Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm starting to think the Dept of Player Safety is only getting one station this week. There wasn't a penalty called on this on the ice even? But head shots are totally fine this season.

https://twitter.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1356289899071209472?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fancy stats posted:

umm, you'll find the rule is need to hit more than 50% of the head, so if you're not at least getting yourself a chunk of scalp, no dice, buddy

That explains it. It is really hard to hit a person's head from both sides at the same time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I’m surprised a guy with that kind of money doesn’t have an absurdly cool home gym.

Not everyone likes to take their work home with them. And even then you’d need a lot of space and equipment to build out like some of these insane hockey gyms.

Also, that picture of Jumbo Joe looks like a dude you could get a contact high from hanging around. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him with so little emotion on his face.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

whatis posted:

This poo poo with buffalo and NJ has the potential to get really ugly. Wouldn't be at all surprised if NYS goes after the NHL for answers. Could have repurcussions on all 3 NY teams

Maybe, but wasn't the NHL's covid protocols and return to play plan incredibly expansive? I'm not saying it's perfect, but they have a laundry list of reasons people get put on the protocol list beyond even testing positive. Also, shouldn't the NY Health Dept have more important things to be worrying about?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Oh ffs.

E: at least it gives time for Dumba to probably not get healthy again in time for the end of the season?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It’s okay. The Wild don’t need any centers right now. I think that leaves maybe just Niko Sturm and Luke Johnson to take draws? Maybe Brad Hunt can start taking them on the PP, why not.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

WeaponX posted:

COVID protocol doesn’t mean infected. That being said- still not great.

I was cautiously optimistic after only Foligno was put on the list, but this doesn’t bode well for 5 more names to go on it. Granted, it could be 1 or 2 positive tests and 3-4 out for safety, but it escalated very quickly.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

It’s fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Well, at least no one from Colorado also got put on the...

Oh what’s that now?

It was a good few week season and I’m excited for when it starts again in a week or two.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1357490395148677120

I love this angle of ref staring right at an obvious penalty occurring in front of another visibly flinching ref (linesman?) and going yep that's cool.

So, last week that was 5 minutes + a game, plus 3 more.

This consistency is mind-blowing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koth posted:

The Habs just look wrong in blue jerseys.

Also, good for Bitetto. He's a good guy. Funny thing I heard on the Jets broadcast, Bitetto's last three "goals" before this one were all called back.

I turned on AZ and STL and the Blues just look a bit wrong in the red jerseys. I know it's from the 90s, but it still doesn't look right at all.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

the canucks are really loving bad. here's Nylander entering the zone 1-on-3 while holding his stick upside down and coming away with puck control:

https://streamable.com/hyotkg

I guess my kid knows a thing or two about show boating because he tried to do this a lot last year in the before times. Just needed to play against the Canucks, because the other 6Us figured out how to just take the puck away. The donuts though were more his forte. Now he just plays with his stick the right way.

I'm also glad they rescheduled STL and AZ to play 4 in a row. They were both supposed to be playing MN and COL next so this will help free up rescheduling for those games later in the year. Only that's when those teams will be on a break for Covid protocol of course.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

xzzy posted:

Upside down sticks is also a common drill for new players, for example coaches trying to teach a powerplay will have the defense run with with upside down sticks because it makes it almost impossible for them to interrupt the play.

So maybe it was a drill like that where your kid got it from, he ran such a nasty defense with an upside down stick he figured he could score with it too. :v:

Yeah, they use donuts with upside down sticks. They run drills with them to teach how to be strong on the stick and to teach how to lift sticks. He just wanted to do it with regular pucks too. It was 6U, so they weren't working on the PP yet. They were still working on successfully passing to each other.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LumpyGumby posted:

So I would HAPPILY take deangelo on the Avs if they included a prospect or good draft pick if the Avs then immediately buy him out a la Brooks Orpik from Washington.

Also, I swear when they do jersey reveals they need to do them with the whole uniform. Jets' RR weren't as bad with the pants etc. Not great, but better. St Louis' was awful. Dallas' was better than I thought they'd be.

I should rank them sometime. Hm.

The green and gold for the Wild were meh until they added the rest. The breezers really made it look good with the stars down the leg. Just the sweater alone was only okay.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

So what's the inevitable MAF back to Pittsburgh trade in a month or two going to look like? Kinda tricky since both teams are capped out.

Why would a team that’s going to challenge want to thin out their goalies by trading one to a team that might miss the playoffs?

