Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

If you time it well, one shot with the Cain can kill both Ymirs in Garrus' loyalty mission at once.

i managed to strip one mech to health, used lift on it, Garrus *immediately* landed a headshot and it nuked the other mech for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cythereal posted:

If you time it well, one shot with the Cain can kill both Ymirs in Garrus' loyalty mission at once.

If you time it slightly less well, you can kill both Ymirs, the rest of your squad, and yourself. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What's a fun class to play that's different from Vanguard and is also fun to play in ME2/3? Thinking maybe Sentinel or Engineer? I'm nearing the end of ME3 and despite myself I have an itch to start right back up from ME1 to do a renegade run, and want to try something different.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Sydin posted:

What's a fun class to play that's different from Vanguard and is also fun to play in ME2/3? Thinking maybe Sentinel or Engineer? I'm nearing the end of ME3 and despite myself I have an itch to start right back up from ME1 to do a renegade run, and want to try something different.

I love engineer. In the first game it is kind of boring as the powers aren't anything to write about and unless you have a previous completion are stuck with only the pistol skills. Mass effect 2 engineer is great on higher difficulties as its powers are designed to work on armor/shields unlike biotic which don't work at all on them. They are stuck with only smgs and heavy pistols but the paladin/locust combo is great and their powers have a very small cool down. Mass Effect 3 is where engineer really shines and you become a space wizard of death. Personally sentinel is my least favorite class tied with soldier. If you never want to worry about dying sentinel is the class for you though.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sydin posted:

I really like playing Engineers, they are really good in 3 and you could technically solo the game with an Engie as they have a skill tree that covers everything, they can strip shields and barriers and melt armour and the drone and turret are really good at crowd control.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
My first run I went with Infiltrator. It's generally a sniping class but the cloak makes it a lot more fun. You can flank or get behind the enemies and one shot them while they panic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Sydin posted:

I really enjoyed my Adept run-through in me3 recently. I took Reave as my bonus power so that I always had a primer or detonator available and just went to town. It plays VERY different from Vanguard.

But, why not give Infiltrator a go? It's great fun in both games and you said you wanted something different

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Infiltrator is my preferred class, especially with the valiant in ME3. I like the whole Ghost aspect and the time slowdown helps at precise shots. Real sad that never returned in Andromeda.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Sydin posted:

Adept is pretty lackluster in ME2 IMO, but is fun in 3. Never as good (busted) as it was in ME1, though.
Engineer starts boring in ME1 but it's good in 2 and great in 3. Sentinel is in the same boat, though I never actually played it in 3 so :shrug:
Infiltrator is fun all the way but can be kind of one-note unless you want to get gimmicky (shotgun cloak strats, for example). The fix to make offspec weapons usable in ME1 kinda neuters the main strength of the class in that game, though.

I'd probably recommend Engineer, because anything Adept can do can be duplicated by at least one member of your squad. Nobody else gets the Engineer's gun turret, and Tali's drone is a lot worse than Shepard's because it has a way longer cooldown IIRC.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Of the MP guns in LE, I'm really enjoying the Executioner pistol as an engineer. It's the perfect tool for deleting shielded enemies after I overload them, and turns out it has enough native armor penetration to one-shot guardians right through their riot shield.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sounds like engineer or infiltrator then, thanks! Adept might also be cool but I spend all my time as Vanguard spamming biotics, something different would be neat.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cythereal posted:

Of the MP guns in LE, I'm really enjoying the Executioner pistol as an engineer. It's the perfect tool for deleting shielded enemies after I overload them, and turns out it has enough native armor penetration to one-shot guardians right through their riot shield.

Yeah after I found out how strong that thing is I stopped carrying other weapons on my engineer. I love that pistol. Aim down sights, overload, pop. Anything Cerberus throws at you short of an Atlas is dead after that.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Infiltrator is probably the most different in terms of play style from Vanguard and a solid choice through all three games. Especially in 1 it's basically the highlights of the engineer skillset plus more useful combat capability.

Sentinel is pretty fun throughout all three and always has a lot of versatility.

Engineer is pretty meh in 1 and 2 but is completely bonkers in 3, so that would be the slow burn option.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
You can always change classes between games on the same shepard. Just finished my first playthrough of LE today actually (bar the Citadel DLC that I'll wrap up as an epilogue), went ME1 Adept -> ME2&3 Vanguard. If you care about justifying the change "in universe" it can either be a Lazarus project tweak or Shepherd studying extra hard during Alliance lockdown.

