Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

i mean

they weren't wrong

1stGear fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blastedhellscape posted:

Games that let you do a full 'evil playthrough' and accommodate you becoming the villain of the story can be fun, but I don't think Mass Effect is one of them. If you only choose renegade options 100% of the time you end up with this dissonance where everyone around you is constantly calling you a hero, all while you're acting like an erratic psychopath.

Fallout: New Vegas is the game I remember evil playthroughs working best in, since you can just decide from the beginning "My character is a self-serving mercenary/assassin" and the game never says or does anything to contradict that. I remember The Temple of Elemental Evil with a neutral evil party being fun too. Games that start out with more of a murder-hobo vibe than a save-the-world narrative.

Yeah, it's funny because I think in ME2 and 3 they actually nail the whole paragon/renegade thing a lot better so that it doesn't feel as jarring to play a renegade Shep, but I always remember that even before ME 1 release they were talking about how they were working on making sure it wasn't just good/bad because you were the hero either way, and welp.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

1stGear posted:

i mean

they weren't wrong

it was in a number of conversations for sure!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sydin posted:

Not gonna lie even in full paragon runs when Shepard runs into Conrad up to his same loving poo poo again in ME2, despite all the work Shepard put in during the first game to dissuade him, I put a bullet in his foot.

Hale is usually better but Meer absolutely nails "Conrad, let me make this perfectly clear... this is not acceptable."

I guess that’s appropriate since the save file is bugged to have that choice always made. Or technically both flags are checked and the renegade one is higher priority. Just lol that was never fixed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Or that you can play 100% light side exemplar and flip to The Most Evil Motherfucker Ever with literally one dialog choice at the end of the game.

Don’t you also have to kill half your party after that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

I guess that’s appropriate since the save file is bugged to have that choice always made. Or technically both flags are checked and the renegade one is higher priority. Just lol that was never fixed.

I actually wonder if they're bothering with fixing it for the remaster. Because you can fix it yourself on PC but iirc he still references it in ME3.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Is the re-release going to fix things like the Conrad bug?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Nutt posted:

I actually wonder if they're bothering with fixing it for the remaster. Because you can fix it yourself on PC but iirc he still references it in ME3.

He does specifically talk about that bug in 3 (in a “I guess I was confused” kind of way) so good question. Kind of a triple whammy since a dedicated player will have encountered the bug in ME2, fixed it with a file editor to see the correct scene in ME2, then gone to ME3 with the knowledge of both. If you never encountered the bug in 2 the lines in 3 will make even less sense.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sydin posted:

Weirder than how quickly humanity built the planet up is that such a prime potential colony candidate so close to the Citadel hadn't already been snapped up in the millennia prior to humanity showing up to the table.

I thought humanity actually opened up some new sectors of the galaxy before the turians came along to declare war on humans for not adhering to a treaty they'd never heard of. So humans got to grab a couple worlds before the Council gave them a bunch of crap worlds in easy raiding range of the Batarians and later the Geth.

It's kinda hard to separate the quality of life in the Mass Effect universe from all the war. The turians got their place on the council as the muscle with their universal conscription, and it seems pretty common for people to go off and join mercenary bands for smaller scale conflicts and criminal activity. Krogan have a hard time getting jobs as anything other than mercs. Asari have problems with corporations and horrible government secrets, internal Salarian society is some kind of feudal thing with intrigue between clans, Vorcha are literally vermin, and Quarians have everything going against them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Don’t you also have to kill half your party after that.

Close to it. Jolee and Mission die regardless because the game forces you to kill them if you go evil. I think Zalbaar is like 50/50 depending on whether you can mind trick him into killing Mission for you, and I think if you pass the check he’ll stick with you. Carth runs away like a little bitch and you never see him again.

T3-M3 doesn’t give a gently caress because he’s a droid, while HK-47’s all “Oh THERE you are, master. I’m happy to see you’ve gotten off your weird morality bender. Welcome back, sir.” Canderous is like “I’m loyal to you no matter what because I’m the Warrior Race Guy... but the evil’s kind of a bonus.” And of course Bastila is rider or die as well because she’s the one who gives the “Go evil? Y/N” choice to begin with.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's kinda hard to separate the quality of life in the Mass Effect universe from all the war. The turians got their place on the council as the muscle with their universal conscription, and it seems pretty common for people to go off and join mercenary bands for smaller scale conflicts and criminal activity. Krogan have a hard time getting jobs as anything other than mercs. Asari have problems with corporations and horrible government secrets, internal Salarian society is some kind of feudal thing with intrigue between clans, Vorcha are literally vermin, and Quarians have everything going against them.
The volus are keeping the galactic economy together via sheer force of will it feels like, no wonder they're pissed at not getting a Council seat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

He does specifically talk about that bug in 3 (in a “I guess I was confused” kind of way) so good question. Kind of a triple whammy since a dedicated player will have encountered the bug in ME2, fixed it with a file editor to see the correct scene in ME2, then gone to ME3 with the knowledge of both. If you never encountered the bug in 2 the lines in 3 will make even less sense.

