Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A great list of mods, but there's a couple I'd add to them, especially for ME1 Quality of Life updates:

MASS EFFECT 1
Charted Worlds - Adds a purchasable scanner upgrade to the Normandy shop that reveals the location of minerals/anomalies/ect. on landable world maps to cut down on wasted time exploring.
Galaxy Map Trackers - Adds Mass Effect 2/3-style flags to Galaxy Map locations for side quests.
Keepers Finders - Adds mission objective markers to all the Keepers on the Citadel for the quest "Scan the Keepers".
Adams Consistency Mod - Removes Normandy chief engineer Greg Adams's dress uniform and puts him in regular fatigues like he sports in Mass Effect 3.
N7 MAKO - Increases the Mako's attack power, shield and hull durability, and stability. Fully compatible with Improved Mako.
Casual Hubs For ME1 - Implements an ME3 style armor/casual attire system for hubs like the Citadel and Port Hanshan on Noveria, including casual outfits for Garrus and Wrex.
Same-Gender Romances for ME1 - Unlocks same-sex romantic options. Male Shepards can romance Kaidan, and Female Shepards can romance Ashley.
Covered Clothing - Most of the options in this mod are needlessly prudish, but the one for Benezia is really good and covers up her embarrassing boob window.

MASS EFFECT 2
Casual Hubs For ME2 - Adds a variety of outfit options for all squad members for hubs like the Citadel, Normandy, and Omega.
HUD Icon Fixes - ME2 DLC Weapons - Fixes the placement of DLC weapon icons on the HUD.
Joker Wears Cerberus Fatigues - Fixes a weird glitch in Tali's loyalty mission where Joker shows up in his ME1 outfit for the opening scene of the mission.
No More Butt Shots - Removes the skeevy rear end-focused camera angles in dialog scenes with Miranda.
Remove Shared Power Cooldown - Implements Mass Effect 1 style individual power cooldowns for Shepard and squad.
No Minigames - Exactly what it says on the tin.
Mass Effect 1 Style Object Selector - Replaces the square shaped selector icon with the round (O)-shaped one from ME1 and ME2.

MASS EFFECT 3
Immersive Thessia Mod - Made by the author of Priority: Earth Overhaul Mod, aimed at making Priority: Thessia more engrossing and impactful. Will overwrite any changes made to Thessia made by Project Variety.
Ambient Audio Overhaul Mod - Also made by the author of PEOM, aims to restore most of the ambient audio to various locations across the game that were cut or just not implemented because lol EA crunch.
F.I.S.H. Mod - Allows you to reunite with Kelly Chambers on the Citadel even if you didn't sexually harass her into feeding your fish for you in ME2.
Citadel Epilogue Mod - Strips out all references to the Reapers, Cerberus, and the war from the Citadel DLC to allow it to act as an epilogue for ME3. Has patches for various ending mods like MEHEM, JAM, CEM, and LIME.
Better Journal - Updates the objective markers in the Journal entries to reflect the changes made by Expanded Galaxy Mod.
Allers Redone - Gives Diana Allers a visual overhaul, including a better face texture, less makeup, and a classier dress/jacket more beffiting a news reporter.
Jacob Gets Sucker Punched - Replaces FemShep's weakass slap Renegade interrupt in the Citadel DLC with a full on right hook. Mod also allows a non-romanced FemShep and BroShep to haul off and deck Jacob as well. Because Jacob deserves it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Just gonna repost this because it kind of got lost on the last page

nine-gear crow posted:

A great list of mods, but there's a couple I'd add to them, especially for ME1 Quality of Life updates:

MASS EFFECT 1
Charted Worlds - Adds a purchasable scanner upgrade to the Normandy shop that reveals the location of minerals/anomalies/ect. on landable world maps to cut down on wasted time exploring.
Galaxy Map Trackers - Adds Mass Effect 2/3-style flags to Galaxy Map locations for side quests.
Keepers Finders - Adds mission objective markers to all the Keepers on the Citadel for the quest "Scan the Keepers".
Adams Consistency Mod - Removes Normandy chief engineer Greg Adams's dress uniform and puts him in regular fatigues like he sports in Mass Effect 3.
N7 MAKO - Increases the Mako's attack power, shield and hull durability, and stability. Fully compatible with Improved Mako.
Casual Hubs For ME1 - Implements an ME3 style armor/casual attire system for hubs like the Citadel and Port Hanshan on Noveria, including casual outfits for Garrus and Wrex.
Same-Gender Romances for ME1 - Unlocks same-sex romantic options. Male Shepards can romance Kaidan, and Female Shepards can romance Ashley.
Covered Clothing - Most of the options in this mod are needlessly prudish, but the one for Benezia is really good and covers up her embarrassing boob window.

