Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

104 is what I use. 110 warps the edges of the screen too much so I can't hit my flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I personally use a very high sensitivity with fingertip grip and have no problem getting flick meat shots at close quarters, but of course it ruins my tracking at medium and long range.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Lexusbeat posted:

Yeah I keep trying to make close range with a m&k work and it feels like a waste of time.

Anyone tried using Bangalore smoke to disable the aim assist? Might start trying that.

yea I feel every time I win a close range fight with M&K it's because the other player was exceptionally bad.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://youtu.be/yUj-9faWDcM

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

alternator with disruptor rounds spotted in the trailer

i guess they're doing a mid-season reshuffling of the care package weapons

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Hackan Slash posted:

Mozzie is better than it was at launch but with hammies gone and the eva buffs there's no reason to use it. Heck, you should probably just grab a wingman instead.

With purp bolt, mozam shoots fast as hell. But I would much rather they revert it to the original state and revert hammerpoint to original state. It was much more fun back then

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Ess posted:

I'll be honest I kind of forgot the 30-30 could take the skullpiercer hop up. I'd still take hammer flatline over it though because I aim centre mass and if you get someone completely dead to rights, the rof is still high enough that they won't get much time to react.

I guess it depends on your playstyle. I much prefer weapons with very high damage per bullet, rather than weapons you have to track with, in this game. I just stay behind cover, peak out to shoot and then get behind cover again. With that style, it makes it extremely hard for an enemy to knock you, even if they have great aim, but all you have to do is land one shot and then rush them before they can heal once you crack their shield to finish them

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

fuck starcraft

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah I personally use a very high sensitivity with fingertip grip and have no problem getting flick meat shots at close quarters, but of course it ruins my tracking at medium and long range.

This is a big reason for the playstyle I use that I explained in my post above. If you use relatively high sens, it makes it easier to flick aim the one-shot weapons, but a lot harder to track targets at mid-long range. If you use relatively low sens, it's the opposite. I just think landing the one shots and having good close-range tracking is more impactful than having good mid-long range tracking

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

In my experience the close-range tracking is both more forgiving of errors (missing 2-3 bullets out of a 20-bullet spray is no big deal) and also far faster at killing targets before they can shoot back.

If you whiff on your Mastiff or something you'd better hope you have backup and/or cover.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
CHOO CHOOOO MOTHERFUCKER

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm not trying to say my way is best, but high sensitivity fingertip grip is how I've played FPSs for twenty years now and I'm never going to change, so it just leads to me playing around my input. So stuff like preferring high alpha damage over sustained damage; in quake I always preferred the rocket launcher and shotguns to the plasma and lightning guns. Also, corner peaking and barrier dancing become even better when your gun is a pump shotgun compared to the enemies smg.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
Is the aim assist really that generous? I do notice I get clobbered up close a lot by people using controllers but I just assumed I was bad.

Also, I do play with very low sensitivity but very high DPI mouse so it's a very precise control, might be why I prefer the middle ground between damage and rate of fire. I'm garbage with all the SMGs except volt and R-99 and even then only if they're mostly purple, when you can hold them on a target and unload the whole magazine. Not so much hip fire. I haven't made hipfire work for anything except shotguns and the devotion at point blank range.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's less that the aim assist is better than being able to use a mouse decently, it's that the aim assist is so pro active that it will draw itself on target and stay there while you do literally nothing and, if you have the presence of mine to just lightly touch the stick in the correct direction, it will stay on target through maneuvers that would require both sharp inputs and a correct guess from a PC player.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Which is to say it’s significantly generous yes

I have a decent amount of muscle memory with a controller for shooters from Halo and tbh it feels very similar to MCC. Halo Infinite makes it feel more balanced and like a comfort choice, but MCC seemingly uses the old console aim assist values where it’s so strong that it actually pulls your aim away to targets hidden behind walls and acts like a bizarre secondary radar.

Apex feels similar to MCC (though afaik without the pseudo-wallhack) in that if you feel at all comfortable with using a controller for a shooter you are sort of handicapping yourself. Distance shooting is mostly unaffected by this though so there is a tradeoff in that sense - that’s still way easier on mnk.

I used to think it was just people whining until I saw the stats on pros being 80% on controllers and I remembered the weird Halo disparity, so I tried it for myself and lol

Abroham Lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 1, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, I've done enough console FPS playing to qualify as "at least comfortable", and I recently switched to using open mic, maybe I'll try it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
looting on controller is a nightmare tho

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

also god help you if you need to reload and have a downed teammate nearby

runchild
May 26, 2010

Regrettable posted:

also god help you if you need to reload and have a downed teammate nearby

They finally fixed that last season.