Going to start an ME1 soldier run to unlock the AR bonus talent (shotgun and sniper too) in case I feel like bringing any of those guns along on future playthroughs of ME1 (singularity bonus talent for fun), then transition to infiltrator for 2 and 3. I've already figured out how to finesse the suicide mission this time to lose the four characters I don't care for in ME3 and have everyone else live.

Legendary Ptarmigan fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 18, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Going to start an ME1 soldier run to unlock the AR bonus talent (shotgun and sniper too) in case I feel like bringing any of those guns along on future playthroughs of ME1 (singularity bonus talent for fun), then transition to infiltrator for 2 and 3. I've already figured out how to finesse the suicide mission this time to lose the four characters I don't care for in ME3 and have everyone else live.

You actually get all the weapon bonus talents in LE after completing the game on any character. No need to make a throwaway soldier any more.

On the flip side the weapon skills aren't required for the weapons to be effectively usable any more; the talent gives you bonus damage and the active skill associated with them, but it's entirely feasible to use weapons without having the skill.

Conversely, singularity is barrels of fun as a bonus talent for any class.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I suspect I may be alone in this, but for ~roleplaying~ reasons I won't give a non biotic Shepard a biotic bonus power.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Helith posted:

I suspect I may be alone in this, but for ~roleplaying~ reasons I won't give a non biotic Shepard a biotic bonus power.

My justification is if you can get a gun that shoots black holes, an Engineer Shep can tweak their omnitool to do the same thing.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just role-playing Shepard as The Worst Biotic who could only learn one power.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
you have biotics as a non biotic because the possible future Shepard Jupiter brain wills it so.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

In 1 Engineer is also the only character besides Kaiden to get Neural Shock right? I forgot about that until I remembered I needed the trophy.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I've already figured out how to finesse the suicide mission this time to lose the four characters I don't care for in ME3 and have everyone else live.

Which ones are you letting die and how?

I'm currently planning out a renegade run which I haven't done for ages and I'm not sure how to handle 2 except for selling Legion to Cerberus and opening Grunts tank and getting him loyal. Thane will also be loyal and live because I'll need him in 3 to keep Ashley alive in the coup as Kirrahe will likely be dead in 1.

Helith fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jun 18, 2021

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I've always found Infiltrator to be slightly irritating to play in ME3 on higher difficulties because of the shield gate. If I put a Widow bullet in a guy's head, I expect him to die. OTOH, you can do some neat stuff with the faster and weaker snipers, it's just... stealing the one-shot-one-kill ability from the sniper class is mean.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

bio347 posted:

I've always found Infiltrator to be slightly irritating to play in ME3 on higher difficulties because of the shield gate. If I put a Widow bullet in a guy's head, I expect him to die. OTOH, you can do some neat stuff with the faster and weaker snipers, it's just... stealing the one-shot-one-kill ability from the sniper class is mean.

I remember hating the new opaque smoke texture as an infiltrator

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012

bobjr posted:

In 1 Engineer is also the only character besides Kaiden to get Neural Shock right? I forgot about that until I remembered I needed the trophy.

Sentinel gets Neural Shock as well, I believe.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hellbore posted:

Sentinel gets Neural Shock as well, I believe.

Correct
The only truly unique Talents in 1 are Singularity, Hacking, and, uhh.... Assault Rifles.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
In the roulette wheel of "who's an rear end in a top hat today" in Andromeda, we land on Gil Brodie! Gil, you poo poo. You might be right about upgrading the ship but don't do it alone without authorization or informing anyone else and stop being so completely dreadful to the emotional needs of your pilot. Really trying to gun for Liam's crown as most insubordinately stupid crewmember.

On the other hand, Addison, insanely bad intro aside, seems to be smoothing out alright if you give her a chance but I don't blame a single person for dropping her instantly with how atrocious that intro conversation was.

in conclusion, MEA is a land of contrasts... all of which are added by me with Ansel.

e: about non-Vanguard classes in the trilogy, I suggest not sentinel (it works, it's just boring) and otherwise all of them have something going for them. Even Soldier has conc shot, and that's hilarious when you can spam it after you get enough CD reduction in.

Kurieg posted:

i managed to strip one mech to health, used lift on it, Garrus *immediately* landed a headshot and it nuked the other mech for us.

scoped and dropped :sicknasty:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 18, 2021

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'm probably as big of an Andromeda defender as you'll find, and even I think Gil is kind of a disaster of a character. Thankfully he's particularly easy to ignore, though I do feel bad for anyone interested in a gay male romance that he was the one they got stuck with.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Psion posted:

e: about non-Vanguard classes in the trilogy, I suggest not sentinel (it works, it's just boring) and otherwise all of them have something going for them. Even Soldier has conc shot, and that's hilarious when you can spam it after you get enough CD reduction in.

