Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Arrrthritis posted:

Bold of us to assume that Bioware would do the smart thing, rather than doubling down on their terrible ending yet again.

They will actually triple down and have half the next game take place in Andromeda.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any explicit or author-based source saying we shouldn't take starkid at face value? While it obviously makes sense for starkid to be lying (or trying to manipulate you), I got the impression the game was playing it totally straight.

No. But when endings are as bad as Mass Effect 3's ending it just invites the audience to make up whatever they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any explicit or author-based source saying we shouldn't take starkid at face value? While it obviously makes sense for starkid to be lying (or trying to manipulate you), I got the impression the game was playing it totally straight.

Unless you start delving into the meta belief that the cutscenes are delusions brought on by indocrintation? No. The game and said cutscenes show that starkid is telling the truth.

Which is really just extra lazy storytelling.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

kilus aof posted:

They will actually triple down and have half the next game take place in Andromeda.

No. But when endings are as bad as Mass Effect 3's ending it just invites the audience to make up whatever they want.

yeah like I read the Starkid as lying because his whole deal is stupid

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Just bumped into Javik interacting with James, telling him a Prothean 'joke' that was all just made up bullshit.

Man, Javik is the best companion. Even if it's not really hinted at by the game, my headcannon will always be that the Protheans were actually a pretty benevolent race, and most of what Javik tells you is either stuff that was colored by the fact that he was born 100 years into an apocalyptic war or just stuff he made up/exaggerated for the sake of loving with you.

He is basically renegade Commander Shepard in NPC form, after all.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Blastedhellscape posted:

He is basically renegade Commander Shepard in NPC form, after all.

The ur-Failshep.

"Oh, you lost your entire crew on a mission? Let me know when you're literally the only surviving member of your entire species."

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Blastedhellscape posted:

Man, Javik is the best companion. Even if it's not really hinted at by the game, my headcannon will always be that the Protheans were actually a pretty benevolent race, and most of what Javik tells you is either stuff that was colored by the fact that he was born 100 years into an apocalyptic war or just stuff he made up/exaggerated for the sake of loving with you.

He just happen to know about every pre spaceflight species from his time that made the jump to the galactic stage this current cycle? My take on that was he was full of bullshit and space google on everything except the asari.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey folks, jumping on now to do a few games online.
Come join!

https://discord.gg/cJfUBy8B

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

This run of ME3 is my first full playthrough with Javik, and it's crazy how essential he feels and how much he adds to the whole thing. I accidentally recruited him first and I think it's actually the best way to do it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It is both appropriate and extremely annoying how Liam's loyalty mission is probably the most Mass Effect mission that Andromeda ever gets, and it's for the worst squadmate. But it feels really Mass Effecty in a way most of MEA does not. There's some humor, there's a pretty good level gimmick, the combat pacing feels a lot closer to what I'd expect from ME2/3, even has awful boss one liners!

so, whoever did that mission, congrats, you nailed it even during the chaotic hellscape that was MEA's production.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pattonesque posted:

yeah like I read the Starkid as lying because his whole deal is stupid

The problem is, if the Starkid is lying then the ending is lying and the Entire Extended cut is lying.

Like, that's the problem, it's not "this NPC is lying to me within the context of the game." it's "The game is lying to me through the context of itself."

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Just replayed the whole trilogy and lol if you got through to the end and decided to do anything except destroy the Reapers

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

ShakeZula posted:

This run of ME3 is my first full playthrough with Javik, and it's crazy how essential he feels and how much he adds to the whole thing. I accidentally recruited him first and I think it's actually the best way to do it.

taking him to Thessia should be required.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Big Bidness posted:

taking him to Thessia should be required.

"Holy poo poo, Shep, the beacon must think you're a Prothean after getting all that Prothean info beamed into your brain!"

"Or it could be the actual Prothean standing right next to you."

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

kilus aof posted:

The appropriate time-frame Broware will decide on to gloss over their endings will be in the Andromeda-Milky Way Collision something like 2 billion years from now

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
If your ending is supposed to elicit "lots of speculation" some people are bound to speculate that it's a load of bullshit.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

By the second dream I was like "inky shadows? Whispers? A reaper honk? Okay yeah this is indoctrination" then I remembered all the other writing on 3 and was like no this is actually just a dream.

It would have been very cool if you actually were struggling with the beginnings of indoctrination. I mean it's actually weird you aren't given how much reaper stuff you've been around.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Best Friends posted:

By the second dream I was like "inky shadows? Whispers? A reaper honk? Okay yeah this is indoctrination" then I remembered all the other writing on 3 and was like no this is actually just a dream.

It would have been very cool if you actually were struggling with the beginnings of indoctrination. I mean it's actually weird you aren't given how much reaper stuff you've been around.

