Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't think a soundtrack from a game has ever been as burned into my brain as the Mass Effect theme is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVm_ljDSdwA&t=59s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'd really like for the remaster to be a success because I think I have one more playthrough of the ME series in me but at this point I'd be a fool to believe it will be anything other than an unmitigated disaster. Anyone who pre-orders it is a moron that's just not capable of learning from past mistakes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Lt. Danger posted:

apparently Bioware are running a survey about whether to change parts of the ME3 story? probably just a dumb publicity stunt but might be worth checking out https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/2BDQ5B3

It's coming out in May anything that they're changing they've already changed.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Error 404 posted:

The story was bad, very few memorable or even likeable characters, and constant janky loving animations but...

Gameplay-wise (powers and combos and pew pew and poo poo) I think Andromeda was the best ME.

Thank you for reading my hot take.

My read is that in ME the story is the gameplay. The shooting a mini-game to break things up a little. I spent way more time on the ship talking to people about the missions than I did in the actual missions.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Never forget that Casey Hudson and some other hack locked themselves in a room to hash out the ending without any input from others.

You're god drat right. Whoever let them out is still at large!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

What does it even mean when they turn every Geth into an individual? Like, are there suddenly thousands of Geth granted individual sentience in each server? Are the processes forcibly amalgamated into groups of however many you need to make something like Legion? Is each Geth platform turned into an individual? It strikes me as a pretty horrible thing to do to the Geth. Like if someone turned all of your brain cells into a separate, sentient organism.

Have to say, time has made me kinder to the Mass Effect 3 ending. The Extended Cut still sucks, but I think the idea they were getting at - that synthetic life will inevitably outcompete organic life and render it extinct - is interesting. The problem is, people seemed to think that Shepard making the Geth and Quarians play nice is something that will inevitably hold for all time. And that, in say a year or ten years or a hundred, that some idiot Quarian won't try to wipe the Geth out again. And I think Legion even says that every single time the Quarians have felt they had the high ground, they've attacked the Geth. Which, as we see in ME3, just about ends with the extinction of their species.

Geth aren't necessarily conscious or self-aware. They're computer programmes that do different things but can work together to become more complex programmes. The better analogy is if all your braincells went from being separate unconscious parts to working together to create the you that you perceive as a single conscious being.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Isn't the whole point of video games to experience things you can't do in real life? I can be polite and helpful every day but I can't haul off and belt an obnoxious reporter in the face or be racist to a jellyfish.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Funky Valentine posted:

Cartoonist evil is more enjoyable than 'nuanced' evil.

I didn't learn how to shoot lightning from my hands and turn my eyes yellow just to have a good reason for committing evil.

It's true Ben Garrison's particular brand of villainy is pretty enjoyable.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Does anyone know what that ending supposedly was?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Did everything in the galaxy get ...nanobots? I'm not sure how the synthesis was supposed to work. Algae, amoeba, ants, anthrax, and so on and so forth etc?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Am I misremembering or is there a scene towards the end of ME3 where if you get the Leviathans as a war asset there's a brief scene of one fighting a Reaper and it looks ridiculous because neither of them have forward facing limbs?

I think I must be confusing this scene with something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHA3p4kMqcw

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Feb 11, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Shepherd at the end of ME3 seems like they've got a concussion, is bleeding to death, and generally doesn't know where they are or what they're doing.

IIRC there's dialogue along the lines of "I..I don't know. What should I do?"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Hopefully technology has advanced to the point where players can choose to sexually harass any of their subordinates. From the janitor to the vice captain? I feel I should fess up I really have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to titles and responsibilities in these games.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i think its clear, they are gonna make some variety of destroy the canon ending. also it wouldnt shock me if they add some new "after credit" scene.

I think that's wishful thinking. I sincerely doubt they're going to add anything in terms of content. Assume they'll do the absolute bare minimum to call it a remaster and be pleasantly surprised at anything beyond that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh so Ensign Anal and Ensign Deepthroat were cut characters from ME2. I'd always wondered about that.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ajkalan posted:

I always end up saving Ashley because the sad music doesn't play past the post-mission briefing if you save Kaiden for some reason :shrug:

I always save Ashley because we bonded over our shared disdain for big stupid jellyfish.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I just fired up Andromeda again because maybe this time around I know what to expect so it won't be so bad. As soon as I got to "*gasp* We made it." it all came flooding back. Made as far as the first moment the UI lock ended and I could quit to desktop.

E: I want to play a space game dammit. Are there any hidden good ones out there?

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 13, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

thrilla in vanilla posted:

Play Metroid prime trilogy

That does not appear to be on steam. Seems like Everspace 2 (which is early access) or Star Wars Squadron (I hate everything star wars) are all there really is.

It's weird how few space games there are!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TheCenturion posted:

All this talk of space carriers and FreeSpace 2 making me miss Wing Commander something fierce.

I have 4 on Origin. It sort of holds up and it's still kind of playable. Except it uses archaic arrow buttons to move instead of WASD and you can't remap the keys. Which undoes what I just said about it "sort of holding up" and being "kind of playable."

