Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

nine-gear crow posted:

I’ve had enough of your disingenuous shitposting

Ahh yes, "Shitposting", we've dismissed those claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lt. Danger posted:

Thessia reveals that the asari have been hiding prothean technology from everyone else, despite their own laws against this. the Reapers you fight (in exceptional circumstances) are subservient destroyer-scale mini-Reapers, not full-blown Sovereign-class. Reapers harvest populations which requires working on a humanoid scale

I'm not sure how much we can fault Bioware for tying up loose ends and revisiting core characters/places - one of the major fan complaints about ME2 was how it didn't do enough with ME1 import choices: emails, fleeting encounters, teasers for the next game. if nothing else Bioware has always been very sensitive to audience feedback, with a tendency to overcorrect

Yeah, part of the point of Thessia is reiterating the point that Liara's dad makes in ME2 and ME3. The asari are too comfortable to think about what could happen if they were wrong. Because they've been the queen bitches of galactic society for as long as there's been a galactic society (this cycle). If someone had discretely given Liara access to the temple after ME1 things would have gone down much differently.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I finished up a playthrough of Technomancer over the weekend and the morality system in that game is similarly comically evil. You explicitly do not kill any human that you defeat in that game unless you manually walk over to them and press the "Drain money out of body" button. And you're given the opportunity to forgive/spare basically every single one of your enemies. But after you beat the game's main villain your party members just go "Oh look he died of a heart attack! Thank god you didn't have to make that choice!" There's not even a cutscene or something he just falls over dead and you fight some giant kaiju as the actual final boss.

I think I actually laughed at the sheer absurdity of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You big, stupid, cuttlefish.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The reaper honk remains one of my favorite alert noises on my phone.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh yeah, Grunt still kicking but now he's the grumpy old man instead of the scrappy young tankbred could be fun.

Grumpy old bodyguard to the eloquent and diplomatic leader of the Krogan Federation: Mordin Wrex.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

er.. i mean... in an effort to appeal to the reigning human leadership of the galaxy he's trying to implement earth style surnames on tuchanka or something.

Yeah

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

nice try, legion

There was a hole...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It really is astonishing how much Leviathan kills the mystic of the Reapers. They go from mysterious entities with somewhat understandable goals but unknowable origins to malfunctioning paperclip optimizers that can't even conceive of cybernetics. And all three of the endings involve, in some way, agreeing with the faulty conclusions of a malfunctioning machine created by evil mind control squids. That AIs and Organics literally cannot exist together so you either need to A) Destroy all the AIs, B) put an organic mind in charge of the AIs or C) use literal loving space magic to turn everyone into a homogeneous cybernetic race so everyone will get along forever.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Snake Maze posted:

“Fusing organic and synthetic life” makes no sense as a thing you can do, but it also makes no sense as a solution to the synthetic life problem in the first place, because it does nothing to stop people from building machines to do work for them, and then making those machines smarter so they can work better, etc, until you have geth 2.0 or whatever.

The problem has never been creating artificial life, the problem has been with making artificial slaves and then making them sentient, then refusing to meet their new needs. Yes those needs will be different than what an organic life form needs, but they are probably not incompatible unless you design them to be that way.

Like the entire point of SAM is that they create a sentient mind and a means by which his needs are met, and attainable goals, and SAM is happy to do whatever he can to help people because of the mutualism involved. And in a golden ending Rannoch the Geth are perfectly fine with helping the Quarians because they are being treated as sentient equals.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The ending also makes no sense because somehow the Protheans made incomplete blueprints to a device that the current day races completed that was able to use the Citadel to do something the reapers didnt' even know was possible and the Protheans would find abhorrent.

Like, Blowing up the reapers, i can understand, that's something the crucible would have been designed to do. Taking control of the reapers, sure, if the AI that controls them is in the citadel then yeah that makes sense, but i have no idea why you still need the blue laser and the relays blow up.