We're immune because we have the Blessing of Light.

Wait wrong game.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I did Omega today for the first time, and I thought it was pretty good? Flare with all of Aria's power damage is absolutely bonkers, and entirely deleting a Centurion with one shot is never not hilarious. It makes me want to try a Flare-adept run, tbh. Adjutants were pretty disappointing, although I guess being an adept with Reave versus their defenses that's somewhat to be expected.

With everyone's comments about how you don't really influence Aria, I was not expecting the ending to go as it did at all. If you've paragon'd the gently caress out of her, you don't even have to interrupt for her to not kill the general! and the ending speech with "WE are Omega" is entirely out of character.

Also, I realized that I really enjoy when Mass Effect games do the horror game thing. The husk ship and husk mine in ME1, that empty crazy-VI station and the teetering shipwreck in ME2, the Tuchanka ruins and Adrat-Yakshi monastery and rachni planet (and Omega dark zone) in ME3. They just... pull it off really well, across different variations, every time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The Monastery got me doubly as well, because OF COURSE the first time I saw a Banshee I charged it, with predictable results. It was a great WTF moment.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I just finished Leviathan tonight and while the presentation is really good it's a shame the big reveal about the Reapers is just "dipshit precursors did an oops and created a paperclip maximizer." Also the whole sequence where you can question the Leviathan is kinda awkward because it had to be written in such a way that what the Catalyst is isn't actually revealed to Shepard, because if it was then Shepard's whole approach to the Crucible and the end game would change dramatically. So they just kinda dance around the issue and Shepard doesn't press the topic when, really, they have every incentive to press as hard as they can. Also did Citadel a couple days ago and overall just felt it was kinda meh. It was funny at times but I had hoped it would provide more of a send off to the characters and provide Shepard a chance to have some last heart-to-hearts with them, but instead it was just all the characters showing up to a party to say the funny lines fans remember them saying and then loving off. Like I'm not asking for some dour novel-length dialogue but just as an example it actually would have been nice to sit down to sushi with Joker and reminisce about the poo poo you've been through together, rather than Lieutenant McWacky showing up immediately to kick off the evil clone plot.

Should probably be able to finish the game tomorrow night, going destroy all the way and I'm pretty sure I have enough war score for Shepard to survive. Those Leviathans pack of a hell of a punch, they've almost pushed the alien war score up to match the Alliance.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did one wild party before priority Earth, then reloaded an earlier save to do the chill party after the final mission and just pretended it's happening afterward. Optimal way to finish the game.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I had the most terrible nightmare. It was the middle of the night and I seemed to be on a seedy, rundown subway platform ala The Warriors era New York. Then a massive cloud of unpleasant looking poo poo started rushing towards us from the other end of the platform and I realised the terrible truth: I was in an even shittier than usual Remnant Vault in Andromeda and loving Peebee had started it off without warning me. I died screaming obscenities at those useless Andromeda dorks, then woke up and started work in a fouler mood than usual.

In other news I'm trying to psyche myself up to do the N7 Quarian rescue mission but ugh, the thought of all those varren armoured up to the nines. Maybe if I take Mordin and Zaeed and just have a pyromaniac party...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know some people have argued before it doesn't make sense or underplayed the deadliness of the Reapers etc, and others have argued that it was an important narrative moment where the relentless pessimistic tone of the war had a moment of respite and a small but important victory for moral reasons etc.... but really I just loving love the Kalros bit of ME3 because it's so goddamn cool :hellyeah:

https://i.imgur.com/on17M5n.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CaTd5UZ.mp4

:sicknasty:

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jerusalem posted:

I know some people have argued before it doesn't make sense or underplayed the deadliness of the Reapers etc, and others have argued that it was an important narrative moment where the relentless pessimistic tone of the war had a moment of respite and a small but important victory for moral reasons etc.... but really I just loving love the Kalros bit of ME3 because it's so goddamn cool :hellyeah:

https://i.imgur.com/on17M5n.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CaTd5UZ.mp4

:sicknasty:

Wait do people talk down this scene? It's possible the best part of the game because you essentially summon a kaiju to kill a giant robot. Every video game should have a moment where you summon a kaiju to fight a giant robot.

Also the fight with the brutes leading up to it is great as a vanguard because you have to balance using the brutes as anchor points for your charges to get you to the Maw hammer while avoiding being beaten up by the brutes or stepped on by the reaper.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I love the conversation with Joker and Edi after Tuchanka where Joker jokes about a gun that shoots thresher maws and Edii calculates the feasibility.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Also Noveria is made for a renegade Shep, that was so much fun dunking on and screwing over arseholes. Shep bludgeoned pretty hard alright.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Harbinger was probably so pissed at Shepard after the Thresher Maw stunt.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

kilus aof posted:

He just happen to know about every pre spaceflight species from his time that made the jump to the galactic stage this current cycle? My take on that was he was full of bullshit and space google on everything except the asari.

