Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FoolyCharged posted:

I'm just trying to figure out if it's funnier hearing mario drop these lines in my head or have the actual harbinger voice dropped in over mario kart.
IT'S-A ME-A, HARBINGER-A

I KNOW-A YOU FEEL-A THIS

WAHOOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

I'm agonizing over if its better to have Shep on the Mako and Garrus on the Normandy but I can't think of anything better so I approve :hmmyes:

Ryder on top of the Tempest but the voicing is Kallo getting more and more irate that you won't get off the hull

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

HI I’M GRUNT

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

bobjr posted:

HI I’M GRUNT

Grunt should be driving a stolen C-Sec car obviously. That is on fire.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Grunt should be driving a stolen C-Sec car obviously. That is on fire.

YES

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Wrex is my only real friend. Why does the OG Mass Effect cast suck so much?

I can't wait to get my boy Mordin again.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mordin should be driving a thing with EVE around

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

and god is on your side
dividing sparrows from the nightingales
Zaeed on a barely functioning ancient shuttle held together with duct tape

Aria on some neon hell craft

Blasto just floating there vibing

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

If it's not limited to party members TIM should be zooming around in a leather recliner leaving behind his vape cloud.

Wolfsheim posted:

Aria on her couch

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Khalisah al-Jilani riding around in a hospital bed

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Alexander Hamilton posted:

I played the Overlord DLC for the first time and lmao that the Andromeda apparently played through that and said, "Yes, this is the experience we want to expand to a full game."

Also, I thought that when people referred to the autism stuff it was like a metaphor for something but, uh, nope. Literally says, "His autistic mind can communicate with the geth!" Yikes!

I thought it was one line, but they say it like 10 times. He can't refer to his brother without the phrase "his autistic mind."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Conrad Verner riding a copy of the bootleg Shepard VI

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Andromeda companion rankings:

1 - Jaal
2 - Cora
3 - Drack
4 - Peebee somehow
5 - Liam
6 - Vetra

Vetra is the worst because she's entirely unobjectionable, charming even, but doesn't offer anything interesting in combat and if you cut her out of the story no one would notice she was gone. If she wasn't The Turian she would have been a non-combat character. It's a pretty poor selection and really only Jaal and Cora feel any more significant to the narrative than the Gil vs Salarian Pilot grudge.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

mA posted:

One thing that I wish there was a bit of in the in-game ME lore iare the technical abilities of the weaponry of different species. What kinds of technical differences are there in the armament of Human ships versus Turians, Asari, etc.? Also, other than being huge, what makes Reaper vessels so formidable? What about their armor makes them so resistant to conventional arms? What makes their weapons so powerful that they can decimate flagships in one shot?

There's a little bit in one of the codexes that mentions the salarians use ultraviolet defense lasers (which hit harder and have better range but burn out faster and are more expensive) instead of the infrared of other races.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

sassassin posted:

1 - Jaal
2 - Cora
3 - Drack
4 - Peebee somehow
5 - Liam
6 - Vetra

Vetra is the worst because she's entirely unobjectionable, charming even, but doesn't offer anything interesting in combat and if you cut her out of the story no one would notice she was gone. If she wasn't The Turian she would have been a non-combat character. It's a pretty poor selection and really only Jaal and Cora feel any more significant to the narrative than the Gil vs Salarian Pilot grudge.

idk man Liam leaks the location of the Nexus to randos for poorly-justified reasons and the worst you can say to him about it is "oh, you!" which I think makes him seventh out of six

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Man the 30 level adjustment on the original game really fucks with the difficulty, i havent even got to feros virmire or noveria yet and im already basically The Wrex Delegator

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Zurtilik posted:

Wrex is my only real friend. Why does the OG Mass Effect cast suck so much?

I can't wait to get my boy Mordin again.

You’re crazy. ME1 has tali and kaidan also

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

sassassin posted:

1 - Jaal
2 - Cora
3 - Drack
4 - Peebee somehow
5 - Liam
6 - Vetra

You liked Cora, then? I remember when I first played Andromeda shortly after it came out she had a lot of haters.

I never really understood why. She and Drack are the only party members I still remember fondly. This is still Andromeda we're talking about so she isn't mindblowingly good or anything but I liked her VA and design and general attitude/backstory.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
drack, peebee, vetra, and dr. tperro are actually the coolest. in that order. cora isn't interesting (unless you loving love to hear about hey did you know i was an asari commando??? and remember the manuals) but she has good combat powers.

Jaal is funny because he's not that interesting but the game basically demands you always have him in your party because everyone on the planets you explore knows him or knows of him and gets unique dialogue for it

site fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 18, 2021

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Vetra is pretty unique in that while 99% of Turians go through Military school and follow the caste system they have, Vetra and her sister were denied that opportunity and were ostracized for it, and really had to make things work to just get by.

