Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

New thread, guess I'll finally post in here after playing a bunch with goons on the discord. Pick the game up finally at the start of season 7 despite my general dislike of BR games and got hooked. Game is very solid and well put together! I am of course bad, but that's never stopped me from W-ing to success my own demise.

Looking forward to explosion man as I always want to carry more grenades than I should and now I will be enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Generally speaking about what time do new season patches drop on release day?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

perfect timing for me then, hell yeah.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Maybe they're referring to the reload animations when Octane is using his tactical (since he keeps his left hand up to his face on the vial)? I always get a chuckle out of making Octane sprout a third hand while in the middle of a reload animation from using the tac.

I know all Assault classes can use their tactical during a reload with interrupting it as well so that might be where that comes from?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gunder posted:

Yeah, the servers are feeling a little laggy at the moment, at least in Europa.

Have you tried moving back to Earth? Being all the way out at Jupiter I'm surprised you're only getting a little big of lag. :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Gotta say that from when I started playing last year at the start of Season 7 I can really feel the improvement. A lot of guns I didn't like using I've turned around and love now (DMR, Charge Rifle, 301, R99 to name a few) and I feel way more consistent hitting people with most of a mag in heated close/mid firefights. Never been a fan of the idea of BRs but Apex really does just feel fantastic enough gameplay and character wise to make up for the really slow bits.

There's also enough dumb physics poo poo that happens in this game to tickle my fancy. Apex good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

NGL it's been really weird not having full white gear +mozzie on drop and seeing a bunch of white items again. Game felt so much faster when you didn't have to sweat finding blue or better stuff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

e:fb lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SteelMentor posted:

Had a hell of a bug earlier. Been used to a weird lag in the first game of a given session but this was on another level. The game was running in straight up slow motion. Not low FPS either, just Zak Snyder rear end slow motion. It wasn't just me either, both my team-mates had it as well and judging how they moved, so did everyone else in that match. It took about 7 mins all told to actually get from the character select to dropping it was running so weird. Is this a known thing?

Yes. It's fairly rare but you'll usually experience it at least once.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

After reading the advice on the thread about low DPI = better I finally broke my comfort zone and lowered my DPI from 2000 to 1500 and wow what a difference. For the ultra low DPI (600-800 or even 1200 how the gently caress do people use their mouse with this???) do people generally have mouse acceleration on? I can't imagine actually using that low a DPI for general use much less playing an FPS.

Got a bit distracted but going down to 1500 DPI I really noticed a different in my games, hitting a lot more shots that I felt like I'd fumble before, definitely felt a performance boost.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 8, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Daztek posted:

How do you not do a dozen 360s when moving your mouse a millimeter on 2000dpi :v:

Pretty easily! I've played with extremely high DPI for years when I started my first comp fps in TF2, I didn't feely comfortable till I could easily 180 with as little mouse movement as felt comfortable, made for easier side/factstabs as Spy. It became such a habit there are a large number of games I had to go into mouse settings to jack up the sensitivity.

That said, I understand why lower dpi = better tracking now. And well, I'm not a teenager anymore, these reflexes have worn out.

Overminty posted:

I have multiple mouse profiles that I can switch with a physical button that have different sens settings because you're right it would be annoying to use day to day.

Same, 2000 was just my lowest for a long while. Now it's 1500 and I'm sure I'll actually smash the button and suddenly my DPI is gonna go through the roof.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ty, good to know!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

the loud global ring flare/flare shield audio is clearly a bug and I hope they fix it asap because it is just insanely loud right in your ears.

New game mode is good and Heat Shields are kinda busted imo.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 10, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

xtal posted:

The heat shields are the name of the game right now not only to survive environmental damage but because they speed up healing while you're inside of them, almost like a Gibby shield. So you can drop them in a covered area and quickly heal your whole team up if you find yourself down shots in a fight.

In one of my pubs we've chained heat shields to make it to a replicator outside of the ring to make purple backpacks, that was sweet.

Gibby shield ain't like that anymore, the extra healing speed got removed this patch! But yeah the healing speed is insane inside of it, it also speeds up revives.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 11, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

The heat shields die real loving fast in any ring past 2. You'd have to build up a serious stash of crafting mats to be able to survive long enough for the final ring to close and kill the final squad, hell I'm not sure a shield would even survive the time it takes to make another one in final ring.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

repiv posted:

There's a description at the start of the game, and lvl3 is exactly the same as lvl1

I'm guessing whatever they originally planned for lvl3 had some critical bug they couldn't fix in time, hence them extending lvl2 and then copy pasting lvl1 to lvl3

Lv3 is actually a hybrid of 1 and 2 (1+2= 3 you see). There's a largish flare but not mega that spawns somewhere in middle-ish of the ring and then smaller ringflares that crop up over the course of the ring timer.