Imagine you being frozen in a stasis pod, and being woken up in the post apocalypse where mutant animals rule the earth.

"Huh, rabbits are warrior monks now? Weird, they were horny little balls of scared back in my day."

"Wait, now cows are enlightened thought masters who communicate through telepathy? We used to cook them for dinner, and tip them over for fun. Do they still fart like mad?"

"Penguins have a vast trading empire that they hold together through guile and diplomacy, as well as subtle economic threats? Yeah, that makes sense. They were already dressed for it."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Javik being legit surprised the "lizards" evolved when Liara tells him Salarians are also one of the preeminent powers in the galaxy cracked me up. "They used to eat flies."

a pipe smoking dog posted:

It's possible the best part of the game because you essentially summon a kaiju to kill a giant robot. Every video game should have a moment where you summon a kaiju to fight a giant robot.

:agreed:

Also has the scene where Wrex takes a moment to tell Shepard how much he appreciates her

:unsmith:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

My favorite Javik moment is always going to be the paragon path during his citadel chat, where you convince him to not be so doom and gloom at his admirers

"The commander is a capable warrior. For a human. Who once lived in caves."

Jerusalem posted:

:agreed:

Also has the scene where Wrex takes a moment to tell Shepard how much he appreciates her

:unsmith:

Tuchanka really is just the highest point of the series.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Helith posted:

I love the conversation with Joker and Edi after Tuchanka where Joker jokes about a gun that shoots thresher maws and Edii calculates the feasibility.

*EDI stares off into space*
"I'm sorry, Shepard. I was contemplating."

EDI's voice actress really knocks it out of the park in ME3. I love the conversation where she modifies her self-preservation programming to protect the crew over herself.

"Sounds like you found a little humanity, EDI. Is it worth fighting for?"
"To the death."

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Imagine you being frozen in a stasis pod, and being woken up in the post apocalypse where mutant animals rule the earth.

"Huh, rabbits are warrior monks now? Weird, they were horny little balls of scared back in my day."

"Wait, now cows are enlightened thought masters who communicate through telepathy? We used to cook them for dinner, and tip them over for fun. Do they still fart like mad?"

"Penguins have a vast trading empire that they hold together through guile and diplomacy, as well as subtle economic threats? Yeah, that makes sense. They were already dressed for it."

It would take a lot longer than 50k years for cows and rabbits to develop sapience.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

Polaron posted:

EDI's voice actress really knocks it out of the park in ME3. I love the conversation where she modifies her self-preservation programming to protect the crew over herself.

"To the death."

Having finished ME2 the other night I completely forgot about her “I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees” joke. EDI is great

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It would take a lot longer than 50k years for cows and rabbits to develop sapience.

What about penguins, though?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Polaron posted:

"To the death."

I liked her progression. One of the things that I have always enjoyed about Mass Effect is that it never blames the synthetics for the organic/synthetic conflict. Organics are always the ones that try to kill the synthetics first, who come to learn that organics will never let them be, as exemplified by the Geth-Quarian war. In ME1 there's that AI that's attempting to leave the Citadel because it knows organics will immediately try to kill it and upon discovery it attempts to take out some organics with it, which is a curiously organic sort of motivation.

I think this is one of the accidental things they did. The Catalyst talks big about the "inevitable" conflict between organics and synthetics when, in classic Greek fashion, the problem is that organic species really want to kill their creations out of fear of being surpassed. Shepard and Zaal'Koris point out that the Quarians are the ones that hosed up, but this point is largely ignored and never really grappled with. As far as we've seen and heard in the games there's no inherent conflict between organics and synthetics, just unwarranted jealous rage and fear on the part of organics.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
One of the archives in the Citadel DLC makes a similar point, showing some C-SEC officers executing some AIs begging for their lives before their petition to be allowed to stay has even been heard.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There really should be an interrupt where you smash Xen and Garrel's facemasks together and cough.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how Gerrel is surprised the person he almost killed as an afterthought punched him and threw him off their ship after when they managed to live.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bobjr posted:

I like how Gerrel is surprised the person he almost killed as an afterthought punched him and threw him off their ship after when they managed to live.

Even my most polite, team-building Paragoniest of Paragon Sheps takes that Renegade interrupt. Never not punchin' Han'Gerrel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love the 100% done speech Shepard does at the end of Rannoch.
"I've saved you three times already. I'm done saving you. Keelah Selai."