Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I still maintain the dark matter plot would have been bad.

It's an optimistic, discovery 'n' ancient secrets sci fi setting. No, there shouldn't be a plot point that space travel causes space global warming and Shepard needs to consider their eezo emissions before jetting off to the Citadel.

Hell, let's blow up the mass relays and become cosmic inflation-neutral by 2190!

Also, any ending that goes 'the reapers were right, now you have to solve the problem they identified' just makes me feel cheated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

femshep + garius + legion just chilling, calmly calling shots on hostiles, not getting too worked up about stuff, just being a bunch of pros

SCOPED AND DROPPED

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The ME2 geth were so cool as well. Are they sentient? Who knows! They're a billion billion fairly dumb programs that network and network until they're discussing philosophy and getting sentimental over Shep's armour and worshipping reapers. And then those programe might not even stay together but instead upload to a hundred different geth servers never to speak again.

While Legion seemed to be getting attatched to itself as an identity, there was every chance that after ME2 it would just go home and dissolve itself back into the collective and not really care. If the human mind is like a solid, geth are a liquid.

And the ME3 comes and says "no, they don't have ~~souls~~, unless they get magic Reaper Code that turns them into Just A Dude in a robot body".

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Whorelord posted:

Gonna roleplay a Shepard who loves Batarians but hates everyone else, including humans.

I once did a Shepard who wanted to be a careerist desk pilot at mingling at embassies, and was real mad at first when she somehow got pigeonholed as a special forces war hero

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Remember when the Normandy just lands in front of Harbinger because fans needed an explicit explanation of 'how did shep's squad get back to the normandy??', in a skybox teeming with alliance dropships.

It, uh, has thanix shields!!

Actually it reminds me of that Jenny Nicholson video where she points out that, in new Star Wars, literally every new scene has to show the characters arriving via spaceship as if otherwise we'd be confused as to how they could possibly get there.

to sell toys, duh

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

I do remember! It's exceptionally loving stupid!

"huh there's the normandy, well that's a stealth ship, can't shoot that no sir, even though it's in atmo and visual range, this doesn't hurt you shepherd"

Well now I feel obliged to post this, as a stern reminder to all would be stealth ships (super sekrit unlockable stealth plane shot down by the SAM battery equivalent of eyeballing it because they always flew the same route)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I just think any ending where actuly the villain was, strictly, right is unsatisfying. The heroes don't have to be perfect rational problem solvers but they should spend the bulk of the story dealing with the core threat that the narrative introduces. Which is reapers, not global warming.

It's like those hollywood twists where, I dunno, Bond spends the film trying to get the secret file but then in the last half hour 'surprise Mr Bond there is no secret file, it was all a ruse to trap you in my vault'. Okay so at no point did the hero decide what they wanted to achieve and work towards it, they just bumbled around barking up the wrong tree. They're basically passive protagonists who never engage with the real threat, which is bad.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's very funny how what the writers clearly want you to think about mages is so utterly at odds with the text of all three Dragon Age games. The phrase "ludonarrative dissonance" gets thrown around quite irresponsibly but here it is well-deserved.

And yet in the DA thread there are people who passionately (I poo poo you not) argue, that mage genocide is an absolute must because beep boop they will statistically lead to demons and further synthetics will always outcompete...

It kinda reminds me of Warhammer 40k. Like yeah you can justify turbofascism if you create a setting where it's the only way to solve a problem you invented. Going 'oh but you see a posessed mage / geth 2.0 hivemind / rogue psyker can blow up an entire GALAXY if they make a mistake' doesn't prove anything.

The writers are just fiddling the existential threat level until it makes them right.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think Andromeda should have been a dark mirror of ME1, in that once again humanity is brand new on the world stage. But instead of the mostly nice council you're a bunch of nobodies on the fringes of the kett empire weighing up whether or not you can afford to rock the boat. I dunno, I think that could be a compelling setting.

Obviously you'll fight the baddies either way, but you're a struggling colonist rather than a black ops bigshot. Do you rally the rebellion or take what you need and get out with no witnesses to tell their boss it was the new kids?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Here's another Andromeda head scratcher.

So SAM is supposed to be a game changing illegal AI, fully sapient but symbiotic with its human host, a genuine friend, and maybe an answer to the first game's question of whether intelligent AI can ever cooperate sustainably with meatbags.