8one6 posted:

Is the re-release going to fix things like the Conrad bug?

Yeah, this is what I was talking about. I don't think the stuff in ME3 was super jarring when I played with the fix so they could probably just fix the flag and leave it at that, but :shrug:

I'm actually planning on going into the remaster with a fresh trilogy playthrough recently completed and a media blackout on specific changes once reviews start coming out because I think it will be fun trying to spot things they tweaked beyond the obvious mechanical changes they're implementing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The volus are keeping the galactic economy together via sheer force of will it feels like, no wonder they're pissed at not getting a Council seat.

The Council really should have been a 5-way Asari-Salarian-Turian-Volus-Human gig. Less chance of things getting deadlocked or railroaded and the volus are the ultimate galactic swing vote so anyone could successfully lobby them onto their side. Even Udina could do it, and he's a loving rear end in a top hat :buddy:

E: Thanks to ME3 overriding your choice and putting Udina on the Council anyway, I always reluctantly pick Udina from now on in ME2 when asked and just go "I don't know, who gives a gently caress" to the choice that's not counted at the end of ME1 because picking Udina there just kind of ruins the vibe of the ending.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Mar 2, 2021

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

nine-gear crow posted:

E: Thanks to ME3 overriding your choice and putting Udina on the Council anyway, I always reluctantly pick Udina from now on in ME2 when asked and just go "I don't know, who gives a gently caress" to the choice that's not counted at the end of ME1 because picking Udina there just kind of ruins the vibe of the ending.

I go with that choice because why the gently caress are you asking me how is being good at shooting at Cthulhu-bots relevant to galactic politics

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s part of Star Wars though.

The only problem is how dumb it is if you’re dark side by the time you become a Jedi and they let you do it anyway?

[Lie] I swear to follow the path of the light, masters.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's going to be hilarious when we find out that the only changes to the re-release are some up-res'ed textures, a couple of new models, and the removal of the butt-cam from ME2.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

8one6 posted:

It's going to be hilarious when we find out that the only changes to the re-release are some up-res'ed textures, a couple of new models, and the removal of the butt-cam from ME2.

They replaced the Illusive Man’s cigarette with a vape.

Shepard *vapes volcano dragon cloud*, a rogue cerberus splinter cell has cornered the market on pineapple vape juice. You know what to do.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 2, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

denimgorilla posted:

Shepard *vapes volcano dragon cloud*, a rogue cerberus splinter cell has cornered the market on pineapple vape juice. You know what to do.

The Diffusive Man

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

The Diffusive Man

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

nine-gear crow posted:

The Diffusive Man

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

denimgorilla posted:

Paragon interrupt; “Sick vape cloud, bro.”
Renegade interrupt: pulls out a torpedo sized cigar.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rinkles posted:

You made me check

(I tend to give media outlets the benefit of the doubt when it comes to reviews)

i mean its not wrong, just not in the way they thought.

Doctor Nutt posted:

Playing through ME1 a lot of the renegade choices are Shepard just executing the gently caress out of NPCs who no longer pose a threat and it feels super gross tbh.

yeah, some renagade options are amusingly hosed up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhz4CA7eMk

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
drat, that’s messed up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Living on the Citadel would be pretty great, up until the point where it morphs into a nightmare charnelhouse that uses your pulped body to fuel the projects of machine gods from before pre-history. If nothing else, that would probably tank the resale value of your apartment.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Android Blues posted:

Living on the Citadel would be pretty great, up until the point where it morphs into a nightmare charnelhouse that uses your pulped body to fuel the projects of machine gods from before pre-history. If nothing else, that would probably tank the resale value of your apartment.

i mean, id have carnifex against under my chin the second the husks broke through my door to my gross rear end citadel apartment thats covered in fornax posters and video game wall art.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think the real clincher of "wouldn't it be dope to live in the Mass Effect universe" is that, inevitably, at some point, you'd have to reckon with the events of Mass Effect 3 and the fact that the entire galaxy becomes an ongoing apocalypse wherein your body is a commodity desired by the machine devil.

Before that, though, yeah it would totally be dope if you got lucky. Circa the Mass Effect 1 lore at least, medical technology is extremely advanced, humans routinely live for 150 years or so, most diseases are gone, average quality of life is high...unless you're in the developing world and then it's still effectively 1998.

quote:

The homeworld and capital of humanity is entering a new golden age. The resource wealth of a dozen settled colonies and a hundred industrial outposts flows back to Earth, fueling great works of industry, commerce, and art. The great cities are greening as arcology skyscrapers and telecommuting allow more efficient use of land.

Earth is still divided among nation-states, though all are affiliated beneath the overarching banner of the Systems Alliance. While every human enjoys a longer and better life than ever, the gap between rich and poor widens daily. Advanced nations have eliminated most genetic disease and pollution. Less fortunate regions have not progressed beyond 20th century technology and are often smog-choked, overpopulated slums.

