Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Buschmaki posted:

I like how in Jade Empire if you try romancing dawn star and the silk fox and put off choosing one of them until the end they become homies and both dump you

only if you pick the wrong answer. you can get both of them if you play it right. your thinking of witcher 3.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Mass Effect 1 has super awkward writing around the romances. Like even compared to other Bioware games.

yeah. i feel like they were always mixed bags but i liked the romances in inquesition and the latter mass effects outside andromeda though the vetra one was cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

It was a nice bed, too.

Triss never... ohhhhh

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I appreciate that they included a dialogue chain where you can make Geralt be intentionally thick about the whole bed situation, and if you're dumb enough to keep pushing Yen eventually just ends the conversation by teleporting Geralt into the nearby lake.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

yeah Andromeda is too draining

played again recently and lasted a lot longer than last time I played, doing almost 100% of Eos/Havarl but then more and more poo poo opens up with a thousand more tasks to do and its just too much, the limited slots for skills suck rear end regarding build variety, I much prefer classes having more "identity" like in previous games. Crafting is very meh, menus are poo poo and mining sucks rear end (they already solved crafting in Dragon Age 2 so I dont understand why Bioware didnt just copy it)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

frajaq posted:

played again recently and lasted a lot longer than last time I played, doing almost 100% of Eos/Havarl but then more and more poo poo opens up with a thousand more tasks to do and its just too much, the limited slots for skills suck rear end regarding build variety, I much prefer classes having more "identity" like in previous games. Crafting is very meh, menus are poo poo and mining sucks rear end (they already solved crafting in Dragon Age 2 so I dont understand why Bioware didnt just copy it)

my issue with the quests are your never really sure which will actually lead to something interesting/progress the story OR just gently caress all. DA:I has the same issue where most of the quests including companion poo poo are big dumb goose chases. the remenant core for the fay sounding krogan for example. it just keeps going and going and going and you see the twist a mile away but it keeps going until it ends in fart and choice. also the combat isnt that great. like its not bad but its boring and its missing alot of the little florushes and poo poo that made 2 and 3 solid.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 20, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frajaq posted:

Build variety seemed like a waste.

I guess there was some potential for great synergies between complementary classes but I found maxing the infiltrator path worked perfectly fine. Hotswapping as an idea just made it seem like nothing really mattered and everything was pretty much the same.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Is andromeda as bland as outer worlds? Or like is it worth the money if you want some mass effect before may?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zombiepop posted:

Is andromeda as bland as outer worlds? Or like is it worth the money if you want some mass effect before may?

They're both bland for different reasons but Andromeda is better.

I know people are gonna yell at me for saying that but it's my opinion :colbert:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think you can easily get the game for 5 bucks and if you go in with adjusted expectations it’s worth playing if you want to scratch that itch while you wait.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Like, the intro and first two planets are fine, kinda great even. There's spectacle (especially since they did that big patch that added better cut scenes) and there's mass effect stuff going on and it's legit

Then, as the poster above me noted, after Havarl the game loses all momentum and focus and becomes "what if ubisoft but worse"

But at least it won't make you constantly roll your eyes and or fall asleep. Outer Worlds is just a joyless husk of good ideas

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Hmm It 10$ on steam right now so I might just go for it tomorrow.

As long as its more of an experience than outer worlds, joyless is definitly the word to describe that game.

Edit: ohh there is a double pack with DA:I Didnt play that one either since DA2 was so terrible. Choices Choices.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 21, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
DA:I is a better Mass Effect game than Andromeda

Seriously

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Eh its 17 bucks instead of 60 or whatever which feels like a good deal, like I will probably get my moneys worth from one of them atleast. But keep em coming, I prefer to read goon opinions on games rather than watching some dude on Youtube or whatever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
DAI is a million times better than MEA

MEA is better than Outer Worlds by a good margin

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

DA:I is a better Mass Effect game than Andromeda

Seriously

DAI would've been a good game if it was as long as a Mass Effect. As it stands, its an 80 hour game with 40 hours of content.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I found that going back and just playing ME1 again was a far better way to get more Mass Effect before May, and then by the time I got done with Therum I thought, actually it'll be really nice to have a fresh playthrough done for comparison's sake, so I've decided I'm even smarter.

Don't play Andromeda unless you really really want to, kids.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I though about going back but I very rarely play a game twice, original dragon age and me2 is like maybe the only ones in my adult life. Im a very casual gamer like that. And its only two months to may so thats a no go for me.

DA:I looks p nice, for that price I can just wait until next winter to play it and get all cozy in. 80 hours... thats a lot of hours. I can already see that I wont finish it.

