Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ilium's star has picked a bad time to go supernova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

the new sequel should just be a resurrected legion collecting and wearing various other pieces of a blown apart Shepard. just pulling a partial face over the ol' optical port

"This one is Shepard-Commander, and this retail outlet is this one's favorite on the Citadel."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Omega DLC for 3 was embarrassing. They want to build up the bad guy as this great general who can predict his enemy's moves. How do they do this? By showing him loving around with a chessboard twice. At one he calls you up once to say "I predicted you'd do this." And then you're forced to walk into the middle of an obvious trap so the game can drop a SWTOR-style moral choice out of nowhere. They also said he's not like the Illusive Man and that he disagrees with Cerberus's methods. And then a later cutscene shows him condoning strapping innocent civilians into a machine so they can be turned into abominations.

When I recently replayed the series, going from the highs of the end of Priority: Rannoch to the lows of Priority: Omega caused some whiplash, let me tell you.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I rotated people pretty consistently across each game, usually bringing characters who felt appropriate for plot missions, like Liara and Wrex for Noveria, etc, or Zaeed on Garrus's ME2 recruitment mission.

This is what I like to do as well. I also try to keep previous squadmates together for important missions in later games. For instance, I like to bring Garrus, Ashley, or Tali along for Thessia. It makes the internal story a little nicer that they in particular showed up to support their buddies. :unsmith:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sally posted:

Isn't Wrex a temporary member on Tuchanka if he survived up until then? ME3 had a lot of guest character moments compared to the other games.

The Expanded Galaxy Mod for ME3 lets you take old surviving squadmates with you to non-main story missions like the ones on the multiplayer maps. I'm pretty sure it's any old party members who are currently on the Normandy or any ones you've recruited to the Crucible project.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Quarians had it coming.

No matter how my Shepard leans, they will always take the Renegade way to end the war between the two because at that point they have to be completely tired of the Quarians deliberately trying to torpedo all their work.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Klowner posted:

Can someone explain in detail the issue with how the geth and/or quarians are portrayed? I remember feeling it was pretty consistent across all the games but I haven't played them in years

In 1, the Geth are unknown and violent. In 2, you find out that there are two factions: the bad Geth and the neutral Geth. In 3, the Geth are all blameless children who never did anything wrong in their life. Every thing they do is only ever in reaction to something else. They took hardware upgrades from the Reapers because the Quarians started a war. Every time they're portrayed by the story, they're always blameless innocents. Literally at one point, despite being artificial intelligences capable of accessing the sum total of knowledge, one Geth in a flashback doesn't understand "why his creator stopped moving."

The Quarians in 2 are assholes, but you can understand why they're doing what they do. In 3 they're ambitious war hawks who attack and blow up a ship that one of their leaders and Shepard are currently on board. You tell them to flee and get their civilians to safety, and they refuse to do it and instead start sacrificing ships in a fight. They exist just to give the story artificially heightened stakes because every interaction you have with them will have them doing something needlessly and pointlessly stupid, often to the point of being self-sabotaging.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

Old World Blues - Christine and the talking stealth suit were voiced by some gaming journalist lady

Wasn't Christine voiced by Laura Bailey? :psyduck:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

On the other hand consider: massively hung over Ashley in Mass Effect 3 is extremely funny and Kaidan has nothing of the sort even close to approaching it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The sky boxes where a huge section of the view was dominated by a way-too-close star were my favorite ones. Just looking up and seeing an endless, roiling sea of blue or red plasma was cool as hell.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Sudokus with numbers: easy, relaxing, even fun sometimes. Sudokus with glyphs: tedious, awful, confusing, takes 4x as long as regular sudokus.

Not ironyposting either. It's just pointless, tedious busywork. Also the glyphs need to be way more visually distinct than just randomly arranged hashmarks.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The Elcor squad member would have just been the Elcor partner from the Blasto advertisement.

Badassfully, I'm just two days from retirement Blasto.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Tali's shield steal move will forever be my bonus power pick. Being able to tell a shielded enemy "gently caress you" is awesome.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Charitably? Months. The Crucible, even despite the simple plans, would still take a long, long time to construct. Even with mass effect fields and outer space making construction simpler, there's just a million different things that need to be tested and built for it. There's also supply lines, coordinating teams across an entire galaxy's worth of workers, and most likely also trying to prevent wannabe crime lords from skimming poo poo off the top... The project was a huge, complicated mess.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

"Brynn even wants to name the child after you! We're not doing that despite what she claims."

Jacob in 3 may as well be an entirely different person from how he was in 2. He goes from a solid bro who's got your back to a sneaky, lying rear end in a top hat who wants nothing to do with Shep. That conversation in Huerta Memorial is many things, but it is not two friends catching up. It's someone trying to make small talk while running into someone they dislike out in public.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I've got Andromeda installed and I'm about to install a bunch of mods to play it. Is this list by nine gear crow from much earlier in the thread still a good list of mods to use?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=512238812

EDIT: Evidently not because according to Frosty Mod Manager, every single mod on that list does not work with the current version of the game. FMM will not let the game launch as a result.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 8, 2022

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Psion posted:

I used most of crow's mod list for andromeda a while back and it worked fine, I have no idea why it wouldn't now. does frosty have a 'launch anyway' option? surely they haven't updated the game. It can work and I suggest as many mods as possible to shave off as much bloat as MEA allows, because the more of that you strip away the more actual good game shines through the unavoidable bloaty nonsense you can't mod out. pretty sure I've talked about it in this thread if you look at my post history (this will hurt you, shepard)

I wound up having to repair the installation and redownload about 10% of the game. That fixed the version mismatch error. Then a missed dependency I eventually found let me launch the game to play for a whole hour.

