Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I was bummed to hear that there will be no ME3 multiplayer. I had a great time teleporting around as a Volus assassin with my buds on xbox live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I just finished the trilogy and I have that end of summer feeling of sad nostalgia. They caught lightning in a bottle with 2 and 3 and I'm not sure I need a 4th Shepard game.

I hadn't played 1 before and I was turned off by all of the identical mako "side quests" but it was otherwise fun to try once. Leviathan had good tone and gameplay but the story fizzled out into a big letdown. Omega was a fun opportunity to play as a renegade for once. The shore leave DLC is an all timer and has the same "love note" vibes as Blood and Wine.

I wish there was enough interest to start up multiplayer. I miss rolling around the map as a biotic volus unlocking weapons and shooting the poo poo with my friends on voice chat.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

3 added a lot of inexplicable dumb stuff

Diana Allers uncanny valley IGN reporter
The big titty robot model for EDI
The evil ninja KAI LANG with no apparent motivation or personality
Offing Udina with little explanation or follow up

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

bobjr posted:

The Udina Cerberus turn does feel forced, like it makes him bad in a new way that’s out of character.

I don’t even know what his endgame was in that situation.

Indoctrinated? Selling out humanity to consolidate power? Misguided attempt to help humanity? Jealous of Shepard? All fine explanations that could have been explained with one of those security footage terminals. Hell, put a datapad in his office lol.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The recruitment and loyalty missions in ME2 are the meat and potatoes of the trilogy. Each one is like it's own Star Trek episode

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

bobjr posted:

Jacob's ME3 mission is extra funny in a way because all the other ME2 squadmates either hold their own in a fight or show off their skills, Jacob gets shot and has Shepard do all the work fixing things.

Jacob's ME2 loyalty quest was straight out of a 70s exploitation film. When you attempt a rescue of a marooned crew in the jungle, you soon find out that the natural food supply gave everyone brain damage turning them into morons. Jacob's dad held out because he hoarded the ship's rations for himself and he only sent out a distress signal when he ran out 10 years later. He waited because in the meantime he's been living out a mass rape fantasy. Shepard has to shoot through a huge number of brain damaged goons who don't know better to get to the Colonel Kurtz-like throne and send the absent black father to jail

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That escaped Yahg on Sur’kesh never showed up again did it

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

MorgaineDax posted:

Makes the old dude and his shrunken adult-bodied grandkid at the end make a lot more sense if they're now the result of a few dozen Normandy crew members inbreeding for generations. "Tell me a story about the rabbits The Shepard."

This was probably the worst voice acting in the game. I couldn't believe how amateurish and read-for-the-first-time it sounded. Even Marina Sirtis did a better job

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why does his mask have 1940s WW2 propaganda poster yellow peril eyes?

It’s absolutely bonkers they did this. The only consolation is all Cerberus enemies have slanty eyes but it’s usually a full face visor or a robot

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kai Leng should have had a personality inverse of your paragon score. He could still be annoying in a self-aware way (moralizing “stealing is wrong!” speeches or Saturday morning cartoon villain). That would have been more fun anyway.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The full Blasto movie in 3 was pretty funny

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Is it lazy writing or an intentional motif that almost every loyalty mission is addressing Daddy Issues of some sort? Mordin and Garrus plus the two DLC squad excepted.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Good point about Mordin. Samara and Morinth is of course a mother-daughter relationship. Legion and the Geth is about resisting their "creators"

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect broadly deals with themes of generational trauma, which many of the individual loyalty missions echo to varying degrees of success. The tendency of all the Milky Way civilizations to create a new crisis to solve the old crisis while at the same time being utterly dependent upon the mechanism of their own destruction hiding in plain sight is returned to again and again throughout the trilogy. I think the parental issues are mostly intentional and successful in their aim.

This is a nice way of putting it.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I want more adventures with Shepard and his friends, solving problems by clicking the blue or red buttons. Grandpa needs to watch his stories

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Liara is a very monotone character the whole series except for the one side mission in 2 where she can fly off the handle and murder her assistant

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

So far in ME3 though the only remotely interesting new character I've seen is Eve.

These goofballs really put an EDI, Eva, and Eve all in the same game.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Right after you rescue him and talk to him in the war room, Primarch Victus is impressed that the reapers are using Turian tactics - "overwhelming force" - against them.

Uhh sorry general they just have better ships that's not "tactics"

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Kaiden has a great voice it’s like a mix of Keanu Reeves and Milhouse

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Jacob without using a weird creepy lecherous voice.

that entire "but the priiiize" line is so unhinged and bad I love it

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Spacebump posted:

So the Genophage was awful, wrong, and shouldn't have happened. At one point during a mission, someone mentioned the past Krogans were trying to launch asteroids at other alien's planets after the Rachni War and before the Genophage. At that point, how should the other races have approached the Krogan?

