Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
My big disappointment with the Shepard clone was that it was not the opposite gender Shepard. I think even for a DLC that was already extremely meta it was a missed opportunity to have a bit of fun and play Mark Meer and Jennifer Hale off each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

It's hosed up that Harbinger only shows up for ten seconds at the end of ME3 and he doesn't even taunt you for old times' sake.

I know this hurts you.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Is it possible to do a ME2 suicide run where only Shepard survives? If so what happens in ME3 if literally no one is around. A part of me wants to do a maximum fuckup / fatality run to see what happens but another part of me things that would be way too bleak.

I think you need to have at least 2 crewmates survive for Shepard to live.

A trilogy failshep run with the most deaths and worst quest outcomes is a great experience. Very cathartic. I wrote one up a few years ago in an old ME3 thread that I thought was the most optimum failshep. I've forgotten the details now but the basic strategy is to have anyone you romance die, have a bit of restraint in the suicide mission and save a few characters to die in ME3 (Tali, Wrex, Jack, Kasumi and Morinth) because their deaths or cameos in ME3 work better there and you have to have someone to kill in that game too.

And Zaeed has to live.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

All Asari have Lift.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I used to get a giant Illusive man peering out of the level geometry in the final baby reaper room back in the day.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

It's a fair assumption that slow boating it from dark space put the Reapers at a disadvantage because they could not fill up on Mass Effects or human-goo or whatever they use for energy. Which would give added meaning to Shepards twarting them in the previous two games and why they would fixate on her.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Someone made a tool to generate custom images from the offical generator.

https://masseffectcovergenerator.netlify.app/
Unfortunately not the full size ones.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I saved a post from way earlier in the thread regarding having the worst outcomes for all characters, might give people some more ideas:

"someone posted posted:

someone posted:

Thinking on it more the bleakest outcome likely requires keeping more alive so they can die with maximum impact in 3.

Save Wrex on Vermire then sabotage the genophage.
Kill Morden to sabotage the genophage.

Get Tali exiled in 2 and then side with the Geth in 3.

Leave Kirrahe to die on Vermire, and let Thane die in 2 so the Salarian counselor does.

Let Samara survive the suicide mission, let her kill herself, then shoot the ardat yakshi anyway.

Kill the Vermire survivor on the citadel.

Skip Grissom so Jack gets abducted.

I can't decide if it's worse to have Miranda die on the suicide run or get merced by Kai Weeb on Sanctuary.

Save the Rachni queen in 1 then murder her after the reapers enslave her.

Have Liara and Vega did during the run to the citadel. Choose destroy to kill EDI. This also destroyed the Get after you sacrificed the Quarians to save them.

I wrote a trillogy failure Shep run up in one of the original ME3 threads from 8-9 years ago. If someone had archives I'll love to see it again as I was quite proud of the sequence. A lot of that run above was like mine.

Some items from the top of my head from that run.
ME1
Background, Sole Survivor, colonist.
Romance either Kaiden or Ashley as preferred but leave them to die on Virmire.
Don't Recruit Garrus.
Recruit Liara last. (Depending on your perspective of the character)
Kill the Rachni queen so you can spare the evil rachni queen in 3.
Betray Parasini on Noveria.
Don't save the council, send Anderson to the air traffic control instead of the ambassadors office and side with Udina for the council position.

ME2
Betray Samara, Finish up the game by doing the "romance" with Morinth.
Spare Jack, Tali, Kasumi, Zaeed, Mordin, Grunt. All disloyal if possible except Zaeed.
Send Legion to Cerberus. Give the base to the illusive man.

ME3
Romance Allers, Zaeed lives but everyone else dies in their side missions.
Encourage Joker and Edi into their romance.
Take control or synthesis as your ending choice.

And some metagame stuff for true Failure Sheps runs.
Play with your least preferred Shepard voice.
Actually talk to Joker outside of the two times the game requires it.
Don't spend skill points or upgrade weapons.
Don't take any Renegage interupts in 2 (Because they all own in 2). Take all the renegage interupts in 3 (because they all suck in 3).
Don't play Lair of the Shadowbroker or Citadel.
Only go on missions with the characters you dislike the most.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 29, 2021

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I just remember Arrival feeling the lowest budget/effort of all the DLC.

It very much foreshadowed the tone and style of ME3.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

It does'nt feel like they fixed any bugs outside of performance issues. There are quest bugs present in the original games that I still got in the remasters. Eg the hanar on the presidium still has the issue with the C-Sec officer vanishing.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

It was nice to be able to run through these games again. It was the first completionist run I've made since before the original ME3 release so I had forgotten about all the ME2 side missions.

Some screen shots

This horrible mutant appears if you flag every possible living romantic interest as active in a save editor.

