Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

man in the eyeball hat posted:

is there a reason not to hold W at all times?

A very rare edge case use is you can just float there and watch for a stray/solo enemy flight path. Then you chase them down and beat them up for a finisher.

You know, for your Finisher daily challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not gonna lie, I initially thought the official apex twitter was retweeting fanfics with those comics.

Also when did Octane suddenly become meta? The last change I recall was his jumppad getting two modes of flight, which was a very good change, but was that enough to suddenly push him to the front?

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 13, 2021

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Hackan Slash posted:

Octane became meta mostly because he now has the best horizontal team movement in the game and wraith got dumpstered between hitbox and portal changes

is octane jumppad preferred over zipline for team mobility now?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That tease of the new Olympus changes looks like it'll be evening or something. I like the lighting.

e: unless it isn't...

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 14, 2021

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Center of the map on world's edge huh? Guess we'll see a significant addition there or something?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
me and my friends managed to climb into Diamond, and since there's no rank demotions, we've just been queuing in ranked to just... be kinda shitlords. We'll join a hot drop, locate someone who splits off from their party, and then all land on the guy and punch him to deathbox. Then we either hang around to fight or flee with our lives.

It's a bit of trolling on random poor sods but at the same time the trade off is that we're easy targets and basically 3 free RP kills/assists if someone manages to take us out.

Anyways, to cap off season 8, in one of our last games for the night, we unwittingly land on TSM ImperialHal's team (we are attracted to Predator trails) and mug the poo poo out of his teammate Baronful. We had a great time laughing about it, but then I went to go checkout Baronful's stream to grab his POV clip... but he turns out to be a wholesome streamer so now I have been converted into a fan.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Cefte posted:

post clip

my point of view. We don't realize who we rolled up on until we all die and see their names in the spectator view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fclXsIDMRs

his point of view (I didn't clip this cleanly and accidentally recorded my friends voice on this in the middle. half way through I skip ahead to him comparing our attack to getting mugged lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YThNoXX5hEQ
I hung around his stream for a bit and it was very wholesome when he started getting lots of subs and told some story about his tiger mom giving him poo poo for being a streamer or something, but he seems like a really nice guy from the little bit I watched. I think he's ending S8 as #4 Apex Predator.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tetsuo posted:

Baron is a very good dude and one of the nicest streamers out there. And has a great ASMR voice.

FWIW His mom gave him more than just poo poo about streaming - resorting to downright bullying.

https://twitter.com/xBaronful/status/1376379686842855427

He's fairly open about it and doing better these days on his own, having moved out as soon as he was 18. Hope my man gets Partner on the next application.

Yeah I really enjoyed the little bit I saw of him last night. Gonna throw my prime sub his way when mines opens up again. Love how he's both incredibly skilled and also completely non-toxic. We kinda felt a little bad about dropping on him once we got to hear his story... but it was random fate that we queued into the same game.

The voice definitely caught me off guard when I first opened his stream though haha. I wish the guy all the luck and hope he succeeds 100%

xtal posted:

How does the dead eye thing work? I don't see an indicator or anything.

You know how when you draw the string back there's a little bar underneath the crosshair that fills up? When you have Deadeye, there's two additional mini bars underneath that bar which show how many "Charges" you've built up. At max charges, you can draw the string to max very fast.

There's also an audio cue if you are letting loose a Deadeye affected shot. It sounds like a metal twang.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 5, 2021

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Primetime posted:

Is it just me, or do some of the Arena Battle Pass weeklies seem like a bit of a stretch to try and get?

I have "Deal 2500 damage in a single Arena match" as a challenge, and a friend has "Deal 750 damage in a single Arena round". Even in my one Arena that went to round 5 before we won, everyone on my team did about 1,500 damage total. Seems like you're required to either have a match drag out to 9 rounds, or just be way better than your team to try to pick that up. 750 in one round is even crazier, even in a Purple armor round that's 600 base HP, so you would need to do all of the damage for your team that round AND let someone heal to full mid-fight.

They're weeklies, so I'm sure I'll stumble into them eventually through the season. Just seems like a big ask compared to like "Deal 5,000 damage as a specific character" which stacks across an infinite number of games.

Can you earn damage badges in Arena?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

wa27 posted:

I imagine there will be some dramatic re-pricing of different guns in Arena when they get some usage data. So far I've stuck with naked Volt for round 1 and upgraded Spitfire for Rounds 2+. I haven't tried a 2-weapon loadout very much.

It would be hilarious if Respawn implemented Dynamic Weapon Pricing. If anyone remembers Counter-Strike Source waaaaay back, gun prices were affected by how often they were bought.

