Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rynoto posted:

It's especially funny as ME1 cerberus missions were just a bunch of really boring sidequests that all looked the same. The plotline with the Geth finding shepard instead would have been so much more fun.

Absolutely. It just mangled the plot to have Cerberus be a big thing that you HAD to work with and people kind of just accepted as well, and it got handwaved so many times. But then a ton of the ME2 plot is handwaving and threading water before 3. As much as I like playing 2, the plot really went in some less than ideal directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

hobbesmaster posted:

In the intro to ME2 the council assigned you to investigating the Geth. They didn’t ignore it and probably thought they were assigning their best person for the task. Of course you and your crew think it’s bullshit because they actually had a chat with sovereign.

“My money’s on slavers.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, after ME1, nobody believed Shepard about the Reapers and just assumed that the Geth had a really big warship. But then the Council just decided to let it be a one-off and not only ignore Shepard's explanation about the coming Reapers, but also ignore their own explanation about how the Geth just launched the biggest attack on the Citadel in history, and they didn't try waging a war or anything in response.

That's weird.

hobbesmaster posted:

In the intro to ME2 the council assigned you to investigating the Geth. They didn’t ignore it and probably thought they were assigning their best person for the task. Of course you and your crew think it’s bullshit because they actually had a chat with sovereign.

The Citadel DLC really throws the Council under the bus in that regard as you go through the Citadel archives hunting CloneShep. You come across a holo that's introduced with "Attack on the Citadel by the geth warship Sovereign". And then the projector recognizes Shepard's Spectre status and is like "Declassifying... Attack on the Citadel by the Reaper, Sovereign." And everyone in the party is like "You loving assholes, you knew the whole time."

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It's highly likely the Asari councillor knew immediately what was happening as presumably she had had access to the Thessia archives and all the information on the reapers.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Sydin posted:

They kinda tried to do a thing in ME2 where oh hey it turns out the career military guy you appointed because he was nicer to you than the guy who actually knows how council politics work ends up marginalized by the rest of the council and has turned to heavy drinking because he hates his new gig. It doesn't by itself justify giving Udina the gig instead but it does add a nice layer of nuance to the whole situation.

That said it sucked Udina just turned out to be a one dimensional villain in ME3 because ME1 did a lot more to paint him as just a career diplomat with lofty personal career ambitions who can thus only see Eden Prime as a colossal fuckup by some Alliance meatheads, and his frustrations with Anderson and Shepard make a lot of sense in that context. He could have been an interesting overarching foil to Shepard and the Alliance who always reframes all the crazy action hear poo poo Shepard does in the context of how it helps or hurts humanity's political standing.

yeah I really liked Udina as a character, they did a good job writing him so that you're never completely sure where his genuine belief in humanity ends and his personal ambitions begin. he fights hard for you in ME1 before you become an obvious political liability. I liked how when you're reintroduced to him in ME3 the first thing you see is him trying to get troops to Earth and there's no real tension between him and Shep because they're both doing their best for humanity in their own way. So of course he turns out to be an idiot villain for the game's dumbest subplot because "heh, politicians amirite?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Rynoto posted:

It's highly likely the Asari councillor knew immediately what was happening as presumably she had had access to the Thessia archives and all the information on the reapers.

And like I said earlier, the Salarian councilor would have sic'd STG on it and had a mountain of concrete evidence on his desk by the end of the week.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rinkles posted:

:allears: these were good games

:hai:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The Omega DLC is seen by many as a mixed bag, but its overall design and pacing should've been how sections like the Prologue, The Coup, and Thessia were metered out. You have your action packed intro mission, another mission where you run around and do a random but narratively important task while figuring out the lay of the land storywise, and then you have the final level that resolves that part of the narrative.

Letting those three parts of the game breathe would better fix a lot of ME3's narrative issues than an ending redo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

nine-gear crow posted:

And like I said earlier, the Salarian councilor would have sic'd STG on it and had a mountain of concrete evidence on his desk by the end of the week.

