Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

corn on the cop posted:

this guy still stuck in ten years ago

Not a bad thing if he could replicate his performance from a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I had to look this up in relation to the Leafs, because I would have guessed Pogge was the last Leafs-drafted goalie to play a game for the Leafs. But, I forgot that Reimer was actually drafted by the Leafs, and both Sparks and Bibeau had 38 games between them.

Losing Reimer for basically nothing was the worst trade involving a Leafs-drafted goalie this century.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Dr Zaius posted:

Am I missing the joke here? Because, ya know, Rask...

Surely, the Leafs would never trade someone of Rask's caliber? That would haunt them, for sure.

yes, yes it was

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

This isn't just playing a game for the Leafs (or Oilers), this is playing a complete game for anyone!

I guess I should have mentioned that while I thought the Leafs were bad, I didn't realize that it could be even worse.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Koopa Kid posted:

No, that was his replacement, Cliff Fletcher.

JFJ is the guy that traded Tuukka Rask to the Bruins for Andrew Raycroft.

Yeah get your transactions by bad Leafs GMs straight!

I also love that the following offseason, the Leafs tried to correct their goaltending situation again by trading a 1st (which they already knew was the 13th overall), 2nd, and 4th for Toskala. Great times.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My last made me remind myself of the Leafs post-lockout goaltending miseries. I am also going to use GSAA on Hockey-Reference. I am not sure how good it is, but I like that it really shows how poor some of these goalies were compared to the average.

05-06: Belfour, .892 SV%, -13.77
06-07: Raycroft, .894 SV%, -22.02
07-08: Toskala, .904 SV%, -9.30
08-09: Toskala, .891 SV%, -27.09
09-10: Gustavsson, .902 SV%, -10.31 & Toskala, .874 SV%, -25.02

Then Reimer showed up and provided adequate goaltending.

These teams weren't good, but you have to imagine that average goaltending would have given the Leafs the few points they needed to make the playoffs. In 05-06, they missed by 2 points. In 06-07, they missed by 1 point. Then they just got really bad.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2021

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Picking Team Canada is pretty easy. I feel like the only rule to picking Team Canada is to not pick Rob Zamuner.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Time to look at the stats leaderboards...

Wait, who is that tied for 3rd? Joe "1 goal per game, 2 points per game" Pavelski? I believe.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Cocaine Bear posted:

The Stars will go on winning forever. Blessing of the Tron.

I don't see any reason why they will ever lose again.

Also, looking at their roster, I'd like to say that I want time to stop now. I didn't realize Radulov has been back in the NHL for 5 seasons now. Worse? Klingberg has been in the NHL for 7 seasons. When did this all happen? I don't like it.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

When Crosby retires, that will be my disintegrate into dust moment. He's a year younger than me, and I have such vivid memories of his prospect hype, him getting drafted, and his first season.

Going to be great when he's still Sid the Kid at, like, 60.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

In speaking about Bennett, what happened to Dal Colle? He was a good scorer in the OHL, and that seems to have instantly vanished when he got to the AHL.

I am just happy the Leafs got Nylander in that draft, because there were a few landmines.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Last night, I saw someone getting gas with a Roman Josi Predators jersey. As someone who lives in Ontario, I found this odd. However, the oddest jersey I have seen at a non-sporting event, was someone wearing a Syracuse Crunch Vasilevskiy jersey. IIRC, this was around 2016.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

For me, it will be hard to top the Bertuzzi Flames jersey I saw at a Propagandhi show in Canberra.

Had to look up that, yes, Todd Bertuzzi once played for Calgary.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Or, and hear me out, we just remove the American teams from this season and whoever wins the Canadian Division gets crowned the Stanley Cup champ.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

My only memory of players doing this is when Brett Hull retired after 5 games, and when Palffy left midseason with the Pens, both in 05-06.

I am sure it's happened other times.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

goldrush posted:

It's awesome that on the night Connor McDavid gets some national TV exposure in the USA he somehow goes pointless against the Ottawa Senators

Can't stand the pressure, apparently. He's a bust.

fawning deference posted:

Also, Pronman has a new top 31 for the 2021 draft. Nobody is tiered to have a higher ceiling than a top-line/top-pair all-star, so as we already knew, no franchise players in this draft, and no consensus 1st overall.

His first tier is Luke Hughes and Matt Beniers. Tier two is Owen Power and Dylan Guenther.

Also there's someone named Chaz Lucius.

I wonder if, like, in ten years, this draft is going to look really weird thanks with hindsight. I am not even sure how you properly rank any of the players coming in. Has the CHL, outside of the WJC, even played since last March?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

For equality's sake, I think every NHL game should play the national anthem of the country from every player in that game.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Barring injury or covid shutdown Patrick Marleau will be the all-time games played leader in NHL history by the end of the year. Is there a more underwhelming guy to own a record like that in pro sports? He's a 3 time Allstar in his 23 year career, has no nominations for a major award, has just two ppg seasons and has never won a cup. His career defining attribute is that he made the league at 18 and never really got hurt. Plus he seems like a huge dork.