There’s nothing that Vegas would need right now to make me see that trade happening.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Sad thing is, I would take each goddamn one of them back at this point

You can’t have them.

Ian Cole has been solid this year and is +4. Bonino is the only center in MN over 50% in the circle. Erikkson-Ek is next at under 43%.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^Which should tell you that it’s been a really really long time.

fisting by many posted:

38.1 (vi) - Any potential goal requiring video review must be reviewed prior to or during the next stoppage of play. No goal may be awarded (or disallowed) as a result of video review once the puck has been dropped and play has resumed.

This is important, but so is not taking off the penalty time even if you find you bottled the call. It means that the rules are being applied inconsistently for the next time a call is screwed up. So yeah, they f’d up the offsides, but then they made it worse by taking the rest off the clock because all the teams aren’t being treated the same when the league messes it up. For the exact reason of what someone mentioned earlier about it only getting done because they had an intermission.

It’s too bad it was a tied game at the time and it completely affected the game, but I don’t see why they went and made it worse.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

This has never happened before, and now will never happen again.

No, they get things wrong all the time, like with other delay of game penalties. But they’re not fixing their mistakes after play has restarted there. But you don’t fix a mistake halfway through it there either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

In the scenario I mentioned (which has happened), play continues uninterrupted after the first (missed) goal until the second goal, so okay it can't happen 30 minutes later but I'm not sure what your point is otherwise.

I'm not sure if you're talking to me, but I'll expand like you are.

I'm talking about removing the remainder of the bench minor for delay of game. It's covered by 16.2 for how minor penalties are treated. I won't quote it because everyone knows it happens after 2 minutes or they score on the PP. So I'm just being critical of the league for 'fixing' the mistake by breaking a rule instead. They can't take the goal away, because that would also be breaking a rule. My point is you can't just pick and choose which objective rules you're going to enforce, even if you realize that as an officiating team/league you've screwed up a big call. (I realize they apply the many penalty rules subjectively, and it's annoying, but I can at least empathize with doing that even if I find it disagreeable.)

If I'm wrong and I'm missing the part where they can just cancel a minor penalty in the middle of it, I'd love to see it. I'm pretty sure there's not anything that allows for it after it's started, and you should just play through it all the way.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

This was standard for the Canucks under AV with a lead in the 3rd. Zero effort to get into the offensive zone. Dump the puck and retreat.

That worked for the Canucks largely because of the Sedins. They’d poach a few in the third to the chagrin of every one else in the Northwest division.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ Fuuu... I knew 9 were on the list, I didn't know it was all positive test results.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It seems like no matter what two-axis chart you dream up, the Penguins will always be way out in a corner of it by themselves.

e: I wonder if you studied it if you'd find that teams coached by old guys are likelier to play dump 'n chase than teams with younger coaches.

It's fascinating seeing MN so far out in a corner too. High possession is good, and they get the puck up the ice fast these days too. It's rare that I watch a game and see them getting stuck in the D zone, so that's going the right direction. They still do better in 1 goal games and really aren't looking like they're just going to out score opponents for a while if ever.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

the devils' number is just people on The Roni List, not necessarily positive tests. until we get the official word, the minnesota wild shall be the undisputed plague champions of 2021

I blame it on playing the Avs 4 times in a row. The league should have seen this coming.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Levitate posted:

So basically the Devils infected Buffalo and the Wild just somehow infected themselves

e: I'm just sticking my fingers in my ears and going "blah blah blah I can't hear you let's see some Rangers hockey" until they start testing positive

To be fair, this is not the first time it’s happened with the Wild. A few years ago they passed around a nasty flu bug and a bunch of players were missing for a couple weeks.

It’s just worse than a nasty flu bug this time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

eXXon posted:

Ryan "Future Minnesota Wild #1C" Dzingel.

Please no. They only have 2 decent centers the way it is.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

You mean the Wild or the Canes?

The wild, we don’t need more bad centers in MN.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That was ten years ago, who can even remember that far back?!

Toronto and Montreal fans.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aye Doc posted:

Mikko's always been a great leader, has always been there for the guys on his team, and that's why he's retiring in a demonstration of solidarity with his oppressed Finnish brother

Yeah, that or he was about ready to do it after last season. I didn't expect CBJ to get much if anything out of Koivu. As far as I'm concerned he's ever only played for the Wild. I'm guessing CBJ is not what Jarro was pitching to him to keep him from retiring.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

So if you put Hakstol and Burke together you end up with a team that only drafts players over 6' 4" but they're also all going to turn out to be surprisingly highly skilled

That's how this works right

Yes, and they'll do great when you get to the NCAA playoffs.

