Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

repiv posted:

you can't write past the end of a file and stomp on other files, that's not how filesystems work

it sounds like they're describing remote code execution via buffer overflow, but confusing files and memory

if that's the case it's very bad

yeah the technical description there sounded pretty off.

e: https://twitter.com/TheMonch__/status/1435730874713223174

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
SOS goons:

I’ve been having the “infinite loading screen” bug for about a week, where I queue into trios or arenas or whatever and my game just sits for a minute in the loading screen then code net crashes to the splash screen, sits for a bit if I try to start, then gives me some kind of reservation error (forget the code but can check if it matters).

Thread where someone has same issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Connection-to-server-timed-out-code-net-amp-Reservation-timed/td-p/10706370

EA is not being helpful so I figured my knowledgeable goons might have some tips.

Stuff I’ve already tried:
Verify game integrity
Uninstall and reinstall
Run in administrator mode
Restart modem and router

I admittedly haven’t gone down the registry clearing, temp cleaning, etc rabbit hole on this one, hoping it has an easy fix.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i definitely remember having this issue, but i can't remember how i fixed it. try checking your drivers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

that exploit discovered by floesen was already fixed (valve took their sweet time but it got done eventually)

https://secret.club/2021/04/20/source-engine-rce-invite.html

people just seem to be wildly speculating about the nature of this exploit if it even exists

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i'm trying to find any security researchers talking about this but all roads point back to this directxeon, a complete nobody until today, saying "dude trust me"

https://twitter.com/DirectXeon/status/1435708109008384005

some people... who? where?

repiv fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 9, 2021

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
nvm, this link didn't work

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Cretin90 posted:

SOS goons:

I’ve been having the “infinite loading screen” bug for about a week, where I queue into trios or arenas or whatever and my game just sits for a minute in the loading screen then code net crashes to the splash screen, sits for a bit if I try to start, then gives me some kind of reservation error (forget the code but can check if it matters).

Thread where someone has same issue: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/Connection-to-server-timed-out-code-net-amp-Reservation-timed/td-p/10706370

EA is not being helpful so I figured my knowledgeable goons might have some tips.

Verify game integrity
Uninstall and reinstall
Restart modem and router

I admittedly haven’t gone down the registry clearing, temp cleaning, etc rabbit hole on this one, hoping it has an easy fix.

it's been mentioned already but make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, or alternatively if there have been any issues noticed with the most up to date driver. That sort of thing usually gets fixed pretty fast though.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!
Anyone else get massive lag spikes, rubber banding, whatever you wanna call it regularly? I dealt with that for most of the three hours I played today and this is despite the fact I’m on PS4 (ie it’s not a PC settings issue), I have a wired connection that was averaging 75-125 mbps, ping is usually 28-35 or so, I do port forwarding and even changed the DNS just to see if that’d help. Even had xfinity tech ppl come check everything out which did improve the speed. I also tried switching servers once but didn’t really try a different one for long (didn’t really help in the limited sample size), I could prob experiment more with that one.

Has anyone ever had this issue long term and fixed it? I can’t find much that seems to help anywhere else. It could just be apex servers but most ppl I play with don’t have seem to have this issue as often as me.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Do you have the advanced network statistics open on your game? If you do, what do you see when your having trouble ping bouncing up and down a lot, a ton of loss?

If you see a lot of 'loss' that is packetloss you may want to try other data centers to see if anything is better at one of those.

Other than that it could be a lot of different things, and it could be at any stage of the connection between you and the server, or even the server itself.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

it's been mentioned already but make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, or alternatively if there have been any issues noticed with the most up to date driver. That sort of thing usually gets fixed pretty fast though.

I keep trying to update my driver but every drat time it says it can't.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My game did that for a few weeks. Tried origin, steam, and every other solution out there. It randomly stopped one day on its own. This game is held together by scotch tape and bubblegum.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

There's been a lot more people talking poo poo in Apex than I ever remember and at the same time they are always the first one down.and constantly make bad positioning decisions.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

The Slack Lagoon posted:

There's been a lot more people talking poo poo in Apex than I ever remember and at the same time they are always the first one down.and constantly make bad positioning decisions.
with absolutely 0 data to back me up I'm going to confidently declare that it's warzone players that followed their streamers over.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

If solo queueing I mash F as soon as my lobby starts and ping attentively during the game. If we make it to midgame and they’re not playing like morons I unmute them.