MASS EFFECT 2
Casual Hubs For ME2 - Adds a variety of outfit options for all squad members for hubs like the Citadel, Normandy, and Omega.
HUD Icon Fixes - ME2 DLC Weapons - Fixes the placement of DLC weapon icons on the HUD.
Joker Wears Cerberus Fatigues - Fixes a weird glitch in Tali's loyalty mission where Joker shows up in his ME1 outfit for the opening scene of the mission.
No More Butt Shots - Removes the skeevy rear end-focused camera angles in dialog scenes with Miranda.
Remove Shared Power Cooldown - Implements Mass Effect 1 style individual power cooldowns for Shepard and squad.
No Minigames - Exactly what it says on the tin.
Mass Effect 1 Style Object Selector - Replaces the square shaped selector icon with the round (O)-shaped one from ME1 and ME2.

MASS EFFECT 3
Immersive Thessia Mod - Made by the author of Priority: Earth Overhaul Mod, aimed at making Priority: Thessia more engrossing and impactful. Will overwrite any changes made to Thessia made by Project Variety.
Ambient Audio Overhaul Mod - Also made by the author of PEOM, aims to restore most of the ambient audio to various locations across the game that were cut or just not implemented because lol EA crunch.
F.I.S.H. Mod - Allows you to reunite with Kelly Chambers on the Citadel even if you didn't sexually harass her into feeding your fish for you in ME2.
Citadel Epilogue Mod - Strips out all references to the Reapers, Cerberus, and the war from the Citadel DLC to allow it to act as an epilogue for ME3. Has patches for various ending mods like MEHEM, JAM, CEM, and LIME.
Better Journal - Updates the objective markers in the Journal entries to reflect the changes made by Expanded Galaxy Mod.
Allers Redone - Gives Diana Allers a visual overhaul, including a better face texture, less makeup, and a classier dress/jacket more beffiting a news reporter.
Jacob Gets Sucker Punched - Replaces FemShep's weakass slap Renegade interrupt in the Citadel DLC with a full on right hook. Mod also allows a non-romanced FemShep and BroShep to haul off and deck Jacob as well. Because Jacob deserves it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

Lots of speculation

:speculate:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One thing I’d like to see but I know will definitely never happen is for them to implement the same contextual name recognition system that Andromeda had where if you use the default names for Shepard, characters would call you either John or Jane where appropriate like they do with Scott and Sarah Ryder.

Though it would mean getting basically the whole cast back together though and re-voicing a ton of dialog, and you’d have to leave Zaeed’s lines as is because Robin Sachs is dead :smith:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
People have noticed that Pinnacle Station was absent from the DLC bundle list for Legendary Edition and that’s because the source code for it is corrupt.

BioWare farmed it out to Demirgue Studios back in the day, so when they asked for the code from them for the remaster, they found it was completely unreadable. And according to Mac Walters, he of the “pick your favourite colour” ending, it would take them another six months just to rebuild the DLC from scratch. Which doesn’t exactly sound right, but whatever, BioWare is lazy as poo poo and has a long track record of being lazy as poo poo.

I don’t think many people actually liked Pinnacle Station anyway, so it’s probably not a big loss. I just liked the apartment you could win for Shepard at the end of it, even if getting there was a miserable slog.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357083291313037312?s=20
Good poo poo, I was always paranoid about passing the checks for the companion arguments specifically (even though it was totally fine most of the time).

The Miranda/Jack reputation check was also bugged at the time of its release so that it was literally impossible to pass if Miranda was already loyal at the time of Jack’s loyalty mission. The Paragon option would never unlock, but the renegade option sometimes would, so you either had to go renegade or lose one of their loyalties.

If I recall correctly, it was patched on the PC version to fix it, but it never got a console patch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

I don't recall that at all playing on PS3, never had a problem passing that check as a paragon.

