Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Funky Valentine posted:

Javik is my favorite Mass Effect because he roasts asari while their planet is getting wrecked.

I do absolutely love the whiplash of "Benevolent advanced being that are trying to save us" setup in ME1 to "Jackass that thinks every one else is scum" in ME3 with the Prothean. Taking Javik and Liara together on Thessia was a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sally posted:

:stare: i clearly stopped playing ME3 multiplayer too soon

Lol, they straight up add the "Biotic God" joke character in a the Volus Adept. At the end the only design mythos seemed to be "gently caress it, whatever, go nuts".

Like the Volus characters were too short to actually use cover and just hanged out behind the waist high barriers. When they died they would roly-poly down any incline and didn't even really have melee attacks.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Oxxidation posted:

i think the balancing act in ME3 is especially finicky, because the bad stuff is so bad and so prevalent. not just the ending, but how facile the quarian/geth conflict became, the stupid kid flashbacks, the weird celebrity cameos like that IGN journalist, the reduction of the big final conflict to a silly stats minigame and a few combat arenas. there's a constant feeling of cheap, sloppy implementation that covers ME3 like a film of grease. the gunplay is the series' best by a mile (the multiplayer is proof of that), tuchanka is still a high point and the additional character interaction is mostly solid, but most of the remaining fun stuff is in the DLC's, at least two of which read like an apology for the ending

God the cop out when you go to the geth cyperspace on not showing what the quarian's look like is now just flooding back to me.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Wait, Andromeda had Zaeed's son and didn't make him a companion? God add one more to the gently caress up pile.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like with tali and garrus, the writers wernt really sure what was going underneath the armor or the suits or whatever. like i am pretty sure tali/quarians were intended to me more cyborgy or whatever,

and do turians even have dicks? are they like reptiles with two or are they like ducks where its like a weird canon thing that shoots out and than disinigrates/falls off.

Turians are evolved hawks / falcons from a planet were every create has some sort of armor cause the planet's thinner ozone layer let in more radiation them normal.

One small but significant bit of world building is that you can tell which species evolved from prey or predators.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Rinkles posted:

which is true for humans?

Yes? It's all in the eyes. Prey species have wider more off set eyes to cover a larger viewing angles while predator species have closer more focused setting to target prey.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Lol it took a bit humans to get there but we are basically the Jason Voorhees of the animal kingdom before even counting tool use.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Lol it's not even space "racisim" from Ashley. She just believes that when push come to shove the various species will look after their own instead of truly helping each other out. And guess what! ME3 proves her right, espically with asari secretly hiding prothean artifacts to get a leg up instead of sharing the knowledge.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sydin posted:

There's an Asari matriarch bartender in ME2 who - if you ask her why a matriarch is slumming it in some Terminus systems bar - will tell you that she pointed out to the other matriarchs hey maybe we should actually do something with this incredible technological edge we have, even maybe try their hand at building their own mass relays, and she got laughed off Thessia for it. Also she rules because her dad was Krogan and she takes after him as much if not more so than her mother.

Fun Fact! That Asari bartender has more and varied faces then all the Asari in ME:A.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

It's honestly the best joke of the series.

But even as far back as ME1, Ashley has a point. The history of the Citadel species is rife with that 'throw the dog to the bear' logic she talks about and Avina flat out calls the species that are not on the Council 'lesser.' Ashley's biggest crime is being a 'serious' sci-fi soldier in a story that doesn't really fit her.

She's an interesting character. A really good example of a RPG character who feels like they had a life before they ended up in the protagonist's sphere of influence. Unfortunately, Bioware listened to the people who said 'racist racist racist' until they passed out because of that bugged (lol) line about the Keepers and stopped creating characters who were anything but Best Friends 4eva.

That is a really great way to put it. A character with actual depth and background and idiots just repeat the same thing over and over again while completely missing the point that writer was trying to go for.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
There would be live streams of people trying to make it through the all Elcor Shakespeare plays. I think the codex said it lasted something like 12 hours?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Best Friends posted:

Jacob is an enigma. You're a decently adjusted chill soldier guy, so you joined space isis? Also Kelly Chambers. All the Cerberus people should have been reactionary freaks like Miranda.

I mean.... Jacob was a state sponsored space pirate for the Alliance so its not that far of a strech that after enough missions he would get fed up and join Cerberus.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I still think of the "what if" game of Garrus building a crew and running around Omega as Archangel. So many possibilities and chances.....

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeah.....that comic needs to be updated showing Bioware shooting themselves in the head. By all reports EA gave them wayyyyyyy to much freedom.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like the central issue to Mass Effect's story as a whole is there was never going to be a satisfying answer to the "why" of the Reapers. They work great as a completely alien enigma whose motivations cannot possibly be understood, but you can't really do a whole trilogy without at least attempting to provide some form of answers. This is probably why just taking it as a stand-alone thing the first game's story works the best, because that is basically the role they play in that plot.

I would have respected the "why" of the Reapers a lot more if it was just as simple as "Cause gently caress You That's Why".

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

bobjr posted:

Shepard becomes a reaper who kills all the other reapers honestly isn't the worst idea on paper

Could have made a whole "God Emperor of Dune" vibe that can really work as the capstone of the series.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Lt. Danger posted:

1) Bioware did do a Mass Effect expanded universe: a bunch of crappy books, mobile games and an anime. bear in mind Bioware isn't Disney and can't churn out multiple games adapted from pre-existing material in rapid succession - Bioware also has Dragon Age and The Old Republic (and Anthem, lmao) IPs to manage, plus whatever other drudge work EA throws its way

2) I remember some market research got leaked after ME3 floating the idea of prequels and sidequels set in the Mass Effect universe, and the fan response was overwhelmingly negative - demanding a proper sequel presumably as a way to force Bioware to own the ME3 ending. hence the choice to start over in Andromeda

Would fans really have a problem with something like Garrus's adventure in Omega between ME1 and ME2? Would be a really fun self contained story with a set beginning and end but wide possibility of characters, plot stories, and fun gameplay inbetween as Garrus gets a crew, tries to make a difference, and then looses it all at the very end with moral choices to make all along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Answering your question will only lead to everyone posting their opinion about Gamergate and not even the mass effect thread deserves that.