys in various PR, scouting and coaching jobs that could kick rear end.

But I guess I said Gallant too HCs also count. Where would Torts fit? Do you think he’s all talk or could he back it up?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

How many games has he missed? Seems like that stat could be misleading

it is intentionally hilariously misleading. April 6, 2019 was the final game of the season. Panarin played 69/70 games last season and this was the first game he’s missed this year.

Edit: they also scored 2 PP goals in the game he missed last year.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 13, 2021

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kilza posted:

Legitimate question I don't want to try searching up myself: Has any team fired a GM and then hired them back as GM years later?

The Leafs have technically done it twice. Punch Imlach, who built the last Cup winning teams was fired and came back a decade later.

Then there was Cliff Flechter who came back for a disastrous 6 month stopgap term between JFJ and Burkie.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

eXXon posted:

I'm not sure that a forward too lovely to crack Ottawa's roster is going to have a place on the Leafs. The only other possible justification is clearing up a contract spot.

He’s fine as like the 16th-18th forward on the depth chart and someone that can hang out on the taxi squad as.a break in case of emergency option. Like Scott Sabourin was taking a spot with the Thornton/Simmons injuries and Robertson and Brooks getting sent down so they can get ice time.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

Brian Burke and Dave Nonis don’t run the team anymore, if you want to catch Dubas’ eye you need to dangle guys smaller than 6’2” that were good five years ago and suck now

By this point, so much has been said about Willy that trading him would be admitting defeat for Dubas that he can’t do it unless someone gives him something stupid.

Also, Nylander is the only one of the big boys on anything resembling a discount deal (Not counting Rielly as he doesn’t have much time left) so trading him would be counterproductive unless again, someone offered something stupid.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I think broadly speaking we can say that the two eras are largely identical but you can drill down on specifics to find discrepancies. I'm not at all sure why scoring is going up though, there haven't been any obvious changes to equipment or the rules and powerplay opportunities have been mostly static for a decade now. It's nice to see though because things were looking pretty grim for a while there c. 2013.

Just going off memory of watching the games, while the total goals in the early post-lockout period and now are similar, the way we got there is different.

The early Sid/Ovid era was still basically boring-rear end trap hockey with big dudes who couldn’t skate but they just called a crap load of penalties to artificially bump goals up. Then they got lazy with the penalties again and scoring died out again until the revelation that skating is important was discovered in the last few years.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

It shouldn't be that much of a surprise that [white] athletes tend to be Republican, or at least vote that way. They're wealthy [and likely grew up at least upper-middle class] so.... tax cuts, duh. And there's the meathead type who seem to be more culturally conservative.

I always figured the NHL would be left of MLB and NFL because of the Canadians and Europeans.

Don’t know about Europe, but Canadian NHLers are mostly middle-class+ white dudes so while Canada in general is left of the US, the NHL population draws mainly from the conservative end of the pool.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Jhet posted:

I’m trying to find a problem with this, but that does seem very reasonable. They’ve had a good record against plenty of the Canadian teams too.

Seattle is closer to the border though. That’s it, my only retort.

If we’re going by distance, Detroit and Buffalo would both be closer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Koopa Kid posted:

I’m feeling positive about the Leafs too but let’s remember they were playing Edmonton

They’re only playing Edmonton/Winnipeg/Montreal should be enough to carry them to the final four.

Stretch Marx posted:

And that they're the Leafs.

But this.