It’s probably slightly (?) toxic but enough of the playerbase is annoying that the usefulness of hearing randoms is much lower in value than the risk of them yelling slurs or calling me bad into the mic, especially when I’m downed and can’t mute them easily. Earn my unmute dammit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Anecdotally I've been getting some rubber banding occasionally while playing and my connection is fine. Wouldn't be surprised if it's entirely server side and generally widespread.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbnxH4AlypU

also respawn hasn't been able to find the alleged RCE in titanfall

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1435793902536118276

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
they don't wanna do an ingame comic this season so instead they're telling the story organically. organically means tacked on at the end of unrelated content in an extremely awkward way or changing the "thank you!" emote to start talking for forty five minutes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i think that bloodhound outro is teasing upcoming PVE elements (like bloodhounds trials but out in the open map)

leakers have been talking about that for a while

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that octane skin is really good and my friend the rampart main is losing his mind, lol. i'm excited!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

patch notes: https://www.ea.com/en-gb/games/apex-legends/news/evolution-collection-event

they forgot to hide an unreleased weapon again

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1435993192768409600

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 9, 2021

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

quote:

Rampart

Sheila has gone mobile!

Rampart will now be able to run around with Sheila out, and shoot while walking. The spin up is longer, and she only gets 1 magazine in this mode.

Once Sheila is out, you can put it away and pull it back out until you run out of ammo (or hit the cooldown time). 

At any point, you can still place Sheila down for your teammates to use. Once placed, it has infinite reloads and acts just like the previous version. You cannot pick it back up.

Holy poo poo! That's a crazy buff!

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Lol sometimes I wonder if the tiny peeks at unreleased bits and bobs are on purpose but that’s so hilariously blatant that it’s gotta be a for-real mistake.

-Big Maude looks like fun
-The practice targets at the new location are shaped like (and some even labeled as) Big Sister, maybe there will finally be some movement on that particular narrative thread
-Rampart has such good lines. “Come for the guns, stay cause someone shot you with my guns.”
-Mobile Shiela is a good idea
-Pricing the LSTAR out of first round is sad but understandable, I’ve been doing solid work with it
-more obvious shield health in boxes is great
-I appreciate the leaver penalty protection, I’ve complained before that muscle memory makes it too easy to do on accident

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
here are ALL of my tears for doing that to octane, how dare they. god it was already annoying using the sprint out of combat now it's going to be a huge risk, i'm so mad

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

runchild posted:

Lol sometimes I wonder if the tiny peeks at unreleased bits and bobs are on purpose but that’s so hilariously blatant that it’s gotta be a for-real mistake.

https://twitter.com/RKRigney/status/1435993192768409600

:v:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Wonder if the octane jump nerf is going to affect the sneaky under-the-phase runner rotation from gardens? They just added an X marks the spot for it last patch too

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Ugh no more burst guns please we already have two heavy bursts

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

No one mentioning they added a pulse to Rev ult similar to the pulse from Loba market. Now it's really hard not to know someone is Rev ulting on you.

CoolCab posted:

here are ALL of my tears for doing that to octane, how dare they. god it was already annoying using the sprint out of combat now it's going to be a huge risk, i'm so mad

wow yeah real shame they're nerfing one of the most prolific and strong legends how dare they!!!

(even removing the most egregarious tap-strafe stuff Octane has been and still was the strongest even after they made his stim hurt way more. He needed the nerf)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

RESPAWN posted:

Fixed a bug where Wattson would start matches with 30 fences

I would be willing to bet no one ever noticed this. Nor did it impact the match in anyway.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

ZeusCannon posted:

I would be willing to bet no one ever noticed this. Nor did it impact the match in anyway.

