Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

A talking coyote posted:

If they weren’t being gross monsters they would have just shot the distress beacon off immediately and the mission wouldn’t exist.

They could have had the only working emergency beacon being a radio one and having a 10 year light lag to the nearest comm bouy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think the Mission Complete screens are notes from TIM to other Cerberus operatives. We just get to see them through the magic of video games.

TIM just likes journaling.

Seemlar posted:

Limiting to three powers was a good lesson learned from ME3 multiplayer but the universal cooldown on profile switching was the crippling flaw of the system, it totally hobbled you from being able to do any fun switching on the fly.

It works for multiplayer because you can't pause the game. When you can pause the game there is no reason not be able to load up a ton of abilities.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Maxy Boy posted:

It's weird how in ME2 a lot of the renegade (bottom right) responses are pro-Cerberus. I guess it ties into how renegade responses in ME1 leaned towards pro-human/space racist.

And then occasionally the paragon choice is pro-Cerberus and the renegade one is anti-Cerberus.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

If they had started development with that end-product in mind and worked on that for 5 years I think it would've been a pretty decent start to a new series and any problems could be forgiven with it being a new studio making it under the Bioware title, instead they made most of the game we got in 18 months and filled it with junk to try and make it longer.

The end-product they had in mind was(and still is till this day) Skyrim. That's why they were allowed to try to make procedural planets, Skyrim bit infinite. That's why when that failed they made lovely open world maps, Skyrim but on 5 maps. And those lovely open world maps were what the whole "18 months development" time was used on. There is a 2016 gameplay leak from an end of 2014 build that show Drack's final mission in polish stage. So they already had the good parts in of the game in an advanced state when the 'reset' happened. If Bioware had a sane plan of 6 core missions, 20 side missions and 4 hubs Andromeda probably would have been released in 2015, Andromeda 2 in 2018 and Andromeda 3 would be releasing this year.

The junk and filler of Andromeda is Bioware's goal. They have a crazy dream of selling 30 million copies and open world is the easy shortcut to that goal. And I don't think they have learnt that open world games take a lot of resousres to make decent content and it is not there strength.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Maxy Boy posted:

God I hope they add ME3 multiplayer. Lots of good memories playing with goons years and years ago

Hope they let us keep our unlocked characters if they add it too

Looking at Xbox achievement data only 10% played the multiplayer tutorial compared to 20% finishing the whole game(56% played till they unlocked the Tempest). I think the market that allowed ME3MP to succeeded in 2012 wasn't there in 2017 and the market has only got more competitive since then. So I doubt there is a realistic chance for multplayer to return.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, despite going back to save Kaidan while he armed the bomb Kirrahe and his team are just hanging out on my ship? And have been for like four hours? I've been to like six different systems doing sidequests and he's still there, just chilling. I assume he'll leave when I'm forced to return to the Citadel, but I'm hoping if I play my cards right I can drag him and his team all the way to Ilos.

Saving Kirrahe is just based on if you did the 4 tasks to help the squad. He'll hope off if you land the Citadel or any of the main planets.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

I feel this doesn’t really work because like the Geth and Reapers are an AI. Giving Shepard a prosthetic shouldn’t really effect that dynamic

It's like when Michael Scott was claiming to be disabled because he George Foremaned his foot.

nine-gear crow posted:

Padok Wiks, the guy you meet on Sur'Kesh and who's named after Patrick Weekes. Same as how Kirrahe takes Thane's place if he died in ME2 as well.

And no one takes Kirrahe's place during the Citadel invasion if he also dead. So the salarian councillor dies.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Inquisition is....fine. It's fine. You could remove 60% of the maps in the game and it wouldn't change anything other than less number go up but it's not bad despite that.

Of all the open world maps in Inquisition I would give them all a failing grade with the except of the one in the Jaws of Hakkon DLC which I would grade a C. The rest are just cargo cult Skyrim impersonations that had development time spread way too thin. I rate Inquisition pretty harshly for that because I think games should be rated with the amount of bad content in mind.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Amppelix posted:

Yes, i have played the game, why are you describing her to me

Ok so this doesn't degenerate entirely to shitposting here's an actual opinion: i find it interesting that they actually wrote such a clearly terrible person as a party member, and pretty realistically terrible too, like you can see how she'd end up like that. I wanted to see the full extent of what they wrote for her so i went for the relationship, and ended up actually liking how it plays out with you kinda sorta maybe hopefully teaching her how not to be so completely awful.