Zombiepop fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 21, 2021

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I would replay andromeda if it let me kill off all my squadmates

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Crustashio posted:

I would replay andromeda if it let me kill off all my squadmates

:stare: Grandpa Drak rules wtf

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Being better than outer worlds isn't much of a compliment

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Oh man I picked up outer worlds on steam sale mostly because the screenshots looked up my alley. Now I'm thinking I won't try to squeeze it in before may.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Oh man I picked up outer worlds on steam sale mostly because the screenshots looked up my alley. Now I'm thinking I won't try to squeeze it in before may.

Maybe get a refund and wait for it to be 75% off.

The marketing and trailers are pretty deceptive as to the actual depth of the game. It's not Fallout New Vegas in Space its a fun time ray gun whoopsiedo you'd expect from a eurojank dev for a full price of $30.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Outer Worlds is just bland and soulless at every level. Everything from the visuals, to the guns, to the character progression, to the quests feels like they went with the most boring implementation possible while still being technically competent. Also the politics of the game are poo poo, but that might be forgivable if the game were at all interesting in other ways.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This thread reminded me how much I loved mass effect, which kinda highlights the shame to me how much it shat the bed past 2, and how nothing has really been able to hit the same high since then.

There's been a ton of games since 2 with far better writing, but the game had a sorta low commitment campy charm that hasn't really been matched.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Mass effect 1 is fun just cause of all the jank. It’s also the only game where soldier is actually good. All the classes have a way to break the game eventually but soldier lets you snap it in half like a twig.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Mass Effect 3 is fine. In fact I’d say it’s good.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've come to prefer adept for the lift throw wombo combo tailor made for launching Geth off of the Citadel tower.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Doctor Nutt posted:

I've come to prefer adept for the lift throw wombo combo tailor made for launching Geth off of the Citadel tower.

I love singularity in 1, and if there's one thing Andromeda did well it's make Singularity feel good to use again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WrightOfWay posted:

Outer Worlds is just bland and soulless at every level. Everything from the visuals, to the guns, to the character progression, to the quests feels like they went with the most boring implementation possible while still being technically competent. Also the politics of the game are poo poo, but that might be forgivable if the game were at all interesting in other ways.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais summed up Outer Worlds perfectly in that as a New Vegas fan it did everything he expected it to do, and that was the problem because what made New Vegas so incredible was how much it threw him for a loop at every turn.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Sydin posted:

Noah Caldwell-Gervais summed up Outer Worlds perfectly in that as a New Vegas fan it did everything he expected it to do, and that was the problem because what made New Vegas so incredible was how much it threw him for a loop at every turn.

Outer Worlds was cargo cult New Vegas like MEA was cargo cult ME original trilogy

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Kurieg posted:

I love singularity in 1, and if there's one thing Andromeda did well it's make Singularity feel good to use again.

Any future Mass Effect game that doesn't have Andromeda's version of Pull-Throw is instantly a failure

Also funnily enough what helped bring back Singularity as good was not including Warp since that had superseded it in utility in pretty much any circumstance

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pattonesque posted:

Outer Worlds was cargo cult New Vegas like MEA was cargo cult ME original trilogy

Outer Worlds at least functioned properly, ME:A was a Fallout 76 level glitch fest on launch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

nah. outer worlds is flawed on a million levels and also pulls every possible punch but i had way more fun with that derivative stuff with it than "lets drive the dune buggy across a planet for 2 hours doing fetch quests while the writers desperatly hope you like this quip". also yeah DA:I kicks the poo poo out of both though i sorta hate its quest system is loving awful. way way to much filler much like ME:A. etc

Sydin posted:

this. i loved cyberpunk 2077 and it has the same issues compared to the witcher 3.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

A talking coyote posted:

It’s also the only game where soldier is actually good.

Soldier was amazing in all of them lol what are you talking about

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Vagabong posted:

This thread reminded me how much I loved mass effect, which kinda highlights the shame to me how much it shat the bed past 2, and how nothing has really been able to hit the same high since then.

There's been a ton of games since 2 with far better writing, but the game had a sorta low commitment campy charm that hasn't really been matched.

i liked parts of 3s writing but the whole game felt like big self jerking send off to the series, some of the parts were cool and good and i think cintadel makes the game but yeah i think it peaked at 2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

frajaq posted:

Soldier was amazing in all of them lol what are you talking about

Yeah I didn't really enjoy soldier in 1 tbh but when they added bullet time in 2 it was extremely my poo poo, especially combined with the mattock. CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK CHUNK

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I was surprised Soldier was the most picked class because it's usually the most boring.

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

Soldier was bad in 2 and 3 because it wasn’t vanguard.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Sydin posted:

Outer Worlds at least functioned properly, ME:A was a Fallout 76 level glitch fest on launch.

??? On which platform? I experienced no noticeable glitches on PS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Seemlar posted:

Any future Mass Effect game that doesn't have Andromeda's version of Pull-Throw is instantly a failure

Also funnily enough what helped bring back Singularity as good was not including Warp since that had superseded it in utility in pretty much any circumstance

Warp's utility was split across lance and throw. And Pull got the shield piercing ability of Lash.