But what does Synthesis do that makes transhumanism happen? How does it happen. Like even within the fiction of the game how the gently caress do you use space lasers to turn someone into a cyborg that doesn't also make them extra crispy?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Or a fuckable reaper, I guess

THIS HURTS ME, PLEASE BE GENTLE, IT IS MY FIRST TIME.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

DA:I is good. its just a weird game where the Middle is the best part and its pacing is weird and one of its best character has the lamest personal quest.

This is incorrect because Sera has the lamest personal quest and is the worst character.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I mean, there is, but that explanation reveals that she's a ladder kicker who enjoys the status quo because it gives her an acceptable target. And she doesn't want to actually improve the plight of the lower class or reform society because that means that she doesn't have a flimsy moral high ground upon which to stand while she fucks with people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Sera's a garbage character with hidden depths. But that' just reveals that she's a landfill full of even more garbage.

Both she and Vivienne are people who are firmly ensconsed in the current order because it benefits them. They both see themselves as correct, as aspirational figures, and cannot concieve of a world where they are wrong. But Vivienne is willing to accept that you disagree on things. Sera will shank a guy you're exploring the talk tree with because she's bored.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing that makes her irredeemable to me is after the Temple of Mythal. She's positively giddy that the elves fell into ruin on their own and their gods aren't "real" like the Maker obviously is, and she gets loving pissed if you don't agree.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

That does not appear to be on steam. Seems like Everspace 2 (which is early access) or Star Wars Squadron (I hate everything star wars) are all there really is.

It's weird how few space games there are!

Stellaris, Slipways. Masters of orion?

if you're wanting a bioware-alike and are okay with it not being spacey, Greedfall is okay.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It really is hilarious that Liara's outfit looks more like actual combat armor than the leather jacket with shoulderbits that the actual loving Soldier is wearing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's very funny how what the writers clearly want you to think about mages is so utterly at odds with the text of all three Dragon Age games. The phrase "ludonarrative dissonance" gets thrown around quite irresponsibly but here it is well-deserved.

It's hilarious that 2 does rather explicitly want you to side with the mages, but the two mages it gives you as party members are a terrorist abomination and a blood mage.
Inquisition does a better job of it because It's very clear that the only person who wants the circle to go back to the way they were is Vivienne, who had a position such where she had all the benefits of the circles but none of their drawbacks. Even cullen is disillusioned with them. It's a very abstinence only education thing where if you don't teach Mages how to deal with these terrible things that can happen to them then they won't have the means to do so.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

It didn't help that the time scale of things that are supposed to have happened in Andromeda before the player arrives is super hosed and completely nonsensical.

yeah I love that the remnant showed up like...10 years after you left, created the angara, seeded the galaxy, got hosed up by the enemy who made the scourge, left the angara alone for 300 years, then the kett showed up 100 years before us. Like.. that's a lot to squeeze into 600 years.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I love how Liam's quest is basically a worst case scenario that we pull out of the fire by being hideously lucky. And we can take him to task on that. If his friend had been kidnapped by the Kett rather than some marauder with dreams of being a pirate king, it would have ended badly for the initiative.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Liam's quest really stood out to me because while Liam was boring as poo poo and the plot of the quest was a big roiling fart that I can't remember. But the gameplay mechanics of gravity getting all hosed up and the ship rolling over a few times so you were walking on the walls and the ceiling here or there was really fun and memorable and a testament to what the game could have done if the dev team was given the time they needed to actually work on poo poo and if they'd had a more coherent idea from the start.

"My apologies pathfinder, walls are not floors."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I mean it’s better then Fable.

Fable, the sequel games Microsoft does not want you to buy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

lots of opinions on both. someone quoted a 2 1/2 hour review of the game at me when I asked if it was fun, so it's definitely brought up strong feelings in different ways.

Spiders RPGs are usually pretty jank with bland areas but have just enough weirdness going on they are enjoyable from start to finish. I wouldn't pay more then $20 though.

As far as Spiders RPGs are concerned Greedfall is probably the best. It's a huge improvement over Technomancer at least.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I think that they can do open world, but those open worlds need to be constrained.