Obviously this did not work out for a game like CS:S (and probably wouldn't for many games) but it was hilarious. Deagles and AK/M4s became astronomically expensive. As a filthy casual back then, I loved it because for the first time we were seeing people actually use lovely guns like the UMP or whatever cause they were dirt cheap.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TheDemon posted:

I love/hate that Valk's ultimate is a better Crypto/Bloodhound and this part of the ability isn't shown anywhere in the trailers and isn't in the ult description (instead it's tacked onto the passive description). Thought the ult would be a good ability for 3-stacks and high-level gameplay but instead the info you get when you launch makes it good no matter the situation.

Do teammates who aren't skydiving get the highlighting information too? Like if you solo launch on your ult, do your teammates see enemies light up?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really have anything against Arena but I find myself re-rolling my challenges more often now than in previous seasons because I prefer to knock out my dailies in one game mode instead of increasing my game time because I have two modes to play. The first re-roll is free but before I rarely ever re-rolled anyways.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chard posted:

oh. that feels... weirder? is that to avoid stream sniping or something? those players dont seem to be any better than average, ime

I've seen some people say that it makes call outs easier. (If you down someone in the distance, but you couldn't visually identify them, you'll at least see "Knocked Down Mirage2584" or something like that)

But where's the fun in that? I wanna see the funny names people come up with.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Arena flash events because I like free apex packs and skins... but I don't wanna play Arenas :/

But I'm not going to ignore it because I want the free loot. I mean it's still Apex fun but like, I just wanna play BR mannn

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope the next Arena flash event is not 5000 points to complete.

I think the first time with 3000 points was a nice milestone.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Simone Magus posted:

I think 3v3v3 Arena would be hecking fun

As someone who isn't very interested in Arenas, I think I would have a lot more fun during Arena flash events if this was the case.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I would imagine they also agree on terms of compensation before creating the art stuff. I imagine if a community artist felt like they were getting ripped off, they could also just be like "nah brah no deal"

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

First game of unranked on the old map mode and we died to a aimbot cheater that 100% accuracy gunned us down across the map :thumbsup:

an authentic old school apex experience

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
One day of OG maps is kinda enough for me. I'm not against Skulltown (I actually do like that part) but rotations and loot density has improved so much with the later iterations. I kind of wish they'd drop two of those weapon vault container things on opposite ends of skulltown, and maybe one at thunderdome. Would make contesting those zones on a hotdrop much more interesting.

bromplicated posted:

Kind of bummed they fixed the emote-bounce glitch. That was a fun way to kill time waiting for Arenas matches to start and looked really cool with certain emotes.

Tell me about it. I have Bloodhound's battle horn emote and I'd use it while bouncing my way into a 3rd party. :black101:

Simone Magus posted:

3v3v3v3 Skulltown Arena when

Yes please.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Random fact: Revenant can climb high enough to rotate *over* Bunker on KC.

That being said, it is an out of bounds zone, but you can make it over in <30 seconds before you die.

Might be useful for ranked if KC comes back in Ranked rotation. Granted, you can't take your teammates with you as a Revenant, but if you're trying to squeeze out placement with bunker being gatekept, it's a possibility.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Chemmy posted:

That new Arena map looks like it goes where Thermal Station is. I hope this event is something more than "play Arenas a bunch" because it'll be the third or fourth "event" that's just doing that in a row and at this point I'd rather not play Apex than play Arenas.

If you enjoy it more power to you, I like playing BR and don't think Arenas needed to be a full time mode forever.

Same, churning out Arena games for challenges feels like such a drat chore for those who don't want to play it. I have no problem with Arenas existing but like goddamn I just want to play BR and get free swag.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Keep getting solo queued despite having fill checked all afternoon. Why is this game so good but so busted every day in new ways?

I was having this for a while but I just click spam Fill Teammates and then queue in after leaving it on a checkmark. Seems to give me teammates now :shobon:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wish the quickdraw holster's effects are just a bit more noticeable. I was toying with it in the firing range and it just doesn't feel that much different to me.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

The second reward path for the event is up but this one is just battlepass stars, a few crafting mats and 2 apex packs

It's all Arena challenges for the track :/

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

EE-One-D deployed! My Siege PTSD is coming backÖ:negative:

That tactical makes me think of Jackal detection

YOU HAVE BEEN DETECTED

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There's a hilarious bug right now where if someone starts a finisher on you but is interrupted/cancels, you can zoom around on the floor at regular walking speed so you just zoom around the floor really fast.