That or I totally forgot that lv1 always had a largish flare in the middle :shrug:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

SKULL.GIF posted:

:lol: I can't believe I actually managed to pull that off. Was farming heat shield badge as solo-drop Octane and just watching where squads dropped on hot spots, then hanging out near the mess until Rings 3/4 for better damage per tick. Ran out of heat shields finally as Ring 5 was about to start, so I hopped a car and drove deep through the Ring to the last round hoping I'd be able to loot some more deathboxes for shields.

Ended up somehow getting the high ground against the final squad, beamed two of them down as they ziplined towards me, then with the ring closing in on us I drop my final heat shield, then throw the Jump Pad at Pathfinder as he runs into my shield for safety. It launched him into the ring, and 1 tick later I'd won the game.

I really wish I had shadowplay or something to capture that final 30 seconds of winning a match I didn't even play in, best I could do was unsuccessfully attempting to screenshot the Pathfinder sailing into the ring.

This is the magical poo poo that happens in this game that really makes Apex so good. Absolute masterpiece. :discourse:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Carillon posted:

So right now the game just sits at the loading screen with the circle spinning. I can't even go to select servers. Has anyone else dealt with this? I hope there's a fix because this is annoying.

pretty much everyone has been dealing with long loading screen. Oftentimes it'll take minutes of wait but if you ever hit 3+ minutes just try a quick relaunch of the game. It sucks but it just takes patience.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Well it is Tuesday and Steam maintenance is a weekly occurrence. I'd be surprise if it was an issue still this late however.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

On the other hand, being able to gently caress with an enemy Lifeline in the middle of a firefight while you're down by shoving your body in front of them as they try to combat revive a downed squad mate is extremely funny and good.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

Just throw an octane pad at the person she's gonna try to rez. Can't rez him if he's mid air! :v:

You can only do that when you aren't knocked though :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

What the actual gently caress lol

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CoolCab posted:

Mirage's is the best heirloom and imo it's not close. i wish they offered a finisher with it tho.

beating people with a trophy is pretty much the best thing you can do in this game.

butterfly knife is cool because I loved Spy from TF2 but it really doesn't top the clonk of a overly large gold trophy of yourself.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Revitalized posted:

is octane jumppad preferred over zipline for team mobility now?

compared to ziplining which is incredibly loud and obvious except in the most hectic of situations, the jumpad movement is almost entirely silent which makes it superior for getting the jump on a squad.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Chard posted:

t:rip:le take

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

xtal posted:

I'm thinking about switching from Loba to Crypto main anyway, I just had a lot of fun winning a game 2v3 by blowing up a bunker with Watson, Caustic and Lifeline. They just need to give him a passive ability.

Crypto's "passive" is basically all the crazy utility poo poo his drone can do from complete safety. Hell, even just being able to look at champion banners in drone mode to see if there are squads within 200 meters of crypto is nuts by itself.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

xtal posted:

That's the entire point of his drone though. Imagine if Bangalore's active was the smoke grenade and her passive was "Enemies are unable to see through smoke created by your grenades."

MarshyMcFly posted:

A true passive ability would be an innate buff that gives him a unique feature to all other legends. The only thing that even comes close to his "passive" is his ability to use survey beacons without his drone. But bloodhound and pathfinder both have that ability too and Valkarie soon.

to clarify: to me, Crypto's drone is so versatile with just so many different and unique things in one ability that I understand why Respawn decided to not just give him some passive bonus he gets all the time. His drone is his identity as a legend. Sure every Recon class can interact with survey beacons and kinda half counts as a passive for that entire legend type but at least each one gets something mostly unique out of it.

Like the comparison with Bangalore's smoke grenade does and doesn't work since you could consider it a mostly one dimensional Tactical: you use the smoke to provide cover or obscure an enemy squads view, while occasionally bonking someone for 10 damage. You can't do much else with it. However, when you think Bangalore you do think SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE and also the mortar strike. You don't think "Goes faster while running when shot at." Bang has her passive since it contributes to her kit and being an Assault legend as a whole, but isn't really a distinct part of it.