From my perspective on Bioware's intentions with the character is she is supposed to be really likeable in an impish sort of way. Maybe intentionally a little over the line on the annoying scale and then you find out later on way she is the way she is. I don't think she is supposed to be presented as terrible. And the fact that you and I and other see her as terrible is a failure on the execution of the character concept. "It’s just my opinion, though. There’s really no need to go spreading it around."

fadam posted:

Why did the Genophage stop the Krogan from owning the Turians? Why does not being able to have babies matter when you’re chucking rocks at a moon?

Mass Effect is space marine fiction. All spaceships and fleets are just window dressing for the boots on ground troops.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

This is why mass effect 1 is probably one of the most offensively lovely games of the last 15 years.

Bioware learnt from that with Mass Effect 2.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Blastedhellscape posted:

Replaying ME3 for the first time in years, I'm struck again by the weird emphasis the writing in the game puts on saving Earth at all costs. It feels so weird in a soft sci-fi space opera setting with lots of habitable worlds to bank all your dramatic chips on *saving the homeworld.* Like...if you were really living in a universe where people could easily live on distant planets wouldn't your homeworld cease being important for the survival of your species, especially if you're in an existential war with god-machines? Evacuating Earth and fleeing to Eden Prime or whatever would have felt more natural in a space opera narrative like this. They never sell you on why Earth is particularly important.

The stuff about *The Homeworld* almost feels like some dated element from the war on terror era and all the jingoism that went along with that, which is kind of a through line in Mass Effect. ME3 feels like it was written by a couple of guys who had very specific world views, and were unaware that there might be people out there who think differently. I'm also convinced that one of the writers had a giant fembot fetish, and was completely incapable of imagining people who didn't want to gently caress shiny, sexy robots.

Terra Nova is the most populated human colony. It has 4.4 million people. Almost every human still lives on Earth and there isn't space(as in actual homes) to house them on the human worlds. Not to mention it would take a million ships with a passenger capacity of 1000 to move a billion people.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

"You can’t trust any animal that can milk itself."

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Think we'll see any new ME4 info at E3?

ME4 is not in production and won't start till Dragon Age 4 finishes as far as we know.

404notfound posted:

I wanted to do this, but IIRC it means that you won't have time to do all the loyalty missions without incurring some losses in the suicide mission, since you would still have Tali recruitment, Tali loyalty, and Legion loyalty left to do between the IFF and suicide missions

You can play Thane/Tali/Samara recruitment missions and all loyalty missions post Suicide Mission. To play with all 12 party members and have your squad and crew survive you only need to do 7 loyalty missions before hand, and Kasumi, Thane and Samara's loyalty mission don't use the second party member. So you can actually use Legion a ton. Recruit Tali plus 6 loyalty missions.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I think Carth suffers from Bioware wanting companion stories to be be explored over the whole game rather than being able to exhaust their dialogue tree when you first meet them. So every so often they reveal the next piece of the story and settled with "I don't want to talk about it" as Carth's conversation finisher.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Han'Gerrel, Zaal'Koris, and Daro'Xen have British accents.

Daro'Xen has an Australian accent.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

The entire Initiative navy being completely unarmed is super hosed. Like “let’s put ourselves completely at the mercy of whatever we find out here. Better hope they’re friendly!”

The team making Andromeda bought up the whole game is about colonisation to the higher ups at Bioware who screamed "NO POLITICS". I'm guessing the disarmament of the Initiative was a feeble attempt to remove politics from their game. The game still has you running around colonising angaran planets and treating them like children but the game wasn't popular enough for anyone to really complain about that.

Arrrthritis posted:

Kaidan complaining about never getting picked.

