Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The retrospectives for MEA and Anthem showed that EA’s involved was showing up once a year and asking if they had anything. They didn’t for years. If anything EA should’ve interfered more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

Even that wasn't EA's fault other than as enablers. Bioware actively went to EA and asked for Frostbite back in 2011. EA gave it to them - and gave them support for years. Part of the point of Mass Effect: Inquisition was to learn to use the engine - and EA supported them. EA gave less support teaching them to use Frostbite over time and for Andromeda and Anthem because they had other projects, and because the Inqisition tools were meant to support the rest of Bioware's games and other games were switching to Frostbite.

And this is a big part of how EA kills studios. Westwood also died because they were faffing around rather than making games, EA asked them what they had, and they had nothing.

EA management proclaimed everything was going frostbite eventually so BioWare read between the lines and made the jump. DAI was... ok but MEA clearly wasn’t built on the same foundation

bobjr posted:

Weren't Humans the first species to use things like carriers and some other common military tactic no other race did, which is what helped them not get wiped out immediately by the Turians?

Carriers are dumb in space. They put the nuclear rockets website guy in ME2 so this is a fair criticism

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ME1 did it right in that humans weren’t really superior it’s just that the galactic status quo was so stale and ingrained that anything new would really catch people off guard and throw everything off kilter. This created different opportunities for everyone.

This had been completely abandoned by ME3 and was disappearing fast in ME2.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

OctaMurk posted:

I thought Ryder was actually a pretty good main character in their own right tbh, in some ways better than Shepard. One of the few bright spots of Andromeda

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

While all the memes and gifs are still very funny, female Ryder is actually voiced and acted really well. Male Ryder isn’t bad but seems like a bit of a Boy Scout. Female Ryder has a bit of emotional range and depth and is also a huge geek. She’s one of the highlights of my recent Andromeda run.

Andromeda is the rare game that is less than the sum of its parts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Garrus was also a cop, and his whole ME1 paragon story with Shepard is Shepard telling him he should keep being a cop because playing by the rules is important.

Garrus hated being a cop though, that’s the entire point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Quite a contrast to Oblivion where it's clear they had Stewart and Bean for like an hour each and neither was interested in doing poo poo but going into the booth, flatly reading their lines, and being handed their checks on the way out of the booth.

About that https://www.thegamer.com/elder-scrolls-oblivion-voice-acting-was-so-weird-the-voice-actors-given-lines-alphabetically/

quote:

There's also a picture I have somewhere, like a little behind-the-scenes making of sort of thing, and it's a shot of a script which, I'd probably just come from Kinkos, like three in the morning, to print and put into binders and all this kind of thing. And we didn't have a good way to - at the time, to sort by, ‘These lines go good with this quest; these lines go with this quest.’ But in that picture with that script, if you look at it closely, you'll notice the lines are all alphabetical sorted. It was one of those things I just didn't think of at the time while putting the scripts together.”

quote:

“It's a wonder they didn't lose their minds, because it starts off, it's all ‘A’ sentences and you know, wait until you get to the ‘Hello’s’ and the ‘Hi’s.’ There's pages like, ‘Hi, how are you?’ ‘Hi.’ ‘Hello.’ ‘Hello. ‘Hi.’ ‘How....’ ‘How….’ ‘How….’ You know, all while trying to maintain this character that they're supposed to fight.”

This is at least “charming” Bethesda jankiness.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

From the look of it, basically everyone involved in voice acting for Mass Effect had an absolute blast playing their characters and loved doing what they did for the series.

The lone exception seems to be Marina Sirtis, not because she hated it or anything, but because she literally did not remember voicing Benezia apparently, and there’s video out there of her answering a fan question at a convention and just going “I’m sure it’s important to you, but I don’t remember doing it, and I honestly don’t give a poo poo. Sorry.”

Because Marina Sirtis is awesome.

She had like 10 lines, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sydin posted:

Did they do it this way even for the big name actors who voiced main quest characters like Stewart and Bean, or is this just for the people who were voicing characters that needed to have radiant dialogue? Either way :lol:

quote:

And we didn't have a good way to - at the time, to sort by, ‘These lines go good with this quest; these lines go with this quest.’

They might've done Stewart's and Bean's lines by hand... it would not shock me if they didn't though. Sean Bean actually had a good number of lines didn't he? Stewart basically just had a single monologue to the player.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pentyne posted:

Same with the mom from DA2.

Gave her old lady face and hands, then huge rack female NPC body.

