Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

How was this not part of their restrictions from the beginning? I mean, here’s half the problem right here. Once it gets into the circle of players you’re going to have a hard time stopping it fast enough if they’re asymptomatic. I don’t think asking them to not see their family is good, but why are they not being required to stay at home when they’re not working? And then their family staying at home too. It’s not like they’re going to go broke making this adjustment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

Did you know Jay Beagle has won a championship in the ECHL, AHL and NHL? We should give him $12,000,000 for that because he just wins!

Absolutely. The Canucks should give him 12 million just because he's a winner.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kilza posted:

https://twitter.com/sarah__mclellan/status/1360292529539792900

That'd be their first game in 2 weeks if that goes ahead.

Holy wow. There's not been much news about how everyone is doing health-wise, but I'm hoping that's a good thing and effects have been fairly minor. Guerin alluded to this, but the only real info will be seeing that starting line up.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sleep with the vicious posted:

I listened to Michael Russo (MN wild beat writer) on his podcast the other day, apparently all but six wild players got covid and some of them have at least significant symptoms. He thinks not everyone is going to be ready to play right away.

Gotcha. I hadn’t seen anything specific on his Twitter yet. I knew a few lost smell and taste, but not anything about the more significant and less obvious things.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shyduck posted:

I know the league probably has concerns about going past June due to the Olympics but they gotta do something

Lols... olympics.

They’re going to have to go as long as they need this year. Teams are eating up 2 week spans without games and they only left an extra week. The ends of schedules already have 4 games a week with double headers. They either add at least a week or they have to admit they did a bad job with the schedule too. So I see it going an extra week or two as everyone will end up affected by shuffling. And if the north division isn’t, then spread out some of those jammed in games into those weeks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

shyduck posted:

And NBC will throw it on the Weather Channel because the Olympic deal carries far more weight than the hockey deal unfortunately

I’m laughing because the olympics are maybe still going to happen. Let’s get thousands of athletes and coaches together in one place from all over the globe. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

It would also be the first time I’d actually turn on the weather channel for more than 30 seconds.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I think that’s Galchenyuk’s 4th team in about two years. It’s hard to keep track of the actual passage of time.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

AsInHowe posted:

Agreed, understandable, but still weird to just not see it out of nowhere.

It’s been on the way for years. Listen to broadcasters call them the Hawks instead too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That's right. The Oilers were still worse. Minnesota was not good that year at all. That was one of the Todd Richards years and it was not good. There was a decent overhaul in that off season, but we had to put up with Richards for another year. There were a lot of people missing Jacques Lemaire the whole season.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

Bettman will go all the way to the mat and beyond to avoid admitting that an NHL team will never be successful in Phoenix. He's probably wearing out his phone as we speak trying to line up a buyer for the Coyotes that won't immediately move them. In the past he's talked the other owners into contributing money to the Keep Hockey In Hot Weather U.S. Cities That Don't Care About Hockey fund but he might find that a wee tad more difficult a sell in 2021.

Houston has hot weather. Honestly, between them and the Florida Panthers I wonder how they's breaking even with the event. I wonder if there's an agreement with the city in regards to the rink that they have to deal with too.

Also, only down 5 regular players, the Wild gets to play again tonight. Addison and Zuccarello will get season debuts, and Dumba is back from his ankle injury.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Not to mention it wouldn’t be libelous or slanderous considering her evidence.

This makes me wonder if AZ knows that Tony D is available? Seems like he’d fit right into the org.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

tinstaach posted:

Is this a whoosh or did you not know that he was traded to Rangers from Arizona

No, I care very little about him and didn't know he went from AZ to NYR. I wish I could say that I'm surprised?

I'd much rather see the AZ team in a place that actually cared about hockey and not just a place that caters to snowbirds from the Midwest. The only problem with moving a team to the east coast is that they'd want to be in an eastern division and not the Central. I don't get the need to constantly proselytize hockey to people who live in warm weather places. Why keep hockey away from the people who want it the most and give it to people who don't really care all that much? It's not going to grow the game as much as investing in hockey rinks, grassroots, and lower tier programs would.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good soup! posted:

I mean it really depends what warm weather place we're talking about

I wouldn't call putting a team in Houston proselytizing a market that doesn't want it, given it had strong attendance for its AHL team (better than some of those colder markets) and various other reasons. Not to mention it is a massive media market that remains completely untapped by the NHL

I’m 100% okay with it being in Houston, but it’s places like Carolina and Florida and Arizona that probably don’t need teams. I turn on Panthers home games in a regular year and they routinely have terrible attendance. I remember they were talking about how they’d have to make the playoffs to get people interested in hockey and that’s the opposite of what I’d want as a team.