Baseball's all-time games played leader isn't even in the Hall of Fame.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

Anyone read Teemu's book? I'd like to read it but I've been burned by books like Nic Lidstroms where he just reads through the results of every game instead of any stories or insight

This is why I had to stop reading hockey memoirs unless they come recommended. I think my last one was Doug Gilmour's, and surprise surprise, guess what he did not discuss?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Wonderllama posted:

Imagine marleau’s memoir

"One time, I was enjoying a great evening with my family, when a crazed Jeremy Roenick showed up to my front door yelling at me about my captaincy.."

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

mennoknight posted:

if we're taking fiction hockey books too, King Leary by Paul Quarrington is great. also really liked Dave Bidini (from the Rheostatitcs)'s books.

Thanks for reminding me to read King Leary.

I also really liked Gare Joyce's "Future Greats and Heartbreaks". It's the only book I know that tries to figure out what, exactly, a scout's job is. Also, interesting to now see from a historical perspective, just because it was looking towards the 2007 draft. Akim Aliu figures heavily into the book's narrative.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

After the playoffs last year, a friend was complaining about the Leafs and wished that that they were more like the Canucks.

I texted him the other day asking if he still felt that way, and he ignored that text and responded to something else.

I am just glad I always have the correct opinion and no one can ever use my prior opinions against me.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I love the Leafs. They bring me so much amusement.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Didn't realize Lafreniere was struggling that badly offensively. Weird to see two first overall picks in a row take a dump out of the gates like that. Hughes has been wayyyy better this year though and actually looks quite legit now. I guess Kaakko still hasn't quite his stride either though.

You have to go back pretty far to see when this happened last. Even Yakupov had a better rookie season than you'd remember (his only decent season, really). Thornton/Lecavalier/Stefan all had rough rookie seasons.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Hughes last year?

Stamkos' first half?

And neither of those other guys had a situation where they were coming to a huge media market city under pandemic circumstances without any acclimation period before the season, so I think he deserves a leash.

My response was the "two guys in a row" part of his statement. We haven't seen two guys in a row have rough rookie season since the 90s, at least from a quick glance.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Oh I missed that part.

But yeah, to find even one is difficult, too. Since 2000, there really only has been the first half of Stamkos' season. I seem to remember both Ekblad and Johnson having good rookie seasons. I guess maybe Fleury had some doubts, but it's been so long, I can't remember.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

bewbies posted:

wasn't stamkos due to melrose just using him idiotically? like he would've been an elite player if he'd just been played normally

Yeah, that was exactly it. I am pretty sure as soon as Melrose left, Stamkos' ice-time and production went up pretty quickly.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

CocoaNuts posted:

Gretz and Mario are still #1 and #2.

The Great One reached 500 points in 234 games, and Lemieux did it in 287 games.

I looked up to see when others have managed this feat, and Crosby did it in 369 games and Ovie did it in 373 games. It is eerily similar that McDavid is going to be right around the same mark as them (possibly the exact same as Crosby).

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Misanthrope posted:

It's eerie how close Crosby and McDavid are points wise... really similar trajectories other than consistently making the playoffs, enjoying success in the playoffs and that silver cup that gets awarded.

But otherwise really similar...

If only McDavid had a Malkin.

Oh, wait. What is that?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Perhaps my second paragraph should have been clearer. My fault. I was making fun of the fact that they also have a Malkin-like player in Draisaitl.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The great thing about veteran leadership and winning culture is the players don't even need to have been on good winning teams. You can just straight up be Erik Gudbranson and get that rep

NHL captain, Chris Clark.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Brandon Sutter was made the highest paid player to never put up 40 points and also got the first ever retroactive NTC in league history because his dad and uncles won a bunch.

I took a look at Brandon Sutter's junior career, and it confused me as to why he was drafted so high. Then I read an NHL.com draft profile.

quote:

Sutter’s strengths include his overall effort and work ethic, being very smart with the puck and an ability to play in any situation. Sutter could use improvement on his conditioning and ability to finish off his scoring chances.

quote:

The Flyers say…
“Brandon Sutter comes from good bloodlines, and is similar to the way his dad plays and knows the game.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

DJExile posted:

https://twitter.com/NHLhistorygirl/status/1362419601758330882

a fun addition to the "what could have been" pile

It would have been interesting to see Fedorov playing against the Red Wings in 02, if all things remained the same.

The Canes probably don't sign Ron Francis, though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I will be honest, guys. If Claude Lemieux made the HHOF, I wouldn't mind.

This is not an invitation to show me why I am wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Well, you are both wrong. Too bad.