Sadly theres a story explanation for that one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm reminded of the story that the only reason Greg Weisman didn't try to cast Patrick Stewart as a character on Gargoyles along with the rest of the TNG cast was that he was told by the Disney suits at the time that they literally could not afford to hire him.

I’m guessing Gates McFadden didn’t do voice work? she’s the only one other than Stewart missing.

quote:

The voice cast featured several actors who are alumni of the Star Trek franchise, including Marina Sirtis and Jonathan Frakes (respectively, Deanna Troi and William Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation), who were featured regularly as principal cast members. Other Star Trek actors had recurring roles on Gargoyles, including Michael Dorn (Worf on TNG and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine), Kate Mulgrew (Kathryn Janeway on Star Trek: Voyager), Nichelle Nichols (Uhura on Star Trek: The Original Series), and Brent Spiner (Data on TNG); while Avery Brooks (Benjamin Sisko on DS9), Colm Meaney (Miles O'Brien on TNG and DS9), and LeVar Burton (Geordi La Forge on TNG) made guest appearances. Meanwhile, Salli Richardson, who played Elisa Maza on Gargoyles, had a dual guest star role in a second-season episode of DS9.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rynoto posted:

Ashley isn't even a space marine. She's just a dead-end grunt sent out to guard a boring research colony in the rear end-end of nowhere on a colony planet. Probably for being a massive racist.

She literally is a space marine though?

edit : wait I completely forgot the opening of ME 1. You’re right she’s space army, Shepard and Kaiden are space marines.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 18, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TheCenturion posted:

It’s true. The political tension in ME1 comes from the “client” races, which I think are explicitly referred to as such, being mad that humanity is the new girl in school just walking up to the queen bees and being accepted.

Don’t blame humanity for not digging the status quo, yo.

It’s more like humanity walked up to one of the queen bees, got told off, then punched them in the face.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

It doesn't make sense because ME doesn't use actual Marine/Navy ranks correctly. Kaidan technically outranks Shep once he gets promoted. I guess BW wanted to be ~*unique*~ with them.

Weird merged Navy/Army ranks aren't new to military scifi. I blame BSG for ME.

This is from a ME1 codex:

quote:

ENLISTED

Serviceman 3rd Class / Private 2nd Class
Serviceman 2nd Class / Private 1st Class
Serviceman 1st Class / Corporal
NCOs

Service Chief
Gunnery Chief
Operations Chief
OFFICERS

2nd Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Staff Lieutenant
Lieutenant Commander
Staff Commander
Captain / Major
Rear Admiral / General
Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Amusingly there isn't actually a "Commander" rank. I think Lt Cdr is mentioned in ME1? If they continued writing deep lore entries there'd probably some paperwork somewhere formally saying that Shepard is seconded to the council and has an acting rank of at least captain but will be hosed over on her pension at retirement time :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^ kaidan is an O6 in ME3 according to the ME1 codex

SgtSteel91 posted:

Shepard was also dead for two years, so technically they're no longer a Lt Cdr either

She was enough of one to be court martialed. Clearly not active service though of course...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

I like how in Jade Empire if you try romancing dawn star and the silk fox and put off choosing one of them until the end they become homies and both dump you

Witcher 3 did it better

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

It was a nice bed, too.

Triss never... ohhhhh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

DA:I is a better Mass Effect game than Andromeda

Seriously

DAI would've been a good game if it was as long as a Mass Effect. As it stands, its an 80 hour game with 40 hours of content.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Can you imagine being that poor dumb bastard who climbed a loving 300 ft tall sequoia for a copy of Mass Effect 3?

I mean, it’s basically it’s basically the ending sequence of the game

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, my understanding of Cyberpunk 2077 is that it's a fine game. CD Projeckt is just absolutely terrible at optics Re: a lot of things, and the game was functionally unplayable at launch and is now literally unplayable (as in, you cannot buy the game) on 2/3rds of the launch systems. There's a subset of my friend group who swear that the game is awesome but they played it on Stadia, which was apparently stable at launch for various reasons.

The PC version is functionally playable and has been since launch albeit with a lot of bugs. You’re 100% right on the consoles however.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Julius CSAR posted:

I mean charging people 10-20 dollars for Adobe Flash games isn’t exactly the most sustainable business model

Well, Adobe flash games are effectively no longer playable so it seems like a good idea now!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

At higher levels that was only feasible with a reload exploit, iirc

Reload canceling is a feature.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Not only that, they killed her off on Twitter, no less. That said, Dianna Allers in retrospect isn't THAT bad of a character and Jessica Chobot actually nails a couple of key lines as the character ("Remind me to tell you about the time I made an Elcor cry"), but there is this inescapable feeling of "this was probably supposed to be Emily Wong and got changed because BioWare wanted to buy a 9/10 from IGN" and it's still pretty scummy on its surface.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

You can be a real monster in the original Kotor

That’s part of Star Wars though.