I remember when the Houston Aeros were Wild affiliated. They would have great attendance, but I can’t argue with having your AHL team a 4 hour drive away either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ThinkTank posted:

99% of "culture" poo poo is just nonsense with a hefty dose of recency bias. When a team is winning everyone is happy and gets along, when they are losing it's usually the opposite.

Build a good team that wins and you'll have a good culture. Build a lovely team that loses and you'll have a bad culture no matter how many vets with leadership qualities you sign.

Build a good team and you’ll have a good culture. Start with a lovely concept/attitude and you’ll build a bad culture. Winning is not a culture thing, but it doesn’t hurt to be happy to be playing with the team, and is a step down the road from it. It certainly makes it easier to perform at a high level and have fun. It’s why having a toxic locker room can be such a drag. No one has fun or wants to be there, the effects can be negative too. You can also have a toxic group that still performs well, but maybe that’s because they want to punch each other’s faces in.

I’m a little surprised that we don’t hear more about finding guys that fit the group concept on and off the ice more. Maybe it’s just a more common idea in some other sports, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it started creeping into hockey too. You know, in 40-50 years when they catch up.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, but how many times do we have to watch Boston, Pittsburg, and Chicago do outdoor games?

Could they feasibly do an outdoor game in Florida or Arizona even? I’d hate to be in charge of that ice. I guess they did one in So Cal, but I don’t remember the ice being amazing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rotten Cookies posted:

What was he supposed to do?!

Yeah, he didn’t go in high or hard, that just looks acrobatic. His pad was on the ice and that’s a great poke check. Just looks like Pearson was trying to step around and missed on it while Markstrom won that pretty well. Maybe there’s another angle, but it even looked like he was trying to minimize contact too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ginette Reno posted:

Personally I hope if the Pens miss the playoffs that they do not pick in the top 5 because hoo boy would it suck to hand Minnesota a top 5 pick.

Seems fine to me. Working as intended.

No I’m not hoping the Pens finish near the bottom, why do you ask?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

The Dirty Burger posted:

Taylor Hall is going to end his career at 14 playoff games played

Conor McDavid. This is his future if he doesn’t leave Edmonton. Sure, it may not be only 14 games, but it’s not going to be a large number either. That is disappointing as Hall has been a good forward for many years, but keeps getting stuck on bottom half teams.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I wish Vegas could settle on one color scheme per year. That would be really helpful, thanks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Starsfan posted:

I dunno I've been watching alot of the Oilers lately and I'm starting to think this scoring depth thing is over-rated.

Scoring is great, you can't win without it. But winning is better, and winning in the playoffs is even better, and winning in the final is the best. So if your team only focuses on scoring, it's decent fun to watch for 82 games a season, but everyone would really prefer a team that scores more than the other team and gets to lift that shiny metal cup at the end.

It's why McDavid and Eichel being on perennial not great teams really sucks for both fans of the teams and everyone else who would really like to neutrally see those generational talents end with the cup in their hands (so long as it's not opposing team whatever that does it).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s insane. He was only decent for the Gophers, that was a crazy transaction. Fire the guy who made that deal, but before that deal got made.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cocaine Bear posted:

lol Pens got a dead guy running the show.

Brain activity has to start before it can stop.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thehoodie posted:

Lol who would have thought that playing a hockey game on ice in the middle of a bright sunny day wouldn't go very well?

Everyone who's ever played hockey on an outdoor rink.

In fairness to the NHL, it isn't normal to be above freezing in Tahoe in February. But they should have known better when they saw the forecast and moved it ahead of time. It should be fine again by 4pm, but these noon puck drops only work if it's actually cold outside.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

bewbies posted:

didn't he do something anti-Putin lately?

"believe women, but question Putin" is a good policy

I’d be happy to believe this woman too, but she hasn’t said anything. It’s only Nazarov who’s saying this in the article. And he didn’t even see it happen.

It’s pretty obvious that it’s a hatchet job, because the conclusion they draw is it means Panarin must be a horrible evil person and that’s why he said something good about someone else. It’s a poorly veiled attempt at character assassination, but what else might you expect?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
How about a different Russian, Kirill Kaprizov, sitting on the top of the rookie points board? Not going to lie, he’s been quite the player in most games. Great control and he’s been jumping on passes and forcing turnovers and then turning them into attacking plays. I haven’t been this excited about Wild draft picks/rookies in many years. It’s kind of nice that he’s a couple years older too, much less waiting on development.