Also unlocked every MP gun but some are stuck at like 2 because the RNG loving hates me :(

I think it might have been only on the Xbox 360 then, because I remember my first run through the game neither Paragon or Renegade prompts appeared and I was playing with an imported ME1 character who had the reputation bonuses.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

i did the same and my experience was much the same.

i had fun, in short. glad i got it super on sale haha. kept my expectations low.

I did the same over the summer and fall of 2017 shortly after its release. I got it for like 45% off on Origin during EA's post-release panic right after the big patch for it dropped that fixed a lot of the poo poo people set their hair on fire over and implemented the Scott/Jaal romance option. So when I played it I was like "Huh, I don't really see what all the fuss was about, this seems pretty decent."

I just wish it kept up the same level of quality it did in its first 4-6 hours, because once you leave Aya things seriously stall out and just coast till the end with minor exciting blips here and there.

Basically, I was expecting the Mass Effect version of Stargate: Atlantis and it got like 80% there so I was mostly happy with it. But fuuuuuuck that side quest with the lady who traveled all around the Helius Cluster like 80 times in a week being some kind of white boomer Karen super spreader for her dumb virus. That quest killed my desire to keep playing the game cold and made me rush to Meridian to just loving end it already.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

Those of you who recently played Andromeda again, is it realistic to try and play through it without doing all the stupid open world bullshit? It's available on EA Play now just not sure if I want to get started on it just to find out I have to do 374372843 fuckin fetch quests that don't advance the plot

Most of the side quests have no real bearing on the plot or the ending, and since the Andromeda storyline has been cauterized by BioWare and EA, there's no worry in skipping any of them or leaving them unfinished, especially if they seem like they're bullshit, like the aforementioned 25-step "Track down this sick lady, oops she's been everywhere like 90 times somehow" near-endgame quest.

Main storyline Andromeda is charming enough and relatively quick that it's at least worth a play though. If you can get it for cheap or free, by all means go for it. But I'd also recommend browsing the Nexus mods catalog and scooping up as many quality of life-improving mods from there as you can, because the modding community really went to town fixing a bunch of things EA just gave the gently caress up on.

If you want, I can put together a curated mod list for Andromeda like Lt. Danger did for ME1-2-3 to help get started.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Syrinxx posted:

If this isn't a massive pain in the rear end I'd love to know which mods make the game more of a linear/contained story (yes I'm one of the weirdos who really liked DA2) and allow someone to just play through it without all the stupid fluff

REQUIRED
Frosty Tool Suite - The program needed to load and deploy mods into Mass Effect: Andromeda (and any EA game that runs on the Frostbite Engine).

GENERAL GAMEPLAY OVERHAULS
MEA Performance Tweaks - General gameplay performance and stability improvements.
MEA Fixpack - Fixes a bunch of little errors and issues that BioWare gave up on and left unpatched.
More Skill Points Per Level - Lets you level up skills faster.
DLC Weapons Rank V With Rank X Stats - Brings the DLC weapons previously capped at Level V stats in line with the regular weapons by scaling their status to normal Level X levels.
Better Squad - Ups squad damage, health and skills to bring them closer to par with Ryder.
100 Font Andromeda (Actually See Words) - Increases Andromeda's teeny tiny font size to readable levels.
Audiolog Positional Audio Fix - Fixes positional audio balancing issues.
Right In The Eye - Fixes conversation camera angles.
Hyper Mobility - Greatly increases player sprinting/jumping/hover jet abilities.

PLOT FIXES
Nakmor Drack Clutch Moment Mission Always Available - Unlocks Drack's final companion mission after you beat the game, regardless of the choice you make during "Hunting the Archon".
Andromeda Romance Mods - Unlocks more romance options for the player.

MODS TO CUT DOWN ON CRAFTING BULLSHIT
Fast Mining - Speeds up resource mining on explorable worlds.
We Had The Blueprints... - Makes research and development super cheap.
Better Loot - Showers you in loot to speed things up.
Tempest Super Store - Unlocks just about every item in the Tempest's onboard store.
Increased AVP and Settlement Perks - Increases the amount of points and perks gained from making habitable worlds viable.

WEAPON/COMBAT BALANCING
Balanced Weapons patch 1.10
Powers Boosted and Balanced
Balanced Melee Weapons
No Scope No Problem - Removes the 50% damage reduction penalty for blind firing sniper rifles.
MP Weapons in SP - Adds multiplayer-exclusive weapons to the game's single player roster.
X5 Ghost Fixed Lights - Fixes the bugged lights on the X5 Ghost rifle.

