Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Lt. Danger posted:

the ME3 OC ending was just the Final Fantasy 7 ending for millenials

It was Deus Ex. Very end area, presented with three things to do to get an ending. Destroy, merge and control are the three Deus Ex endings. Only the Deus Ex endings made sense and completely fitted the game they were in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

DoubleNegative posted:

The Omega DLC for 3 was embarrassing. They want to build up the bad guy as this great general who can predict his enemy's moves. How do they do this? By showing him loving around with a chessboard twice. At one he calls you up once to say "I predicted you'd do this." And then you're forced to walk into the middle of an obvious trap so the game can drop a SWTOR-style moral choice out of nowhere. They also said he's not like the Illusive Man and that he disagrees with Cerberus's methods. And then a later cutscene shows him condoning strapping innocent civilians into a machine so they can be turned into abominations.

When I recently replayed the series, going from the highs of the end of Priority: Rannoch to the lows of Priority: Omega caused some whiplash, let me tell you.

Would it surprise you that DLC was made by BioWare Montreal?

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

thrilla in vanilla posted:

The second game also seems like it had a lot of people pulling in different directions during development as far as the story goes for example the heavy focus on Legion during promotional materials and his relatively speaking minor overall importance to the narrative. All the cut dialogue for Legion seems to suggest a lot of mishmash ideas changing on the fly I think the second game just had enough positive character work and other things going on that it wasn’t as big of a deal

There is only 6 missions where you can select party members in game where you can't use Legion(counting Reaper IFF as a Legion mission), it just one more mission than Tali, Samara and Thane. Also if you love Legion and don't care for your crew if you recruit both Zaeed and Kasumi and wake Grunt then after Horizon just do 5 side missions to unlock the Collector ship mission and then do the Reaper IFF you can then use Legion on 3 recruitment missions and all 12 loyalty missions.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Also every 'random' character ever made has some hidden layers and explanations for their behaviour.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

Crucially, none of your teammates can die or be kicked out. IIRC you can’t even get mad at them

As someone who usually plays to be buddies with all the party members, the ability NOT to do so is crucial

Every Bioware RPG save Neverwinter Nights(who's campaign was an afterthought) and maybe the Sonic RPG(never played it) had interesting situations with party members. Whether it was how you recruit you them, if they could have storyline deaths, how they got along with each other or if you could kick them out. And all the games tried new stuff so every game you would have a situation that wasn't in a previous game. And not every situation was followed up in new games so their were great ideas that were basically abandoned. So if you just look at Bioware RPG's party member situation and fates there just a ton of ideas to draw from.

What did Andromeda do? Nothing. You get all 6 following a short linear path, no choice to not recruit any of them, no choice recruit someone later, you get each party member exactly when the game wants you to. None of them can die. None can be kicked out. You can't annoy someone so much they leave. No real fundamental conflicts between party members. None of them even leave and you have to do a mission to get them back. Basically they took romances and Dragon Age Origins party banter and did nothing else. And it wouldn't be a problem if the party members were absolutely critical to the plot and/or exceptionally well done. Which they weren't.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. also the fact that humanity was kind of just another species, they weren't the anointed god race like with Halo and such. like they had joined maybe 50 years ago and had quick bloody war with one of the three but we are still kinda of new kid on the block. its just there is alot of humans and poo poo.

26 years from first contact to Mass Effect 1. Which means Anderson was 20, the Illusive Man was an adult and Miranda was 7 when first contact was made. So you have a ton of characters, human and aliens that remember time from before humans entered the galactic stage.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
The turians saw humans trying to open up a new relay. Given in council space this is considered really really dangerous the turians assumed any species doing that would post significant military forces in case of a rachni incident. So when the turians defeated the small Alliance fleets they assumed this was the bulk of Alliance power. But the Alliance had just send small fleets to it's outer territories with hostile aliens contact given a small priority so when the Second Fleet arrived in full force it caught the turians off guard. When the turians then started to mass a huge invasion force the Council noticed and forced a peace treaty.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sydin posted:

Yeah, again what's really impressive about ME1's setting is that none of the political or social tensions are simple or exist in a vacuum. Everything overlaps and interlocks and you can really tell somebody sat down and gave some genuine thought to the history of the setting and how everything arrived at the status quo prior to humans popping up and rocking the boat. As much as the gameplay improved in the next two games it's really a shame they threw all that away for what ultimately became just yet another dime-a-dozen gritty, dark sci-fi setting.

