Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Came across a fuse carcass with 15 arc stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I like to call the hillside fort third party hill

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I used to like octane, now I love him. Finally got a 4k damage game with him this season.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Arbite posted:

Man, are more than half the teams surviving into round four more of a King's Canyon thing or an early season thing?

Thatís a noob unranked lobby or a diamond+ ranked lobby

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

The Strangest Finch posted:

So a quick google has me scratching my head a bit, from what I've found the Match History websites seem bare bones at best. Is there something else people are using for long-term stat tracking or is this just the state of things?

The only stats you can get are whatever is presented on a players banner. Itís fetched through an unofficial api.

I wish they would publish an api like pubgís, but itís been two years already.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

I think they turned the takeover event back on.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Put mastiff back in the care package and make it the old care package mastiff.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Hard disagree for me. Titan and pilot gameplay layers in TF|2 are very well done. A decent pilot can absolutely wreck a titan, and you can deck your pilot out in anti titan gear to make it even easier. Cloak and satchels go a long way. Two satchels and a rodeo will take most titans to 1/4 health and light titans to exposed reactor core.

A lot of the anti titan weapons are ez mode as well. One lock on missile, two spray and pray in the general direction of, and only one requires precision (charge rifle).

Titan vs titan gameplay is also really fun and thereís good variety in the different titans.

Almost every weapon, ability, or gameplay mechanic in apex is inspired by or directly descended from TF|2. Which is a very good thing.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Iíve been on a solo duos kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZDB-2j6G0

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

If youíve seen it, youíll know. The full auto r99 mid to close range lock on with irons. A full clip hits and deletes you. Perfect tracking/no recoil. No skill involved. Indistinguishable from an aimbot.

Itís infuriating to get downed like that and then spectating them to see how garbage of a player they are otherwise. Ie no movement, no positioning, just get in close and get a free down.

Sometimes I get good full sprays like that but itís never a perfect lockon/track because, surprise, itís practically impossible even with copious amounts of spray practice.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Reek posted:

So my game is making me force close every time I quit and recompiles the shaders every time I restart... is there a workaround to make it not do that?

Update your graphics driver? I did that and it fixed super long map preload times

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

repiv posted:

fun fact, the apex version of the CAR was shown in the very first dev stream ever

the content pipeline is deep

Sure is when all you do is stripmine guns and mechanics from previous games. Give me my freakin titans respawn!!

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

err posted:

king's canyon really is the worst map

:wrong:

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Thumbtacks posted:

do normal games have MMR too? i've noticed if i queue solo with fill my teammates are usually fairly low level (like me) and also very bad (like me)

Yes thereís a hidden MMR for unranked

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Is it just me or is it nearly impossible to find hammerpoints. Feels like I find gold re45s more often than hammer point hop up.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

dragon enthusiast posted:

hammerpoints are in the crafter today

:sickos:

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Tetrabor posted:

Unless you're dualing a charge-rifle team because you can't see anything when three beams are constantly rubbing your face with deadly light.

The solution to these degenerates is to get up in their face and stomp them because theyíve only got one close range weapon. Just push their poo poo in while they reload.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm getting a weird error in Apex. Any thoughts? I've tried verifying the files twice. (PC install via steam).

code:
Disconnect: Server recieved bad player data from storage - Pdef version VERSION HERE not in manifest. 
(error because persistence_enforce_manifest is on.).

Verify local game files?

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Can we un-nerf Horizon? It's silly her lift is on such an insanely long cooldown. She's never picked in the competitive scene, Valk basically does everything she does but better.

Maybe less cooldown but her original lift was completely broken. Good riddance.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Gating characters behind paywalls is really nasty and screams pay to win. Apex wouldnít be half as good if legend points didnít exist.

Respawn really has done it right by even soft gating skins, though they still are guilty of predatory loot box mechanics.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Respawn please get rid of or tone down aim assist. How does day 1 controller players out-aiming MNK players with years of experience make any loving sense.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Tokubetsu posted:

idk why it took me so long to realize the secret to the peacekeeper was turning the choke off

If the choke is not helping you, then youíre the problem.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Grey Fox posted:

wondering if they'll tweak anything since those maps were designed with wallrunning in mind

Could be the live fire maps which are smaller and less dependent on wall running mechanics. No titans in that mode either.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Nah they should start slapping people who dc on down with some penalties

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Yeah worlds edge is insufferable due to fragment. No other poi on any map has such a dramatic effect on drop patterns.

They really poo poo the bed with worlds edge. No more mirage voyage, no train, no sorting factory. So many changes that did nothing to improve gameplay or fun.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Just remove all the buildings with vertical zip lines so 99% of streamers or streamer wannabes stop dropping frag.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Date night duo takeover is kinda fun. Just land on a bocek loot tick and click heads. Surprisingly very little contesting going on for those despite being so powerful, especially right at the start when most players will only have white or blue shields.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Apexís game design has fallen off a cliff so I wouldnít be surprised if itís that stupid.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

EA canít help but kill the goose.

https://twitter.com/alphaINTEL/status/1768243944633008268

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Not excusing EA or Respawn at all with this, but: Most games have awful security. Lots of games are written in unsafe languages and in unsafe ways. If the server can tell a client to download a file and execute it youíre already in this kind of territory.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Also they recently laid off the apex community lead :)

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Sai-kun posted:

i miss king's canyon so bad

:same:

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

High mobility legends have a distinct advantage in solos since they can easily retreat and reset if theyíre losing a fight.

I have an iron crown badge for each available legend the last time solos was a thing so itís not as if the advantage is totally overwhelming but itís there.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is it really that difficult to just let PC players opt into a smaller PC only match making with zero aim assist? If it's longer waits, oh well.

I've tried playing Apex once or twice on a controller but it's just fundamentally not what I'm here for, I play my shooters with mkb.

It's not difficult, I just think most of the Apex devs are on roller now and don't give a poo poo about quality of life for mouse and keyboard players.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

runchild posted:

Iíve come around to the idea that maybe aim assist is overturned, and Respawn should do something about it. But this kind of absurd exaggeration is why I was resistant to believing it for a while, and the part of the discussion that really frustrates me. It is simply not true, and casts doubt on the entire issue.

Tune it down, give M+K the same level, or turn it off entirely in PC lobbies, I donít care. Iím just so sick of hearing about it.

Youíre hearing about it because it completely dominates the meta. Itís not an absurd exaggeration at all. Iíve seen players who are completely new to the game let Jesus take the wheel and one-clip experienced players with AA. Roller players can consistently out aim veteran mnk players at close range after a few weeks of practice.

Apex is not won at range. If you down someone at long range they can easily be revived before you can take advantage of it. If you want to wipe a squad the best way is to get closer whenever you have the advantage.

The state of the game is totally absurd if you play on mouse and keyboard. Theyíve taken a core mechanical skill aspect of FPS and taken a big poo poo on it. It absolutely sucks and Apex is a shell of what it was at release because of the current prevalence of roller abusers.

The easiest solution is to have separate input queues. They could implement that in a days amount of work easily. The fact that they continue to do nothing about it speaks volumes.

People are complaining about it because it ruins an otherwise excellent game for them and it doesnít have to be this way.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Youíre tired of hearing about how much aim assist sucks to play against because, what a surprise, youíre a roller player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Even if some whales stick around, it's hard to imagine they all will for this one. The sentiment I see everywhere right now is either "well gently caress the BP then" or "goodbye Apex". It might juice the numbers in the short term, but I bet long term it'll just accelerate the decline in player base.