SMALL STUFF
Weather Mod - Voeld - Makes the weather on Voeld more extreme before completing the Remnant Vault mission.
Nomad 4WD and 6WD New Display Mod - Gives a clearer HUD distinction between 4WD and 6WD modes for the Nomad.

VISUAL OVERHAULS
Better teeth for Angara - Fixes the ugly teeth for Angaran characters.
Default Scott Overhaul - Tweaks Default Male Ryder.
Custom Scott Overhaul- Tweaks Custom Male Ryder.
Default Sara Overhaul - Tweaks Default Female Ryder.
Custom Sara Overhaul - Tweaks Custom Female Ryder.
Addison Tweak - Fixes Foster Addison's infamous tired face.
Young Sloan - Fixes Sloan Kelly's bizarrely wizened default appearance.
Cora and Liam Overhaul - Various hair and outfit tweaks for Cora and Liam.
Alien Squadmates Overhaul Peebee Vetra and Jaal Armors - Various outfit tweaks for Peebee, Vetra, and Jaal.
Initiative Squad Armors - Retextures Drack, Peebee, Vetra, and Jaal's armor to resemble Andromeda Initiative colours + AI logos.
Blue Scanner and Omnitool - Changes the scanner and omnitool colours from orange to blue to fit the game's asthetic.
Blue Tech Armor - Does the same thing with tech armor.
Vetra No Visor - Removes Vetra's weird visor thing.
N7 Logo Replaced with AI Logo - Retextures the N7 Armor seen on Alec Ryder and late-game unlocks with Andromeda Initivitve colours and logos.
fAngara Retex - Adds the same level of skin detail to female Angara as male Angara have.
Colorless Weapon Mods - Stops weapon mods from changing weapon colours for no reason.
Turian Makeover - Fixes a lot of the weird Turian face textures that BioWare's Z-Team thought were acceptable for some reason.
Initiative Colors for Initiative Members - Colour tweaks for Andromeda Initiative NPC outfits. Helps foster a sense of uniformity and professionalism badly needed among the Initiative.
Blue Tempest - Changes the Tempest exterior from red to blue, befitting the game's general style.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Feb 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
More good news on the modding front:

https://twitter.com/macwalterslives/status/1357142809980010497

The LE team is going to be co-ordinating with various modders to teach them how to port their existing mods into Legendary Edition. So that'll probably be stuff like ReCalibrated, Expanded Galaxy, Happy Ending Mod, Priority Earth Overhaul and Project Variety.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

they should make it so legion is the one that finds you like they planned. literally the best part of 2 and they stick him at the end of the game and then make him robot jesus.

Yeah, Leigon REALLY should have shown up on the Collector Ship instead of the Reaper corpse.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DourCricket posted:

This is now the most exciting part of the LE. The mod scene for ME3 is just crazy good for a game with no official tools at all, I was very worried about losing that.

I hope they walk their talk at least, because right now the person behind the most widely used mod manager and creator toolset in use by the modding community is straight up like "Um, nobody's talked to me about anything yet."

https://twitter.com/Mgamerz/status/1357152746739093505

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Star Child was very obviously lying about the Geth. Sorry that you got punk'd.

That seems to be the most fan-accepted option. Destroy is canon, but the Star Child is full of poo poo so EDI, the geth, and Shepard survive, bite me, etc.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 4, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Eh, it's fine, they can just reboot her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

Did someone make a mod to have SAM stfu every time the temp changes 5 degrees? That seems like a must-have.

They did indeed: Shut up SAM.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

je1 healthcare posted:

As long as Jacob's rear end is still visible I'm good.

The priiiiiiiiize

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

There’s been a select few actors whose deaths have really bummed me out when I heard about them. Robin Sachs was one of them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
rear end EFFECT