It follows the 'therefore' and 'but' method of storytelling over 'and then' as outline by Trey Parker and Matt Stone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGUNqq3jVLg

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Mass Effect Andromeda is what happens when every idea a team has is shot down. Every single time a ex-Bioware member of the development has spoken they have said they had more and interesting ideas for the game but every single time it was shot down. Upper management had an idea that the game would be open world with some generic Mass Effect elements and surprise that's exactly what the game was(and the open world was bad because they underestimated the time and effort to make something on the level of a Bethesda/Ubisoft game).

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Sally posted:

hard disagree. if we lived i a world where Mass Effect didnt exist and Andromeda was the first release, people wouldve thought it pretty decent.

but it wasn't. there's ME 1-3 and they are all varying degrees of cool and good. against those they are aggressively mediocre. but if it was the first? it'd been likely recieved as a flawed but solid first entry to a series that wouldve likely gotten a proper trilogy treatment. but to iterate from ME 1-3 to ME:A? yeah, big oof there Bioware.

that's all i was trying to suggest

but this is all hypothetical wheel spinning and opinions of relative mediocrity are silly to quibble over so who gives a poo poo we are both wasting our time.

Mass Effect 1 was in the shadow of KOTOR. You know, that really well received Star Wars RPG that got rave reviews and had people shouting how it was really like being in a Star Wars movie. So Mass Effect 1 was an original IP which had to work out every single story and design element of the universe vs one of the most popular universe ever made with some of the most iconic designs in science fiction. And the fact Mass Effect 1 got out of that shadow proves being under a shadow is not some insurmountable thing. Everything is released under some sort of shadow.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

They do this terrible scream with unacceptable facial animation multiple times in the game. Like if there was a competent project manager they would have taken these scenes(animation and sound files), put the only copies on a hard drive and burnt it with thermite so there was no chance this crap would make it in the game. There was literally no one at a high level ensuring quality content.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

MH Knights posted:

Elder Scrolls Online was like this for the three player faction leads. They had Kate Beckinsale (Queen Ayrenn), Peter Storemare (Jorunn the Skald King), and Bill Nighy (High King Emeric). This is the performances are so bland a lot of players don't realize who was playing the characters. Another fun consequence of using higher profile actors is when you can't afford to get them back! One of ESO's major expansions had you adventuring around the High Eleven homeland but Queen Ayrenn was nowhere to be seen, even when the villains were about to blow the place up.

As soon as I read Kate Beckinsale I knew what problem they would run into. Why the hell would they do something so stupid in a game that is designed to get new content for potentially decades? Let's cast an in demand actress and surely years later she isn't going to leave our calls unanswered.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

Mirror Universe version of Mass Effect where the Council is the volus, elcor, and hanar with the turians and asari resentful at getting scraps.

The salarians, of course, all got eaten by the krogan-rachni alliance.

Don't need the mirror universe if someone at Bioware is creative and makes Mass Effect 4 that setting.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rinkles posted:

sorry, it's gonna be open world.

I'm sure the fourth time I try to catch this falling knife it won't cut my hand.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

let me resurrect a hero -- a bloody icon! -- who can convince anybody of anything and give her a cruiser and access to some of my best operatives

Normandy SR-2 is still classed as a frigate.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

ME2 really drops the ball in a bunch of ways with Cerberus, but one thing I never really see discussed is the way someone like Shepard joining Cerberus acts to legitimise their views in the public conciousness. Shepard gives them good PR, and it's the kind of thing they could have used the series' reporter characters to discuss.

Every post mission report in Mass Effect 2 is written by the Illusive man and many detail how Cerberus would take advantage of what happened in the mission.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

pentyne posted:

It was weird they let you pick Ashley/Kaiden, Council saved/sacrificed in the ME2 intro but not saving one of your party members. It wasn't even a tough choice to pull off in context anyways.