That is based who in the remaining Squadmates you picked least.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 13, 2021

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Synthesis is horrific. The mass mutilation of everyone in the galaxy. And if it changes everyone enough it fixes whatever Bioware was saying about the organic/synthetic conflict then the only way to do that is to murder everyone and create a new being in their body.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

MadDogMike posted:

Hell, they're made from the remnants of organics slaughtered to create them, I think there's a much stronger argument that free Reapers would drop the whole galactic genocide thing than not. If they weren't controlled, I'd think the universal opinion of all the consciousnesses in them about being agonizingly turned into slurry and pumped into a giant spaceship would be "wow, this sucks". They pretty much have to be compelled/indoctrinated to be Reapers by any logic, otherwise I can't see victims lining up to victimize others. I guess there's a question about whether you could "remove" indoctrination, but I seem to recall the multiplayer excuse for Collector PCs was they were liberated by the Leviathans so it's probably possible. Not that I'm sure most liberated Collectors or other Reaper breeds would last terribly long since they got cybered to a ridiculous level, which is probably the biggest problem with Synthesis indicating they "come back to life" if I recall the extended edition correctly. Gah, new ugly thought; what the hell would Synthesis do to the husk head on Shepard's desk from the Leviathan DLC? Now I'm envisioning Normandy hearing unholy screaming from the captain's quarters after Shepard died and sealing the area off assuming Shepard is an angry ghost haunting it...

EDIT: "And on dark night cycles in the depths of space, some crew swear they hear a ghostly voice whispering in their ears 'I should go' and they're suddenly compelled to flail around in a sick parody of a dance"...

Counter point: A reaper dead for 37 million years turns everyone evil by just being on board.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

Samara cheerfully describes gunning down villages because they were in her way and THE COOOODE required it. She's a paladin in the same way the Taliban are paladins.

Actually of all the characters I wish she had a get off my ship option like Sera

It's called Morinth.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
DAI is like a pretty decent boat on a river of poo poo. Like when I played I did the quest that sided with the mages then did the breach closing thing which lead to the Haven attack which lead to Skyhold which was multiple hours of good content in a row. And then it was back to the open world garbage. There was just so much of it and all of it was just bad. The open world bits were an opportunity for Bioware to put the best content in the game but they just whiffed it. Especially because the game has breaches of the dream world and reality everywhere and rather than having content from the craziest brainstorming session in history it is just two waves of demons at each breach.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Arrrthritis posted:

Bold of us to assume that Bioware would do the smart thing, rather than doubling down on their terrible ending yet again.

They will actually triple down and have half the next game take place in Andromeda.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any explicit or author-based source saying we shouldn't take starkid at face value? While it obviously makes sense for starkid to be lying (or trying to manipulate you), I got the impression the game was playing it totally straight.

No. But when endings are as bad as Mass Effect 3's ending it just invites the audience to make up whatever they want.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Blastedhellscape posted:

Man, Javik is the best companion. Even if it's not really hinted at by the game, my headcannon will always be that the Protheans were actually a pretty benevolent race, and most of what Javik tells you is either stuff that was colored by the fact that he was born 100 years into an apocalyptic war or just stuff he made up/exaggerated for the sake of loving with you.

He just happen to know about every pre spaceflight species from his time that made the jump to the galactic stage this current cycle? My take on that was he was full of bullshit and space google on everything except the asari.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Ytlaya posted:

One kind of weird thing is that characters actually look significantly worse than the ones in MELE (and I think even regular ME3). Maybe it has something to do with Frostbite as an engine? There's something sort of "fuzzy" about their appearances that's hard to pin down. Also, as someone else mentioned, the Salarians are hilariously tall. Like a bunch of slendermans. No idea why they did that.

edit: Asari also look "off." Something about their faces is weird.

Not enough work went into faces in Andromeda. They had the budget but the project leads chose not to use it on things like faces and cinematic conversations for some reason. That's why every asari except Peebee has the same face and not a particularly good one.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Taear posted:

I like DAI but I think that's the last Bioware game we'll ever really see. It's all new people now. And that doesn't definitely mean "it's hosed" but it's very likely to.

It feels like DAO and to a degree Mass Effect 2 were games they made because they really liked what they were doing. Now they just feel like it's time for some money so lets bring back these IPs.

