Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

LuckyCat posted:

An SA podcast with episodes about the forums history would be cool.

A weekly discussion/recreation of highlights from the goons.txt twitter account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Kerro posted:

So actually though how do podcasts make money, cos all the podcasts I listen to the ads are entirely for other podcasts. Is this just cos I'm getting served non-commercial ads cos I live in a backwater country where we can't actually buy smartbeds or whatever (NZ)?

It is basically all extremely targeted advertising. Pretty much any podcast with ads can have them dynamically inserted at certain places, and with how rabid adtech is, you can do some pretty specific targeting.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Did this have ads when you listened?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I use an ad blocker OP.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't recall any, but there were a couple of midrolls where they inserted some other random promotional thing for their own podcast, or the podcast network.

Using an adblocker won't help, because often the audio file you end up downloading has the ad audio baked right in as well.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

terminal chillness posted:

Turn on your radio :D :D :D

Variations of this though I can say with 100% sincerity will never not be funny.

Tribal Rival
Oct 5, 2008

I am this fiery snail crawling home
Yeah I definitely don't care. If it's not on shortwave I don't gently caress with it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Annoying to have to listen through iTunes (which doesn't have proper UI scaling apparently? Maybe I need to update it.) and it just randomly stopped a few times (gently caress you iTunes)...

But you did a good job there Jeff. Maybe a few too many "like" fillers but your are a programmer and operator of an ancient comedy forum, not a politician or professional speak word talk person.

I'd say you nailed it.

Get the patreon account up man, I'll toss in a fiver every month until we all learn that you like eating human flesh or whatever and need to find a new owner.

Edit: Oh, did a deeper dive and the random stops where when it tried to jam ads in. Either one of the ad blockers or script blockers hosed with it enough that its response is just to stop if it detects it.

gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me. Garbage rear end platform.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 4, 2021

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
When they asked that guy at the beginning "where were you on the internet in 2005?" My answer would be something awful

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Butcher posted:

Annoying to have to listen through iTunes (which doesn't have proper UI scaling apparently? Maybe I need to update it.) and it just randomly stopped a few times (gently caress you iTunes)...
Kinda late for this, but you can just play it through the browser off the website...

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

At the very least, you could have regaled them with simply my posts from the infamously classic "Doug" thread that's currently all the rage here in 'GBS' as we call it.

BigBadSteve posted:

Q. What do you call a guy after you murder him and bury his body but then decide you'd better play it safe and dig up the corpse to dissolve it in a vat of acid?

A. Doug (Dug).

Comedy gold IMO.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

This could work, if there's a goon (or two) with great speaking skills and an ego in check. It's hard to guess who that might be as we're basically clowns who write.

Maybe a mix of history and some of the funniest recent posts.

If the right person for the job is discovered, they should be paid because it would be a heap of work and advertising the Forums.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Didn't they mention a Patreon at some point? Don't remember but I think they did. It's amazing what kind of poo poo people will pay money for if it has people talking in it even if they don't strictly have to.

theparag0n
May 5, 2007

INITIATE STANDING FLIRTATION PROTOCOL beep boop

LuckyCat posted:

Every episode seraph84 somehow joins the recording and screeches incoherently for 30 seconds before being kicked off again

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I'm probably never going to read that it came from something awful book but the more I hear the funnier it sounds

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

there should be a SA podcast where we all talk about how dumb and bad my posting enemies are but they're not allowed to podcast back

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
we've finally made it, we're finally going big time :gbsmith:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

There's nowhere to go but down from here. :smith:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

THE BAR posted:

There's nowhere to go but down from here. :smith:

don't worry, we can make an offsite to migrate too, it's worked so well in the past

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008
owner of the forums cant talk to girls without sounding nervous lmao

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

Slumpy posted:

owner of the forums cant talk to girls without sounding nervous lmao

I guess its an improvement over one that would just start beating them eh?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

lil bip posted:

I guess its an improvement over one that would just start beating them eh?

:rimshot:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

*tugs collar

oooh hooo tough crowd!

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
I just downloaded I'll listen tomorrow, OP

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Twitch posted:

One correction: The guy spearheading swap.avi was absolutely not joking. He just wanted to watch women poo poo in each others' assholes. I bought a CD from him because I thought it was funny at the time.

He also posted a picture of his own poo poo-smeared chest with the words "COMEDY GOLD" written in it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

He also posted a picture of his own poo poo-smeared chest with the words "COMEDY GOLD" written in it.

I applaud anyone so deeply dedicated to a real life "your monitor" joke

1000 Sweaty Rikers
Oct 13, 2005

I didn't know that Triangle Man's posts were the reason for the paywall going up

funny poo poo!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I am very disappointed that Jeffrey was on a podcast called 2 girls 1 podcast, mentioned swap.avi, and didn't mention that it had the same cast and production company as 2 girls 1 cup.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

I'm glad you are out there Jeffrey. Much love.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

I am very disappointed that Jeffrey was on a podcast called 2 girls 1 podcast, mentioned swap.avi, and didn't mention that it had the same cast and production company as 2 girls 1 cup.

They have to already know about two girls one cup or they wouldn't have named that there podcast

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wendigee posted:

They have to already know about two girls one cup or they wouldn't have named that there podcast

They probably didn't know it was the cousin of swap.avi though.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

They probably didn't know it was the cousin of swap.avi though.

I ... What? .... :aaa::aaaaa::eek::stonk:

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah but I thought they were jokes the first one was something about moving to ohio because they have "low taxes" and there were a couple others that seemed on the nose like when leftist podcasts joke that they're sponsored by coca-cola and raetheon.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Listened to that a couple of days ago and you did well Jeff, I appreciate that both sides were professional enough to avoid sliding into the Lowtax saga and kept focused on SA as this weird little clubhouse we have to make dick jokes and occasionally have fun.
Pity they didn't interview a couple more goons to get a deeper overview of some of the forums and how they each have their own thing but I can see how that may be too much for a casual podcast.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

By popular demand posted:

Listened to that a couple of days ago and you did well Jeff, I appreciate that both sides were professional enough to avoid sliding into the Lowtax saga and kept focused on SA as this weird little clubhouse we have to make dick jokes and occasionally have fun.
Pity they didn't interview a couple more goons to get a deeper overview of some of the forums and how they each have their own thing but I can see how that may be too much for a casual podcast.

:agreed:

listened yesterday before work and enjoyed it

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

That was a painful listen, but you were very articulate and I think handled things well. You actually seem like you might want people to come to the forum, instead of previous joke interviews ;P

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
just listened, OP. not a fan of the hosts

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Wendigee posted:

I ... What? .... :aaa::aaaaa::eek::stonk:

It was made by the same production company with the same actresses, and both involve poo poo eating.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I listened to it, made us sound like a load of lower-middle aged dudes who are the vanguard of web 3.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I listened to it, made us sound like a load of lower-middle aged dudes who are the vanguard of web 3.0

Hanging onto that "lower" clarification like my life depends on it