Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This is a great page for remembering some guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

think it's the splash brothers warriors that first year before everyone got sick of them and it became a chore to talk about them but also a big fan of those c webb kings teams relative to their era

Yeah, these were my answers too, with the homer addition of the Lawson Nuggets under Karl when they were scoring the most points in the league.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah I've seen clips of that famous game that the Pistons won 186-184. The Moe offense was complete chaos, all 5 guys moving constantly with no set plays and almost no dribbling.

Edit: https://youtu.be/cjebTwqoDjs

This owns so hard. I’m imagining how many points they would have scored if they had thought “hey what if we take all our jumpers slightly behind this line instead of in front of it”

If some old dude ever talks poo poo about defense back in the day I’m going to bring up how a team hung 186 on the bad boy pistons with jump shots

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

You already know what mf year it is

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
You know I've been thinking that Julyan Stone never got a fair shake in the NBA, he was better than Lonzo Ball. And before you ask my work schedule overlaps with Reyer Venezia games

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Intruder posted:

The Rockets may have already won too many games for that

They need to trade Oladipo and a pick for Westbrook

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

quote:

Nikola Jokic, the Denver Nuggets’ self-effacing MVP candidate, had just been asked to identify comparisons between his game and that of Lakers superstar LeBron James ahead of their first meeting of the season Thursday night in Los Angeles.

“The speed is there. We are the same athleticism,” Jokic said during a Zoom call Wednesday, moving his head in whatever direction would allow him to combat a smirk. “I don’t know if he can jump as high as me actually, but we are kind of similar. Quickness. He’s a little bit older, so I don’t know, can he keep up with the speed—?”

Finally, Jokic cracked, just before he added a final punctuation to the ruse.

“Oh my god, guys, he’s the best player in the league,” Jokic said.
:3:

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Too soon. Don't do it. Reconsider. Read some litera
ture on the subject

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

Tells you all you need to know about those stats

Points is a bad stat because some players with a lot of points are bad at defense

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Intruder posted:

I can't think of who you might mean

I was just making fun of euphronius but I definitely meant Pete Maravich.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
There's no union on the planet that can be effective if the people in it don't actively participate, unions can descend into decisions that basically only help union leadership if left unchecked. This isn't an indictment of unions, of course, but workers have to be active rather than passive members.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Why would you mute Kevin Harlan, he is nothing if not pleasant to listen to even if Reggie has no analytical ability. Harlan gets genuinely excited by cool dunks and does his "woo!" hype noise after them and hell same

The rhythm of calling NBA games does feel a bit off with them doing it remotely instead of in-person

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

hifi posted:

I like chuck because he's a funny grumpy old man like eddie johnson or jeff van gundy (without mark jackson). they couch their complaints in how basketball used to be in the 80s but generally you can squint and see what they're talking about. shaq and mark jackson are just bitter and spiteful and they say ridiculously wrong things and don't add a net benefit to the broadcast

Yeah, and with Shaq it always comes back to comparing players to himself, in some way. Barkley isn't constantly trying to start poo poo with power forwards for not playing like he used to play.

I went back and watched a few old episodes of Open Court that were on youtube, and in shaq's first appearance he seems kind of humbled to be on TV and I actually liked him, then in the next one he went on and on about how Dwight was a ~new school pick and roll center~ not an ~old school back to the basket center~ (like Brook Lopez, of all people to say that about) and it just sucked so bad.

Which reminds me, Jamal Murray this year more than ever looks like he's trying to play like Kobe at all times and I hate it. He's taking these crazy off balance fadeaway twos every time he can, and it makes no goddamned sense. You're playing with Jokic, man, act like it. He even posted up a few times in the last game. Cut that poo poo out Jamal. Looking up his shooting on b-r, his % of shots from 16-3P has been increasing every single year, and he's making 41% of them now.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rick posted:

Arenas is pretty positive. Uncrowned Hall of Famer Robert Horry, too.

Arenas is the guy who should be on Inside instead of Shaq

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

verbal enema posted:

i remembered this so imma post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfbS_vsdGA4

that dunks rules so goddamn much

I'd like to think that Bam is such a good passer he purposefully threw a terrible lob to make the dunk cooler

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Halliburton was insanely good. He did the exact same impossible-looking up and under layup twice.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

morestuff posted:

I don’t really understand how the Wizards are this bad

Westbrook at this point is like a thought exercise in how bad a hypothetical player could be while putting up stats that make it seem like they're a good player.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

euphronius posted:

I honestly thought this was a young jokic for like half the clip

https://twitter.com/maxisnicee/status/1358461560629329921?s=21

Truly incredible. Silent film-esque physical commitment to the bit

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
This is pretty funny: jokic is obviously angry that MPJ took that three, pouts about it instead of going for the ORB, then immediately shoots the three and yells something like "shoot it like that" at MPJ