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I wish you could see it like I do, Shepard... perfect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

blackmongoose posted:

you say this like there are any companions that aren't war criminals

Let's go in order, shall we,

• Kaidan: Murdered a teacher in school.
  • Ashley: Space racist.
  • Garrus: Rogue cop and later brutal vigilante.
  • Wrex: Thousands of years of war crimes to his name.
  • Tali: Helps her father perpetuate genocide and subjugation of a sentient race.
  • Liara: Becomes the head of an information laundering syndicate that perpetuates all manner of abuse great and small.
  • Miranda: Biocrimes and necromancy.
  • Jerrid: uuuuuuh
  • Zaeed: Founded the largest criminal gang in the galaxy, entire life is one unending string of war crimes.
  • Kasumi: Larceny isn't a war crime.
  • Mordin: Helped engineer and deploy a sterility virus against an already beaten enemy race.
  • Jack: Defaced a moon, various other crimes that landed her in prison for life.
  • Thane: Literal assassin.
  • Samara: Has killed entire cities of people hunting one of her own daughters, and locked her other two daughters up for being genetically abnormal.
  • Grunt: Perfect special boy.
  • Legion: See Grunt.
  • EDI: Sentient spyware made from the ground up bits of eldritch biomech horrors from beyond the stars.
  • James: We do not besmirch the name of James Vega is this house, pleas leave.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

"I MADE A MISTAKE!" is the best line in ME3 and I always go down the path to get it.

I'm so torn because I love the seashells line, but that dialog path, finally getting Mordin to say what he always knew was right is just too good to pass up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

who tf is Jerrid.

also where is Morinth?? shameful list

You know, Jason, the boring guy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah and his famous line:

Heavy calories, but the friiiiiiiies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWF_QsuetA&t=77s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Psion posted:

I'm not sure what's more sad: people being unable to give up their irrational anger over a video game ending 9 years later or people thinking calling Jacob something other than his name is the height of comedy 11 years later

Who?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

barring Zaeed and Vega most human teammates are pretty dull though. that's just Mass Effect

I'd add Jack to that list, but you need both ME2 and ME3 to make that statement true. Zaeed and James pulled that off in just one game a piece.

Oxxidation posted:

samara's VA being billie eilish's mom is one of the weirder things i have learned recently

She (Maggie Baird) also used to cosplay as Samara and attend conventions incognito with her daughter, iirc.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ajkalan posted:

I honestly never had a problem with Jacob until he called Garrus a "cuttlebone" in a jealous romance dialogue and that made that love-interest decision much easier.

Oh my god, I didn't even know about this. Man, gently caress Jacob, what a shithead.

E: Not even Ashley gets jealous of/racist against Liara. She's just like "I want to be exclusive, so pick a side rear end in a top hat."

E2: Upon rewatching the scene, Ashley does in fact get mildly racist against Liara, but not to the point of dropping slurs like Jacob does.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 6, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I rotated people pretty consistently across each game, usually bringing characters who felt appropriate for plot missions, like Liara and Wrex for Noveria, etc, or Zaeed on Garrus’s ME2 recruitment mission. But I usually always tried to bring Vega on drat near every mission in ME3 aside from like Thessia because he was such a fun squad mate for banter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Radio Free Kobold posted:

who even thought kai leng was a good idea? he's like a bad fanfiction character.

I actually like Kai Leng as a character, but I like him because he's so loving stupid and ridiculous and weird. He rolls over into being funny as hell with his dumbshit antics and I can't imagine Mass Effect 3 without him now. That petty dipshit "lol i made u read this shepard" email after Thessia is just the best. I always crack up when I see it in the inbox.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

Really I would love to have Garrus on sniper overwatch or Tali hacking poo poo from the ship

Yeah, the Archive run in the Citadel DLC proved that something like that was at least feasible to make the whole team's presence felt and it's a little sad that that wasn't a consistent thing throughout the games.

I do find myself abusing the poo poo out of ce hench_picksquad on the PC version for ME1 a lot though to rotate folks in and out on the fly depending on the situation. And it's a drat shame you can't do the same in ME2 and 3 without breaking the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

OhFunny posted:

The best thing in ME3 is your squad interacts with each other on the Normandy between missions instead of standing in their corners for the whole game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu9_HG_Nhck

That was the moment when I went "God, I wish Vega was there all the way from the start."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Doctor Nutt posted:

There's a mod for this and iirc most of the missions even had dialogue recorded. Like there's a ton of Legion dialogue for missions that it's impossible to take him on in an unmodded game.

Yeah, ME2Recalibrated lets Thane and Samara be recruited right after Freedom's Progress, and by extension unlocks Illium right from the start as well. Leigon, meanwhile, can be safely added into the party with a save editor at any time after Freedom's Progress as well and has dialog recorded for literally every mission in the game that will play without issue. The only caveats are you can't bring him to the Derelict Reaper or it will crash the game, and his Normandy idle dialog tree is locked until you beat his loyalty mission, so there's no point in going down to the AI core to visit him until then.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blue Raider posted:

I was expecting some kind of 2001 type abstract/metaphorical/ambiguous ending, which is what we got except as lovely as possible.