The only problem is how dumb it is if you’re dark side by the time you become a Jedi and they let you do it anyway?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Or that you can play 100% light side exemplar and flip to The Most Evil Motherfucker Ever with literally one dialog choice at the end of the game.

Don’t you also have to kill half your party after that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, after ME1, nobody believed Shepard about the Reapers and just assumed that the Geth had a really big warship. But then the Council just decided to let it be a one-off and not only ignore Shepard's explanation about the coming Reapers, but also ignore their own explanation about how the Geth just launched the biggest attack on the Citadel in history, and they didn't try waging a war or anything in response.

That's weird.

In the intro to ME2 the council assigned you to investigating the Geth. They didn’t ignore it and probably thought they were assigning their best person for the task. Of course you and your crew think it’s bullshit because they actually had a chat with sovereign.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Simone Magus posted:

No I actually didn't know you could order her to shoot him for you lol

I know what I'm doing first now

Not ordered, if the argument goes on long enough she thinks Wrex is going to kill you and takes the shot.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Elvis_Maximus posted:

One of the weirdest parts of ME3 to me is that there are a TON of parts that care about the previous choices that a player made, but they all seem like they're these weird extremely specific unlikely to be picked by players scenarios. And then on the main route that most people are going to play there's just a lot of stuff that's not cared about and doesn't really affect anything other than a small footnote in the codex or something

I remember one of the most common criticisms aside from the ending was that it doesn't respect the player's choices in the previous 2 games. And it turns out it actually does have a lot of reactivity to those, but mostly in the really weird scenarios rather than something most players would see.

The objection is that the main plot didn’t care. For an example see the rachni.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The problem with the ME3 ending is that it ended the entire setting which is absolutely not what anyone was expecting or a fitting ending to the kind of story they were telling.

A “golden ending” would radically alter that calculus and make everyone feel better that there’s a true ending that a sequel or some other game can build from. Instead :speculate:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shirkelton posted:

A multiplayer Mass Effect FPS wouldn't work.

Just reskin 2142.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've been playing Control lately, and some of the combat seems Mass Effect-inspired. The starting pistol has the same chonky feeling as Mass Effect's heavy pistols, and the psychic powers seem kinda reminiscent of some Mass Effect abilities.

There's not the tactical squad combat or real time with pause or big cover mechanics though.

Always be throwing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

No one will ever convince me that Morinth looks enough like Samara to pull off that ruse on a normal ship, much less the Normandy with an AI, so the canon is that since the Shepard that makes that deal is completely unhinged everyone just ignores it because Shepard will just replace Tali with another Quarian with a slightly similar colours (painted by Shepard), Garrus with another Turian that got his face blown up even harder (by Shepard), Joker with another guy with broken legs and arms (broken by Shepard), and so on.

Aren’t there multiple passive aggressive banter lines about how everyone actually knows?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

And Mass Effect snipers are loud as gently caress, bunch of terrified people below them.

It was a poor neighborhood. All CSec are bastards.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lt. Danger posted:

a trial would also really slow down the first hour of the game with stakes that would immediately be negated by the invasion. Bioware perhaps could have made it work if they had more time to polish and revise but, uh

The point of a trial would be as a "previously on Mass Effect" sequence for people new to the game series. Or people that just played ME2 once at release or something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mars was a fine level, earth was complete poo poo in 3.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If we're all throwing out our alternative plots for 3 they should've made the citadel mcguffin turn off the reaper's FTL drives. Since reapers have thousands and thousands of years they'd be willing to slowboat it where ever so once you defeat the reapers that are actually at earth/thessia/wherever you are relatively safe but theres still some perpetual threat out there that can show up occasionally in sequels.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I never understood the need for the “are your shields down” line. You need a target to charge!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I made it before I fully understood how to fight all the enemies. I now know that you can safely charge all enemies, provided you time it right.

Or they’re on an incline. Except not certain inclines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Didn’t the banshee have windows where they were animation locked and could do the sync kill?

It’s been almost 10 years, I don’t remember all this clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody Pom posted:

They added Flare to the series way too late, it would have been perfect for Jack.

Charge/nova would’ve been good.