The Council knew since ME1, they were just in deep denial.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It always seemed to me like the Council's approach was something along the lines of, "okay, yeah, that was an omnicidal machine god from dark space. But we killed it, and it was probably just one. What are the chances another one is going to show up? Telling everyone what actually happened will just create unnecessary panic. Think of the effect on the economy! We can just say it was the geth and forget about it."

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Gato posted:

yeah I really liked Udina as a character, they did a good job writing him so that you're never completely sure where his genuine belief in humanity ends and his personal ambitions begin. he fights hard for you in ME1 before you become an obvious political liability. I liked how when you're reintroduced to him in ME3 the first thing you see is him trying to get troops to Earth and there's no real tension between him and Shep because they're both doing their best for humanity in their own way. So of course he turns out to be an idiot villain for the game's dumbest subplot because "heh, politicians amirite?"

Like a lot of "evil" Bioware characters there is a good idea but then the implementation is less than one dimensional. Udina the ruthless diplomat with ambiguity as to whether he's helping himself and vanity benefits or helping humanity and he benefits is s great character concept. Udina should have been an option as the renegade mentorish figure the way Anderson is more of a paragon mentor figure.

I think it would have helped develop the character if ME1 had a conversation where Udina talks about being part of the negotiations that gave Anderson his shot at being a Specter. Then from Udina's perspective Anderson hosed over the Alliance because he should have known Saren would betray him and been ready for it. Followed up by Udina warning Shepard the Nihul would have done the same to her and that she shouldn't let her recklessness and naivety gently caress this up for the alliance the way Anderson did.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean even before the pandemic, with global warming and all, it was not that absurd to me that the Council, despite having overwhelming evidence, might choose to deliberately deny and ignore a obvious existential threat. After the last year, I daresay the Council's adamant refusal to accept the reality of the Reapers is probably the part of ME that has aged the best.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I always assumed that Udina sold out to Cerberus immediately after the Council meeting where the other three essentially told Earth to drop dead.

He's not wrong that the Council is a bunch of stubborn jackasses.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Council's attitude towards Reapers is basically the US response to Covid

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
New Texas just repealed the mandate requiring all civilians maintain at least 6 feet of distancing from dragon's teeth and other Reaper artifacts.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Mordin's recruitment mission definitely gonna hit different in 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

New Texas just repealed the mandate requiring all civilians maintain at least 6 feet of distancing from dragon's teeth and other Reaper artifacts.

Dragon's teeth are a hoax sheeple! *I yell as I purposefully husk myself to own the space-libs*

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Moola posted:

Dragon's teeth are a hoax sheeple! *I yell as I purposefully husk myself to own the space-libs*

"LOL it's just a flu, bro!" I cackle as Harbinger possesses my frail mortal shell, using me to hurt Shepard.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
bill gates, after I get my second vaccine shot: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

bill gates, after I get my second vaccine shot: ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL

:laffo:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Inoculation Theory

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The freakin' - the freakin' asari are putting spaceship engines next to our colonies turnin' the god drat kids into biotics! A growing mind gets one whiff of a mass effect field, next thing you know, they want to move to the Citadel and study Salarian Art History!

The Illusive Man: (smoking cigarette, on his fifth hour of alt-right cable news today) Hm. Seems possible. I'll tell Kai Leng to organise a strike team.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
TIM: Shepard. (drag.) I've been reviewing intelligence reports. (sip) There are reports that the Quarian Migrant Fleet are heading towards earth, and as I'm sure you know, that means trouble.

Shepard: What sort of trouble?

TIM: (drag) The Quarians are scavengers and vagabonds. They strip planets bare of resources and technology, leaving behind starving populations and rampant disease. (drag) I need you to take your team and stop them.

Shepard: I'll go investigate, but I'm not going to hassle an innocent people just looking for resources to sustain themselves.

TIM: (sip) You'll find out for yourself. (turns around to holographic displays, turns up volume.)

Holographic display: TUCKER CARLSON EXPOSES THE TRUTH BEHIND THE QUARIAN INVASION FLEET!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Miranda walks into Illusive Man Virtual Office

"Sir, it's bad."
"Nonsense, Miranda. Yoomanity has never seen such a successful campaign. I hear the approval ratings for Cerberus are 90, 95, in some cases even over 100 percent."
"Not that, sir. I'm afraid... you're no longer allowed to broadcast on Ilium."