Sea levels have risen two meters in the last 200 years, and violent weather is common due to environmental damage inflicted during the late 21st century. The past few decades, however, have seen significant improvement due to recent technological advances.

Earthborn Shepard is canonically from one of those smog-choked, overpopulated slums iirc, and shipped on board with the Alliance for a chance at a better life. So even in this future "golden age", there's a chance you're born on Earth in a nation state that doesn't have space travel and the only way out is to join Space Navy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Something unique to the Mass Effect setting is that humanity has really only been a player on the galactic stage for the last 50 years or so, and when you consider how fast they've been able to expand their role in that short time it's easy to see why a lot of the other civilizations are resentful of them. On the doomsday clock that is the 50,000 year reaper cycle humans show up at literally the last second.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I always enjoy the whatif of suppose the Ilos scientists failed and the reapers harvested the galaxy during earth's iron age. Wtf would humans do as likely the first species to get interstellar travel when the ruins of the previous cycle are still a few centuries fresh.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Something unique to the Mass Effect setting is that humanity has really only been a player on the galactic stage for the last 50 years or so, and when you consider how fast they've been able to expand their role in that short time it's easy to see why a lot of the other civilizations are resentful of them. On the doomsday clock that is the 50,000 year reaper cycle humans show up at literally the last second.

Yeah, if you go full Renegade in ME1, the Alliance effectively performs a coup and completely vindicates that wariness. You barely hear about the all-human council in ME2, and they've been ousted by ME3, but the fact that Udina and Shepard are able to exile all non-humans from the seat of government in the ME1 ending is pretty bonkers by itself.

In ME2 as well, if you let the Council die, there are some Renegade options that have Shepard boasting about the Alliance's military might and how Citadel space is reliant on humans to protect it. It's never really in focus because it's such a niche option, but essentially that version of the Alliance performed a military coup.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Soylent Pudding posted:

I always enjoy the whatif of suppose the Ilos scientists failed and the reapers harvested the galaxy during earth's iron age. Wtf would humans do as likely the first species to get interstellar travel when the ruins of the previous cycle are still a few centuries fresh.

IIRC they always leave someone like Sovereign behind to wake up periodically and monitor the galaxy just in case some species is closeish to the reaping threshold, to make sure they don’t get 49,000 years of tech development before the next cycle

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Seemlar posted:

They did Emily Wong dirty by killing her off between games instead of letting her have the role IGN lady took

The leaks indicated that Wong had an entire level that was cut from the game, where you'd help her and Al-Janahi investigate the refugee situation on the citadel.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, some renagade options are amusingly hosed up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXhz4CA7eMk

Lol

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

nine-gear crow posted:

Close to it. Jolee and Mission die regardless because the game forces you to kill them if you go evil. I think Zalbaar is like 50/50 depending on whether you can mind trick him into killing Mission for you, and I think if you pass the check he’ll stick with you. Carth runs away like a little bitch and you never see him again.

T3-M3 doesn’t give a gently caress because he’s a droid, while HK-47’s all “Oh THERE you are, master. I’m happy to see you’ve gotten off your weird morality bender. Welcome back, sir.” Canderous is like “I’m loyal to you no matter what because I’m the Warrior Race Guy... but the evil’s kind of a bonus.” And of course Bastila is rider or die as well because she’s the one who gives the “Go evil? Y/N” choice to begin with.

If you take Zalbaar with you into the Star Forge he breaks free of the mind trick and is horrified that you made him kill Mission and attacks in a rage.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I still feel there should be a renegade interrupt to kill the daughter so Samara doesn't have to shoot herself.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The best part is Kaidan trying to comfort Samara's daughter and then Shepard instantly barging in with YOU MUST BE EXECUTED.

Something missing from these Renegade options is the moment where your squadmates go, "Shepard, what the gently caress?!" or "Oh, Christ!" after you do something insanely murderous. Some of them really merit it!

DourCricket
Jan 15, 2021

Thanks Coupleofkooks

Soylent Pudding posted:

I still feel there should be a renegade interrupt to kill the daughter so Samara doesn't have to shoot herself.

I almost never do the Paragon interrupt there. It feels like a cop-out to a brutal but honest ending to her character arc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Android Blues posted:

You barely hear about the all-human council in ME2

I'm pretty sure that's not what happens when you kill the Council, because then there would be no reason for the new Council to ghost you.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not what happens when you kill the Council, because then there would be no reason for the new Council to ghost you.

It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wb-ZLB1PcA&t=245s

IIRC they just get replaced offscreen between games and are barely acknowledged in Mass Effect 2.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's pretty clear that Bioware realized it would be a massive amount of work to actually write for there being a Human only council in ME3 since there are story beats for each of the three original council members, so it just got retconned offscreen between games to "yeah those guys got deposed, here's the new council which is three suspiciously similar substitutes to the originals."

Which, eh. It would have added a ton of dev time to the game for a path that I think they said only 8-9% of players even took? Not surprised they found that hard to justify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
how would a human only council even work, like cmon even if the Citadel fleet gets completely eradicated the turians/asari/salarians are still huge powers