Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I finally realized why ranked is the best way to play. Had a game where my friends and I got 26 kills total because we won Fragment and the final circle was just outside Fragment. Never had a game where my team killed nearly half the lobby, felt good man. Getting an alternator from a care package near the end of the game was a cherry on top, those disruptor rounds loving shred people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
A mate of mine got done dirty by the same deal. Must be rampant. Took like 4 weeks to get his account unbanned and they closed his ticket twice because they couldn't prove he didn't log in from Russia himself.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

get a password manager and use a unique random password for every service

99% of the time these attacks happen because you used the same password on a different, poorly secured site, then people go around trying those leaked credentials on other services (like origin) to see if they hit the jackpot

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

repiv posted:

get a password manager and use a unique random password for every service

99% of the time these attacks happen because you used the same password on a different, poorly secured site, then people go around trying those leaked credentials on other services (like origin) to see if they hit the jackpot

oh yeah i've been on the keepass train for a decade now i think

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
i have never used a password manager because i for some reason dont trust them
i also dont carry a wallet, yoshi may have problems

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

speaking of security, lets see what the :supaburn: uninstall titanfall NOW :supaburn: guy is up to

lol

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Yellow Yoshi posted:

i have never used a password manager because i for some reason dont trust them
i also dont carry a wallet, yoshi may have problems

i don't trust almost any of them, keepass is all local encryption. it's pro!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

the new arenas map is just inexcusable. pure trash

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chard posted:

arenas is just inexcusable. pure trash

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Arenas are good and cool. Just need to be about half as long between round starts.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

this is basically how i feel about all battle royales at this point. people complain about downtime in arenas then turn around and spend cumulative hours riding a loving skybus and opening pillboxes lmao

have some self respect

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

arenas would be fine if the battle pass challenges carried across both arenas and BR so that I never have to interact with arenas outside of the flash events

edit: vvv yeah plenty of stars to be had all around, but weeklies would be better (for me at least) if "get X knockdowns with light machine guns" was across both modes vvv

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 12, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

arenas would be fine if the battle pass challenges carried across both arenas and BR so that I never have to interact with arenas outside of the flash events

dailies do, and you can re-roll them and pick which mode they apply to. there's more than enough stars available to max out playing pretty exclusively one or the other.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Got the caustic skin, look forward to not playing arenas again until the next event skin.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chard posted:

dailies do, and you can re-roll them and pick which mode they apply to. there's more than enough stars available to max out playing pretty exclusively one or the other.

I did it last season playing Arenas exclusively, and pretty poorly as well.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
50 days or so left on the clock and I'm L74 on the battlepass playing only BR duos, so no advantage from a 3rd XP boost

Yeah it can bite to have levels left on the table if you don't like a mode but it isn't a big deal ultimately. It's in their best interest that most people can reach L100 on the pass

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lol. This wraith!!!!

https://youtu.be/GTmLmL7mDAU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Chard posted:

this is basically how i feel about all battle royales at this point. people complain about downtime in arenas then turn around and spend cumulative hours riding a loving skybus and opening pillboxes lmao

have some self respect

I have to actually pay attention while moving across the map. I can fight in different area's. While fighting i have to be aware of more variables in the terrain.

I don't have to pay attention while waiting my mandatory buy period or moving to the one spot in every arena map that people fight over.

:shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/1437465083383271428

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Movement is sacred in Apex

vs

We bodied Pathfinder hook

:argh:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
loving of course they caved lmao

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
im gonna tapstrafe on ur deathbox scrub

but it does sound like it's only a brief stay of execution

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

tetsuo posted:

im gonna tapstrafe on ur deathbox scrub

but it does sound like it's only a brief stay of execution

I would be honored.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Hello friends, this past week I have started to get into Apex and am really enjoying it. I've even won a few matches, which I've never done in Warzone.

Any particular tips, or videos I should watch?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Hello friends, this past week I have started to get into Apex and am really enjoying it. I've even won a few matches, which I've never done in Warzone.

Nokokopuffs has some good solo ranking guides as well as guides for individual characters. Some of the character and weapon info in his guides is a little outdated but most of it is still applicable.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Nokokopuffs/featured

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Biggest things to learn as a new player is inventory management (usually a few stacks of shields, 2-3 stacks of ammo per gun, 1-2 syringe/meds/phoenix, grenades, generally in that priority) Batteries over cells and how to play the map (rotate around the next zone circle generally, learn the choke points and places to play safe from, etc).