Photo mode really needed to allow Shep to change pose. Best I could get was forcing Shep into a falling animation by pushing against the airlock door in ME1.

Moody Renegade in Ilium

Classic Mass Effect Head twisting

Shep Prime

Glam

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Quadoms.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Strategic Tea posted:

Am I the only one who thought Aria spends the whole DLC emotionally abusing her much cooler turian girlfriend, who then suicides into a bunch of husks to prove herself to Aria? Did I remember that right?

I want an Omega DLC where you come back with Garrus to put down brutal gangster Aria T'Loak :cop:

It's weird. The DLC spends so much time setting up a choice between the two characters and then never gives it to you. Then after all that Aria stays in the Citadel nightclub for reasons so it does'nt even feel like you've made any change on the game world.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

fadam posted:

How long does the Citadel DLC take in ME3? It's the last thing I have to do before going to the point of no return I think.

Do it after the point of no return.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Pops Mgee posted:

Just hit my first dream sequence and that dipshit kid still has one of the worst run animations I've ever seen.

If you run away from the kid enough times the game gives up and moves the scene forward. The kid is just the worst.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Playing an insanity Adept trilogy run at the moment and shutting down the fans, closing the shutters, Captain Jedore and the Praetorian is a sequence of events every bit as intense as doing the suicide mission for the first time. I'm through that hump now so it should be plain sailing from here on out until Reaper IFF's Praetorian. ME2 comes in like a lion and leaves like a lamb in terms of difficulty.

I've only ever done insanity Engineer and Infiltrator so insanity Adept is a bit of a slog in ME2. It was a suprising breeze in ME1 though. I think the Saren/Sovereign fights were the hardest for me there.

For ME2 I'd recommend doing the Normany Crash Site and Kasumi and Zaeed's loyalty missions early so as to unlock the Locust and gain a few extra levels to give you more flexability with powers.

If you want a couple of chessy strats:
Horizon: The two scions at the gun controls can be killed before you enter the room by spamming powers in their direction. This also avoids a wave of husks. For the fight after that, camp out at the left hand side of the arena where there is an elevated area and whittle down the collectors at ease until the Praetorian appears.

The Fans: Go to the fans on the left hand side. Don't turn it on. Go to the other fan and turn it on. On your return trip to the first fan you will face one less ambush from the Vorcha.

Garrus loyalty mission: Bring another character with overload with you. When the double big mechs appear hit them with overload before they are dropped off. Instant kill on both.

Also another bug they never fixed: Mass Effect 2 crashing to desktop when you drag one power on top of another in the command bar mid mission.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Levantine posted:

Sovereign was the best Reaper and no one can change my mind. Less is definitely more and I think ME3 just got too big for its britches.

Sovereign was great. The supreme dickhead Reaper that the others didn't want to spend 50,000 years with.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

So in ME2 if you edit your save game to give yourself a few hundred heavy weapon upgrades and a load of ammo you can turn the cain into a rapid fire nuke launcher by holding down the fire button when you make your first shot. It's pretty sweet if you want to take out the agression after an Insanity adept run.

Using the trilogy save editor change the following:

Research/upgrades ->Heavy Weapon. Set ammo upgrades to a few hundred.
Raw ->Player->Weapons. Find the nukelauncher entry and set Ammo used count to 0.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I think if you keep Maelon's data you will get the opportunity to kill Mordin in 3. I think he will not die if you destroy the data, kill Wrex and side with the Dalatrass while Eve is alive. So you should

-Kill Wrex.
-Keep the data. This keeps Eve alive for a while.
-Side with the Dalatrass and Kill Mordin.
-Skip the bomb disposal mission so Eve dies offscreen after a few missions.

Also spare the Rachni queen in 3 if you killed her in 1 as that is actually the worst outcome of that scenario because she can't be trusted.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I've been thinking about a Failshep run. I think the following would work out well (bad)

ME1
-Romance Kaiden or Ashley, sacrifice them on Virmire
-Spare Wrex on Virmire. You will get a second chance in ME3 to kill him.
-Talk to conrad and do the quests that have call backs in 3 such as the Matriarch writings, elkoss licence, Hostle's data.
-Don't intervene to protect Jenna in Chora's den.
-Kill the Feros colonists.
-Send Anderson to the tower to release the normandy.
-Sacrifice the alliance fleet.
-Betray Gianna on Noveria.
-Kill the queen.
-Collect Liara last and/or do not recruit Garrus. Doing both will prevent Wrex from dying so only pick one if you want to kill Wrex in ME1
-Help Kirrahe's team so he survives.
-Don't invest in Paragon/Renegade points so the worst outcomes occur in side quests.