DAI is the game that will kill Bioware. It's got some really good parts floating on a river of open world poo poo. And they mostly succeeded with it. High sales, GOTY awards, what should have been an humbling lesson for the company instead gave them confidence in their self destructive path.

It's a game where the developers themselves yell "Get out of the Hinterlands" because they added 10 hours of bad content to an open world map meanwhile Bethesda releases games where some players wonders around for 10 hours, not completing main quests and then ask for a sequel.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Eimi posted:

'Open world' is absolutely a cursed genre that has ruined video games. I don't think I've ever personally enjoyed a game more because it was open world, it was always more in spite of that fact.

What about Assassin's Creed Odyssey that is part of your avatar? Travelling around the Greek Islands in a sweet boat doing quests and fighting cultists.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

The problem with that story is that the timelines don't make sense with the comment Joker makes about Tiptree later in the game which apparently only got attacked 2 weeks ago but the commando has been getting therapy for months at that point.

The timeline for ambient dialogue on the Citadel for your first trip doesn't line up. You go straight from Mars to the Citadel and people are talking about weeks passing.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

lunar detritus posted:

And then they followed that by completely dropping Andromeda after it turned out to be disappointing. :smith:

The team behind Andromeda showed no ability to scope, plan and/or deliver. That's the reason why there was no DLC. Releasing a bad product is fine but being bad at project management means no one will trust you with any thing ever.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, y'know what, yes. ME4 treats MP as canon. Give me a universe where Vorcha and Batarians are well respected, Geth have integrated well into organic society and paint themselves the most ridiculous colors they can possibly find (and dialogue options about it reveal that the custom started in the Reaper War as an expediency and they've just run with it as a society ever since), Cerberus is a branch of the Alliance military, and the Volus are now a Council race, with their feared biotic operatives providing a statistically outsized amount of Spectre recruits over the past century.

Run with the fun version of the universe, EA!

Bioware: How about it's 600 years in the future and the Player Character and Liara spends the first half of the game making a relay to Andromeda so they can fight the second Archon.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

site posted:

yeah it's great, and i kinda wonder if you can get bodied by enemies on the runup if you just beeline through all the main missions only

All your allies essentially just distract the enemy. So a rushing power heavy Ryder will barely notice your allies while a sniper might have minor help. The only part where there is huge number of enemies you get guaranteed allies.

If you do a minimalist run only Sloane Kelly will show up as one of the variable allies(even if you have talked to her once and she told you to piss off). But even a full completionist run only guarantees two more allies, 5 others are yes/no based on choices in missions.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

Andromeda is a cool concept and there are some legit interesting hooks in it, it’s just the least confident game I’ve ever played

I'm pretty sure they disarmed the Andromeda Initiative because a lot of the writers where on point that the whole game was about colonialism and the project leads solution was no guns on ships means no colonialism. That's how little confidence they had in their own game. The project leads were absolutely terrified to make any kind of point whatsoever.

That's the honest real hook for any Andromeda sequel, the absolute worst people in the Milky Way galaxy thinking they are actually the best of the Milky Way invade a bunch of angaran planets(that's the plot of the first game) and the angaran have to fight them back to the Nexus.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

bio347 posted:

One thing I've been wondering after finishing a while back. In the final cutscene, it shows (can show?) a view of the fleets from Earth flying past the shattered Charon relay. Where are they going? There's fuckall out that way! Given the position of the relay in ME2, they're flying away from Citadel space toward Eden Prime. Or maybe batarian space.

Since Charon connects to Arcturus they could be heading there and then it's a short distance to Euler which has a garden world, a gas giant and small rocky world with exploitable metal. A close(4ish days at FTL) and decent place for them to stock up for a long voyage home.

Of course the real reason is Bioware didn't give much thought to the ending. But it's a credit to the Mass Effect world builders that I can try to explain why everyone is going the wrong way.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

ultrachrist posted:

I’ve been trying to take him along but he’s pretty meh combat-wise. I think I need to respec him since I put a lot of points into that DoT power, which seems bad. Can’t remember how to refund points though.

