Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the best mass effect fan video creation was very obviously this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liudw5xlkU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
hooray, we're all a unique form of life and will never misunderstand each other again! but imagine being a husk and becoming 'alive' during the battle for earth

what's the word for a fantasy realized again? oh yeah, nightmare.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Julius CSAR posted:

Martin Sheen left nothing on the table as TIM and I’m 100% positive he did with a real cigarette and glass of whiskey.

He sounded like he had a blast being just evil as all hell.

he wanted to do it with a real cigarette but bioware made him use a pen lid

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
there was also destiny which had cast peter dinklage as the player character's ghost - a sort of ai assistant made from the last pieces of a dead space-god-sphere. the ghost easily had the most lines in destiny and dinklage delivered them as you might think a dead god ai assistant might sound - kind of grim and detached, almost monotone, with occasional flashes of a sarcastic, withdrawn personality. a being that is emulating human emotions to help you out. given that destiny is this lore-dense post-apocalyptic world, dinklage's voice fit pretty well.

then for whatever reason, perhaps due to game of thrones blowing up, they recast dinklage with nolan north, including a full replacement of any existing lines. nolan north took the ghost in a direction that can best be described as obsessive-compulsive manchild nerd that treats everything like a joke. which, given that ghost has so many lines and even speaks for your character at times, has given the nolan ghost the dubious honor of being the most annoying advisor character I've ever experienced in any game.

it was kinda funny that people who didn't like dinklage's take on the character were like 'can we get dinklage back? this new guy is even worse'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
Shepard. Two weeks ago, a Cerberus cell was tasked with determining how Thresher Maws reacted to the presence of other lifeforms. Unfortunately, it appears that the experiment has exceeded our expectations *takes drag from cigarette* and we've lost contact with the entire team.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
beckenstein is explicitly stated to be a planet that humanity built up quickly due to its prime location as a manufacturing, industrial and trading hub

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Bloody Pom posted:

Shepard-Reaper assimilates the lovely Shepard VI and uplifts it into a fully-fledged SynthShep, bing bong Shepard is alive for Mass Effect 4. :v:

mass effect 3: no shepard, you're not a VI that thinks you're you

mass effect 3: yes, you're a VI that thinks you're shepard

genius

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
bioware didn't even commit to the idea that female turians had bigger and better fringes or whatever than the males did

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

lmfao

"I love the Mass Effect games. I’ll buy and play the Legendary Edition. The series means a lot to me and the horrors of Overlord haven’t completely overridden that, just as the lack of queer romance options, other poor handling of disabled characters, or issues framing women didn’t override my love for the series. "

this is terrible and an atrocity and depiction equals endorsement and I'm going to pay you for it TWICE OVER

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
politicians bad, soldiers good is the message or just about every sci-fi genre story ever written so I'm not sure we can lay this (or gamergate lmfao this thread) at mass effect's feet

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

It's also an RPG though and one reason I love WRPGs is talking things out.

I still really like ME2 and kinda 3 for stuff like Citadel. Again, problematic does not mean worthless or beyond redemption. Still a lot to like about the ME sequels.

Me to Cmdr Shepard: "You did a racism. You did an imperialism. You did a nationalism. You did a xenophobia. You did a white fragility. You did a weak apology. You did a no growth."

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the thing that i'll always remember about mass effect 3 is that it feels like you got less say over what shepard said in conversations and that there were points where it felt like dialogue choices had been removed. feels like a game that was really running up against console hardware limitations and they had to cut it down to the bone in places.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

MechaX posted:

Man, actually getting to the salty Kai Leng hate mail post-Thessia still has me feeling some kind of way.

Like, how in the gently caress did BioWare accidentally create someone this loving lame

mass effect 2, 3 and the eu spawned from it really makes one think that someone thought kai leng, aria, and TIM were the best characters ever

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Sentinel Red posted:

I've always found the snide whinging about the evidence ridiculous. Nothing would have been improved by having a 30 minute forensics scene where everyone sits around the Geth data core with a host of independent technicians verifying that yes, this is a Geth data core, it does not appear to have been tampered with in any recognisable way, and some of the data retrieved is this audio log recording of Saren Arturius and Matriarch Benezia, and Fist was hired by Saren to kill the person who found it. It's definitely real because as you can see here, the 54,000 databits are entirely blah blah blah loving blah Jesus H Christ are people really so incapable of just inferring stuff and filling in the loving blanks? Do they need to have everything explained and spoon fed to them in nauseating detail?

I wanna get the gently caress off the Citadel, fly spaceships and headbutt Krogan, I don't want to have to sit through a bunch of data storage/retrieval experts explaining why it's a genuine piece of data from an AI platform, it's a guddamn videogame.

you're extremely stupid

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
SR3 was awful and the super wackiness verging on parody was a THQ decision, not Volition lmao. all the stuff people remember from SR2 is the startlingly dark parts. everyone's forgotten loving zimos lmao.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

legion and friends was one of the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Liudw5xlkU0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hY8B7Gje4k

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the collectors were building a reaper to try and activate the citadel again because of the necessity of using it to summon the rest of the reapers - it is a last ditch plan. shepard killed sovereign so kill shepard and try again.

the issue isn't with me2, it is with me3 deciding that actually they could just fly in from dark space and catch the galaxy unawares anyway

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Ouroboros posted:

I'm getting into ME3 and I'm starting to feel like a common throughline with the issues in this series is Cerberus. So far in 3 I've spent far more time fighting them than the Reapers, and on any level they are just far less compelling villains. It feels like some of the writers reeaaaally love Cerberus for some reason and shoehorn them in at every opportunity, even when it makes no sense or requires galactic leaps in logic to justify. And for what? They're not compelling adversaries (certainly compared to the Reapers), they're not compelling allies in 2, they're just a stock cartoon supervillain with inexplicably unlimited resources and no clear goal other than 'do evil stuff'. TIM's aims are vague and confused, he supposedly is trying to control the Reapers but he's launching a full scale attack on the Salarian homeworld to stop the genophage cure? Why does he care about this?? Are they all 100% indoctrinated agents of the Reapers, and if so why choose to have them represent the Reaper threat in the moment to moment gameplay when the actual Reapers are right there, way more interesting both visually and conceptually, and don't require a dissertation of headcanon to justify?

That said the individual mission packages have remained pretty good, especially the last two I did (Grissom Academy and Sur'kesh) with a decent portion of worldbuilding and characterisation to go along with the action set pieces. I also appreciate the amount of dialogue with the crew and on the ship, though I'm not a fan of how it feels like a huge portion of dialogue is now railroaded with no decision wheel choices.

it always felt like the writers had a weird desire to push some combination of cerberus/TIM/kai leng/liara to the forefront beyond what the universe established for them, most noticeable in the various eu materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i hit that button once for the reapers, and twice for edi.