Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me3's ending isn't the kind that can be tweaked, any fixes would require a total chop-and-replace and no one's going to go that far

no multiplayer is a dire mistake though, there's still a market for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
samara's VA being billie eilish's mom is one of the weirder things i have learned recently

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

1stGear posted:

would you say that morinth is

a bad guy

she seduced me dad

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
garrus was a fun squadmate in ME1 writing-wise but he was horribly flimsy in combat

i said "god dammit garrus" so often in my last playthrough of that game that it should have come with a laugh track

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kai leng is a mess because he's obviously outclassed by shepard and co but the game wants us to take him seriously anyway, so he keeps contriving himself into situations where he can come out on top until his plot armor finally wears off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one of the weirder/sadder side-stories of the Ends are Bad debacle was patrick weekes bitterly explaining the way walters and hudson shut out the rest of the team on a different forum (Penny Arcade i think) and being ratted out by another user there, which led to bioware censuring and muzzling him

just a shitshow all around

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Chocobo posted:

I forgot how much I loved Wrex's voice work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lkEp_D25hc&t=52s

imagine having a voice so rumbly that steve blum is cast to play the fresh-faced baby version of you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think the balancing act in ME3 is especially finicky, because the bad stuff is so bad and so prevalent. not just the ending, but how facile the quarian/geth conflict became, the stupid kid flashbacks, the weird celebrity cameos like that IGN journalist, the reduction of the big final conflict to a silly stats minigame and a few combat arenas. there's a constant feeling of cheap, sloppy implementation that covers ME3 like a film of grease. the gunplay is the series' best by a mile (the multiplayer is proof of that), tuchanka is still a high point and the additional character interaction is mostly solid, but most of the remaining fun stuff is in the DLC's, at least two of which read like an apology for the ending

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think rannoch was a disaster on par with the game's ending because the way the geth were portrayed in ME2 was so good and so unique and it was crushed flat into generic robot-racism on one side and pinocchio syndrome on the other. completely facile

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

In 1, the Geth are unknown and violent. In 2, you find out that there are two factions: the bad Geth and the neutral Geth. In 3, the Geth are all blameless children who never did anything wrong in their life. Every thing they do is only ever in reaction to something else. They took hardware upgrades from the Reapers because the Quarians started a war. Every time they're portrayed by the story, they're always blameless innocents. Literally at one point, despite being artificial intelligences capable of accessing the sum total of knowledge, one Geth in a flashback doesn't understand "why his creator stopped moving."

more than that, the geth in ME2 come off as truly alien in a way that makes the player (and shepard) struggle with how to apply traditional morality to decisions surrounding them. they consist of trillions of runtime processes that download themselves into the scary clanky robots you fight and then bounce back out to the nearest server or satellite bank if those shells become inoperable, constantly talking with each other and growing more sophisticated all the while. legion himself comes across as recognizably sapient because the geth shoved so many of themselves into his shell that they're finally able to boot TalkLikeHuman.exe. remember legion's introduction, when it took the poor guy/guys/geth several minutes of painstaking explanation just to answer the question "who are you," because the geth's concept of sapience is so different from the rest of the galaxy

the difference between "bad" and "neutral" geth isn't seen by legion as a question of morality, but as a simple point of logical ambiguity like whether 2 + 2 = 4 or 1 + 3 = 4, which later spiraled into a wholly different decision-making process and outlook on current affairs. legion is troubled by how that schism between the two factions arose, but if you bring the "bad" faction in line with the others by overwriting their processes, he doesn't view it as brainwashing, just correcting that initial ambiguity. it's one of the few missions where shepard/the player feels like they're playing by a completely different set of moral standards

then ME3 comes along and wipes all that away. the geth were put-upon robot children and the best solution for all of them is to make them "individuals," which ruins the basis of their character from the last game - and pointlessly so, because ME2 never portrayed their original nature as particularly immoral or vulnerable. it was just a failure of imagination compared to the concepts of ME2

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 8, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vagabong posted:

90% of the renegade interrupts were really cool and worth taking even if you were doing a paragon run.

"You're working too hard."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I always just figured that the other races of the galaxy were going to their own Reaper made out of them eventually if the extinction cycle was allowed to roll on unimpeded. Harbinger just got started on the human Reaper early because it was humanity that killed Sovereign and that skyrocketed them up to the central focus of his attention.

it's one species per cycle that makes the cut, and in this case it was humanity because genetic diversity

though as posted above, the datalogs also mention that humans were eerily quick to adapt to the relays and galactic civilization in general so there were probably a few other boxes they ticked

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

"With condescending contempt: Ah yes. 'Reapers'. With condescension beyond mortal ken: We have dismissed those claims."

TheCenturion posted:

Sadly, when the Elcor representative reared back to air-quote :turianass:Reapers:turianass: he fell over and died.

elcor discourse is one part of mass effect discussions that i always loved to see

those guys were great

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

"If you'd told me this morning that a toothbrush was going to save the Normandy, I'd have been very skeptical"

e: ah, gently caress, beaten like Cat 6 troops. That's what I get for leaving the window open.

"my god, that's a prothean over there!"

"and that's a future corpse over there!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
said it before, but the way ME2 legion literally cannot answer the question "who are you" in a way shepard can understand is maybe the closest the series got to portraying a properly alien intelligence

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all three of the endings are unsatisfying because the philosophy behind them contradicts everything in the first two games and most of the third. "organic/synthetic racism" was barely a sidenote in the story until they needed to jump on a new theme in much the same manner one jumps on a live grenade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
jack’s also neat for the barrier because she drops the smarm and becomes a hardcore professional as soon as the mission starts. nice subtle bit of character growth