Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, that's the perennial complaint - 15 squads are eliminated before the first ring ends, and then you've got 5-10 minutes of squads hunting each other down.

Funnily enough Ranked doesn't have this as bad, because everyone is trying to either stay alive or take good fights, but there's no incentive in pubs to do the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Tibalt posted:

I mean, that's the perennial complaint - 15 squads are eliminated before the first ring ends, and then you've got 5-10 minutes of squads hunting each other down.

is that something that people dislike? this is my first battle royale (and only if you don't count fall guys) but what appeals to me is that the server of 60 people might have a bunch who wanna frag, some who wanna hide and rat, some who REALLY wanna win, some good players, some not so good players, some toxic players etc. for me, that kind of chaotic mix in combination with the inherent randomness of the loot system and complexities of legend abilities makes for dynamic and interesting gameplay.

i like that some games it's just the biggest clusterfuck in skulltown and all of a sudden there are three squads left in second ring and you're all like :shrug:.

honestly, personally, the optimal amount of time i want to play a game i'm going to lose is minimum, and this game mode fucks with that. the absolute worst kind of game (imo) is the one where you can't find anyone and wind up in the endgame with blue armour and get annihilated, 15 minute game like 30 damage. this game mode isn't quite that bad but it reminds me of it unfortunately.

also from a game design perspective i've always liked armour swapping as a mechanic - i don't love it's an esoteric menu skill (that apparently super sucks on controller) but it's really neat and is a huge defence against third parties. this game mode fucks with that too. there's no way to know if you're going to get armour or not get armour, it sucks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CoolCab posted:

i like that some games it's just the biggest clusterfuck in skulltown and all of a sudden there are three squads left in second ring and you're all like :shrug:.

This is every single game for me and has been for months.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Speaking of armor swaps, how come sometimes in very early game when I kill someone and go to swap their armor it's already damaged? This only seems to happen in the very early game, and, no, it's not the case that someone else made it to the deathbox before I did.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's either a bug or someone's being real sneaky.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
If you dropped really spicy that’s pretty common. Armor swap is gonna happen a lot if you’re fighting amidst a graveyard.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Speaking of armor swaps, how come sometimes in very early game when I kill someone and go to swap their armor it's already damaged? This only seems to happen in the very early game, and, no, it's not the case that someone else made it to the deathbox before I did.

Is the armor damaged or empty? If it's empty, the person could have had a completely unleveled armor which didn't even make it to white yet.

If it's damaged, someone else probably did swap before you got to the box.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
It's damaged armor, and I could've sworn I've seen it happen when I'm in literal 1v1 situations with no one else nearby. I'll start paying closer attention, I suppose.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I hope they have some insane mode with ring flares, multiple respawns, faster ring closure, all mirage teams, and gold everything kits.

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

dogstile posted:

This is every single game for me and has been for months.
IDK what exactly the tiers of SBMM are but I feel like if you're in the plat/diamond/level 500 tier (or the masters/pred tier) you're gonna get a lot of games like this where ppl are just chasing kills off hot drops.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

https://twitter.com/respawn/status/1382123188524515331

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TrixR4kids posted:

IDK what exactly the tiers of SBMM are but I feel like if you're in the plat/diamond/level 500 tier (or the masters/pred tier) you're gonna get a lot of games like this where ppl are just chasing kills off hot drops.

Yeah makes sense, most of the streamers I go up against put "masters/pred grind" in their descriptions so I assume its fairly high if they're even close to factual.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ooooh, 5 battlepass ranks in the event progression.

That's really nice for all the slackers out there, they probably can really use it. LIKE A DOG!

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I wish the green boxes for someone respawning left at least a battery or something with the other items. If youre barely scraping by as is and eke by a team it’d be nice to get somewhat close to full before they drop again.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The green boxes might be the worst mechanic possible. I won’t play a single game of this mode again.

I won the fight. If I can’t loot their box then they shouldn’t spawn with armor and guns. What’s the idea here: I should win a fight and fuckin run for the hills? The team I killed can still land on me, they don’t need to get poo poo. I better hope I find more ammo or a totally new loadout.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Lol. I actually liked the new mode. It’s fun to hot drop and not immediately get sent back to the lobby again and again.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
It's Apex but the 3rd party is the team you just killed.