It's one of the reasons Drack likes her so much, since he says at one point she understands what it's like to have a hard life and rise above it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

NikkolasKing posted:

You liked Cora, then? I remember when I first played Andromeda shortly after it came out she had a lot of haters.

I never really understood why. She and Drack are the only party members I still remember fondly. This is still Andromeda we're talking about so she isn't mindblowingly good or anything but I liked her VA and design and general attitude/backstory.

Cora stands out as a Bioware companion in that she isn't all aboard the Ryder as Pathfinder train right away (Jack a similar case, in a few ways). She carries resentment with her all the way through her arc, even if you're romancing her. In fact the romance conversations can bring it out even more. It adds a lot to the interactions. It's nice that there's another connection to Alec, who otherwise lifts neatly out of the narrative after the first hour or so, one flag collection questline excepted.

Her questline is similarly woven into the central narrative in that the resolution of her personal crisis (which uses Ryder as an explicit point of comparison) accomplishes something significant to the established plot (the rescue of the Asari ark). She's a well-constructed RPG companion character, one silly moment excepted (the "wow she's a biotic" hero moment on Habitat 7, where the writers forget that all Ryders are biotics and a dinky barrier isn't going to impress players of the fourth Mass Effect game).

Drack is just Wrex minus any responsibility putting weight on his shoulders. At odds with his introduction scene he's a simple, genial killer who commits fully on a whim because "you fight good, puny human". The ancient warrior drops effortlessly into a new galaxy with no issues, even his granddaughter being away from the clan on the Nexus provides literally no drama.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I think the reason why Tali and Garrus are remembered fondly really isn't for their arcs in ME1, but for the familiarity factor carrying into ME2. Their characterizations in the first game are pretty one-note, which is true for most of the cast. Tali is a Quarian exposition machine and Garrus just keeps asking you whether he should be a good spacecop or a bad spacecop. Without ME2 evolving their characterization in a satisfying way I think they would fall just as flat as the human companions.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I haven’t played Andromeda since launch on Origin.

Is it any better, and does the Steam version add anything?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

yr new gurlfrand! posted:

I haven’t played Andromeda since launch on Origin.

Is it any better, and does the Steam version add anything?

Without even looking I am confident in saying that the Steam version will be the same as the Origin version. It'll be on the latest patch and there was never any DLC released for the game, so if you own it on Origin there is no point in re-buying unless you just want the game on Steam for some reason.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Can we at least agree that the Tempest is an extremely good boy?

Except for having that silly conference room in the back of a working patrol boat, but they all have that.

It is beaten only by the SR1 for me - SR2 is too bulky and spacious.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
My headcanon is that all the ships' interiors are presented as about 2x as large as they're supposed to be "irl" for gameplay purposes - its really hard to operate a 3rd person camera in a realisticly-sized ship-like environment

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Strategic Tea posted:

Except for having that silly conference room in the back of a working patrol boat, but they all have that.

Nah, it sucks. Big luxury suite for the Important Person in charge. Rest of the crew squeeze into too few bunk beds. Conference room with disguised ramps down. Loadout locker on the opposite side of the ship to the exit ramp. Have to take a ladder to get to medbay unless you go all the way to the slow lift. Slower than utility shuttles piloted by sick old ladies.

Cerberus' Normandy was all flash and luxury as PR. The Tempest is flash and luxury because the Initiative is badly run.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Strategic Tea posted:

I like the tempest except for the goddam window at the back of the garage or whatever area because I always forget its a window and run straight up to it trying to get into the corridor.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sassassin posted:

Have to take a ladder to get to medbay

okay thats a lol from me

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

Bismack Billabongo posted:

You’re crazy. ME1 has tali and kaidan also

Kaiden is Carth Onasi and I've already played KOTOR plenty.

Weirdly though I like Jacob in 2 and he isn't really THAT much different in terms of base character concept. Idk.

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 18, 2021

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
On balance over 3 games Kaidan is the strongest combat companion. He doesn't join you in 2 because it would have made the game too easy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zurtilik posted:

Kaiden is Carth Onasi and I've already played KOTOR plenty.

Except the characters aren't very alike other than having the same voice actor?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

sassassin posted:

Nah, it sucks. Big luxury suite for the Important Person in charge. Rest of the crew squeeze into too few bunk beds. Conference room with disguised ramps down. Loadout locker on the opposite side of the ship to the exit ramp. Have to take a ladder to get to medbay unless you go all the way to the slow lift. Slower than utility shuttles piloted by sick old ladies.