Mordin makes a decent case in 2 and 3 that the genophage was the best idea at the time.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

Final ME1 rundown of the Butcher of Torfan:

Not a nice thing to call your Shepard’s barber

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Spacebump posted:

How many Krogans does the game introduce us to that never held jobs other than mercenary or related to supporting mercenaries? I do agree that the way they are presented by other races is propaganda. It just doesn't help that most of them seem to pick a profession that is more or less killing for profit.

What about the sweetie pie Krogan who is super dejected that there are no fish in the Presidium lake

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

How are you gonna evacuate billions of people without any readily available space arks during a blitzkrieg on every major city, then how will you feed them while being relentlessly pursued by death machines

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m not going to over-defend the Shepurrection because it is admittedly very forced and lame but it does establish a few important things.

1) Cerberus has a ton of resources and aren’t afraid to break the rules. This is often contrasted with the Council bureaucracy and its directly taken from American perceptions around private vs public industry and B movie tropes about science with no oversight going too far

2) You as a first time player might feel obligated to cooperate and trust Cerberus since they saved you

3) Emphasizes that Shep is the only one who can get the job done (space jesus)

Narratively it’s a lazy way to have NPCs explain everything to you, remind you of your past, for the old crew to go their separate ways, for a tutorial, and for Shep to reset their skills and weapons

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Animal Friend posted:

I've played these games (1 and 2) so much over the years that I'm playing full pyscho body count Shep. If I have the chance to punch or shoot or go for maximum collateral I'm taking it.

On top of this, the plan is to romance Kaiden and kill Ashley (so I can then tragically kill Kaiden in 3), kill Wrex on Virmire too and then go for the ending of 2 where only Shep and Joker survive.

That's why I tried to make my character look as insufferable and weird as possible- basically the ME equivalent of Jared Leto's joker.

Here she is killing the Rachni Queen:

Post again when you got those glowing scars and terminator eyes

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I have never played as a renegade because I feel guilty being bad, however ME1 Shepard had some boner lines as Paragon (“stealing is wrong!”) and Renegade had some great moments from what I’ve seen (from 2: “you’re working too hard” BZZZZT)

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Doing a renegade playthrough for the first time, just met the Racnni Queen

"I didn't come here to talk to bugs!"

This is way better than Paragon. I didn't know what I was missing all these years

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Goddamn Shep gets winded so quickly in 1. At least let him keep running in the Citadel it’s embarrassing! He’s like the kid sneaking candy bars at fat camp

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

DreadUnknown posted:

I hate Banshees so very much, I died to those assholes in MP many times.

Yeah they would teleport at you and if you panicked while trying to break cover in a room full of boxes, it was lights out

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pattonesque posted:

Samara should have remained unromanceable imo, kinda weird that they changed that in Citadel

I can’t imagine caring about this since you have to intentionally opt into it. It’s not like you can stumble into it

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I’m hankering to play multiplayer on PC now but I can’t justify paying more than like 5 bucks for a copy of a game I own on 2 platforms already. How low does the price go during big steam sales?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Donovan Hock's accent is so over the top I love it

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sydin posted:

Always shoot the vase.

Hell yeah. Just did this during my first renegade playthrough

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I had reach, she had flexibilty

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Just started ME3 on my first ever renegade run. WHAT HAPPENED TO MY SCARS AND EYES

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Your paragon/renegade points get carried over proportionally but get scaled down like from ME1->2. If you keep making renegade choices the scars open up again.

Coulda used the glowing eyes in the opening in Vancouver when I'm bad-mouthing the bureaucrats and watching that kid get roasted

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

This is the last time I'm going to complain about this but I'm aghast ME3 is still at full price $30 during the summer sale when the HD edition of the trilogy is on sale.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Psycho Landlord posted:

Just gonna say Tuchanka is the best part of the series, again, in this thread, because it's true

Carlos the thresher maw was a little goofy

My favorite part of the series is in 2 arriving at Omega the first time and walking into the club. Perfect sci fi atmosphere

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, it's not 1:1. For some reason my ME1->ME2 import came out totally the same, except Shepard now had blonde, very fine eyebrows that were almost impossible to see. It bugged me so much I captured the face code and then restarted the whole drat game, just so I could put his eyebrows back.

I really don't know why, when you import, going to "customize" swaps you back to the default appearance when you have an import appearance. It's very logical that I want to fine-tune what your importer did!

My Vincent Price pencil mustache all but disappeared in 2 but came back with a vengeance in 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

For those of you that haven't navigated to your photo mode folder, the "take photo" button will keep the IU unless you hide it. Sadly lost a few perfectly good screenshots to this idiotic developer choice.