Dark Channel is actually awesome because it lets you do biotic explosions on shielded enemies. Also when you kill an enemy with Dark Channel on them it jumps to a nearby one and you can do a biotic explosion on them.

kilus aof fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 18, 2021

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wipfmetz posted:

So uh.... she'd need a different dialogue for why she's still sitting on the couch in the citadel club after the DLC?

There is the 3 merc group quests. Which all refer to Aria by name in the actual quests.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Guest posted:

The rachni queen choice is probably one of the worst in the series because the obvious answer the kill/free dilemma is to just hand her over to the council. Instead you're railroaded into doing the stupid thing and then when you report to the council they're like what why didn't you just turn her over to us.

I always felt this was a missed chance to play up the paragon/renegade system. Have the paragon choice being shipping the Queen over to the Alliance/Council as the by the book choice. And the Renegade choice being letting the Queen go, breaking the rules for the moral choice.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Wipfmetz posted:

I just finished my failshep run, and got no other ending option but Control.

I'm pretty sure that an earlier failshep run had Destroy as the sole option, and that that Destroy destroyed Earth, too. But that was around 10 years ago...
I've given the Collector Base to TIM this time, so maybe that influences the ME3 option?

Low EMS runs have your Collector Base choice determine what ending you get.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What is the most Fail you could put into a single run?

I can't do a proper renegade run, because Shepards is generally nice to his crewmates unless you specifically say lower right things to them, so she sounds schizophrenic. Also I mostly know the big choices and can't bring myself to kill Wrex or not cure the genophage, because even a renegade shep feels like they would give the finger to the Dalatrass.

I wanna do a run where anyone who can die in ME3, survives the suicide run and us thusly killed in ME3. E.g killing Wrex and Mordin during the genophage arc, letting Samara die, killing the Quarians and letting Tali kill herself etc etc. Just having the biggest most tragic body count possible. LEtting your romance interest die on Virmire, romancing Tali and killing her people, just going ham on the worst Shepard of all time. Every time I google it for ideas, most people seem to just kill everyone in the suicide mission and have a yawntastic ME3.

any ideas?

Suicide Mission you only have to kill Jacob and Garrus as they can't die in 3. The rest can all die in 3. And you can kill Samara in her loyalty mission and then kill her daughter in 3.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Helith posted:

You can make an in game case for the descriptions being sparse as there's only one known sentient species, the Angara, in Andromeda and they were decimated by the scourge and lost a lot of their knowledge and history and the Initiatives knowledge of Andromeda is 600 years out of date.

There is also magic planet terraformers that are going crazy everywhere. Maybe they make some planets weird. Like put a piece of paper in a break room and let everyone on the development team throw out whatever crazy idea they want. But maybe Bioware doesn't have paper and pens/pencils.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
I was reading the old thread from around the time Andromeda released because goon threads about things that received badly are always hilarious because the creeping sense of doom and complete denial going on at the same time and here is a poster that casually predicts the end plot 6 days before release:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796973&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=404#post470331552

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Rinkles posted:

one of my pet peeves with MEA was how expensive research and development is, meaning you're punished for experimenting

It takes multiple completist playthroughs to unlock everything. It's absurd. Like if you spend all your points on a gun that sucks then you are poo poo out of luck. Patch one if Bioware cared should have divided the costs by 5 or 10 or something.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Priority: Horizon felt like it needed a bit more buildup to Sanctuary being an important place that you were at last seeing. I guess there are the billboards around Citadel advertising the safety on Sanctuary, but if it was mentioned a bit more to foreshadow it, perhaps it would work better given how late you get there (although maybe it is and I missed that)

That a danger with ambient storytelling. There is a fair chuck of conversations about Sanctuary around the Citadel so one person can have all the Sanctuary bits drop at the right time and it's a game wide plot and another can miss them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Saints Row 1 was a solid game. Being the first of the genre to exclusively launch on the Xbox 360 generation helped as everything else was still stuck on PS2 limitations. They tried hard and succeed more than they failed.

Saints Row 2 was just such a great sequel. The Boss in an irredeemable psychopath and the game knows it. This is a game that build upon everything before it.