A quick google would disabuse you of at least the first part of that notion.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

runchild posted:

A quick google would disabuse you of at least the first part of that notion.

Yeah, I posted about that bug in the Discord over a month ago, lol. It was a Reddit link though so I don't blame anyone for not clicking it.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Cretin90 posted:

SOS goons:

Verify game integrity
Uninstall and reinstall
Restart modem and router

What is your internet connection like? Do you have other people on your internet connection? Is anything other than Apex Legends using bandwidth?

It was happening to me if I was watching Youtube or someone had a streaming service on WiFi.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
they should have kept wattson ahving 30 fences

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The Slack Lagoon posted:

You know, I was just thinking how minimal the poo poo talk has been, for me. The one and only person to talk trash so far was the first one down in arena. I'm Lifeline, and the third teammate got to him just before I did. "No, let Lifeline! Let Lifeline!" he says. We die.

Next round, he's down first again - "God, Lifeline, you're so bad, just push a button, god..." It's like, you knew exactly what happened...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1436178903194906627?t=gEilgbI4ARnJj6dLvyusIw&s=19

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cretin90 posted:

SOS goons:

Verify game integrity
Uninstall and reinstall
Restart modem and router

try this: https://www.gosunoob.com/guides/apex-legends-loading-compiling-shaders-solution/

i've had this happen twice now and both times this guide cleared it right up. it wasn't obvious that this was the issue right away because sometimes i would get a blank screen instead of the loading and compiling message.

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

So I haven't logged into Apex in about a month now, and a week ago got a random email saying my Apex account was banned for ToS violation, at first I was cautious of the links and sender, thinking it was likely some kind of phishing thing but it turned out legit, apparently my account was accessed since I didn't have 2 way verification and someone cheated on my account. I put in a ticket and got the ban reversed, I guess they were able to see ips and stuff so thankfully that was taken care of, but the person wiped out the 5k Apex coins I had in my account. Can these be sent to another account or did they just like.. buy a bunch of cosmetics and stuff? I glanced at the legends I have and didn't see that they bought anything that was obvious, and I don't have a bunch of loot boxes, so I'm just curious where my coins may have went.

Also they apparently can't give me coins or help me in that regard, which sucks because that's like... 50 bucks. I did change the password to something pretty tough and also turned on 2 way verification, so hopefully it's a lesson learned on my part.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
do you have to turn it on in EA in origin or what? gently caress i don't even remember my login tbh

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

CoolCab posted:

do you have to turn it on in EA in origin or what? gently caress i don't even remember my login tbh

2 factor authentication? Yeah in origin settings and stuff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

iroguebot posted:

So I haven't logged into Apex in about a month now, and a week ago got a random email saying my Apex account was banned for ToS violation, at first I was cautious of the links and sender, thinking it was likely some kind of phishing thing but it turned out legit, apparently my account was accessed since I didn't have 2 way verification and someone cheated on my account. I put in a ticket and got the ban reversed, I guess they were able to see ips and stuff so thankfully that was taken care of, but the person wiped out the 5k Apex coins I had in my account. Can these be sent to another account or did they just like.. buy a bunch of cosmetics and stuff? I glanced at the legends I have and didn't see that they bought anything that was obvious, and I don't have a bunch of loot boxes, so I'm just curious where my coins may have went.

Also they apparently can't give me coins or help me in that regard, which sucks because that's like... 50 bucks. I did change the password to something pretty tough and also turned on 2 way verification, so hopefully it's a lesson learned on my part.

As far as I'm aware there is no way to send coins to other accounts, so they probably just bought a bunch of random poo poo on legends you don't play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

iroguebot posted:

exact same thing happened to me
my steam account is secure, but origin didn't have 2fa.
they spent about 5k yellow coins, changed pretty much every skin/badge/tracker etc. available, just completely made themselves at home
the funniest part is this happened right at the start of S10, my best game at the time was like 1500dmg/6k, they didn't even beat that while getting banned for cheating :one:
and i walk away from it still pure and without baldwraith skin

set up 2fa if you care about your anything, you wont ragret it