Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So they sharpened the textures and slapped a new lighting engine in and that's a remaster

hey dude these days you're lucky you don't get a de-master like warcraft 3 reforged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imo it is dumb for games to UP THE ANTE every single time. There are tons of cool stories to be told in the ME universe that dont involve saving the entire galaxy from ancient super machines. Imagine being a down on your luck mercenary at any time in the series, or a special forces soldier trying to help re establish society after ME3, or another Spectre taking down criminal networks

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

things are really popping off on the steam forums

they wanted a remasster

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

ME1: Wrex + Liara
ME2: Garrus + Tali
ME3: Garrus + Wrex

my greatest regret is that i can only pick two. i want to ride with all my space friends

Wrex cant be on your team in Me3 can he?

Personally in ME1 I went Wrex and Liara, ME2 Garrus and Zaeed, ME3 Garrus and Liara.

Was hard to pick 2 out of Garrus, Javik and Liara for 3

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Ending should have had no star kid and played the catalyst straight. You plug the superweapon in and weakens the reapers a ton, enough that they can be defeated conventionally. Then get a sick rear end cutscene of your assembled military strength blowing up the reapers, maybe taking tons of casualties, or actually losing if you didn't have enough. Then you get narrated ending slides which depict what happened to the universe. A while back there was a "Choose Your Own Mass Effect Ending" thing on scribd that actually made some pretty sick endings, way better than what the actual writers came up with.

No need for dark energy or lots of speculation or whatever dumb poo poo

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Sydin posted:

Honestly Andromeda was worse for the series than ME3's ending debacle. Yeah a lot of Capital G Gamers were more vocally angry about the latter, but had Bioware successfully managed their pseudo-spin off then they could have done a whole new series in the new galaxy and just soft-not talked about what went down in the original trilogy. But now they've seemingly poisoned the well for any kind of spin off and have defaulted to trying profit off nostalgia with a remaster collection and a direct sequel.

The remaster is a massive missed opportunity to just retcon the ending and pave the way for the sequel and more spinoffs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Yeah, EA and Bioware probably could have salvaged the Mass Effect brand even after Andromeda but then they put the entire studio to work on Anthem instead, lmao.

They are also still doing this "Anthem Reloaded" nonsense thats going to go nowhere, because the game is unfun and flawed at a deeply fundamental level

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
To me it wasn't the blandness of the writing but the sheer nonsense of it. Like you arrive to this whole new galaxy full of mysteries and wonders and whoops its actually already full! Of people from your own galaxy! Also you make first contact with these aliens but uh they've been hanging out with people from the milky way for like at least a year lmao. The Nexus acts likes it so drat tough to set up colonies yet the Krogans and a bunch of rando mutineers did it no problem too, what do they even need a pathfinder for.

Game woulda been better if they just set it like 15 years after the Andromeda Initiative arrived and things were already set up and hoppin', then the Kett shows up

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

Also the one with uh... what's his name on Mordin's mission.

And that gunship engineer. I always feel slightly worse about that one but not that much.

No reason to feel bad, he was working too hard

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I thought Ryder was actually a pretty good main character in their own right tbh, in some ways better than Shepard. One of the few bright spots of Andromeda

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Javik is the fuckin man. For all ME you hear about how the Protheans were this great wise race. Then the first Prothean you meet is a total dick and a professional troll, and the Protheans were space imperialists.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Last King posted:

actually kind of insane that ea (lol) is making more sense than what's left of bioware.

they haven't put anything good out in how many years now? at this point, i wouldn't even trust them if they somehow got the old me team back together and tried again.

Maybe the old ME team just got lucky. Me1 had a lot of jank badness in it tbh, and in fact it was on track to be Andromeda levels of bad until they decided it would be ok to just half rear end the procedurally generated worlds that no one would care about.

They should grow the universe with some smaller games before diving back into some big games IMO. Like how Star Wars Squadrons is an inexpensive, bite size piece of fun. Give us some side stories that dont involve saving the whole god drat galaxy

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Outpost22 posted:

This just goes to show the Alliance that you shouldn't promote some one just because they were the sole survivor of a massacre. At least the species that survived ended the next cycle thanks to Liara's beacons. :unsmith:

Zaeed is literally an in game nod to this lol. Like every one of his stories ends with "and I was the only one to make jt out alive". Make him fireteam leader and he fucks it up

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Android Blues posted:

The ending is deeply flawed and Synthesis is vague nonsense and the whole "inevitable extinction of organics at the hands of synthetics" isn't particularly resonant with the themes of the story, but yeah, I do think a lot of the dismay was in part a reaction just to "Shepard dies at the end and it's not really a clean-cut happy ending" - which isn't actually a problem storytelling-wise.