Emerald Graves is densely packed with things to do and is relatively small compared to the Hissing wastes which is so ridiculously large you need to ride your horse for literally minutes to get from one point of interest to the other.

One of the best planets in ME:A is the jungle planet that you can't use the car in, because it's purpose built and interconnected, rather than set pieces separated by empty padding.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

The girl who hosed Varrens? What? I’ve played this series numerous times and somehow I thankfully missed out on whatever that bit of lore is.

I think they're talking about Jack... which is really desperately misreading Jack's character arc.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I cannot wait for the towers of hanoi puzzle on Noveria again.

I love how when you beat it it does an off-brand james bond sting for some reason.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

Quarians in general were treated as especially weird fetish objects by a big vocal portion of the Bioware boards.

I can't remember if its 2/3 where there's the Quarian complaining about a lovely boyfriend to the "nice guy" Turian friend and he's doing all the lines from the classic xkcd comic about the guy not being good enough for her and also if she wanted to watch a vid about romance between turians and quarians?

2, the bar on Thessia.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Why would a Sean Bean fan assume they'd survive the story?

My favorite thing is when Sean Bean was being interviewed around the release of Civilization 6. and he was talking about all the voiceovers were meant to sound like a father leaving behind messages for his daughter then he paused for a moment and went "drat even when I'm the narrator I manage to die." or something to that effect.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Specifically, making the 'badass woman leader' of the very large, very strong, war like species sound like a lisping gay stereotype is an incredibly bad look.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Moola posted:

yeah thats my point I guess, lots of good screen actors are not very good at voice acting. But it might have just been the VA direction she was given

either way the performance wasn't good

You also don't interact with her much if at all.
The quests for her faction are given by her Turian lackey and the game really really wants you to pick Reyes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

pentyne posted:

that actually made it great

some of the party members seriously did not like each other and only barely managed to work together and it made for some hilarious conversations where either one or both of them were just being giant assholes about it.

PB and Cora would get into it pretty bad too.

To be honest, Liam and Cora are both really terrible people.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

I picked Sloan because I read the book in which she demonstrated that she was the only competent person on the Nexus and basically got pushed out by a cadre of the dumbest and worst people the milky way had to offer.

The issue is that she goes from that to "Boot on alien throat forever"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m guessing Gates McFadden didn’t do voice work? she’s the only one other than Stewart missing.

Her only voice acting credit is playing herself on an episode of family guy.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The fact that the asari all have the exact same face structure makes it incredibly hard to tell them apart.

Moreso than the Turians or Salarians even.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Shepard. (Takes long drag from cigarette) Our experimental black hole drive ship has reappeared in the terminus systems. But we've not received any response from the crew. We need you to inv.. what do you mean gently caress that ship?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

I've come to prefer adept for the lift throw wombo combo tailor made for launching Geth off of the Citadel tower.

I love singularity in 1, and if there's one thing Andromeda did well it's make Singularity feel good to use again.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Seemlar posted:

Any future Mass Effect game that doesn't have Andromeda's version of Pull-Throw is instantly a failure

Also funnily enough what helped bring back Singularity as good was not including Warp since that had superseded it in utility in pretty much any circumstance

Warp's utility was split across lance and throw. And Pull got the shield piercing ability of Lash.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, my understanding of Cyberpunk 2077 is that it's a fine game. CD Projeckt is just absolutely terrible at optics Re: a lot of things, and the game was functionally unplayable at launch and is now literally unplayable (as in, you cannot buy the game) on 2/3rds of the launch systems. There's a subset of my friend group who swear that the game is awesome but they played it on Stadia, which was apparently stable at launch for various reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I never have either. i always viewd my shepard as using them to fight a greater threat and the second they try poo poo, they get hosed up and if he comes across bad poo poo. he ends it.

I hate the Renegade option in Project Overlord because it's clear that Archer is elbow deep in the "Throw science at the wall and see what sticks" phase and TIM gets snooty at you for shutting it down regardless. And I love just... conveniently forgetting to tell him that his brother is safe in 3.