Season 14 Patch Notes posted:

Added ability to use “tap” interact prompts when they conflict with “hold” (e.g. reloading near downed teammates is now a lot more reliable on controller).

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

the one teammate stuck on kbm, the designated looter

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm pretty proud of this one. Even if it's not a win. Catalyst is fun even if it's hard to tell if her spikes every accomplish anything. They don't. The door barricading has come in hella clutch though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I used to think it was just people whining until I saw the stats on pros being 80% on controllers and I remembered the weird Halo disparity, so I tried it for myself and lol

But isn't this because of final rings? Like this is just part of the shotgun/Gibby meta style in the pro scene.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's less that the aim assist is better than being able to use a mouse decently, it's that the aim assist is so pro active that it will draw itself on target and stay there while you do literally nothing and, if you have the presence of mine to just lightly touch the stick in the correct direction, it will stay on target through maneuvers that would require both sharp inputs and a correct guess from a PC player.

That's absurd. I know that controller players would need some kind of handicap but this just straight up sounds like "I can't aim so I'll have the computer do it for me."

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

after seeing this post, I immediately understood why i sometimes randomly just die from full purple in half a second to a r-99 player from 50m away lmao
don't even have time to react/find cover/etc, might as well have been kraberd

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Ive enjoyed the new "Controllers are cheating!" plot arc after the years of people pushing the KBM supremacy narrative.

Its a fun new twist

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ess posted:

That's absurd. I know that controller players would need some kind of handicap but this just straight up sounds like "I can't aim so I'll have the computer do it for me."

I like that I can play apex crossplay with my console buddy :shrug:

I've watched him while I was dead, he tracks OK but I'm not fooled into thinking I'm watching shroud or something, so it doesn't matter to me how much of his "good enough" tracking is auto aim, it's not breaking the game.

I might have oversold it, it's less that it makes you better than the average kbm player and more that it seems to have a much higher floor - a clueless pc player will whiff everything, a clueless console player less so.

I wish I could find the very straightforward video showing auto aim in various games, you tube just wants to show me an endless procession of polemics by PC partisans.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Ive enjoyed the new "Controllers are cheating!" plot arc after the years of people pushing the KBM supremacy narrative.

Its a fun new twist

there's no contradiction there, KBM is still unambiguously better without assists, but console-style assists are increasingly leaking into PC games since crossplay took off

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's insanely annoying when you're having a really good game, and you suddenly get murdered in 0.5 seconds by an impossible feat that's performed by the other guy's computer

Ima Computer
Oct 28, 2007

Stop all the downloading!

Help computer.
Whenever I die, it's because someone is playing the game with a Xim Apex adapter.

Ess
Mar 20, 2013

ZeusCannon posted:

Its a fun new twist

The problem is not the controller, it is the aim assist. If I had that assistance with a KBM setup it would be cheating, uncontested.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I wouldn’t complain if mouse users got aim assist too

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

MJBuddy posted:

But isn't this because of final rings? Like this is just part of the shotgun/Gibby meta style in the pro scene.

I think so, but I also think it's just the nature of Apex. If more gun fights were done exclusively at medium/long range it would 100% favor mnk but that's rarely the case, even outside of pro play.

On a personal note I'm also miserable at close range tracking for stuff like SMGs so having the game go from "get hosed" to "you pushed the right direction, good job :yayclod:" makes a world of difference.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Remove aim assist from everyone. If console users want to join in they can use mouse and keyboard like the rest of us.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I'm so bad at trying to play FPS games on controller the aim assist probably wouldn't even help me. :v:

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
There was actually a patch like two years ago? that "accidentally" turned off aim assist and reddit was absolutely flooded with threads asking why all of a sudden they could not hit shots. They fixed it within like 48 hours lmao

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
the weirdest thing is the amount of aim assist actually changes depending on if youre on controller on pc or controller on console.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apex didn't launch with crossplay so it made sense at the time, assist was toned down on PC to (attempt to) balance it against KBM (not successfully judging by how many pros are switching to controller)

now we do have crossplay and console players can come into PC lobbies and still take advantage of their industrial strength aim assist for some reason

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

aim assist in crossplay lobbies but ONLY for controller players against other controller players, and no aim assist against kbm players in the same lobby :getin:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Seems like the solution is just stop having cross play with consoles and turn off aim assist on PC and then everyone can go back to complaining about the movement advantages kbm gives

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

they already have a system for reducing console aim assist to PC values for tournament lobbies, but it's not applied to regular matchmaking for... reasons

i doubt they'll mess with aim assist significantly at this point, controller players would likely just up and leave for COD if they got nerfed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

Crossplay between console players and PC players only happens if the console player has partied up with a PC player, at which point they get placed in PC lobbies. 99.9% of the time crossplay on PC just means Origin and Steam.