Oh well, over now. Hope they don't bother fixing it and just let the rest of the events run instead.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this takeover blows. I went to ranked for less rage, which is saying something.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

The funniest thing to me about the mode is it didnt stop a bunch of people I played with from quitting right when the got downed. Did anyone notice if this mode counted 2 deaths a game?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tweak posted:

Did anyone notice if this mode counted 2 deaths a game?

It does.
The worst mode. RIP KDR.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I DL'd this like a week ago since CoD WZ is getting really stale. I've been doing mostly OK though still learning what/when to use skills and the maps. Any tips or strats? Like "stick to the edge of the circle" or "use recon to rush the last circle" type stuff. Still learning weapons, I've been using a Hemlok (keep wanting to call it Havoc) and Sentinel to good effect. Sniping in this game is a lot easier than CoD, since you can actually poke your head out for a second and sight without getting 1-shot by some hyped-up 12 year old.

Also had the weirdest game the other day. It got kind of hung up on loading, couldn't back out or anything so I close the game and restart. I guess if you do this within a short amount of time it tries to reconnect you to the game you left in case you DC'd? So I got put back in it but had access to every character. Took Fuse for giggles. Then the time was all hosed up, you moved really slowly and it took anywhere from 10-30 seconds for an in-game second to pass. I decided to stick it out for the hell of it. I was also solo. Sat in King's Canyon on the tall tower thing's top floor. Finally saw a dude and took some shots but couldn't hit him due to the weird slow time. He decided to come up and fight me and after a lot of silliness I killed him. Then spotted someone else and tried to snipe them. They ended up at the other really tall building there and we spent some time taking hosed up potshots at each other. Then when the circle went to close again time went back to normal and I drilled that guy. Moved with the circle, killed one more dude and then for the last one it was me and another player. I dunno if they went afk or what, but they died and I won a trios game solo with 3 kills on a character I didn't have unlocked :v:

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I DL'd this like a week ago since CoD WZ is getting really stale. I've been doing mostly OK though still learning what/when to use skills and the maps. Any tips or strats? Like "stick to the edge of the circle" or "use recon to rush the last circle" type stuff. Still learning weapons, I've been using a Hemlok (keep wanting to call it Havoc) and Sentinel to good effect. Sniping in this game is a lot easier than CoD, since you can actually poke your head out for a second and sight without getting 1-shot by some hyped-up 12 year old.

Look up and learn basic movement techs, movement is more key to this game than guns and map experience honestly.

As for rotation strategy, a lot depends on your team and character. Someone like Caustic needs to find the inner rings and set up, while someone like Gibraltar is great if your back is to the ring and you're mobile each round. But that only really applies to premade trios, if you're solo with fill teammates I like to pick a character with a movement ability like Horizon or Octane so you can quickly react to fluid situations.

Also in ranked there's a limit to kill points so if you've wiped a squad or two already your objective is just to survive to final circle. So if you are playing for max RP how you play depends a lot on the situation, do you have loot for a fight, is it risky for no gain, are you in the right location to third party someone else, who's likely to come through what chokepoints, can you get into a good position for the next circle, what positions won't have any teams at your back, things like that.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
honestly i've used very little of the things youtube considers "basic" movement tech and I feel like I do fine enough. paying attention to how to gain and maintain momentum is pretty important though.

looting fast is more important than looting perfectly

when people die any armor they had on them is refilled to full; getting a quick armor swap off a dude's death box in the middle of a fight can turn the battle

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Look up and learn basic movement techs, movement is more key to this game than guns and map experience honestly.

Funnily enough, Noko just said movement wasn't very important on stream yesterday. He said that having good aim, good positioning, good rotations, and being smart about how you take fights is much more important than movement.

e: Having good movement can definitely help you out of a jam occasionally, though, and can be very fun. There are situations you will get into maybe once every few games where you can save yourself and win the fight using advanced movement techniques where you otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 14, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

please let me buy a bunch of movement puzzle levels

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

servers are absolutely hosed, unplayable

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I need to rant, so please ignore this post

I mentioned a couple pages ago I got banned. 24 hours after I couldn't start a match I got an email saying I'd been banned for cheating. Well, I don't cheat as far as I know. The only thing I can think of that could remotely count as cheating would be either:
a. tap strafing, which I've never heard a single soul being banned for
b. some mouse acceleration I tried out for about 10 mins before I uninstalled it because I didn't like it like a month ago

My only saving grace is I decided not to get battle pass this season due to some work time constraints and now I'm gonna miss the rest of the season, because EA has locked down their appeals to a single email address with a "minimum 2 week waiting time" which people are complaining they haven't heard back in months from, or at all.
Sure I could create a new account, but I've put time, money and my username on that account. Instead, cos my friends aren't assholes, we just resubbed to FFXIV and played that instead. But I'm still bitter as all hell I can't play my favourite pick up and play BR for 20 mins of fun or see the new takeover (even if it's crap) and I don't really know why.

