Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Otis Reddit posted:

OK RAS -- does anybody else feel that all of this going down on Quinn's watch speaks to his being 'in over his head'?

Ridiculous every-other-game arbitrary goalie carousel, Georgiev doesn't play Saturday night, and the whole blowup with TDA doesn't happen (not that I'm not on some level happy he's gone).

There's obviously been something 'off' in the Rangers' locker room for some time, and IMO, not a good look that it came to blows in such a public and embarrassing way.

It’s not a good look for NYR that this happened on their watch. I believe there are Tony D-Lites throughout the league and we can’t dogpile NYR for having one, but that doesn’t forgive them for signing one of the most vocal MAGA chud assholes in the world.

But Quinn didn’t sign the guy and there is no evidence that this is on him. In fact this whole scenario is mostly wild conjecture right now. I don’t love the guy but what is he supposed to do? He already healthy scratched him early in the season. This is on people above Quinn’s pay grade and again, even tho I think this is a problem in many locker rooms, NYR needs to be proactive in righting this wrong and doing everything they can to prove that this poo poo shouldn’t be ok on any level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1356371490879512576?s=20

I’d like the full story one day but seems like a lot of the scenarios being thrown around were bullshit.

Really doesn’t matter- anyone with a brain knows Tony D was a loving moron but clearly NYR management thought he would keep it under wrap. I’m glad they are 100% done with him but some damage control is in order.

They can start by 1. Stop dancing around the way his dangerous and vocal nonsense contributed to this and 2. Please get someone capable on that 3rd pairing cuz it’s loving dire

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 2, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

Quinn has usually been a coach to play all three pairs, but this is the best option at this point. Unfortunately, it's also going to be rough in a condensed season.

I'm curious to see how Tony B plays, though.

Yeah I just don’t think this team is good or deep enough to play that way- even tho the top 4 with Miller and Fox has made me much more optimistic, the bottom six of this offense is currently an average AHL team and putting it all on two d pairings to carry the load would prolly kill someone

Also just looking at his stat line Bitetto looks like a total pylon but this could be the classic over-performance game to make up for all the behind the scenes scuttlebutt so prolly gonna get a hatty tonight.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

The Athletic broke the big story, then Blueshirt Banter compiled the rumors on Twitter and claimed they had sources. It's a sensational story that everyone wants to believe is even more outrageous than it is. I used to read BSB, and I knew it wasn't very good, but since I subscribed to The Athletic I haven't looked back. It's night and day, connected professionals compared to tabloid bloggers who report baseless stuff from Twitter.

Yeah I agree with this for the most part. I’m not at all saying that an issue between racist piece of poo poo DeAngelo and Miller is out of the realm of possibility. But Blueshirt Banter presented a very specific scenario that has been directly refuted. In the end, we don’t have clear evidence to prove or disprove that scenario- but we should probably stop assuming it happened. Especially just because NYR isn’t directly referencing DeAngelo’s lovely racism. This is the NHL and they gave prolly the strongest condemnation you can expect from an NHL team by poo poo-canning a valuable player and making it clear he will never return. Should we expect more and do I want more honesty and transparency? Of course! But this isn’t an NYR problem it’s a league problem.

I am not a fan of that blog, but unfortunately the people who are the most vocal critics of it on Twitter are also usually MAGA chuds and I don’t want to be lumped in with them on anything. I also think bloggers can absolutely have as much valued as established reporters, who sometimes will totally tow the line for an organization. But that doesn’t mean that is the case here.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

whatis posted:

This poo poo with buffalo and NJ has the potential to get really ugly. Wouldn't be at all surprised if NYS goes after the NHL for answers. Could have repurcussions on all 3 NY teams

This seems way more messy than the COVID outbreaks so far. Curious to see where this goes but prolly nowhere good....

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Pat Brisson screenshot gives away the bit here. Granted, I’m sure his agent has told him to get the gently caress off Twitter before...but probably more diplomatically.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah but he is 6’5” 220 so

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1357116601137565697

Rough math says that's 10% of the league has been infected (approx. 30 players x 31 teams divide by 90), so, not good!

COVID protocol doesn’t mean infected. That being said- still not great.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I refuse to believe the NHL and it’s GMs are “above” taking on DeAngelo. At most they might wait things out- possibly even till he gets bought out but I think he will be back on a NHL team.

It’s not great PR but they will just blah blah redemption project blah blah we need someone on the PP. Hope I’m wrong!

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 4, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

loving amazing- extra icing on the cake every time the Rangers win a game without Tony D.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It’s almost incredible how much Arizona has been mismanaged. Even just these last few years have been full of ever-increasingly horrific disasters.