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
malik beasley is going to jail for 120 days after the season https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30867715/timberwolves-malik-beasley-sentenced-sept-arrest

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

To me, the true definition of a superstar is someone who when they're charging at the hoop and fling up a bullshit shot while getting fouled, it goes in. Maybe there's some advanced metric about FG% while tightly contested, but whatever, it's just making shots that are complete bullshit on a regular basis

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
"And performing our national anthem, please welcome Sunn 0)))" [two hour drone begins]

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

I actually yelled like I stubbed my toe when this happened

https://twitter.com/nuggets/status/1359715607856390151

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
It’s probably a foul, but you’re not getting that call on an inbounds play with the game on the line. Inbounder should have known what the purpose of the screen was and thrown the lob, it’s the player’s fault more than the official’s.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Is there any proof that face guarding doesn’t work or is it just anecdotal “well he made the shot anyway” stuff? Or is the argument that there are better uses of your hand or defensive attention ?

I'd guess it probably does work, you need to see the basket to shoot unless you're Steph

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

HookShot posted:

Hello basketball thread! I'm a Canadian who has watched maybe 20 minutes of basketball combined in my life (and ten of that was the end of the game when the Raptors won the basketball Stanley Cup a couple years ago) and I would like to learn more about your fine sport, mainly for education and trivia purposes. Can you guys recommend me a book or two to read that can get me caught up on the basics of basketball and it's history?

Thank you in advance :)

There's only one possible answer: FreeDarko's undisputed guide to pro basketball history.

People might mention the Bill Simmons book. Don't get it! It sucks and he sucks!

Welcome to our sport :)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Zogo posted:

Jokic currently has 36% of the Nuggets WS which is a big amount.

The announcer said that 34 is the record for consecutive double-doubles to open a season. They have not heard of Wilt.

For some reason, they date it to when the NBA started keeping official track of "double-doubles," which makes no sense, since we have records of assists and rebounds.

I checked a few Wilt seasons, and he had one game in his rookie year where he didn't get a double-double, then one in his fourth year. Seems like he left both games pretty early.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i like the way they dribble and luguentz dort

Lmaoooo

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Senator Drinksalot posted:

the Nuggets' bench is going to get them bounced in the 1st round

Hmmmm until RJ Hampton is unleashed

I’m pretty convinced that the Nuggets’ success in the bubble was at least 50% because Barton was injured

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

big boi posted:

Lmao there are only five sixers posters

It really is shocking, there’s supposedly as many Pacers fans but I don’t even know who the Pacers PG/backup forward is. Malcolm Gladwell?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

God drat it this was almost my pre-season prediction hot take, that Mason would get his first triple double this year. My replacement one about Bol Bol is looking wayyyyyy less likely

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle rules and it’s pretty mean to specifically poo poo talk Seattle in the nba thread tbh

Let me know when OKC has an autonomous zone because the cops fled a police precinct

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
yeah Green definitely fouled, he jumped into Beal for sure. Just bad defense on a two-second possession, embarrassing

speaking of bad denver defense

https://twitter.com/TlMBERWOLVES/status/1362131883836997637

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 18, 2021

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Was that a flagrant at least? JFC.

No, and someone on the Wizards was audibly yelling that it was an offensive foul

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Shout out Kawhi and Jokic for not tweeting. They’re better people than us

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Jokic is a good defender. Denver’s defense is bad because their team gives up an unreasonable number of blow-bys on the perimeter that either lead to layups or open threes; Jokic isn’t a DPOY candidate or anything but he’s a positive

It takes a lot of watching him to see why, because the “eye test” after a couple games just says he’s slow. But he plays good defense in a pretty unusual way for a seven-footer, he has amazing instincts for deflections, which gets a lot of steals (and creates free steals for his teammates), and instead of being a shot-blocker at the top of the arc while contesting a shot, he’s good at sticking his hand in while the opponent is starting their shot to knock it away, which doesn’t usually count as a block

He’s basically playing 1v5 out there a lot of nights, it can be pretty depressing. He put up 50 in a loss. He’s the MVP so far for sure

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Denver’s perimeter defense is so bad they subbed in Facundo Campazzo as a late-game defensive stopper on Westbrook. He’s a rookie and roughly 4’10”

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Denver’s current defenders, on their entire roster, that are above average (not necessarily good):

Jokic
Millsap (maybe)
Gary Harris
Facu

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Lockback posted:

Gary Harris isn't really that good on D. He's one of those guys that's really active on the perimeter but not really making a big impact.

Yep, he’s probably a top 40% perimeter defender. And he’s their best one. But this is Jokic’s fault for not being a better GM I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rick posted:

My only thought on Jokic's defense is that despite being in the best shape of his life, he seems to be having more difficulty than ever getting back in transition and Denver is surrendering a lot of points before he gets back to play any defense in the first place.

He has to yell at the refs, it’s important