It's not even like I'm good at the game, I have a well sub 1.0 KDR and I barely win games. I can only assume Easy Anti Cheat picked up a false positive on my PC and auto banned me.
Sorry for the rant, I'm kinda mad. I'll just go back to mining in fantasy land until I get unbanned or not I guess.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Chard posted:

servers are absolutely hosed, unplayable

I do not experience this.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Chard posted:

please let me buy a bunch of movement puzzle levels

if you haven't played Titanfall 2 yet, please buy and play Titanfall 2. the movement is even better and the campaign is the best fps campaign I've ever seen, and is mostly about moving through the levels in interesting ways

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

kaffo posted:

I mentioned a couple pages ago I got banned. 24 hours after I couldn't start a match I got an email saying I'd been banned for cheating. Well, I don't cheat as far as I know. The only thing I can think of that could remotely count as cheating would be either:
b. some mouse acceleration I tried out for about 10 mins before I uninstalled it because I didn't like it like a month ago

My only saving grace is I decided not to get battle pass this season due to some work time constraints and now I'm gonna miss the rest of the season, because EA has locked down their appeals to a single email address with a "minimum 2 week waiting time" which people are complaining they haven't heard back in months from, or at all.
Sure I could create a new account, but I've put time, money and my username on that account. Instead, cos my friends aren't assholes, we just resubbed to FFXIV and played that instead. But I'm still bitter as all hell I can't play my favourite pick up and play BR for 20 mins of fun or see the new takeover (even if it's crap) and I don't really know why.

It's not even like I'm good at the game, I have a well sub 1.0 KDR and I barely win games. I can only assume Easy Anti Cheat picked up a false positive on my PC and auto banned me.
Sorry for the rant, I'm kinda mad. I'll just go back to mining in fantasy land until I get unbanned or not I guess.

Easy anti cheat used to ding me for having lights on my pc, so maybe it's that?

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013

dogstile posted:

Easy anti cheat used to ding me for having lights on my pc, so maybe it's that?

my understanding is that they were aware of some issue with their cheat detection.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I don't think I like Shield Regen. It doesn't seem to add any appreciable amount of action to the match, and it's irritating pushing someone only to find they're already at max shield. It kind of makes the game more focused on midrange combat.

Second Chance did a better job of extending action (to the point that it was way too much).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Tbh just do the nuclear option put the kernel anticheat from valorant in the game. I dont even care anymore.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The secret there is that most anticheats use the kernel to some extent and the valorant anticheat controversy was a bunch of idiots being loud.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think shield regen has just made sniping a method to get your red shield then abandon it because its useless otherwise.

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog

kaffo posted:

that sucks
i doubt the mouse accel stuff would be responsible honestly
if you want to play that much you might as well make a new account for now, its not like your main is missing out on stat accumulation and getting-your-moneys-worth when you can't even use it
you can always switch back later AND you'd have a nice smurf to mess around on

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

kaffo posted:

Might want to check if your account was stolen.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Friend of mine spend like 250$ on this game, his account got hacked and they refused to un-ban him.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Looks like they're breaking with convention, Worlds Edge is due for an overhaul but they're teasing an Olympus overhaul instead for Season 9

https://twitter.com/PlayApex/status/1382378457808699396

https://twitter.com/shrugtal/status/1382380138046889990

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

I think shield regen has just made sniping a method to get your red shield then abandon it because its useless otherwise.

Yeah it feels pretty pointless to do anything but constantly push in the shield regen mode. Any time I get sniped I just stand behind a rock for 5 seconds and get my full armor back and then try to close the gap. It's not necessarily a bad game mode compared to some of the previous ones, but it's really just a "don't fight at long range" mode.