Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

I bought 1 back on the 360 but never made it more than an hour or two in. Just picked up the legendary edition to see if I can like it better this time. Hoping to get hooked and interested this time around. I like space but hope I can overcome old rear end mechanics. If not, is skipping the first one bad? Did they update much besides graphics in the remaster to make it better to play in 2021?

Yeah, it's a lot more fun to play. You can aim with any weapon and they gave a dedicated melee button and that helps so much. There's still some jankiness, but that's really mainly around inventory now. Though the limited sprint still kind of sucks.

If you find that you aren't having much fun, lower the difficulty and then just run through the main quest. It doesn't take much time at all to complete doing it that way, and you can enjoy using biotics and sniper rifles to murder anyone and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's pretty much how I play any games anymore on regards to difficulty. I'm there for the story more or less and get annoyed dying a bunch of times before rage quitting. Ain't got time for that poo poo anymore.

Thanks for the tips.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Suburban Dad posted:

That's pretty much how I play any games anymore on regards to difficulty. I'm there for the story more or less and get annoyed dying a bunch of times before rage quitting. Ain't got time for that poo poo anymore.

Thanks for the tips.

I'm kinda in the same boat on difficulties, tho I like a little challenge. If I die twice to the same fight tho, I am probably done for at least a while

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks for the tips.

The key thing about ME1 is that the core quest is excellent - but the sidequests are bad padding using procedurally generated planets and absurd reuse of art assets (seriously, I think all the side missions that aren't on any of the core planets happen in the same three buildings, the same mine, or the same spaceship). Don't bother going to distant planets for missions that aren't given to you by party members or Admiral Hackett and it will feel a much tighter game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Only about half the sidequests in ME1 are ever acknowledged in the sequels by even so much as an email. However, the Legendary Edition upgrades to the shooting and driving make them feel legitimately good.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Does new ME1 still have the little grenade disks?

There's too much stuff to do in Andromeda. Finished a priority mission and the game drops two new planets, some companion quests and an important plot quest on me at once, and every time I go somewhere ooh there's a strange reading captain...

I still only have one colony and 3x the frozen colonists I started with. I did fix the water on the exiles planet, at least.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I maintain there's a decent to good game in Andromeda, and with a bit more time and more focus it could have been good to great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it took me quite a long time to break my habit of needing to do everything, but like literally every quest besides the priority, shipmate, and terraforming quests can be skipped safely. which is like, 80% of the quests in the game. just a fuckton of busywork

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Does new ME1 still have the little grenade disks?

There's too much stuff to do in Andromeda. Finished a priority mission and the game drops two new planets, some companion quests and an important plot quest on me at once, and every time I go somewhere ooh there's a strange reading captain...

I still only have one colony and 3x the frozen colonists I started with. I did fix the water on the exiles planet, at least.

It does, and you still upgrade them via the grenade "mods" window. ALSO, they are remote grenades so you gotta press the button again to make theme explode faster instead of staring wondering why they have not kaboomed yet :downs:

Also hoarding my max grenade supply for the final boss with max rank grenades showed they were little baby damage compared to "Just shoot them, with your engineer, with the glory of explosive ammo mods." so feel free to throw grenade disks at middle of the road enemies that offend you.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Section Z posted:

It does, and you still upgrade them via the grenade "mods" window. ALSO, they are remote grenades so you gotta press the button again to make theme explode faster instead of staring wondering why they have not kaboomed yet :downs:

I think they also explode if they contact an enemy?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Section Z posted:

Also hoarding my max grenade supply for the final boss with max rank grenades showed they were little baby damage compared to "Just shoot them, with your engineer, with the glory of explosive ammo mods." so feel free to throw grenade disks at middle of the road enemies that offend you.

I found grenades were best used to disrupt enemy formation/cover. Toss it so it lands slightly behind their cover and pop it, even ones that didn't get moved by the blast will react by panicking and breaking cover

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
None of my saves on Eladan load. Really lucky I had one manual save just before landing there. All the autos had overwritten.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bit weird to hit the credits with only one outpost established and not even visiting one of the priority worlds. Some of the dialogue makes it sound like a lot of time passes between main story beats but the gameplay is just "scan 3 nearby things then click and on you go". No attempt to pace it out.

The final battle was nuts because I went the wrong way around and triggered a bunch of spawns early. No enemies left to fight between thing to click 2 and thing to click 3.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
The lack of worlds you can visit and interact with in any meaningful way is a significant issue in the main ME series as well. Like, in ME2, what reason is there really, to not be able to visit Earth or Palaven? You get to visit an Asari settlement and Tuchanka, but why not somewhere like Vancouver or London, or Garrus' home town?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

edogawa rando posted:

The lack of worlds you can visit and interact with in any meaningful way is a significant issue in the main ME series as well. Like, in ME2, what reason is there really, to not be able to visit Earth or Palaven? You get to visit an Asari settlement and Tuchanka, but why not somewhere like Vancouver or London, or Garrus' home town?

There's a whole goddamn galaxy out there and you want to ponce about in Vancouver and London? You're nuts.