Cerberus' Normandy was all flash and luxury as PR. The Tempest is flash and luxury because the Initiative is badly run.

Also the fact that it has no guns, and can't even get any slapped on because the recoil would shatter the giant loving windows.

Windows are a structural weakness.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

sassassin posted:

Drack is just Wrex minus any responsibility putting weight on his shoulders. At odds with his introduction scene he's a simple, genial killer who commits fully on a whim because "you fight good, puny human". The ancient warrior drops effortlessly into a new galaxy with no issues, even his granddaughter being away from the clan on the Nexus provides literally no drama.

Drack was the soul of the crew constantly reminding you not to take the easy way and that forging relationships instead of bulldozing your way through people to get what you want, as well as bringing back the splinter groups who left before you were thawed out, is how you as the Pathfinder will make the initiative last.

Also quite a bit of his story specifically relates to how, as someone old enough to have seen the original rebellion and their treatment afterwards, and then coming to a new galaxy to see the same thing repeated, he is the strongest and most vocal advocate in the initiative for bringing the krogan back into the fold as equal partners

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fuzz posted:

Except the characters aren't very alike other than having the same voice actor?

What you don't remember the time when kaiden was your only party member and said "woah there you just picked an evil option, we're not doing that."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

site posted:

Drack was the soul of the crew constantly reminding you not to take the easy way and that forging relationships instead of bulldozing your way through people to get what you want, as well as bringing back the splinter groups who left before you were thawed out, is how you as the Pathfinder will make the initiative last.

Also quite a bit of his story specifically relates to how, as someone old enough to have seen the original rebellion and their treatment afterwards, and then coming to a new galaxy to see the same thing repeated, he is the strongest and most vocal advocate in the initiative for bringing the krogan back into the fold as equal partners

I didn't see much of that I assume because I chose not to save "his scouts" (he's never shown to have any command role so not sure who exactly they were supposed to be). When you first meet him he's anti-Initiative and wants nothing to do with you or it until he sees you shoot some kett, then he's all aboard the Ryder express. "That fight was fun, we can do it again".

He comes across as just a nice old dude everyone is on good terms with wherever you go. A few gags about how he's soo old, with some bland battlefield "wisdom" sprinkled on top. Top three ain't bad but he's a really safe character.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

FoolyCharged posted:

What you don't remember the time when kaiden was your only party member and said "woah there you just picked an evil option, we're not doing that."
Carth gets a lot of flak, and understandably so, but I'll always defend him at least a little bit because he's the only one in your entourage when, upon discovering that Juhani's master basically set her up to fall and be redeemed again, goes "blimey that's right hosed that is".

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I think the reason why Tali and Garrus are remembered fondly really isn't for their arcs in ME1, but for the familiarity factor carrying into ME2. Their characterizations in the first game are pretty one-note, which is true for most of the cast. Tali is a Quarian exposition machine and Garrus just keeps asking you whether he should be a good spacecop or a bad spacecop. Without ME2 evolving their characterization in a satisfying way I think they would fall just as flat as the human companions.

Ash Sroka and Brandon Keener I think deserve a lot of credit for Tali and Garrus too. They both have super unique voices and do a good job giving life to their characters. Also when I replayed the first game, Tali is a lot funnier and more badass than I remembered.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Codependent Poster posted:

Ash Sroka and Brandon Keener I think deserve a lot of credit for Tali and Garrus too. They both have super unique voices and do a good job giving life to their characters. Also when I replayed the first game, Tali is a lot funnier and more badass than I remembered.
My first playthrough as an Engineer, I was actually mildly jealous of Tali because her Gameplay was vastly different than her lore.

"We have to rescue the quarian."
*Tali causes an explosion when she realizes she is being played*
"...Okay, everyone pretend she needed our help."

"Remember, Tali keeps talking about how one tiny scratch will kill her with a turbo infection. Make sure she stays out of trouble-"
*Tali rushes in to murder people with a shotgun and mega shields while Wrex is bleeding out on the ground*
"...Okay is this a prank? Is 'fragile quarians' a prank people are playing on me?"

On the other hand, even though she gets an increasingly badass reputation in 2 and 3 and shield refilling energy drain power, I just can't manage to keep her from dying :saddowns:

Legendary edition lets you be good with shotguns no matter what you play so that certainly helps you a hell of a lot. Though it can also gloss over one of the big reasons she stood out compared to a regular engineer in the base game. In hindsight, this makes me wonder how much LE gunplay changes are helping Kaiden. Considering ME1 sentinel has no weapon skills and just kind of glues a few pistol bonuses onto the class passive.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I like the idea of TIM going "bring him back exactly as he was, but if you wanna make him look like an assclown have fun".