Also gotta love there subtle PR approach of “gently caress you, you think that story is bad? just wait and see how we can make things worse”

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zodijackylite posted:

That makes sense. Quinn seems to be really good at building and maintaining relationships with players, he's great at the sports psychology of this generation of players. His systems and structure are basically nonexistent, though. It seems like his teams basically rely on players having chemistry and not requiring coaching. Fox and Lindgren just work together, there was a complementary match between Staal and DeAngelo, and Miller/Trouba seemed to fit together well. Every other pair they've played in the last few years - a lot of them - has been a complete mess. Same goes for forwards, where Kreider/Zibanejad/Buchnevich and Panarin/Strome/Fast meshed well last year, but every other set of forwards has been totally lost.

I don’t care so much about line combos, NYR has a strange roster, but you are right that he doesn’t have any clear system or structure. Its obvious when he plays teams with really solid systems that they are consistent with. I know coaching is voodoo but he seems to get out-coached a lot.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

I think he just doesn’t want to move anymore. Don’t underestimate the appeal of that.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

How much more clearly can it be a hit-job when the consistently discredited source, who is not the women in question, literally says “I AM DOING THIS BECAUSE PANARIN CRITICIZED PUTIN”?

Saying that this is the same as “Russia-gate” is absolutely idiotic.

Call Your Grandma posted:

It's also extremely easy to draw a distinction between the well-corroborated fact that the Kremlin aggressively punishes dissent, and the significantly less-corroborated idea that they were single-handedly responsible for tanking Hillary Clinton's inevitable and well-deserved presidency bid.

Thank you, I can’t imagine how anyone can’t recognize the difference. Isn’t exonerating Russia just as bad as blaming them for everything?

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 22, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/aiviskalnins/status/1363909164834127872?s=20

Yep questioning this story is clearly just another Russia-gate conspiracy to protect Panarin and blame Putin for everything :jerkbag:

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

You seem to be extremely upset about one comment that was made about russiagate (probably mine). There's nothing wrong with being skeptical of the story on either side because we very well may never get the full story here.

Current Russian society has an ingrained hyper macho attitude inside of it that has homophobia as well as sexism baked in.

I’m sorry but it was a pretty dumb comment in response to this current story. Also, what the gently caress?

Saying this “maybe” is politically motivated is not being “skeptical” it’s being willfully ignorant.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 22, 2021

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

It's really not if you paid any attention to the Pussy Riot protests.

This was your comment...

Matt Zerella posted:

People are way too quick to dismiss poo poo coming out of Russia because of BIG BAD PUTIN RUSSIAGATE REEEEEE..

It’s still dumb.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

I don't think its dumb at all to say everyones been disturbingly quick to dismiss this as purely political RUSSIA OMG PUTIN when its a country that's reclassified fist offenders of domestic abuse to a misdemeanor.

I can see there are political and social timings to this (RE: the olympics). But it's not completely out of the question that a young Panarin, growing up where he did, beat the poo poo out of a woman and got it covered up.

I legitimately hope I am very wrong (which I usually am!) and that this is purely political. I also think it's very gross to dismiss it outright because of the source and current political climate in Russia.

Nobody is dismissing it outright. They are dismissing it because of the incredibly questionable timing and source who literally said it was politically motivated. He actually said that. He is also a well-known liar and perhaps, complete psychopath. That is not outright dismissal, that is just very basic logic. It has nothing to do with the psychological geo-political makeup of Russia or whatever you are trying to get at.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/CanadiensMTL/status/1364584051529703427?s=20

I’d love to hear Babcock trying to speak French

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

NYR has a great PK and is pretty bad 5 on 5 so what I’m saying is fire Quinn and get Julien

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Not surprising but

https://twitter.com/aiviskalnins/status/1364642996864573441?s=20
https://twitter.com/aiviskalnins/status/1364644433623478272?s=20

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

They had Bittetto on their power play. They either are being dumb, or are really low on good players.

With Fox on PP1 and no Trouba or Miller...it’s unfortunately not even the worst option...

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1365089341194842118?s=20

Uhohhh

Edit:
https://twitter.com/SabresPR/status/1365091062151335938?s=20
Booooooo

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mika looks snake-bitten with some terrible puck luck and I haven’t seen anything that makes me thing he is fatigued more than usual. I would imagine if that was the case the trainers would have caught on and he wouldn’t be playing the top line minutes that he has been all season.

I’m sure we don’t know the full effects of COVID on athletes in the long term but I think that’s just a bit of a convenient narrative with Zibanejad‘s terrible start.