Crypto drone on the other hand can spot/scout enemies from safety, let you know if squads are in 200 meters instantly, open/close doors, pick up banners, instantly respawn squad mates, distract foes during a peek war, and a plethora of other niche things. It cooks, it cleans, it does your taxes and keeps you company when you're feeling down.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Songbearer posted:

Whoever this was, live with the knowledge that you committed Goonicide t:mad:

One of the highlights of playing this game is running into another goon squad on King's Canyon and ripping them with a 301 back when I was still kinda shaky at the game. I didn't realize till just after the fact and the other goon group dropped in our discord channel to heckle us lol.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Anecdotally it feels like people are using the bow way less after the nerf. I'm okay with this, even if it is still kinda strong.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Simone Magus posted:

:confused:

This is getting weird. People complain when pubbies disconnect, don't be the pubbie that disconnects. Pretty basic Golden Rule stuff here.

Pretty sure the original point was if someone had already dc'd in a Arena match and made it 2v3, why stick around and struggle it out when you can just restart? In BR you can at least rely on third partying a win, in Arena it's a straightforward fight squad v squad fight where being down a whole person is, while not an assured loss, is close enough it might as well be if the other team is equally skilled or better.

At no point has anyone advocated being the first DC in Arena cause your pubbie squadmates did something displeasing to your gaming sensibilities.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's no good moral reason to DC first in Arena although a Surrender option would probably be in the mode's best interest.

I don't even think that's needed tbh, three round wins in a row goes really fast if one side is stomping.

I'm willing to forgive that some people have the ingrained "hit ESC > Leave Match" habit upon seeing SQUAD ELIMINATED if only because I've done it a couple of times though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just play with goons, everyone is chill even if you die. It's really really rare to be able to see a cheater so I can't imagine blaming your own faults on... uh... dodge hacks? That's a new one for me.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Was playing with goons earlier and we got a new variation on the slo-mo server that happened mid-match. It pretty quickly had me laughing my rear end off.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/780620442829979658/846854609901060166/the_new_Slo-Mo_server.mp4

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/780620442829979658/848286461647126528/Krabergasm.mp4

the kraber is cool and fun and my friend

(also we won)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Arenas as a game mode is certainly easier when all you need to worry about is a single enemy squad and can take a round or so to notice their personal quirks and learn to play off that. In BR if you aren't finished fighting an enemy squad within about the first 45 seconds to a minute of encountering them, you're very quickly going to run into third, fourth, and fifth parties dogpiling you while you're still fighting/recovering.

Each mode is stressful in certain ways and there are def people that are going to handle each differently.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Extended PUBG universe is go.

Also from what I remember of the DS3 LP, there was actually a genuinely interesting portion of the game if you were co-oping, where the two players saw vastly different things. The rest is as mentioned, crowbarred in and slightly less than generic action shooter. Also the ending was... something.

edit: owned dogstile :smuggo:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 21, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dogstile posted:

The video is private already, that being said:

If it's unranked, its a random guy, its unplanned and its silly fun, who cares? That twitter post ban was to stop people who were legit trying to game it for rank, not just finding some rando in games and sparing them.

:emptyquote:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I try to avoid call out stuff but Taratang if you're gonna edit a post to make it look less weirdly aggressive than it was so you can attempt to take the moral highground I think you'd look better admitting you came off as a little unnecessarily aggressive and were just trying to help.

edit: edit for spell good

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 26, 2021

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Genuine preplanned/organized teaming to game the system (that dogstile mentioned) is extremely cheating and very bad for any game system it can occur in.

In a BR like Apex, especially in the unranked mode where organic poo poo happens where players in different squads with no communication in parallel decide they aren't going to shoot each other for some reason but do shoot other people can be funny and weird, especially if it's your first time encountering it. Is it technically teaming? Honestly yeah, but it's one of those technically against the rules but not really the spirit of said rules IMO. The spirit of the rules in this case being to stop malicious abuse of the system for personal gain.

Hell, there's been a video posted in this thread of a ranked (I think, it's been a while) game where multiple squads actively teamed up in an organic manner vs an obvious squad of aim hackers. Is that technically teaming? Hell yes. Did they get punished for it? I doubt it, and the video is still active too I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm genuinely curious if the difference people are having is because of console vs pc, or if it is indeed something entirely seperate. Pretty much all of my experience for Arenas (on PC) is either it's buggy as hell or the MM is so hosed you can go from stomping a squad of complete newbies to streaks of cracked out players 360 wingmaning you from across the map.

The closest game I've ever played took us into the overtime round and it was super fun, but that's happened like, once ever.