Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault
I want this post to immortalize the fact I'm terrible at this game
Also great OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Tibalt posted:

What heroes did you unlock first/who do you recommend unlocking first?

I'm eyeing Caustic, Octane, Horizon, or maybe Fuse, but I can't really decide. I've had the most fun with Gibraltar and Bangalore.

Beelzebozo posted:

You'll unlock them all really quickly as the red mats stack up fast behind your back
The fast legend tokens thing is the most relevent part IMO, if you unlock someone you hate, it won't be long until you can get another.
As for choice, you've already got a nice list there, I'd just pick a random arbitary order (like alphabetical) and start going through them, you'll find what you like quickly enough.

I don't personally buy into the "they are good right now" thing unless you are actually wanting to play ranked and be sweaty about it. There are people here who play Rampart and enjoy playing her even though she's objectively garbage. Hell I played her when I started playing again for like a month before I swapped out to Mirage and Wattson, but I had a lot of fun in the meantime.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Holy crap, that Octane jump pad distance is wild

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Ashtarath posted:

The only line he said that felt weird was "cheers very much" which I personally have never heard but my mate reckons he hears all the time at work. The actual accent is basically perfect in my eyes.
I mentioned her accent last thread too, as a Scot almost all of her lines are spot on. Except "backpack" and "sentinel"
And yes, we say cheers very much or ta very much all the time

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Honestly I'm amazed the developers let people disrespect dibs. You could just make it prevent teammates from picking up the item for 30 seconds unless you were downed or dead in that timeframe. Would it cause problems in rare cases? Yes absolutely. Would it solve this sort of thing? Almost 100%.
I'm assuming that they didn't do this to stop people being assholes and just dibs-ing every ping
It works for the replicator since its your mats and you're not the one calling the dibs on it, it's inherent

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Simone Magus posted:

Did everyone just lose the thread since it's new? :(

I'm loving this season, the loot caches are a great way to add consistency. I very rarely feel like I'm stuck with poo poo weapons for half the match

Fuse and the 3030 are great additions as well.
Agreed, changes this season have been excellent imo. The gun balance is in a pretty good place too.
Last season I just gave up picking up heavy ammo and guns, but this season I feel like I've got a great selection across all the weapon types

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Yeah? I feel like I never want to play energy weapons unless I'm playing volt, and even then I usually rather go 99 and switch to 301 if I get the chance.

It may be a matter of taste, I guess.
Volt is the obvious pick for energy, but if I see a havok and a turbocharger in the same area, I'll pick that combo up over a lot of things.

I do agree though, there's a bit of choice wiggle room and I too am still enjoying the light AR and SMG lineup (rip g7)

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

drat these are some nice changes.
+ The survial slot
+ Wattson buff, I was playing her almost exclusively at the end of S7 and this sounds awesome
+ Rampart love, Fuse especially really could just ruin her tech
* Heat shield? Sounds cool, could see some really interesting plays outside the shield even after the event
* Gibby losing his 15% heals under his shield is a shame, I feel like they could have nerfed him in a different way that was less detrimental to team play
* RIP Caustic
* Mastiff changes sound good for the game, it'd be nice to not have to automatically pick it up every game
* No-fill, maybe we can finally laugh at the angry TTV Wraiths solo dropping and getting themselves killed 15 seconds into the game

I guess I'm just not that inspired about the takeover or the event, they both seem fine I guess. Need to play to find out if it's fun or not

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Ya'll got me nervous about my own DPI, which I've never checked
Turns out it was set to 2250

I uh, wonder what lower DPI is like

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I don't understand how they make such decent audio clips (all the guns sound great, most of the ques are great) but they suck so badly at equalisation. Like, do they not have an audio guy on the team? Or do they load the game up, hear the menu music being 50x louder than the loading music and go "COOL WE DID IT"
I r no audio man, I know it's not trivial in general, but I feel like they get all the difficult audio stuff right then gently caress up the easy stuff?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Out of curiosity, what exactly is wrong with her voice that has everyone up in arms about it?
I find her actual lines are pretty dull, it's like they got the B-team to write them.
There's not many of them.
She's not like a BAD VA but I kinda feel like her lines are forced and it's off putting

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I think it's weird how obessive people get over loot and loot quality
I've always been playing the game to try and improve myself in aiming, situational analysis/awareness and positioning. Part of all that is "what gear do I have?"
If my aim is good, my positioning is good and my awareness is good (I know what the other guy has and where he is) I can work out if it's a fight I can win or lose, then decide to fight or run. And IMO positioning, aim, movement, reactions, etc, etc are gonna get me a lot further than a gold shield. Sure a gold shield means I can take bigger risks and the buffer will allow me to squeeze more out a fight, but I could achieve the same thing by being more good, gunning down the other guy without getting hit or shield swapping.
This, of course, is all hypothetical, because I am bad. But I don't like saying "awww I would have won that if I had a gold mag and he didn't!" if I'd seen him first and beamed him before he got to use his gold mag, then it means poo poo and that's entirely on player vs player skill (aka I'm poo poo and he's good)