ME2
Squad and Loyalty
-Side with Morinth
-Destroy Genophage data.
-Send Legion to Cerberus
-All squadmates loyal except for Grunt, Kasumi and Jacob.
-Femshep. Romance either Garrus or Thane.
-Maleshep. Romance Tali for max payoff on Rannoch in ME3.
-Buy fish but don't take Kelly on a date. Fish will die due to neglect.
-Wait too long to rescue the crew. Crew dies.

Omega 4 Relay
-Upgrade armour to save jack
-Take Tali and Kasumi to oculus fight. Thane dies due to weak shields
-Garrus dies due to badly calibrated cannons.

Vent
-Mordin dies in the vent. Team leader does not matter

Long walk
-Loyal Jack is the biotic.
-squad leader Jacob, disloyal and will die. Squad does not matter. *Optional: If you are a femshep romance a loyal Jacob, keep him alive and have him dump you in 3.

Final fight.
-Loyal Miranda and Loyal Jack.

Hold the line
-No one dies (yet)

Surviving into ME3: Zaeed, Morinth, Tali, Miranda, Grunt(disloyal), Jack, Kasumi(disloyal)

ME3
Tuchanka
-Don't do the defuse bomb mission.
-Do Grunt's mission. He will die due to being disloyal. Spare the evil Queen.
-Sabotage cure. Kill Padok. Eve dies recieving the cure because data was destroyed in ME2. Wrex will die when he tracks you down.

Rannoch
-Side with the Geth on Rannoch.
-Tali commits suicide.

Coup
-Kill the virmire surivor.
-Kirrahe will die saving the councilor.

Other characters in ME3
-Kasumi. Will die due to being disloyal on her mission.
-Morinth. Will be a Banshee
-Jack. Don't go to the rescue of Grissom. Will become a phantom.
-Legion. Will appear as an enemy on the Cerberus base.
-Conrad. Most of his quest will progress. When he identifies the Cerberus agent Jenna won't be around to save him. Conrad dies.
-Miranda. Don't warn her abut Kai Leng. She will die on Horizon.
-Zaeed. Lives.
-Begin a romance with Liara.

Ending
-Try and have a low as possible EMS. Bring Liara (romanced) and James to the final battle. Both will die at the very end.
-Choose reject or destroy. Destroy will lead to EDI being killed. Reject will kill everyone else.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 22, 2021

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

bobjr posted:

Stuff like that is why Harbinger being an afterthought in 3 is so disappointing.

They could have at least spiced up some of the combat encounters with the occasional "ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL".

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Her war asset doesn't update to say that she died, so it's pretty reasonable to say she survived.

She does. I just played a game where I did not talk to her in the embassy and she is still hanging around there after the Cerberus attack.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Mass Effect 3 designers loved jumping over small gaps and turrets. The game would be better without either imo.

It is crazy 3 turned out to be as good as it was considering how long they had to make it. I wish they would have finished it in the remaster but oh well.

There are about six turret sections in the game.

On insanity you can still not shoot the turrets in london or the reaper chase on Rannoch and the game will progress as normal.
The turret sections on Thessia and Palavan are a lot more fun if you don't use the turret at all and just use it to practice power combos.

The only one you need to actually shoot is the one where you rescue the Quarian General because the Quarians can't kill the geth fast enough for you before the rocket troopers take you down.

There are also a whole bunch of moments where there is false urgency or pointless Shep has fallen down cinematically moments to build excitement.
Some examples.
You don't need to dash to chase after Eva on Mars, just keep under 40m at the first part and you are okay after that at a light jog. She willl wait for you to catch up at key points.
Fleeing the geth dreadnought does'nt require you to dash to the escape
You don't need to run to the Citadel in the final charge. You won't get targeted and can do it all at a light trot. Last time I did it backwards and got to see the other troops spawn out of nowhere.

But most annoyingly. The end game from Marauder Shields to the starkid. Shep is forced to walk slowly, no dialogue can be skipped and that whole section lasts about 15-20 minutes. If you stop paying attention there might be a renegade prompt to stop the Illusive Man that if you miss puts you back to Marauder Shields.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Sydin posted:

So I guess this is another thing to add to my upcoming dickhead renegade run: how do you make Garrus shoot the Virmire Survivor? Is this when they're guarding Udina? I assume it happens if you fail to talk them down?

Fail the speech check to talk them down and then don't take the renegade prompt to kill them. One of your team will take the shot.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

The pointless turret section in between Shepard saying their heartfelt goodbyes to the allies and crew is simply amazing.

Last time I played I did the run to the Citadel beam walking backwards. Makes no difference (insanity difficulty) except I could see the allied soldiers blinking into existance near me.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I think all would have been forgiven if there was a fifth, secret, dancy party ending.

There was!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

This is what happens when you first install the Reaper IFF.