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Strategic Tea posted:

Here's another Andromeda head scratcher.

So SAM is supposed to be a game changing illegal AI, fully sapient but symbiotic with its human host, a genuine friend, and maybe an answer to the first game's question of whether intelligent AI can ever cooperate sustainably with meatbags.

So why did the voice director gave him act flat, monotone and servile for the entire game? Beep boop Ryder, minerals located. Bloop borp, you died but I reactivated your heart.

General Audiences. "Will they understand that SAM/EDI is a computer if he doesn't have a computer voice?"

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Sydin posted:

I had not heard that, and I hope it's true. As much as Bioware has become a laughingstock under EA, Mass Effect was a genuinely inspired setting and another competent game in that setting would rule.

Don't do this to yourself. Yes it would be great but that's not what's going to happen.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Android Blues posted:

Only bad games Bioware has made in recent years are ME:A and Anthem.

Another way to put this is that Bioware has only made bad games in recent years.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It also further demonstrates that despite being in development for, what, 4 or 5 years now they have nothing done. Nothing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Schreier can't even use promotional artwork for DA4 in his article about DA4 because there isn't any so he's gotta use 8 year old stuff from DAI.😂

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rinkles posted:

There was a teaser iirc

Yup. No in game assets, a weird mural behind Solas that looks like the clown from the IT remake, and no DA4 logo.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Codependent Poster posted:

GaaS games are loving terrible and need to die.

Good news! They do! Again and again.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It should look like a game that came out this year not 5 or 6 years ago. Otherwise, why bother?

I mean I know why to bother because people will buy it but, still, nevertheless.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess, but I have them all on Origin and you play them one at a time anyway. So the novelty of finishing 1 and then not having to close the game to start 2 would be extremely short lived.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Call me a sceptical Sally but this is due out in under a month and there's not a lot of it out there besides the odd screenshot covered with lens flare and a few very brief gameplay sections from ME1.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If you didn't like it you won't like it. Don't waste your time on something that might not be too bad. There's a bunch of games out there that are just good without any qualifier and that you haven't played before.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rinkles posted:

i realize, but i could do with a "head-in-sand" game atm to get away from some stuff.

Do you own Skyrim and have not played Enderal? It's pretty dope and it's free.

Spacebump posted:

Andromeda has bad level design and killed mission pacing vs the other ME games.

I'm almost hyped enough for Legendary Edition to try Andromeda again...almost.

I though several years and some mods later I might try Andromeda again. I got as far as to when Ryder wakes up and says "We're here" before it all came back to me and uninstalled as soon it I could get out of the cutscene to quit the game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Rinkles posted:

yes and yes (haven't played it), but for whatever the reason i'm not in the mood for bethesda stuff.

If it's the basic mechanics of a Bethesda game that you mean then I understand but it terms of tone, character progression, and story telling it's very much not a Bethesda game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think they fixed most of that nonsense. I'm afraid now it's just very boring and predictable. You really had to play it at release to fully appreciate it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Title Screen to Aya is really good, and Meridian is really good. Shame about basically everything in between.

When I played it I did all of the viability unlock poo poo first. So I got a mission to go back to the first planet where the game spoiled the ending for me and told me about poo poo I hadn't done yet as though I'd already done it.

Seemlar posted:

The main hurdle of the opening hours of Andromeda is it was the first Mass Effect game in a while where there's no save import, and no "we'll just start your character at level 20 so you can pick up close to where you left off" bonus those came with.

The main hurdle with the opening hours of Andromeda is that it's boring and stupid and everyone sucks especially the person you're going to play for the next 60+ hours.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It feels like a teen drama set in space and almost every character is a teenager. If you think of the characters as a bunch of kids suddenly they don't seem so badly written. Mass Effect: The Academy Years and there's like a whoopsie or something in the quantum field generator and the class got launched into Andromeda, now they have to fend for themselves against the evil... Grorgs? What the hell were the bad guys called? The Keth?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I would have liked and ending where Shepard and the Star Child fight and it looks like the Star Child is going to win but then do you remember how Shepard has like red eyes after Cerberus made him into a robot? Well turns out they gave him eye beams and he uses those to blast the Star Child who falls off the citadel and dies (or does he?) Then Shepard would say something like "I guess we couldn't see eye to eye after all." Anyways that's what I would have done.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Someone on these forums yelled at me once when I said the battle for Palaven was amazing and one of the most epic moments I've ever had in a video game. :(

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 12, 2021

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's just no helping some people. Wait a few days until it's released and people have at least reviewed the thing to confirm that it won't make your computer explode before you give them your money.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Now that it's been out for a while would people recommend getting the legendary edition to someone who already owned all 3 games and all DLC on origin? Am I to understand that beyond some graphical and UI improvements they haven't done anything else? No bugfixes? Does it introduce new bugs?

E: Oh it's only been out for a few weeks. I thought it was over a month. Nevermind I'll come back and ask against after some patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A lot of people have gone back to try MEA and every single one of them was more disappointed than they were the first time. Mod can't save it. I'll be surprised if you made it off the first planet before all the memories of the first time come flooding back and you uninstall it.