Also, Calen Addison looked pretty decent mostly. Still a little nervy on a few plays, but over all solid defensively. He’s back to Iowa for hopefully some more minutes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He's 23. It's not as impressive when they're old.

If they can remember not having a cellphone, boring.

Yeah. I expect that the muted media attention is because he’s 23 and also because he’s in MN.

I will take that over someone who can barely remember to get to practice on time because they’re posting on Instagram. Still, he’s been good and pretty consistent so far and I’ll take that every year. The way he plays, I would expect a point per game average is a decent shout.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

So if anyone’s curious as to why Galchenyuk sucks now a guy who was part of the Habs and then Leafs coaching staff wrote up an interesting piece:

https://jhanhky.substack.com/p/searching-for-alex-galchenyuk

That's a really good article on it. That had a great video attached for my little hockey player to watch too. He's working on putting all the pieces together and watching skating drills is useful when we get very little ice time (and haven't seen the ice at all for most of the last year).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Misanthrope posted:

Having not seen a Panthers game all year... Yes? Honestly what the hell Florida?!

They’ve played Detroit 6 times already and Nashville twice. That’s almost half their games played against really terrible teams. They’re not terrible, but let’s see them play Tampa, Carolina, and Dallas a bit more before we jump to too many conclusions. I’d still bet they finish in the 4/5 spot. It’s an odd season though, and Dallas may implode a bit more than I had expected so who knows.

Florida was a decent team for stretches last season before the suspension too. So this isn’t really too surprising if you look back at what they’ve been doing either. But, I wouldn’t bet on them wining the cup.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Holy wow. If I ever have heart surgery I want to be back moving quickly again like this. I’m sure he’s short on stamina, but that’s a pretty fast turn around. One of the times you just can’t help but cheer for the player, regardless of team.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MononcQc posted:

https://i.imgur.com/vi0HK5c.mp4

Still amazed this goal was waived off.=

For goalie interference? That’s terrible. He had plenty of time to get set again and just stopped moving instead. That’s weak sauce.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It pains me to say this, but the DoPS was much better with Brendan Shanahan in charge. They still maybe missed some, but their thought process was better explained and they pushed the suspensions through more consistently.

They’re woefully inconsistent now.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kilza posted:

Oh hey there hasn't been any new postponements in awhile, maybe the league has finally managed to get this season under control despite the pandemic (and Texas weather)!

https://twitter.com/PR_NHL/status/1364671525601890309

oops nevermind

Fuuu... MN just got out of a COVID break and they were just in San Jose. I really hope this doesn’t create a round 2.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

soggybagel posted:

The wild have a long and proud tradition of only beating the avalanche a couple times to make it to the 2nd round.

Yes, and then losing to Chicago.

But, they won’t be playing Chicago in round 2 this year. So I’ll take my chances.

They did make the Conference finals once in I want to say 2003 or so, but drat it has been a long time since they’ve been anything but playoff filler. We’re they to make it this year I still think they’d be first out of the semifinal (they won’t though, they’d have to beat the Avs and I don’t see that happening this year).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, that sounds right. It wasn’t a good attempt at all.

At least I don’t have to complain about firing a GM this year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MononcQc posted:

everyone keeps complaining that the habs are limiting themselves by only hiring coaches who can speak french but that also means they can't go for Mike Babcock so who can say if it's good or bad

C’est tres bon.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

These divisions are awesome and keeping them and using a super unbalanced schedule so most games are in-division would be awesome.

Just toss Minnesota into the Canada Division next year to make room for Seattle, what the hell.

I’m trying to find a problem with this, but that does seem very reasonable. They’ve had a good record against plenty of the Canadian teams too.

Seattle is closer to the border though. That’s it, my only retort.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

What if we cut a deal that Minnesota agrees to move to the Canada Division and we change their name back to the Minnesota North Stars as God intended?

Dallas can just be the Dallas Hockey Team or whatever who cares.

I like all of this. Especially the last part. “Dallas Hockey Team or Whatever” has a nice ring to it. Hopefully someone from their marketing division calls us up to consult on this great rebranding opportunity.

Seattle vs Vancouver will be good, but full of passive aggression off the ice.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
He’s embraced the salad. Played pretty well on his first few games last week. I’d expect he’ll get more time next year after the expansion draft takes one of the top 4 defense.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Good soup! posted:

The ending to that Minnesota/LA game was fun

No joke. I saw that go in, but did not believe all that open ice.

Also, people should take a better look at this Kaprizov guy. He’s looking to be something pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It's good that Stalock is finally almost not injured anymore. I hope he gets some game time somewhere. He's just going to end up sitting 3rd choice goalie right now though with Kappo Kahkonen playing well.