So why did the voice director gave him act flat, monotone and servile for the entire game? Beep boop Ryder, minerals located. Bloop borp, you died but I reactivated your heart.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

And hitting the target just to show up poor Garrus would be extremely a renegade interrupt

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Garrus also immediately quits being a cop the second he crosses paths with Shepard and spends the entirety of ME1 complaining about how much being a cop sucks. I have played ME1 like 15 times now and done a paragon run every time, and I have never once completed the game with a paragon Garrus going back to C-SEC.

Yeah but when left to his own devices Garrus is guilty of almost all of the vices of the stereotypical Bad Cop - ie he roams around as judge jury and executioner with no real concern about collateral damage, the chance he might be wrong, or whether he's actually making anything better.

I love Garrus but I think I loved him more when I was a teenager who had just realised that injustice exists and really wanted to shoot it :sicknasty:

E: Actually, let's go there - Colonel Tigh's character is a crooked cop and traitor to C-Sec and I can't believe they never let Shep mildly disapprove of him or shoot him dead, isn't good housekeeping what Spectres are for?

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 18, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah I do mean Bailey - practically the first thing he does is brag about taking bribes then tell his sergent to go beat a prisoner (because ME2 isn't your daddy's Mass Effect, welcome to the Citadel btich).

He's still a good character! Just my paragade batman shep would absolutely not have put up with him

He's a good guy in the end

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 18, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

On spaceship talk earlier, I think it's disappointing but very appropriate that we never see what a salarian ship looks like :ninja:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

denimgorilla posted:

Shepard, a rogue Cerberus cell is developing a plan to colonize the Andromeda system. Put together a team and eliminate them before things get out of hand.

No cigarette drag! Shepard no that's a *drags on cigarette* fake transmission

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

From the tractor beam from Earth to the Citadel and the pile of corpses, I think the plan was that they would use the Citadel as their base for building a human reaper

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nope post facto transmission from the SSV Twitter, all the characters you (yes, you) liked on the Citadel survived on the, uh, fire refuge floors yep

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think I ever understood why the writers were so fixated on evil medical experiments. They're unambiguously agreed to be The Most Evil poo poo Ever, so what's the point?

There's no modern moral unease over whether the gains of MAD SCIENCE justify the cost. There's no anxiety in the modern psyche that your boss will feed you to a sandworm trying to make a superweapon. What is this supposed to appeal to in a modern audience? There's no ethical debate to actually have.

And yet cereberus obviously aren't meant to be seen as irredemable, at least for ME2.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hank Morgan posted:

I think you need to have at least 2 crewmates survive for Shepard to live.

A trilogy failshep run with the most deaths and worst quest outcomes is a great experience. Very cathartic. I wrote one up a few years ago in an old ME3 thread that I thought was the most optimum failshep. I've forgotten the details now but the basic strategy is to have anyone you romance die, have a bit of restraint in the suicide mission and save a few characters to die in ME3 (Tali, Wrex, Jack, Kasumi and Morinth) because their deaths or cameos in ME3 work better there and you have to have someone to kill in that game too.

And Zaeed has to live.

Every other sonuvabitch on the Normandy bought it that day :zaeed:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The shot in ME1 where Udina is left alone on the council podium looking all defeated when they refuse to investigate Saren won me over.

Udina is a true patriot and angry suit guy and would never work for cerberus I CAN'T HEAR YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also I feel like the stereotype of 'meddling politician who won't let the special forces spooks do whatever they like no matter the cost' probably falls in a more favourable light these days

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

LionYeti posted:

Yeah the whole special forces spook with a license to kill, accountable to literally four people in the galaxy hits a lot different in the Year of our Lord 2021.

*punches reporter* :shepface:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I, uh, I can hear a faint piano theme lookin at that picture

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Samara is worse :colbert:

Irredemably awful state sanctioned religious terrorist and 90% of her arc is wrapped up in cringey sex vampire backstory.

That's okay, I don't have to like every character! But I wish she had an 'actually you're too far gone even for us :frogout:' option like Zaeed...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

DourCricket posted:

I don't recall if that was in the original or not, but I am pretty sure the extended cut added it in.

The Starchild has a perfectly reasonable response however "You ended the war like a week ago, that means gently caress-all for a long term solution"

I'm paraphrasing a bit, sadly.

Yeah there's a fair argument to say that geth / other AI are just exponentially better, will always outcompete us (like the krogan), and it will always come to conflict. I don't agree but it's on-theme if they'd drawn it out a bit in the writing.

What is totally not on-theme is, after daddy issues in space the game, being forced to agree with reaper-dad and use one of his approved solutions of: either kill the robits, police the robits yourself, or obliterate the very idea of robits by putting DNA(?) in everything (??) circuit hat (???)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

"Let's all take the shuttle for this next m..."