Wait a second...

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Koivu is I think now the fifth dude in the past two years that mysteriously does not publicly blame the coach or organization but simply does not want to play for them anymore

I wouldn’t put this one on Columbus. But just this one.

He’s been trending toward the end of his career for a couple years. Which is great, I just wish he hadn’t sullied his stats page by playing seven games for another team. It made me sad when he wasn’t getting another year in MN, but it kind of made sense. Still a top class player.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

In slight seriousness, I think Torts might sorta fit in Nashville, since he's defensively focused, they're old, and grinding is probably about all you could expect from this team apart from catastrophic fuckups in the near future - watch tonight's game versus Tampa for a preview. Two or three years of Torts, then switching to a real coach, might actually work for them.

On the other hand, and in total seriousness, kicking each player on the team in the groin right before a game and doing literally no other prep work or strategizing would have a more positive effect on their performance than John Hynes.

So long as Torts doesn't end up in Seattle. I can't think of a quicker way to drive off a new fanbase.

E: Granted, Babcock would be just as bad.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 10, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, imagine you start a new job and do a great job on your first 3.5 days then your boss puts you in a dunce cap and makes you sit quietly in front of all your coworkers as your boss belittles you because you had the audacity to have an opinion on how things are going. loving amateur hour poo poo from coach bitch made.

All things considered, hilarious week.

Anyone get one of those dope rear end Kenya sweaters yet? I need pics.

I know time outs work great with kids. Especially when they’re being mouthy. That’ll teach them to never be mouthy to papa again.

I haven’t heard of anyone else being benched outside of CBJ in a while. Maybe if a guy is having an off night they take fewer shifts or sit to break the cycle, but the way coaches talk about it is much different. Why is something fairly rare in the rest of the league so common on that bench?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

Maybe it's just me but don't treat you adult employees like literal toddlers. Though I supposed it's p funny to watch one idiot millionaire to shame another idiot millionaire in front of a bench of idiot millionaires.

That was my point. You do it with kids and it doesn’t even work great there after a while. It doesn’t work with grown ups.

The Sullivan example is what I’m asking about. He doesn’t bench players for ‘not trying’ he sits them because they’re having a bad night and are off the pace. The purpose starts from a team perspective. You’re having a bad night, the team will take it and then you go again another night.

Only other thing I can think is when guys get healthy scratched for just not getting it done.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

FillyLaine don' do rebounds.

Another variable when it comes to coaching is the other player from the trade who, well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwRN5q0utU

...has 2-5-7 in 7GP.

It's amazing what players do when they actually want to be somewhere and the coaching staff actually gives them the opportunity to do it.

When you try to fit a square peg into a round hole in your lineup is when you run into problems.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

I like O Canada infinitely more than the SSB.

Yes, but what's the point when you have 10 Canadians, 6 US, 3 Swedes, a Finn, a Russian, and a German on the same team.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is this a good idea in one of the country's biggest COVID hotbeds?

I mean, Florida and Texas already allow it, so yeah. But lets keep giving poo poo to the league for not keeping the players isolated from this thing.

No no, it's cool, we're only letting in another 2k people to the building. I'm sure this won't go wrong (or won't show up as having gone wrong).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

This is interesting, as Victor Rask was just taken off the list yesterday.

E: And at least one on the taxi squad per Michael Russo.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

yeah people that actually go are being pretty dumb too of course.

In all the games from arenas that are open, each one has had someone take off their mask to talk to someone not in their group. I'm sure these people who can barely keep their masks on to yell to each other are perfectly wearing masks and keeping themselves save from infection before going to these games where they all sit and yell in proximity for a couple hours at a time.

I'd give the league a better grade for covid policy, but you're still hosting people inside the building for hours at a time, so they can just gently caress off. I'm sick of being stuck at home constantly and this makes it worse.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- I didn't realize Chicago was 6-4-4 somehow.

They’re in the same division as Florida, Detroit, and Nashville. This is the best chance they’ll have of making the playoffs for another few years. Granted, I still had them picked as fighting to finish last.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

https://twitter.com/buffalosabres/status/1359883848805416960?s=21

This... is actually pretty cool? I also didn’t know that the first African-American NHL player was on the Sabres.

That's a kick rear end logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Well, he’s not wrong about the second part.