Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Gunder posted:

I've definitely been experiencing issues with very slow login times recently.

Yep same issue. No idea why it takes 30 seconds for the login server to let me in, feels like a timeout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Varinn posted:

maggie is doing a maori/nz accent tho??

She might be a Kiwi but they got some truly bizzare direction at least. Sounds like an Australian saying a bunch of NZ specific catch phrases.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
From NZ but putting on an Aussie accent, at best

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
When I was playing last week plat had a bunch of people with pred/masters dive trails. Give some time for more of the population to get pushed out of gold.

Ranked queue needs a rework. The variation in difficulty over a season is just a really weird artifact of how they implemented it.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Don't think I've ever heard zip line audio for a user placed zip line from an enemy.
I have heard the ping of one being placed though.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Ground up to diamond and I'm looking forward to not using my dive trial at all in arenas most of the season

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Skull Servant posted:

Arenas matchmaking is absolutely horrific thanks to people complaining constantly about SBMM. I constantly play with absolute brand new accounts that can't do a single thing because they should be in their own lobbies.

Arenas matchmaking is super simple relative to BR so it's clear they are making fast matches over any other considerations.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they don't really want these one-sided matches with one high rated player paired with two people who haven't played before, but it sure seems to happen a lot.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Yup and if you just stop holding the button when it beeps at you, it's cooldown is so short you will demolish people who have to reload or swap to another gun.

It's definitely the best gun in the game. It's not even hard to use anymore, now it doesn't blind you.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
His passive needs a resource to consume and some downside or be hooked into his tactical such that he only has a limited use of it in the leadup to the tactical firing.

It's completely stupid as is.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
It's weird that these acceleration bugs from the goldsrc era are still around in 2021.

I'm guessing it's just a case of 'It feels good don't touch it, it took weeks to get it to feel OK in the first place'

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
In ranked arenas and in the games where I'm not matched with or against silver and bronze players, I'm noticing much more tap strafing.

It's typically used to make yourself a harder target when running away or reloading. It's not a niche flashy movement tech. It is very good.
If it's left in it will be a required tech given how strong it is.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
It also looks like poo poo because of all the acceleration it gives you.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
You are accelerating if you change direction while maintaining a static speed. By doing this you can swap directions faster than you would be able to otherwise.
If it wasn't clamped you would be able to fly off into the sunset.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

And you couldn't "fly off into the sunset" unless tap strafing affected gravity.

If you removed the clamps on it, ie the total momentum limit you absolutely would.

The point is it increases the amount you can accelerate by, within certain bounds, by a lot.

It makes you a harder target to hit, and predict.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Just trying to illustrate that it's adding a bunch of momentum change man

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
I don't know if the throwing is worth it but there are definitely people with very high ranks that are doing it.

It is also willing to match people together with extremely dispersed ranks, which is unusual and I haven't seen in a ranked system before.

You can be in masters and be playing with people in bronze.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
I mean I've played StarCraft and CSGO in the past, both of which were much better at producing even and challenging matches than this, and would send you to your rank quickly if you were outperforming expectations.

It's common enough for the matches to be wildly unbalanced in arenas.
Often with one player able to kill the entire enemy team three times in a row, because the skill disparity is so great.

Lexusbeat fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 7, 2021

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

MJBuddy posted:

And one player being better than a whole other team would be expected behavior in a fast, loose MM system because you'd give the two weakest players a stronger teammate. If you tightened SBMM you'd get that less but people complain about that too (though I think it's better).

In two of my last 20 matches I wiped teams with 9 kills and 0 deaths. Ironically this is the same number of games I played with/ against an obvious aimbot.

I've been solo grinding ranked arenas and I'm at diamond two now I'm still getting about double the points from wins as losses.
There has been no appreciable increase in the difficulty of the matches I play from when I started at gold.

This sucks, when I'm playing ranked what I'm after is being matched at my skill level not just one-sided stomps or heroic carry sessions. That seems to be 90% of what it provides though.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Do you have the advanced network statistics open on your game? If you do, what do you see when your having trouble ping bouncing up and down a lot, a ton of loss?

If you see a lot of 'loss' that is packetloss you may want to try other data centers to see if anything is better at one of those.

Other than that it could be a lot of different things, and it could be at any stage of the connection between you and the server, or even the server itself.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
I've been getting movement stuttering on the firing range even. Servers are not living their best life right now.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Aim assist requires there be some stick input, because people would get weirded out by it partially locking on to players as they walk past. If you turn you deadzone low enough you will get aim assist kicking in when you stand still.

The thing about aim assist that feels bad for me is that jinking or peeking that would work against a KBM player won't work against a controller player. Because they can track faster than human reaction time.

I think you could fix it by making aim assist take 200ms or whatever to adjust for changes in direction of the target, but you would have to mess with a whole bunch of stuff to make it still be playable.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

Very weird nerf, wonder if it's deliberate.

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am almost certain laser sights are going to be OP as gently caress. The SMG hipfire was already pretty good, imagine a R99 nerd with laser sights.

Given recoil actually doesn't do anything if you strafe while shooting, I wouldn't really worry about it being OP.

The mechanic is if your view is moving more than 3.3 degrees per second while in ads, there is no recoil pattern. Give it go in the firing range!

I think I've posted about it before, it's such a counterintuitive mechanic I just can't get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
Yeah I keep trying to make close range with a m&k work and it feels like a waste of time.

Anyone tried using Bangalore smoke to disable the aim assist? Might start trying that.