I recommend finding a good spot to drop on each map and go there every time you have drop so you can familiarize with that area and spread from there. General movement mechanics are good to focus too (holstering wep when out of combat, sprinting, slide jumping for speed, etc).

Obviously gun mechanics are huge, going into the firing range and spawning bots to practice on is a huge help (it requires a weird little trick, just google it). Play with different weapons and attachments and find what you like but at least familiarize yourself with all of them. Arenas is a good next step to practice just fighting so you can get focused 1v1 party combat without worrying about all of the other stuff in BR mode.

For champs to focus early on Bloodhound, Gibraltar, and Pathfinder are all really great for tracking, defense, and mobility respectively. Use your first unlock on anyone but Crypto, they're are all fun and viable at any level of casual play.

EDIT: Nokos guides are mostly useless twitch highlight vods with barebones knowledge slapped on. He's also a giant manbaby the few times I've tried to watch him streaming.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 13, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Play with goons, if you idle in the Discord and ping the LFG you'll probably get a group pretty quickly most times of day. We're a pretty laid back lot.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Bottom Liner posted:

EDIT: Nokos guides are mostly useless twitch highlight vods with barebones knowledge slapped on. He's also a giant manbaby the few times I've tried to watch him streaming.

You mean the guy spending $50/day on fast food?

https://twitter.com/nokokopuffs_/status/1364353300682862592?lang=en

Nah never.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:psyduck: even with fast-casual like Chipotle and accounting for grubhub fees I don't know how you spend $50 a day on fast food.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

When choosing what legends to buy first, ignore advice and just pick who seems fun. The worst two buys I made (rev and wattson) were based on recommendations from this thread and curiosity about playstyle, respectively

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

He literally explains what he's doing and why he's doing it in most of those of videos and if you watched the streams they came from he would do this for hours.

e: The guy even has his editor popping in regularly with more info at the bottom or corrections when he gets something wrong or misspeaks. The quality of his guides is the entire reason he went from streaming for like 200 people to 2k, lol.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 13, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't want to spend any money on the game but there's in-game currency you can use is that right?

I've gravitated so far towards Lifeline, the trick where she can have a bot revive someone while you avenge their shame is so useful.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone. I don't want to spend any money on the game but there's in-game currency you can use is that right?

I've gravitated so far towards Lifeline, the trick where she can have a bot revive someone while you avenge their shame is so useful.

Lifeline is a very good character for new players. You can still be helpful and contribute even if your mechanics aren't great and she doesn't have any movement abilities to teach you bad habits early on.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yeah, after LV20 you get enough in-game currency every 20 levels to buy another character.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Unlock characters you think you might enjoy. Personal favorites are Mirage and Fuse, though I'd recommend Fuse over Mirage as using Fuse's abilities are a bit more straightforward.

I'll also parrot just get used to the weapons in a general sense so you're comfortable with them all. Further advice would be to always pick up one particular weapon that's good at most ranges (R-301 or the Flatline are both solid choices) and then use your second weapon slot as a flex for trying other guns out.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will add not to buy new chars until they've been out a bit/you've seen their abilities outside the game on a player's youtube or whatever. I bought several that I never use (looking at you, Horizon, Rampart, Wattson).

Lifeline is great, and Bang is pretty fun with her smoke bombs. Firing them at enemies can be just as good as making cover for yourself.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Again all good stuff here goons, cheers.

I watched some of those clips and Jesus Christ, how the hell does he navigate the inventory so fast? I couldn't even see the pointer. It's like the visual equivalent of Snow's Informer, just a blur.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Again all good stuff here goons, cheers.

I watched some of those clips and Jesus Christ, how the hell does he navigate the inventory so fast? I couldn't even see the pointer. It's like the visual equivalent of Snow's Informer, just a blur.

once you internalize how you feel about what to bring and what you have on you, it's really easy to just glance at your inventory and swipe out stuff you don't need. If you're using a controller then don't worry about ever coming close to that speed, Controller Looting is both legit thing and a meme for a reason.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Evil Kit posted:

once you internalize how you feel about what to bring and what you have on you, it's really easy to just glance at your inventory and swipe out stuff you don't need. If you're using a controller then don't worry about ever coming close to that speed, Controller Looting is both legit thing and a meme for a reason.

This. Also, it's usually faster to just grab everything as fast as possible and then drop whatever you don't need while you're moving to the next spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Evil Kit posted:

I really love the R-301 Carbine and the Rampage or Flatline. The optics also look awesome. Between the R-301 and the G36C in CoD, I don't know what it is but I love their aesthetic.