Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

big boi posted:

I would not like to be a Dallas fan right now

every single mavericks fan knew they were losing it as soon as they lost the tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
honestly it does feel like some of the stuff that's happening is a little bit bad luck, I know the team sucks at rebounds but quite a few of them are just weird ping pongs. there were like 3 blocked shots that ended up as points for the Suns through weird poo poo.

It sucks that this was a wasted J-Rich game, but Luka and KP were only like passable on offense (the D was good)

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

The Maestro posted:

I was adamant that the bubble not have an asterisk because it was an even playing field, and still feel that way.

This season deserves an asterisk.

I think the playoffs might end up fine, the league sorta has seemed to figure stuff out? Sucks for the Mavs though...

Hey at least the Mavs are back to throwing away games in the clutch instead of getting blown out!!!

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

This season does, when I saw a week or two ago the healthiest teams (covid wise) were also most of the teams with the best records that became real apparent. They should have delayed all the Dallas games when half the rotation was out. The Mavs and the Heat have been more hosed by Covid than any other teams in the league. If they don't make the playoffs, half the reason will be due to unlucky spread among their teams. This season hasn't been a level playing field.

Carlisle should be fired. Might be rough firing the head of the coach's union but he doesn't have the ability to coach end game situations successfully anymore. I'd be shocked if any other coach in the last two years has failed as much as him when the score is within 5 in the last 2 minutes.

sometimes the offense gets real stagnant, sometimes we just miss open shots. luka found dorian open in the corner and it would've sealed the game but he missed it, and he's a pretty good corner shooter. idk. This stuff feels like it should even out but it hasn't.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Dutchy posted:

like this adjustment to the sub pattern by Rick Carlisle ie if Luka's gonna sit at the start of the 4th make sure Porzingis isn't out there to totally stink up the joint

I was like "Man I kind of like this lineup" and I realized it was with no KP.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Dutchy posted:

I listened to Zach Lowe's podcast today and he mentioned the Mavs with KP on and Luka off have a 99 offensive rating and part of me was like "wow" and part of me was like "yeah no poo poo"

Yeah I mean... it seems like when he's at his best he can make the passes and get other guys involved but I think right now he's pressing too much? That's what was happening early last season, too.

This game he's definitely showed some flashes. He's at his best when he's making those late cuts to the rim with Luka and getting the open midrange looks. He had a driving dunk, that cut just now, he's run the floor well in transition... he needs to to stuff off the ball to get into good position and know Luka will find him and he'll get rewarded

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Brolander posted:

oh weird we are more competitive with drummond off the floor. weird

Mavs fans really want him LOL. I mean I can see why, our most glaring weaknesses are "rebounding" and "dear god can any big man please make a layup"

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

KP really does just stop the offense to a halt sometimes, either he's shooting too early or he's holding onto the ball too long and Luka has to bail him out

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Hawks are literally employing a strategy of "let a mav shoot wide open corner 3s every possession" and it's working

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Thank you KP lmao

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Dutchy posted:

Mavs have had three wide open corner 3s in the last minute and a half that would basically end it and none of them were close

And two of them? were for Hardaway who was like 4/6 lol

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Dutchy posted:

feels like the best Mavs 3-point shooting night in a month and it's 32.5% lol

Josh 1/7, KP 1/6, Luka 1/5 eeeeee

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

everyone working for TNT is really upset that rick carlisle told them they didn't know what they gently caress they were talking about re: kp posting up

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Perhaps the Mavericks should attempt to get to the rim against a very small team. It is only a suggestion here

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

MourningView posted:

tbh I think he's been pretty bad this year

He's been bad but not for the reasons they think.

The problem for KP is that he cannot create his own offense consistently, and he looks very unnatural anytime he dribbles. He looks best when he is cutting towards the basket and setting screens, not posting up or waiting above the break to take a 27 foot 3

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

"Hit your loving shots" me to the Mavs all year

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Mavs finally have a hot shooting night and they're in a dogfight because Kelly Oubre has 21 in like 12 minutes

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Zach Lowe is 100% right that Luka needs to whine a whole bunch less

Ugh for sure

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

lol Wiggins took KP off the dribble and Rick said "get Maxi in there"

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

these refs have called bullshit fouls on 3 straight possessions lol. one of them for a luka 3pt foul so w/e

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

KP hitting 3s now I guess?

He's kind of like Klay or Love, he's super streaky.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

The Mavericks have allowed 106 points and Chris Webber thinks the problem for Dallas is that they're shooting too many 3s.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

basically feels like I shouldn't watch the mavs when they play on TNT because it's just hours of them complaining about how the Mavs play

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Porzingis was on fire so the Pelicans decided not to guard him and he went cold lol

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Spacebump posted:

Refs gifting this to Portland down the stretch is an obnoxious finish.

The elbow to Luka's face by Melo was an offensive foul when the Mavs did it in the third.
Lillard got freethrows for a phantom foul.

That's 4 points. Mavs win if that's called correctly. drat

Nah Hardaway hit Lillard, it was good.

KP was bad and I need him not to be bad though, it's getting real tough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

It feels like Luka is just surrounded with role players who can do one or two things well and just completely poo poo the bed when asked to do anything else and Carlisle's job is the find the right combination of poo poo to put out there.

The only guy who has not played like that all year is Brunson and maybe Richardson every other game