Also Seer is uh... really oppressive. Like, goddamn this is annoying. And in 3rd party scenarios it's getting hard to tell which team is getting the ult scan.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dyz posted:

Is the heartbeat sensor 360 or in a cone in front of you when you ads?

It's a very wide cone in front of you, like maybe 150 degrees. So it'll detect almost anything within 75m up until they're to your sides.

The heartbeat sensor "zeros in" within a margin at around where your tactical would highlight them if they weren't moving.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dragon enthusiast posted:

sometimes the sensor shows pips behind you, which I think might indicate people above / below you but I'm not positive about that.

I think it's above and below your crosshair, because if you take Seer into firing range, it doesn't detect dummies behind you. Only seems to measure in a wide cone in front, maybe like 150 degrees or something.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Doesn't it track for 8 seconds? Bloodhound tracks for 3. I feel like I've been able to just clown on people who get tagged by a teammate Seer.

The duration is long enough that I can rotate through a house and still know their exact movements by the time I reach the other side.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
They should split Arenas into another game client so they can stop inserting arena challenges into my dailies and weeklies. And also give me something besides Arena Flash Events.

Arena people can play arenas and I can play my dang BR game.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
had a Seer tactical cancel my phoenix kit at literally 0.1 seconds left.

it's a hilarious meme until it happens to you :/

I did have a somewhat funny moment where we had multiple 3rd parties descend on us (we were the first 3rd party but we were joined by the 4th, 5th, 6th, etc.) and the way I knew a new party joined the fight was another Seer Tactical blasting the house we were fighting around. (Like too soon for the cooldown to repeat)

edit: I mean, it was sad, but it was funny.

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Aug 19, 2021

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Also I know that rats are generally looked down upon, but Seers also basically destroy those fun moments when you're playing with your friends (or pubs sometimes) and you're just trying to retrieve banners for a comeback.

Instead, you try to come back for the banner(s) and the Seer just sics his whole team on you.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

tweet my meat posted:

Valk is so fun, you can get out of so many bad fights by just spamming the jetpack. I feel way more comfortable getting really aggressive than on any other character.

Yeah the jetpack is really nice even just for minute shifts in momentum. Sometimes you just need a boost in a direction to get you out of a tight spot and into cover or out of line-of-sight.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
KC only became super fun when they added the weapon vaults. Now all of a sudden your loot tables are basically guaranteed and you're unlikely to be under geared on the map. (Once the vaults are fixed and go back to having guns)

Also KC's map flow has become so massively improved over the seasons. Old KC sucked despite having some memorable POIs. Those two weeks where they brought back the OG maps was kinda insufferable after the first week.

I think I enjoy Olympus and neo-KC about equally and World's Edge the least. They should add another vault or move them around (seasonally) in WE to mix it up.

Also here's a cool finisher clip of mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqt4uXGR4RU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I know it defeats the purpose, but it would have been cool if they added weapon vaults to OG KC.

Two weapon vaults on opposite corners of skulltown (filling in the desert space) and one in thunderdome. Would it attract even more hot drops? Probably, but the quality of the encounters there might be even better!

poo poo, throw a third weapon vault on the roof of skulltown.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

KC has two big problem areas: The Cage and Hillside Fort. Both have an extreme amount of vantage-point-ness, are nearly impossible to mount an assault against, and the central nature of these zones means that if a fight breaks out it'll draw 5 other squads pretty quickly.

Hillside Fort is the one that overlooks containment right? I think that one is fine because it's somewhat vulnerable from an attack coming from above.

Cage sucks though. They should build a town around cage. I don't like dropping into it, and I don't like approaching it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

runchild posted:

Good thing they made the rewards poo poo so I donít feel like Iím missing out.

I mean, the Octane skin isnít bad but itís also nothing special. The badge/holospray would be kind of neat if it signified anything other than ďI spent ≈$100 on energy drinksĒ.

I was thinking how ridiculous this was but then I remembered back in the day I knew a guy who had a can of Monster EVERY single day at work. Sometimes a second can.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Man did they remove/break the thing where people leaving mid-finisher still grant you the finisher daily? I could have sworn that was a thing last season or two, but you don't get the challenge anymore if they box mid-animation.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I've had it happen like twice throughout this current season where music of some sort starts playing around 4 teams left.

It's slightly distracting, but also very epic when you're trying to clutch in a final battle all-in scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

So... Horizon thought Ash was someone else?

Also lol @ Revenant being like "aite I tried"

I'm generally not too big on following Apex lore too hard but Ash was one of my favorite Titanfall 2 characters so I guess I'm reading this bit.