The original ending was based around what was set up in Tali's recruitment mission in ME2. The mass effect itself was literally causing the fabric of space to unravel thanks to all the dark energy it produced as a byproduct, and it was causing stars to age multitudes faster than they should and preventing new stars from forming, thus exponentially hastening the heat death of the universe.

The Reapers turned out to be a massive no-quater failsafe against this happening, designed to monitor the galaxy (maybe even the universe) for signs civilizations had figured out how to use the mass effect and then swoop in from dark space and obliterate them in order to tamp down on the use of the mass effect and buy the universe a little more time to exist on a grand scale.

The original ending would have been focused on the morality of continuing to use mass effect technology, the cost of developing alternatives, if that's even possible, grappling with the true nature of the reapers and the mass effect, and the question of whether or not the civilizations of the galaxy actually did deserve to die because they were literally killing the universe with their actions.

It was a global warming analogy.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sally posted:

Gonna keep comin' to bat for ME:A i guess... but the game was real good about this. the squad hung out all over the ship. they'd move around, or spawn in different locations, and strike up conversations you could overhear and join in on. the ship also had a message board that updated (not frequently enough!) throughout the game.

then there was the fact that there was a buttload of dialogue recorded for every squad combofor when you were driving around planets.

The only thing I think Andromeda dropped the ball on in that regard was how it handled the non-player Ryder sibling. Telling them to go stand in the corner and face the wall on the Nexus and not do anything or talk to anyone except their sibling was REALLY lovely and they should have had them either on the Tempest with you as an NPC or as another squadmate to go on missions with. Or even better, make them both the Pathfinder and let you swap between them at your leisure.

Especially because the entire endgame is based around the sibling you didn't pick to play as, so you have your whole party suddenly extremely concerned about a person who none of them really know or have even interacted with, and it's really loving weird.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 7, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pattonesque posted:

see normally I'd figure that might be a reason but she even expresses sympathy toward Liara after Thessia and everything! I think they just dropped the ball

Mass Effect 3 Ashley was Actually Kinda Good, at least as far as a non-Vega/non-Zaeed/non-Jack human squadmate goes. Kaidan was still boring as poo poo, but I'm trying an experiment with my most recent FemShep run to see if romancing him makes him any more interesting. Doubtful, but I need to find out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I know I’m alone but, I never had an issue with ME3’s ending. Also, Kai Leng is fine. He fits right into the same goofy super hero poo poo Shepard and crew have been doing since ME1. It’s also satisfying when old dying Thane beats his rear end.

Also Shep shattering his dumb Hiro Protagonist sword and stabbing him with an omniblade is fantastic.

"This is for Thane, you son of a bitch!" :hellyeah:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DourCricket posted:

This I think would be a mistake. Illusive Man is a much better as a 'chessmaster' villain, not one who is actually any physical threat to the player. Having your last encounter with him just be a dialog battle (of which they should have taken a lot of notes from the previous year's Human Revolution) is the best way to end.

That was BioWare's reasoning too. On The Illusive Man's character page in the Art of Mass Effect artbook, there's a sketch of a big giant Reaperfied hulk TIM that they thought was going to be the final boss of ME3 and it didn't take them long to realize no wait, this is stupid, TIM is a cerebral villain, not a physical one so you should talk him death instead of fighting another big dumb robot.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I just want a game where your space Barbies go *pew pew pew* and are friends and kiss

I remember a certain internet film reviewer whom I no longer watch because he turned out to be a massive shithead went to one of the Barbie cgi movies for shits and giggles and it was like Barbie In Space or some poo poo and he was like "This is just Mass Effect. Barbie is Commander Shepard, and this is her favourite store on the Citadel." So you're not far off there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Shepard: I've had enough of your bad posts. *spends ten minutes writing a sick burn*

I’ve had enough of your disingenuous shitposting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moola posted:

Why did this good post earn a probation lol?

Spending a year “on probation” is a popular tax dodge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Moola posted:

The real mass effect was inside us all along

Not at anymore. I went to the bathroom like 20 minutes ago so I no longer have a mass within me. It was very effective though.