Besides, the main focus of the game is a threat against colonies in the Terminus, if anything there was too much time spent in Council space as it was.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

There's a whole goddamn galaxy out there and you want to ponce about in Vancouver and London? You're nuts.

Besides, the main focus of the game is a threat against colonies in the Terminus, if anything there was too much time spent in Council space as it was.

The point is, I don't want to read about these worlds that have settlements, I want to land the Normandy there and see the place for myself.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

edogawa rando posted:

The point is, I don't want to read about these worlds that have settlements, I want to land the Normandy there and see the place for myself.

And do what? Walk around and sightsee?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Going to Earth cities would be lame but seeing a city on Bekenstein or some other major human world would have been cool ngl

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

edogawa rando posted:

I mean, I agree that it would be cool to visit more worlds, but like... at that point in the series, Shepard is affiliated with a terrorist organisation and is on a highly time-sensitive mission to save the galaxy. There's not really much time for taking holiday snaps on Pyjak :v:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ah, gently caress the galaxy, it can wait while I sightsee.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Selecting to land on Earth, port of Manhattan. The map is a painstaking recreation of the actual Manhattan city plan but every building is the same prefab structure. The middle of central park is a 300m high plateau with 60° slopes on each side

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A more open-ended, exploration-focused adventure in this setting would've been nice. Expensive, but nice.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

A more open-ended, exploration-focused adventure in this setting would've been nice. Expensive, but nice.

Maybe some kind of procedurally generated planets so that every game for every person is different.

:edi:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
accidentally triggered bring down the sky for the first mako mission, tooled around trying to figure out the controls, scanned all the incidental stuff, got merked by a missile

ahh, those days without autosaves, that sweet sting of 45 minutes burned

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i'd like some more "compact" games set in ME universe, that would be cool. or at least, like, not "saving the galaxy"-scale

something like GTA: Citadel would be pretty cool too

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mass Effect has shied away from the corporate side of the galaxy since the first one. It's become all nation states, ideological movements and other Undesirables, with the corporations devolved to simply being a bit of fluff on weapons and armour descriptions.

But in Andromeda we are expected to sympathise with people selling clean water to the desperate, and refusing to share their filter blueprints, so I dread to think what a new game with a focus on Binary Helix, Kassa Fabrication or any of the big mining companies would look like.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

edogawa rando posted:

Ah, gently caress the galaxy, it can wait while I sightsee.

Sorry to say this but I think you might be indoctrinated. How do you feel about putting people onto giant spikes?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

WonkyBob posted:

How do you feel about putting people onto giant spikes?
We'll bang, ok?

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist
Just finished ME3 again and one thing I didn't really notice the first time around is how nobody really talks about what's going on in the Citadel in the final mission.

Like, did the reapers just kill everyone there when they moved it? Is everyone inside the closed shell just wondering wtf is happening?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't think there is any dialogue from anyone about what happened there.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I just assumed everyone's dead after waking up in the murdered corpse hallway

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think, based on the game itself, the only reasonable conclusion is that everyone is dead.

That said, wasn't there was some damage control tweet saying that the rest of the citadel was fine, somehow?

AnxiousApatosaurus
Sep 2, 2004

Stylist

DaysBefore posted:

I just assumed everyone's dead after waking up in the murdered corpse hallway

I guess I just assumed those were all the dead humans from Earth they were beaming up to make the new reaper.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Snake Maze posted:

I think, based on the game itself, the only reasonable conclusion is that everyone is dead.

That said, wasn't there was some damage control tweet saying that the rest of the citadel was fine, somehow?

lol there was also a damage control tweet about the Normandy crash landing where they were like "maybe it landed on Earth???" when the planet had two moons

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I could swear there were turian and volus corpses in the hallways of death, and Anderson talks about seeing more. it was clearly the population of the citadel being harvested, and while they can claim it wasn't everyone, it was definitely a holocaust they were portraying

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Good thing I gave medicine/blueprints/fossils to those doctors/technicians/geneticists I eavesdropped on, so I could watch them all get turned into ground chuck in the last 10 minutes

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you look at the skybox in the last area, there's still traffic above the wards, so who fuckin' knows.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

FutonForensic posted:

Good thing I gave medicine/blueprints/fossils to those doctors/technicians/geneticists I eavesdropped on, so I could watch them all get turned into ground chuck in the last 10 minutes

I like this take. Mine is always "Look. I'm out here saving the GALAXY. I don't have time to find your Holy Artifact or whatever..."

But yours is good too.

"Complete fuckin waste of time. Time I could have spent, I dunno - doing Crucible something something actually stopping Cerberus/Reapers but noooo I had to go get your dumb thing"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It’s weird enough alone that the citadel wasn’t priority 1 for the Reapers.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

bobjr posted:

It’s weird enough alone that the citadel wasn’t priority 1 for the Reapers.

I feel like if they blew straight to the Citadel they'd take some actual Reaper ship casualties (more than if they just took it slow) and the Reapers do not want to take those kind of casualties if they can avoid it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

Snake Maze posted:

Pretty sure that was Jessica Merizan doing all the damage control. She also said at one point that it was not a glitch that EDI exited the Normandy at the end in the Destroy ending.