One of the youtubers I watch is doing a 100% achievement run of mass effect, and he's using MELE for ME3. To get the 1000+ kill count achievement you're theoretically meant to amass across all 3 games, he spent around 4-5 hours using conc shot amplified with inferno ammo to kill cannibals and Husks at the spot where the game tries to tutorialize cover, they won't stop spawning until you do.

It's just a hilarous string of fire explosions on top of fire explosions until he timeskips.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

ShakeZula posted:

I'm probably as big of an Andromeda defender as you'll find, and even I think Gil is kind of a disaster of a character. Thankfully he's particularly easy to ignore, though I do feel bad for anyone interested in a gay male romance that he was the one they got stuck with.

I guess all the therapists to handle the enormous mental trauma of going to sleep and in zero subjective minutes waking back up 600 years later with everything and everyone you know being dead to you were, uh, on that DLC ark that never got made. Because the entire Initiative sure needs them.

like when someone might look back fondly on the ME2 engineer whose two character traits were "I joined Cerberus because I'm an idiot" and "I want to sexually harass my coworker" it's bad times for Brodie.

my kingdom for Adams. He just got his poo poo done, wasn't a space racist, and that's it!

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 18, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've never played ME2 before and i'm a bit after the collector ship and I've done all the loyalty missions. I just did Liara's Shadow Broker mission and it was by far the best mission in the game so far, I thought it was just rad. I can't believe they added a goofy car chase sequence in there and the payoff of her little base is very cool.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The two biggest groups of people who signed up for Andromeda are "I want to explore new things and not have to follow any dumb rules" and "I'm a criminal but the walls were closing in on me and I had a free ticket out" so it makes sense most Andromeda colonists are disasters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've never played ME2 before and i'm a bit after the collector ship and I've done all the loyalty missions. I just did Liara's Shadow Broker mission and it was by far the best mission in the game so far, I thought it was just rad. I can't believe they added a goofy car chase sequence in there and the payoff of her little base is very cool.

"What kind of weapons does this thing have."
"It's a CAB, it has a fare meter."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the idea of your other squad member having to stay behind because apparently the other one likes to put their feet up in the backseat :allears:

I really wish I'd brought Grunt and Jack to that mission so I could make Jack stay behind while Grunt squeezes his giant body into the car :laugh:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Kurieg posted:

"What kind of weapons does this thing have."
"It's a CAB, it has a fare meter."
Some people complain about that sequence, but I love it just for the banter, especially FemShep. You can tell Hale is just having a great time. Favorite is still when you're waiting for the door hacker to work. "Please don't give the mercs ideas" "remember when you could just slap omnigel on everything?" and "you just had to give them tactical advice."

Jerusalem posted:

I love the idea of your other squad member having to stay behind because apparently the other one likes to put their feet up in the backseat :allears:

I really wish I'd brought Grunt and Jack to that mission so I could make Jack stay behind while Grunt squeezes his giant body into the car :laugh:
"Just get a cab back to the ship. What? No, I'm not paying for it!"

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kurieg posted:

One of the youtubers I watch is doing a 100% achievement run of mass effect, and he's using MELE for ME3. To get the 1000+ kill count achievement you're theoretically meant to amass across all 3 games, he spent around 4-5 hours using conc shot amplified with inferno ammo to kill cannibals and Husks at the spot where the game tries to tutorialize cover, they won't stop spawning until you do.

It's just a hilarous string of fire explosions on top of fire explosions until he timeskips.

That seems excessive mostly because I'm pretty sure my kill count was already at about 1300 by the end of ME1

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I really hate that they railroad you into yelling at Joker after Thessia.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Pops Mgee posted:

I really hate that they railroad you into yelling at Joker after Thessia.

I’d be pissed too if I just got outsmarted by some anime dork.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SubponticatePoster posted:

"Just get a cab back to the ship. What? No, I'm not paying for it!"

Jack: Jesus Christ, Shepard you might have noticed I don't have much space for pockets on this outfit. Do my loving loyalty mission! :argh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Seemlar posted:

That seems excessive mostly because I'm pretty sure my kill count was already at about 1300 by the end of ME1

They're importing their vanilla ME2 save into MELE3 so they don't have any kills from the previous two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So I'm doing the Citadel DLC and the only way I can get the next batch of email invites to appear is to do a mission in between them. It used to be you could do the meet-ups, go out into the strip and when you went back to the apartment the next lot of emails would be there. Anyone else having this?
Luckily I still have all the Leviathan missions to do so I'm using those to trigger them but if I was doing Citadel right at the end I'd be in trouble. Going to have to make sure I leave a mission after Horizon to get both of Miranda's scenes.