You are only given one choice in the ME2 intro(unless you have the Genesis DLC) and that's who is the human councillor. That's because the last Mass Effect 1 save is from before the conversation to choose the human councillor. Big oops from Bioware.

SubponticatePoster posted:

You can do it post-game. So suicide mission w/disloyal Zaeed, 1 loyal person. Even disloyal Zaeed can HTL by himself due to the math. Bring the loyal person with you so they survive. After that then do his loyalty mission and kill him at the end. The save you import will only have 1 crewmate alive.

You can only kill Zaeed in his mission post game. But if you only have two active party members it won't let you kill Zaeed. They don't let you have only one squadmate. Same thing happens in 1 if you don't recruit Garrus and haven't recruited Liara when you do Virmire you can't kill Wrex since Ashley and Kaidan can't be in your party that would have left just Tali in your party for that mission. The whole Wrex confrontation just sort of awkwardly ends without any resolution.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 24, 2021

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I got it. Leave Thane, Morinth and unloyal Zaeed alive. Here is one path uses the Suicide Mission calculator.

Kill Zaeed on his mission. Then Morinth automatically turns into a Banshee and just don't visit the hospital in 3 and you won't even see Thane, and it pisses of the Virmire survivor for good measure and your ship doesn't need a doctor.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You can double kill Samara by starting her loyalty quest, stopping before the club part, killing her in Suicide Mission and then the game will let you talk to the club bouncer and do the mission and then you can pick Morinth over her.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Whorelord posted:

Yeah. In ME1 you technically don't need to recruit both Garrus and Wrex, you can skip each one's normal recruitment stage. They come to join you at the end of the Citadel intro bit but you can just turn them down. With Wrex, I imagine this means that he just doesn't show up in ME2 or ME3 and you get Wreav instead.

Garrus has a slight line change in his ME2 recruitment if you don't recruit him and Wrex does get replaced by Wreav if you don't recruit him.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Well, for a while everyone seemed to think the Destiny model was the future of AAA gaming. Bioware got the memo—that it actually wasn't—too late

I think Destiny is successful enough to keep going but nowhere near the success they thought it would be. Like I bet there are a bunch of high up people in Bungie wondering if they should have made Destiny like Halo. So when it comes to games like Anthem and Avengers there was no chance at success.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am also confident the game isnt gonna be pushed out with only a year of work on it like ME:A or DA2.

Mass Effect Andromeda has way more than a years of work. This is from a 2014 that already showed the end of Drack's loyalty mission in polish mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opOdFKObpeM

Maybe the final design of the open worlds took 18 months after they farted through 3 years of procedural planets but not the potentially good parts which are the linear levels.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Error 404 posted:

My point is, you put disruptor on a pistol to pop shields, drop a singularity, then switch to an AR with inferno rounds to burn those assholes down!

Like God and Zaeed intended!

You could still do that with Mass Effect 2's system since powers attached to the gun not the player. It's just only combat classes got the ammo powers so you had to use squadmates ammo powers if you weren't.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

pentyne posted:

I've got tentative expectations about MS buying studios.

MS bought Obsidian who then turned around and made The Outer Worlds on time and on budget. The game itself was pretty lame but I don't really see that being the fault of the publisher necessarily aside from some expose that 90% of the problems were because of MS mandates coming down the pipeline. Even then it sold way more then expected so by company standards it was a huge success.

The Outer Worlds was published by Private Division/Take Two. Avowed is the big RPG that will show what Microsoft money does for Obsidian.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Funky Valentine posted:

The proper order of events is Ahsley killing Wrex and then Shepard immediately sending her to her death as punishment.

The proper Order of events is Ashley shooting Wrex, Kaidan dying so Ashley lives, Tali dying because you sided with Legion and then sent her into the vents, someone dying because you sided with Miranda over Jack and had Jack create the bubble shield and then Garrus shooting Ashley. Just a Failure Shepard that can't talk down any of their squadmates.

OhFunny posted:

The funniest thing is if you skipped getting Garris and haven't gotten Liara yet Wrex just backs down. Since Bioware realized after the mission you'd be left with just two party members.