Then my wrist decided that it was time to come down with tendinitis. I swear the universe does not want me to play Andromeda. :shepface:

That hour I played was pretty cool though!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Were Lair, Zaeed, and Kasumi the only good DLC packs 2 had?

Firewalker was boring and kind of tedious. Overlord not only had all the problems of the Hammerhead from Firewalker, but it also aged like milk in the desert sun. Arrival was long, boring, tedious, and kept artificially raising the stakes for cheap drama.

I guess the equipment packs were alright?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Wolfsheim posted:

Always a fan of the 'slightly turn and shuffle off screen' move

Lead with their head while bodily turning, exit stage left. Every time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

That mission had something else that didn't sit right with me too but I can't remember

Might have been the bit where the warden was extorting money from various planets by implying he'd release particularly violent offenders back onto the planet at random if they didn't pay up.

The Renegade option with Jack at the end was always fun, though.

"That's a Cerberus vessel. Do you think I'm stupid?"
"This prison is blowing up, I have the only way off, I'm offering you a ride, and you're arguing with me."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I stopped my own first playthrough of Andromeda recently. I probably would have liked it better had it not story blocked the only interesting part of the game for me... Exploring the planets and increasing settlement viability. Instead, you get a game with a generic at best sci fi story and sidequests that, also at best, are bottom of the barrel MMO fetch quest dreck. By the time I quit I was barely interested in anything going on, and was continuing out of a sense of inertia instead of investment.

Would not recommend

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

For that matter, Final Fantasy 13-2 had N7 armor for Serah and Noel as well.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Someone, I think it was Shamus Young in his ME series retrospective, mentioned that in ME2 and 3 Cerberus felt like a new writer came in and wanted to tell a story about a well funded terrorist organization set in space and actively resented having to share screen time with Cosmic Horror Space Squids. While I think the point is a bit far fetched, I do understand how he arrived at that conclusion. A lot of Mass Effect 3's runtime is dedicated to Cerberus deciding that the Reaper invasion, the thing they had been preparing for from day 1, was the exact right time to launch an all out war against the rest of the Galaxy.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Every time I think an Uncharted World can't get any worse, I find one that's even worse.

It HAS to be Nodacrux, right? That hellhole of a map has got to be the worst one.

I can never remember which one it is, but it's an uncharted world full of valleys and 10 mile high mountains and it takes you like 5 minutes of slowly twisting and turning the Mako to get it to climb out of apparently a pit that was in the center of the planet.\

I know that describes like half of them, but one of them was especially bad about it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Dodging Thresher Maw spittle to the tune of "you need to turn back, Commander. You're going outside the operation area." Non-stop.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

"What about Shepard's dream," demands Anderson. Shepard, Kaidan, Ashley, Udina, all three councilors, Saren's holographic image, and all the random diplomats in earshot all facepalm like that scene from Naked Gun 33 1/3.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's interesting seeing what y'all are saying are obvious choices. Every time I replay the Suicide Mission, I send Kasumi into the vents and use Samara for the barrier. Kasumi likes to whine about the temperature but is otherwise a fine choice, and it feels blindingly obvious to me to use an asari matriarch to create a biotic barrier.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I will claim forevermore that ME3'S worst DLC is Omega. The game tries to set up Petrovsky as a tactician. But all they really accomplish is making him say "just as I predicted" constantly, plus like three scenes of him moving chess pieces around randomly. It was a lot of being told he's an unstoppable tactical genius with nothing concrete to back it up. Learning it was written by Bioware Austin made a lot of retroactive sense because it was exactly the quality of writing that is emblematic of SWTOR.

Also, the scary space monsters in the mines were overhyped for how utterly weak they turned out to be.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Use that mod that reduces cooldown times by 200%, so Biotic Charge's recast time is fractions of a second. Then, just chain-charge everything. It's blatantly cheating and fun as hell.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I can't believe as soon as I finish my most recent LE1 run that I find a mod that everyone needs. (Punch Charles Saracino)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Generic American posted:

2. The story is... definitely the weakest part of the game. Most of the individual loyalty missions are great, but with the benefit of some distant hindsight, it makes for some truly awkward pacing. There are so few "main story" missions that it felt like I spent half the game with my entire squad stuck on the "hey, here's my loyalty mission, can we go do that soon?" brick wall that you get until it is completed and you're allowed to unlock more conversations. It doesn't help that other than Horizon and the Suicide Mission itself, the rest of the main story missions don't feel particularly interesting because they are so combat heavy. All of them feel more like Therum than Noveria, which is more than a little jarring when you play any of the Shadow Broker missions and the cinematic quality just skyrockets.

I've been very slowly chipping away at 2 again myself with the Early Recruitment mod, and it actually makes the loyalty mission wall even worse, because it puts everyone's loyalty mission trigger as Horizon. So anyone you get after has a single conversation with you, then you do a mission, and when you come back they're like "SHEPARD I NEED YOUR HELP TO RESOLVE MY PAST" and then suddenly they don't get more development until you finish their mission. Even worse, Legion has basically nothing pertinent to add to any missions you bring him on. Even Tali's recruitment just has like two extra lines of dialogue from Reegar and Tali each.

(The Early Recruitment mod has an option to have Legion join after the Normandy Crash Site)

But even before that, squadmates basically have nothing to say between missions. I got more discussion out of Miranda than anyone else because she has like three required conversations before she'll broach the topic of her sister. Meanwhile Mordin says nothing after his Genophage discussion. It's a far cry from ME1 where you could get a good two-three conversations from some squadmates after each main mission. And ME3 where, if I remember right, everyone gets new dialogue after each non-sidequest mission you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Inquisition felt so bad to play. The actual combat was all low numbers, plinking at oversized health pools. I remember getting to a pool area filled with dragons on the first map and stopping there because actually playing felt so slow and awful.