Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The only deaths I had were Mordin and Legion's sacrifices. I guess Thane died to his frog AIDS or whatever but nobody cares about him? All in all, I think I had a near optimal play through, the only "mistake" I think I made was sacrificing the Council at the end of the first game. There was a lot of pressure with the "IF A SINGLE SHOT MAKES IT THROUGH TO THE CITADEL WE LOSE EVERYTHING" so I didn't spare any effort to save the Council's ship. I remember catching flak for that throughout the following two games.

ME2 and ME3 were masterpieces, I didn't even hate the original ending of 3 aside from the fact that the three choices were essentially identical. Hope they update the ME1 to the cover-based shooter of the sequels gameplay but I can't actually see that happening. ME3 multiplayer was pretty slick, used to bring my rank 1 shotgun infiltrator into gold missions and carry the team.

Pre-ordered it on Steam. Take my money EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Error 404 posted:

The story was bad, very few memorable or even likeable characters, and constant janky loving animations but...

Gameplay-wise (powers and combos and pew pew and poo poo) I think Andromeda was the best ME.

Thank you for reading my hot take.

I thought Andromeda gameplay was terrible. Making the game open world and taking it off rails does nothing to enhance the core of the game which is the story. On multiple occasions I ran into situations where characters were referencing events that hadn't happened yet, or characters I hadn't met yet, or talking about character developments that I hadn't actually learned about yet, because I was apparently doing things out of order. The bulk of the game ended up feeling like an MMO level grind, running from one meaningless quest to the next.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I always felt that Legion was supposed to be recruited earlier, pretty sure there is a lot of dialog available for him that you can't see unless you grab him at a time that is guaranteed to kill half your crew.

Might still be worth it.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I think that canonically (maybe depending on how you shape your playthrough's Shepard), the option to control the Reapers and become god-like eternal Space Cop Shepard is actually the "Good" ending. I remember doing the synthesis choice first but that choice only really exists to justify Seth Green loving a robot.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

SgtSteel91 posted:

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the rekindling of ending talk and which one is "good"
I was speaking about "good" as in the alignment, not so much in terms of quality.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Syrinxx posted:

Those of you who recently played Andromeda again, is it realistic to try and play through it without doing all the stupid open world bullshit? It's available on EA Play now just not sure if I want to get started on it just to find out I have to do 374372843 fuckin fetch quests that don't advance the plot
Honestly, I just bee-lined the main story and it was terrible and I think I missed 90% of the game. Didn't even find the other races ark ships. Didn't do any of the side-faction bullshit (yet they all showed up to help at the climax of the story?). If you own it for some reason and just want to see where they went with it I would absolutely recommend skipping everything because its all forgettable.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

OhFunny posted:

What squad mates did everyone frequently use?

Best bro Garrus was always on my team across the three games.
Usually used whoever was most relevant to the story I was chasing, and the characters who had conflict. Tali and Legion, Wrex and Mordin. Used Garrus and Liara on a lot of side quest stuff.

Seriously, Mordin's arc and finale had more character than the entire cast of Andromeda. "I made a MISTAKE! Looked at big picture. Made up of little pictures. Too many variables!"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I forgot how much I loved Wrex's voice work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lkEp_D25hc&t=52s

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I played ME1 sinking all my points into pistol and non-combat stuff. Didn't use any biotics. I just pop-pop-popped until the bad guys stopped moving.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I was looking at the comparison video for original vs legendary edition, and it seems like they've removed all hard shadows from the game?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Claymore Infiltrator was great fun.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
The problem with Andromeda, as I see it, is that the "open world" aspect added nothing but tedium and the story really suffers pacing problems in a less on-the-rails setting.

Also, we travelled 600 years to another galaxy and everyone is bipedal humanoids that we can understand easily and instantly. There was nothing truly "alien" or new which is what I had hoped for. Also the cast sucked.

I played Infiltrator through ME2 and ME3 and really enjoyed it. Cloak-pop-cloak-pop-cloak-pop sounds tedious but when you get the big rifles and every pop is a kill it is rewarding.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 11, 2021

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I'm going to echo the sentiment of "this looks exactly how I remember it looking", but then I tried reinstalling Dragon Age: Origins last month and couldn't get over how loving primitive-looking it was compared to my memory.

So far, digging the remaster.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
When I played the game the first time, Shepard was a level-headed and reasonable man that made the tough calls but never crossed the line. This time around, she is a war criminal that immediately results to threats, demeans and derides everyone, and doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than getting the job done. It's glorious.

Also, Sniper Rifles feel a lot better in ME1 than I remember.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Also, I was level 12 (on classic mode) before I even became a Specter. Did they jack up the progression or was I just more thorough with the side quests this time around because I swear I had nowhere near as many points last time around.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
ME1 is playing completely different than I remember. I've been doing all the side quests and Mako landing crap before doing the story stuff, and then went from Liara to Noveria. By the time I got to Benezia, I had a VIII sniper rifle with IX High Explosive Ammo and two Rails on it, and killed all of her commandos and then her with a single shot.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I just learned that people actually use either Kaidan or Ashley, I've never actually used either in any playthrough, the moment I get to the Citadel they never leave the bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I guess I exaggerated, I took Ashley on my very first playthrough until she started going on about THESE DARN ALIENS SHOULDN'T BE ON OUR HUMAN BOAT AND DOES IT BOTHER YOU THAT I LOVE GOD?