It's because during the mission you would be left with only Tali.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

I'm fairly certain I remember a mission in ME1 where you clear out a base taken over by Geth AI, and right at the very end you get a brief flash of a recording the Geth had been watching of a Quarian from pre-exile singing or something? I'm fuzzy on the details but I remember my takeaway from that mission being,"There's more to this Geth/Quarian relationship than we're being told at the moment, and the Geth may not be as entirely antagonistic as they're being made out to be."

It's at the end of Tali's Pilgrimage mission. It's just a text pop up but says what you said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4TqsLuQW_Y&t=391s

6:35 if the timestamp doesn't work.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You can now randomise everything in Mass Effect 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJVpuSJsz-k

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Now here's the thing. I don't even consider Morinth a squadmate.

Mass Effect 2 with DLC has 12 (permanent) squadmates. Oh wait and Morinth I guess.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I assume they are talking about this article:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7emky/mass-effect-2-overlord-should-have-stayed-in-2010

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I wonder if you can still bring back Mordin and Samara from the dead in the legendary edition of 2. Basically if you progress Mordin's quest to the getting a ride in a truck from the chief scout on Tuchanka and progress Samara's quest to talking to the bouncer for the VIP section of Afterlife then you kill them on the Suicide Mission you can come back in the post game and complete the side quests, Mordin even comes back on the ship. And if you kill Miranda on the Suicide Mission and then do Jacob's quest she will appear in a cut scene at the end.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Legendary Edition stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWHrrsBmhuY

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
So it look like a couple of hours before it unlocks in Australia.

It's a little hard and emotional for me. Last month mum passed away. And this is the first big entertainment product to release that I have been waiting for. I really love Mass Effect so this really is the first time outside of family time and rewatching Big Trouble in Little China that I'm doing something that will spark so much joy.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

a cyborg mug posted:

They say they improved Mako’s handling but good Christ I still hate this poo poo. Just got stuck in a hole on a random planet I was just not able to get out of without going back to the Normandy

Roaming the planets in ME1 was always such dire, pointless, boring gameplay for me. I’d much rather scan planets in ME2, it’s sort of chill lol

The Mako wasn't great but the real problem was the lacklustre design of the uncharted worlds. That's why the Mako is fine on the main quest planets with the except of a few bad points.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

A true Renegade playthrough is hilarious because the Renegade character is written so unbelievably stupidly. You'd think Renegade Shep would be some brilliant but cold, calculating clinical psychopath tactician, never showing his hand but always having an ulterior motive or something like that, but it's not that at all. Instead, Renegade Shep, at least the male version, is written like a middle school bully who is always as mean and belligerent as possible 100% of the time, no matter what, even when it actively hurts him. And it's really excellent to watch "Commander Shepard: Space rear end in a top hat" play out like that on camera.

Renegade like almost all 'evil' options in games is just playing the game intentionally wrong with a wink and support from the developers.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

Playing ME1 and ME2 back to back, there's a really massive jump in quality between those games. The actual substantive content in ME1 is actually pretty low; probably 2/3 of my gameplay was driving the Mako around planets (no idea why I bothered to do this, though it's apparently letting me start ME2 with like 700000 credits and a bunch of minerals).

ME2 had a massive jump in budget due to Bioware being bought by EA and had the added benefit of ME1 creating the universe.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 20, 2021

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can I keep doing me2 missions after the end sequence? Kinda want to run these geth side missions with Legion.

The only mandatory missions before the end mission in 2 are the main/Collector missions and recruiting Garrus, Mordin, Jack and Grunt. Everything else is optional(you do need 8 total squadmates and completing 5 missions after Horizon) and you can do it after the Suicide Mission. The only thing is you need squadmates to survive to do their loyalty missions.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
You can also play 3 with no doctor if you want to.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Simone Magus posted:

I'm glad I knew that now I can do IFF early and hang out with the extremely cool Dr Michel next game

Chakwas living or dying is solely based if you send an escort or not.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

DourCricket posted:

It's just weird to me they did gay romances in Jade Empire (m/m and f/f) but felt unsure about it several years later. Did Fox News really scare them that bad?

Jade Empire was way smaller than Mass Effect and had kissing scenes not naked blue alien scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Help Cerberus.

Bunch of fluff

fight the super reaper.

That’s basically ME2

Plus 20 recruitment/loyalty missions.