"Oh JEEEZ Miranda, you want collectors? Because that's how you get collectors"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

ME3 should ansolutely have been a space detective/spy/archaeologist setup like the previous games that starts with the Batarian nation going dark.

The citadel is used to turn off relays that have fallen to the reapers and there's just an increasingly terrifying fog of war, not big baddies that everyone goes up against with railguns.

The gosh durn politicians aren't unwilling to fight because they're morons but because they're terrified of attracting attention.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Just chipping in to agree that Mars is really good, and the reapers arriving in a sandstorm is very cool. Also it has great music.

E:

Lt. Danger posted:

if the galactic war is shutting off relays as Reapers invade new systems then how do you get Shepard to Reaper-invaded planets to do third-person cover shooting at Reaper enemies? you can only infiltrate-and-extract-before-the-invasion so many times - ME3 already does it twice on Mars and Thessia

like what do we propose, that as soon as you complete Mars you have to spend a couple of hours going through the whole galaxy map for sidequests, because as the game progresses parts of the map are gonna get removed?

My thinking was that the council had learned from Saren and could take control of the relay network, turning them on and off at will. So they can open them up for a second to let scouts through, but they only have a vague idea which routes are safe or what is going on on the other side.

Plus you never know, open them up willy nilly and you risk a whole reaper fleet pouring through.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 27, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

JC Shepard, duh

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Benezia is extremely star wars EU IMO

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FWIW the reason the quarians never settled other planets is that the council is still making an example of them for illegal AI centuries later and refuses to grant them any colony rights.

There's a planet description somwhere for a world some quarians tried to colonise and they were evicted at gunpoint with the turians threatening to bomb them from orbit.

:turianass:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Another amusing Shadow Broker thing is that apparently Illusive Man spends like half the week banging celebrities

I always thought that read like a remnant of the half of the writing team that thought Cerberus is so cool and ruthless you guys!!

Alternatively, Cerberus intelligence found the mole and is pranking the shadow broker hard :v:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cythereal posted:

He was also a biotic. If you edit the game to pick him for the biotic shield in the suicide mission, he not only has full dialogue and animations for it, he's a successful choice.

*inhale* someone else... might have gotten it wrong

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think the geth mop up refers to heretics in and around council space. Attacking actual geth space would mean travelling a very long way, risking a huge fleet, to attack an enemy they know very little about at potentially starting a war they can't win.

Hell, in ME1 they won't even redeploy to protect their own borders against the geth in case some terminus dictator gets nervous and pre-emptively attacks.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Also the turian baliff squad threatened to bomb them if they didn't leave :cop:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Doctor Nutt posted:

In ME3 when you meet Garrus for the first time, the Turians have appointed him as a special consultant to the government on Reapers, which until the actual Reaper Invasion was basically a token underfunded dept to keep Garrus placated that something was being done to prepare, and he did his best to do what he could with the resources he had for that time.

OTOH he Sheparded so hard he came out of a gap year in the lawless wastes to force the turians, the biggest yes sir no sir inflexible rank-pullers of all, to give him a token underfunded department.

He truly lived up to the words of Shep herself on bureaucracy - "I can bludgeon pretty hard" :3:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

IMO worries about the tech singularity outcompeting organic squishies is fundamentally the same as fearing krogan overpopulation. The destroy option doesn't need to give an answer because maintaining peace and co-operation is in the hands of the children of the future!

And so, the themes of the series are maintained because rather than becoming an overbearing AI god-parent, Shep helps the galaxy overcome its daddy issues and trust in its children.

The correct response to the reapers is 'shut up, racist grandpa' *right hook* (though Shep as a vigilante Culture mind is also pretty cool)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Am I the only one who thought Aria spends the whole DLC emotionally abusing her much cooler turian girlfriend, who then suicides into a bunch of husks to prove herself to Aria? Did I remember that right?

I want an Omega DLC where you come back with Garrus to put down brutal gangster Aria T'Loak :cop:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Right after you rescue him and talk to him in the war room, Primarch Victus is impressed that the reapers are using Turian tactics - "overwhelming force" - against them.

Uhh sorry general they just have better ships that's not "tactics"

"There's no time for strategy or tactics! We fight and die!" - Shepard; career military officer, government assassin, master diplomat :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

If you go into the tunnels below the colony to turn the water back on, there's a guy raving about the thorian who you meet before you learn what ot ot. Doesn't he kill himself to escape it?