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

dogstile posted:

Just landing with a gun (no armour required) would vastly make the early game more fun for me. My pet hate is knowing that my movement and aim is way better than the other guy but my 4 loot piles contained attachments, meds and a thermite while he gets purple armour and a gun.
You're hot dropping wrong if you get to loot pile 4 before spamming the guy with "enemy here" pings, running at him and punching him to death with your squad in a corner :science:

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Plank Walker posted:

1) 50% of the time my buddies would follow my Mirage illusion thinking it was me
My friends hate it when I play Mirage because of this. All they do is bitch about the clones, thinking they are about to get jumped on by a solo.
Might be because I only play him infrequently, so they don't have time to get used to it, but it's pretty funny how upset they get from some ghostly footsteps

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Wow that's some toxic stuff over death boxes

Our group cites the "you should have looted faster" mantra if you bitch about getting something picked up you didn't dibs. Death boxes are free reign, doesn't matter who dropped the guy, first come first served.
There's exceptions to this, e.g. if we have a guy playing Lifeline, he probs gets the gold backpack pinged for him, Bloodhound the gold helmet, the guy who just got his shields ruined a fresh purple or something, but for the most part it's just "you were too slow, lol"

Guess it kinda comes full circle again to the whole "people care way too much about their stuff in a game about shooting people" imo

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

None of ya'll are playing the hyper aggressive W+M1 Wattson game.
I run at teams and use fences to split up teams or gtfo if it's too hot. It takes some muscle memory but I can slide, q, spam M1 behind me in an empty corridor and not lose any speed in a slide jump.
Then there's blocking zips, doors, supply ships, death boxes. People HATE her fences.
The ult is good too for the regen, although it gets shot a lot when you're in the DANGER ZONE

There's nothing funnier than dropping someone off screen because they ran through a fence you put down 5 seconds ago and chased them through.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

SteelMentor posted:

Deffo feels like people see Wattson/Rampart/Caustic and think camping is all they're good for. A reactively playing Defence character can really help an aggro W+M1 squad enter and exit fights with on the fly advantage.
Yeah, this. I don't play a lot of Rampart, but her walls can be played aggressively and used to B out a fight too.
I mean, sure they are good at hiding in a building and sniping, but I think it's unfail that people just think they can't be played otherwise.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Buildings are for squares, all I want are rocks and roofs.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I play at 90 FPS stable and I'm still bad.
I think it's because I'm not playing at 120 FPS tbh

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

MarshyMcFly posted:

Honestly I’m not a fan of comics in general because I can’t tell how the flow of some conversations go. Sometimes the panels are super confusing and I tend to read two lines from the same person first because they’re next to each other.
I'm glad this isn't just me.
I like the art, it's cute. I also read the actual plot on the wiki and it's cool and good.
But lord, I can't follow the flow at all. Not the dialog or the panel to panel action.
The one from season 7 I honest to God had no idea what was happening panel to panel, it just looked kinda cool.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

Uhhh I was in the middle of an unranked game and I got disconnected with a message saying I'd been banned.
Except I've not got an email about it and I can still log in, but I can't group with my friends. Haven't tried a solo game yet though, so I'm not sure if I can play, but something funky is going on.

Anyone had this before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

I need to rant, so please ignore this post

I mentioned a couple pages ago I got banned. 24 hours after I couldn't start a match I got an email saying I'd been banned for cheating. Well, I don't cheat as far as I know. The only thing I can think of that could remotely count as cheating would be either:
a. tap strafing, which I've never heard a single soul being banned for
b. some mouse acceleration I tried out for about 10 mins before I uninstalled it because I didn't like it like a month ago

My only saving grace is I decided not to get battle pass this season due to some work time constraints and now I'm gonna miss the rest of the season, because EA has locked down their appeals to a single email address with a "minimum 2 week waiting time" which people are complaining they haven't heard back in months from, or at all.
Sure I could create a new account, but I've put time, money and my username on that account. Instead, cos my friends aren't assholes, we just resubbed to FFXIV and played that instead. But I'm still bitter as all hell I can't play my favourite pick up and play BR for 20 mins of fun or see the new takeover (even if it's crap) and I don't really know why.

It's not even like I'm good at the game, I have a well sub 1.0 KDR and I barely win games. I can only assume Easy Anti Cheat picked up a false positive on my PC and auto banned me.
Sorry for the rant, I'm kinda mad. I'll just go back to mining in fantasy land until I get unbanned or not I guess.