Eh, I think it is a problem though. The whole conceit of the games is that Your Choices Matter, and ME2 had a whole gamut ranging from everyone dies to everyone lives and it was a gut punch if you hosed up and lost a favorite character. ME3 needed to have a range of endings including a happy ending if you did everything well.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
24 had a lot more reach than west wing and basically normalized the idea of torturing folks because what if theres a ticking time bomb !!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
IMO, ME3 would have been better if they didnt explain the reapers. Theyre just extragalactic genocidal assholes for completely alien reasons. Then instead of the crucible, victory is about only the military strength Shepars gathers. Get enough military strength and get sick cutscenes of the united galactic militaries owning teh poo poo out of the reapers and good epilogue slides. Not enough military strength, watch everyone die tragic deaths. And anywhere in betwren that

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Randomly remembered that shepards terrifying vision of the future in the prothean beacon is a bunch of pizza cheese melting on a motherboard, oh for the days when bioware had no money.

Pizza cheese melting on my motherboard is a terrifying thought tho

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Tirranek posted:

...How are you doing this? :stare:

Gamers rose up my man

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Thats not usually a good sign.

ME3's ending already led to Donald Trump. If ME:LE is a disaster . . .

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Would've been nice for the Asari to have asked their secret Prothean VI if the Reapers were actually real.

They probably did but much like real world politicians facing existential threats like coronavirus or climate change, they filed it away for later to do nothing about. The council's reaction to the reaper threat has aged very well tbh.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zat posted:

ME3 doesn't really introduce any new major characters that I can think of, certainly no one memorable.

Javik on life support reading this post rn

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Imo Andromeda would have been better if it took place like 50 or 100 years after the arks arrived at set up a functioning society

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Didn't lots of people actually get a bunch of folks killed on the suicide mission? You dont hear about it because folks posting about games on the internet probably do all the missions. But normies dont.

Also I got Garrus killed when ME2 first released, my only casualty. Id taken him on every mission in ME1 and ME2 so it really sucked

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Me2's gameplay was way better than ME1 imo except for Adepts. The skills in Me2 mostly felt more impactful and the guns felt a lot better

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

omg chael crash posted:

I am going to replay Mass Effect Andromeda

It was fun at times but just don't think too hard about any of it

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Hardly willfully perverse. In the original ending, all the mass effect relays loving explode. No relays, no FTL. No FTL, anyone not within sublight of a habitable planet loving starves, as does anyone dextrochiral on or in an laevro planet, or vice versa, and the Citadel was in orbit around Earth, so hey, gently caress you every Quarian and Turian who was on it.

there is FTL without mass relays, that's how you travel between star systems. the mass relay just takes you to the clusters.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kurieg posted:

A reminder, Humans stepped onto the galactic stage within Shepard's lifetime, he was 3 during the first contact war. The Prothean ruins on Mars were discovered only 37 years prior to ME2/3.

Mass Effect's timeline is so jacked up imo. The Council races have been at it for like thousands of years. Then the humans step in outta nowhere, militarily equal to the current galactic military superpower in technology and tactics, and rapidly growing. Games woulda made more sense like 100 or 200 years after first contact.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Would you let her babysit your kids?

She ends up doing pretty well with the Grissom Academy kids though?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i only got one person killed on the mission, and it was garrus

:(

i put miranda in charge of the biotic shield

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Andromeda had great gunplay and I loved the class building, and I did think colonizing the planets and having that sense of progress was kind of cool. I didnt even mind the companions.

The open world really was awful and ruined it though. And the story was just nonsensical.

I wish we could just have a lower stakes game in the Mass Effect universe. Maybe you dont have to save the whole galaxy, its enough to be a down-on-your-luck pirate out for revenge or something.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

has there ever been a story where the mysterious, unknowable, unexplainable, too-far-beyond-human-comprehension thing is explained and its actually satisfying and cool

I think Blindsight by Peter Watts did this well

The aliens are intelligent, but not self aware, and it is as impossible for us to understand their minds as for them to understand us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's really funny to me when universal translators work on a brand new alien language in real time from the very first word

thats because its a universal translator, not a some people some times translator