Miranda talks to the press

"Well, that's a great question, unfortunately it's a question for The Illusive Man's daughter, and I'm here today as the Cerberus press secretary, mkay"

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I don't know, The Illusive Man seems more like Dick Chaney instead of a populist MAGA type.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Thats a pretty good comparison.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

c'mon

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I, uh, I can hear a faint piano theme lookin at that picture

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The Asari keep sending Samara to cancel people

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cancel... with extreme prejudice

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I did lol that Spender is immediately suspected as a corrupt official in Andromeda.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Quote-Unquote posted:

I did lol that Spender is immediately suspected as a corrupt official in Andromeda.

If you read “Nexus Uprising” you’ll find that Spender is the only true villain in the entire story. I liked that book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe I was just dumb and read all the lore dumps wrong, which seems odd because I really was into ME1, but I always was baffled at how Cerberus went from being a rogue splinter of the Alliance's military intelligence that was basically Cobra - at best - who had plans and schemes that all hosed up even without the player intervening, to actually being the motherfucking Illuminati.

Like they're just D-Tier Cobra in ME1, but in ME2 they're suddenly the Illuminati. It's wild.
Like why didn't they use the Shadow Broker? He was already established as serving more or less the role TIM kind of does, and he doesn't have the baggage of being a space racist so it's not as insulting to the player's agency to have the player indebted to them and working for them a bit.

Like it's just such a bizarre and unnecessary retcon.

i always assumed cerberus was way bigger than you see in ME1. its just split into cells and TIM has enough money to toss around that he can keep like 500 of them running space nazi poo poo going all at once and if a bunch fail then call them rogue and cut them lose. by 3 they have enough power from recruits or indoctronated that they have a standing army.

Boogle posted:

I don't know, The Illusive Man seems more like Dick Chaney instead of a populist MAGA type.

yeah. TIM is the type of right wing ghoul who plays the super awful beliefs close to the vest when dealing with folks like shepard and he takes a longer view on his hosed up beliefs than chud type villainy. so more of a cheny or a roberts than a trump or a miller.

Sydin posted:

It's also a plotpoint that TIL bends over backwards to present Cerberus in the best possible light to Shepard, including making sure the worst stuff like the biotic experiments on Jack or studying how soldiers respond to being torn apart by thresher maws look like they were done by rogue cells rather than under his orders.

exactly.

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks
Minor aside here in case we have any vinyl fans -

Spacelab9 is doing a repress of the Mass Effect trilogy 4x LP. Should go up for pre-sale in about 20 minutes
https://spacelab9.com/

e: image too big. One sec. Fixed..?
Yar. Fixed. kudos to u/mynickismyown on reddit for the image grab

DourCricket fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 4, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

DourCricket posted:

Minor aside here in case we have any vinyl fans -

Spacelab9 is doing a repress of the Mass Effect trilogy 4x LP. Should go up for pre-sale in about 20 minutes
https://spacelab9.com/

e: image too big. One sec. Fixed..?
Yar. Fixed. kudos to u/mynickismyown on reddit for the image grab

If I collected vinyl, I would be super into that. Pretty cool!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm most of the way through an me2 playthrough, and holy poo poo hale nails it with the conversation at the end of overlord. Absolutely fantastic cold fury.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

omfg lotsb is so goddamned loving good

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm most of the way through an me2 playthrough, and holy poo poo hale nails it with the conversation at the end of overlord. Absolutely fantastic cold fury.

Looking forward to finally doing a FemShep run. I liked Meer as MaleShep well enough but there were some instances where he just sounded dorky, this conversation being one of them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Psycho Mantits posted:

Looking forward to finally doing a FemShep run. I liked Meer as MaleShep well enough but there were some instances where he just sounded dorky, this conversation being one of them.

Yes, but I'll throw in a cheer for the way Meer says GRISSOM ACADEMY. He pretty much snarls it.

Wait, no he doesn't. Huh. I remember that completely differently.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Mar 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

omfg lotsb is so goddamned loving good

it’s the best