Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I'm trying to think of an equivalent as like... just a really longtime session musician.
Not quite a Robert Fripp but someone who didn't really have much of a solo career to speak of but could come in on a track and lay something down and then move on.

Way late to this, but you're thinking of Adrian Belew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOhjZJyNOx4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBbH6EsNBAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KQjy02eqOk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Single line text reply from my friend in the front office of the Coyotes after mentioning the Athletic story:

"Much worse than you could imagine. Tip of the iceberg."

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

ThinkTank posted:

My favourite "what are the Sabres doing?" deal is when they gave up Brayden McNabb, 2 2nds and a contract slot for uh... this guy. I guess they thought he had potential even though he was drafted in the 4th round one year prior?

I remember at the time that Kings fans thought they were getting hosed on that trade.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

I see the "talented young team floundering against expectations" news out of Calgary and would like to remind them that the town of Viking, Alberta is only 3 hours NE.

LOL, would love to see the "high-flying high-scoring" Calgary Flames turned into a defensive minded grindhouse of "win as many games 2-1" as possible.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

fawning deference posted:

It's silly to call him a psycho. People seem to routinely not take into the effects of being brought up in a particular culture with particular norms. Russia is brutally, violently homophobic, in conjunction with being orthodoxic religious, and in addition to that, there is no free information in Russia. Growing up without internet OR with in today's day and age makes no difference - the state makes it impossible to hear different perspectives and viewpoints that the state doesn't want you to hear. It's an fortress of intellectual repression.

It concerns me sometimes that Americans look through everything with an American lens. A person who winds up not being homophobic who grows up in Russian orthodoxy is miraculous, because the culture is inescapable and forced onto people. It's a miserable place and growing up with regressive social views isn't the mark of a "psychopath," it's the mark of an abhorrent state-sponsored culture of homophobia and patriarchy. This is not me "making excuses" - I detest anti-gay views. We just have to understand where they come from, and sometimes you are a prisoner in a society with no ability to escape its norms.

I can second this. I worked with an otherwise completely well-adjusted Westernized woman who was an executive at Warner Brothers who has lived in California for 25 years and the poo poo about people of other races and creeds and sexual orientations and need for a "strong father figure for the people" in Putin that flowed out of her mouth on a regular basis would blow your hair back. That stuff is encoded into their DNA back in places like Chelyabinsk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

And now the Kings are one of the worst. Everyone wins!

5 game winning streak says “Sup bra?”

Team is weird. Dustin Brown on a career goal-scoring pace. Quick with 2 shutouts in last 3 starts. Vilardi finding his game (considering how close he was to hanging up the skates, everyone should cheer him) and really none of the super exciting kids are even up on the main club. Fun times.